Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
[POLL]Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming!
[POLL]How Do You Search Within Text?

Biometric Security - Face ID vs Fingerprint Scanner vs Iris Scanner

yindanyindan Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 26, 2017 7:04PM in Consumer Lab

Time for a poll!

Apple's iPhone X launches tomorrow October 27, 2017, and with it comes a new way for customers to unlock, authenticate and pay using Face ID.

We'd like to hear your thoughts on Biometric security. Do you prefer the more traditional methods or are you looking toward what the future holds?

1. Please select one of the options below.
  2. Let us know how you currently unlock your phone and why you choose that method in the comments below.

Biometric Security - Face ID vs Fingerprint Scanner vs Iris Scanner 71 votes

Face ID
2%
awatsonarthurwinchest 2 votes
Fingerprint scanner
73%
coldheat06sshasanrazor512cyberdyneaustin45melvinchngravenaley14jasonegagdudemobilegeezersamsamhachuckbortruntohell121louisdhollapmusicdjmrkpjabird101benkoresjasonscarter 52 votes
Iris Scanner
19%
frodriguez2010maulgandhiDoppelgangerDantoniodnewman007fzrrichwestside80jimlloyd40mrjlwilliamsromeowings4annieblujdeemonyturnc86 14 votes
Others
1%
cf07 1 vote
No Preference
2%
ironbaybeedollwms 2 votes

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2017 7:23PM
    Iris Scanner

I think Face ID may actually be easier to duplicate than fingerprint scanning.
    I'm not sure I would trust it, but I'm also not formally educated on it's technical abilities, so I guess you can call me a skeptic.
    I have been using Fingerprint Scanners on my phones the last couple of years and I think it's a great feature.
    Iris Scanning sounds very high tech and expensive, but it will be interesting to see how technology in this area progresses going forward.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2017 8:17PM
    Fingerprint scanner

Fingerprint reader. I like to be able to unlock the phone as I pull it out of my pocket so its already is unlocked by the time I look at it.

I am open to an Iris or some kind of face recognition, but not at the sacrifice of the fingerprint reader at this time until I know it consistently works 100% of the time.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I use the fingerprint on most phones & think of it as dependable and secure. I do use that and face recognition on my V30, because it seems quicker and better developed than on any of my other devices.

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams United StatesPosts: 422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Iris Scanner

I like fingerprint readers, but I would like to see an iris scanner as the default going forward on phones. But having the fingerprint reader as a back option would be good. Iris scanners are SUPER FAST!!!!

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

Having used the Axon 7 with the finger print on the back of the phone, I feel that is the most natural way of unlocking the phone. I can quickly pick my phone up with finger rested there where once I got to my face, it's already unlocked and ready to be used.

I wear glass so Iris scanner may not work as well for me. Face ID can be cool as well though, but I think I need to see how well it really works until the phone is launched. I still feel that compare to FP, it can be a tad slower in the sense that I still need to look at the phone to unlock whereas FP, I can unlock it even before it is in front of me.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

Depends on what type of phone we are talking about. Flagship level phones I think should have both iris and fingerprint scanners. But devices like the mini I would be fine with just a fingerprint scanner. Eventually the fingerprint scanner may go the way of the headphone jack depending on cost of other methods. I have never used face or iris scanners, so I can't speak to the accuracy or security of them. But not including them keeps the costs of a Flagship device under $500 I'd be fine with that.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I often unlock my device when it is flat on my desk with a variety of fingers and face and Iris cannot replace this, but I could be swayed for more than one to be supported.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,085 mod
    Iris Scanner

I voted iris because it's what I use most with my Galaxy Note 8 and it works well. However I still do use the fingerprint scanner as well on the device. On all of my other devices I solely use the fingerprint scanner. It's reliable and works 95% of the time. The rare occasions that my hands are wet my take a bit longer to unlock but it's really not an issue. As for Face id, well I can't judge what I haven't tried ;)

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MAPosts: 3,104 mod
    Fingerprint scanner

I like the fingerprint scanner as an unlock method especially since apps are now gaining support for them years later so now it doesnt just unlock your phone it also allow secure access into apps, this is something that unless native android support app developers arent going to recode there apps for each OEMS different unlock methods this make a fingerprint sensor a MUST have on any future device.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

If the iPhone X had gone with the fingerprint scanner or maybe even iris scanner on the back then that unsightly notch could have been much smaller and the phone would have been cheaper.

I do prefer fingerprint scanner as they can work as another button such as sliding for the notification shade or as a power button for the LG phones.

• genenshellie4evergenenshellie4ever DenverPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

How to factory reset my ZTE

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Iris Scanner

@genenshellie4ever said:
    How to factory reset my ZTE

Which model ZTE phone do you have?
    You should try to navigate to the part of the forum that is dedicated to your specific device, or in the "other products" forum, and create a new topic asking for assistance, but we need the model of your device.

• rkprkp GaithersburgPosts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

i prefer fingerprint. am using ZTE Axon 7

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

@westside80 said:
    I chose iris scanner because I absolutely loved it on my old s8 Plus. I wish every phone had an iris scanner. It would even unlock my phone through my sunglasses. It was also maybe even faster than the fingerprint scanner on the s8 Plus. It was just so convenient to be able to pick up my phone, look at it and then it unlocks. I was kind of a drag to have to go back to using the fingerprint scanner when I got my Pixel XL. My second choice would be the fingerprint scanner but the best way to unlock your phone is the iris scanner, in my opinion, as long as it's implemented like it was on the s8 and you can use it even when the screen is off. The best combination is the iris scanner with a fingerprint scanner as a backup. If I have to choose only one though, it would be the iris.

I didn't know the phone scanned your iris when the screen was off.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

@westside80 said:

@saeedted said:

@westside80 said:
    I chose iris scanner because I absolutely loved it on my old s8 Plus. I wish every phone had an iris scanner. It would even unlock my phone through my sunglasses. It was also maybe even faster than the fingerprint scanner on the s8 Plus. It was just so convenient to be able to pick up my phone, look at it and then it unlocks. I was kind of a drag to have to go back to using the fingerprint scanner when I got my Pixel XL. My second choice would be the fingerprint scanner but the best way to unlock your phone is the iris scanner, in my opinion, as long as it's implemented like it was on the s8 and you can use it even when the screen is off. The best combination is the iris scanner with a fingerprint scanner as a backup. If I have to choose only one though, it would be the iris.

I didn't know the phone scanned your iris when the screen was off.

It doesn't by default. You have to toggle the setting on. After you do that, it'll unlock your phone with the screen off. Best thing ever!

That is a pretty cool feature @westside80. Do you know if there is battery drain at all because of it?

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Iris Scanner

I voted Iris scanner.
    Back when I bought my first fingerprint scanner phone, I said noway would I use the fingerprint to open phone, well now I use it all the time.
    Face I'd.. well since the women in the family all look similar, that's no security, not Tha I need that with family.
    I think the Iris scanner would be cool.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,679 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

Voted Fingerprint scanner,

less hassle when low light to no light at all, compare to the rest of Biometrics security methods.....

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

Fingerprint scanner is the most efficient method as it requires the fewest number of physical actions to unlock a device. it is the only secure method that allows you to have the device unlocked and ready to use while you are in the process of bringing the device into your view.

Face ID is the worst as, based on the Apple design, the IR dots that it uses for depth mapping, will likely not work if there is sunlight shining on your face.

The sun gives off a lot of IR light (more IR light than visible light). https://i.imgur.com/rvIc6KI.png

In such cases, you will either have a downgrade in security when the lighting is too high for the IR lamp to work, or you will have the device request a password when the environment is too bright for the IR dots to be seen.

An iris scanner does not offer better security than fingerprints, all while taking longer to unlock a device, as well as requiring uncommon device positioning in order to get a proper iris scan.

• No Preference

While I definitely love seeing technology moving ahead, I'm not sold on face ID or other facial recognition. I think we need choices, and would love to see more than one option on a device. I chose no preference as I think each has its own highlights and falls.

Fingerprint scanner

I consider the delay to be for the entire process.

With a fingerprint scanner, in one motion,I pull the phone out and touch the scanner, and by the time the screen is facing in the direction of my face,it is already unlocked and ready to use.

With an iris scanner, you have to be looking directly at the scanner, and it will not work in all lighting conditions, especially ones with lots of IR present.
    An iris scanner also doesn't work well for city/ public transportation use where you may want to carefully pull the phone out and peek down at it to check on some info without having it be visible to others. This reduces the chance that someone will make their way to your location on a bur or train, and then at a stop, punch you in the face as hard as possible and then use that chance to rob you.

Fingerprint scanner

I agree on that, it is always good to have more options. While if cost is a concern then sometimes you cannot have all of the hardware options available, but on the software side of things, give the user as much control as possible.

One issue is that the optical security measures are easier to fool than fingerprint scanners.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/samsung-galaxy-s8-iris-scanner-fooled-by-a-photo/

With a fingerprint scanner, the process is more involved and requires more expensive equipment than what is needed to fool an iris scanner.

As for face ID, I will have to wait and see if a folded paper cutout of a face in an environment with a high level of ambient IR light can fool it.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

Fingerprint is my primary method for unlocking the device. I do have a Samsung Galaxy S8 with an iris scanner and use it occasionally, but still not as convenient as the fingerprint reader.

I'm sort of looking forward on trying the Face ID from Apple and see how well that actually works whenever my pre-order comes in ;) But fingerprint is my prefer method still.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Iris Scanner

fingerprint is my primary but really have no preference. I've used iris and face recognition. I know that the technology is changing so we must adjust with the times.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, TexasPosts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingerprint scanner

I voted for Fingerprint reader. I believe that it is the most secure but I can see bigger phones using face recognition due to the placement of the fingerprint scanner and the size of the phone.