ZTE Axon M available now from AT&T +$100 Visa Card

DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of CeremoniesUnited States Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2, 2017 1:07AM in Axon M

. . . . . https://www.zteusa.com/axon-m . . . . . https://www.att.com/cellphones/zte/axon-m.html . . . . .

Get a $100 Visa Reward Card when you buy a ZTE Axon M. See offer details.

YouTube How-To Vids
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWWnygWGUF4kzgb27IN6s3Q/search?query=Axon+M

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I would be interested in the sucessor to the Axon M after its been refined and sold as an unlocked phone so that I can use it on T-MO.

I don't disagree. There seems to be a lot of room for refinement, and I'm sure there will be in future iterations.
    We have already seen prototype devices of more advanced bendable/foldable tablets/phones, but those are more distant in the future for sure. This is a good start though. Just a fun device that's more practical for some as opposed to others. It will be interesting to follow it's progress.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Find!!! Thanks @DoppelgangerD

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great fine, it's nice to see some promotions for the device.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Launching same time as iPhone X won't help the sales numbers. After the 15th when it's in stores, go to ATT and see where this phone is placed. Hopefully not in the back corner where Windows Phones used to be. iPhone will be front and center.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@samsamha said:

They've already had to resort to promotions? JK :D

Almost every flagship does this a week after announcement. The carrier usually throws in incentives like gift cards, VR headsets, etc. It's a shame prices are artificially high when releases first happen.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@samsamha said:

Almost every flagship does this a week after announcement. The carrier usually throws in incentives like gift cards, VR headsets, etc. It's a shame prices are artificially high when releases first happen.

@hollap I know that you know this but still you posted it - - I did put JK and a smiley face so obviously I was just kidding.

LOL yeah I do know it. Others may not understand your sly version of wit like I do :D

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@samsamha said:

@hollap I know that you know this but still you posted it - - I did put JK and a smiley face so obviously I was just kidding.

LOL yeah I do know it. Others may not understand your sly version of wit like I do :D

Next time besides typing JK :D I'll add "wink wink" also.

Anything that can get people to check out the M is cool. While people may think it's a bit gimicky, it actually has some practical use to it. So I like how it gets people to at least play with it to see if the phone is right for them. You know we are all big suckers for promos:)

• bgtxbgtx Posts: 20 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017 3:02PM

It does have practical use, but I still think people will turn away from the AT&T marriage and the use of old CPU/GPU, especially with a 750 price tag? ZTE placed this thing into NON budget phone territory. So, IMO, it's not going to be as big a hit as ZTE thinks it will.

If anything, I will wait for the 2nd or 3rd Gen of that model, and that's after my wife and I both liking the videos on youtube, then being let down by specs, so it's not like I WANT to bash ZTE for this. I have said all along, rumor is Samsung is coming out with a similar product, so they rushed this to market IMO.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bgtx said:
    It does have practical use, but I still think people will turn away from the AT&T marriage and the use of old CPU/GPU, especially with a 750 price tag? ZTE placed this thing into NON budget phone territory. So, IMO, it's not going to be as big a hit as ZTE thinks it will.

If anything, I will wait for the 2nd or 3rd Gen of that model, and that's after my wife and I both liking the videos on youtube, then being let down by specs, so it's not like I WANT to bash ZTE for this. I have said all along, rumor is Samsung is coming out with a similar product, so they rushed this to market IMO.

Sorry but "use of old CPU/GPU" made me laugh a little.
    I've seen a lot of discussion, articles, reviews etc.. of the M and none of them mention anything about the processing not being up to snuff. So I think the processing is likely just fine.
    I do understand that for the MSRP you may expect the very best, but I think the asset of this particular device isn't a jaw dropping list of 'specs', but the multi-screen/tablet-esque/multitasking capabilities are.

Also, AT&T is offering early adopters a $100 Visa gift card with the purchase of the M,
    so that takes little bit of the sting off the MSRP.

I also doubt "they rushed this to market". They were doing research on it quite a long time ago.
    IIRC they may have even had a public survey asking about this type of product.
    If anything I would think they may have been planning an earlier release, but possibly delayed by app developers who have had to optimize their apps for this very specific device.
    That may also explain why it has the processor it does and not something newer.
    That's just an educated guess on my part though.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

First you need to understand that AT&T played a big part in the M. I can see lots of practical uses for it and the processor wouldn't be a problem. For me it would be more of a media consumption phone than a daily driver because of the bulk of it. I can see business people being very interested also. I don't think that ZTE rushed it to market at all. From the videos that I've seen it looks pretty darn good and will only get better. ZTE is to be congratulated

Not so much AT&T as Docomo in Japan. They are the ones that sanctioned the phone. Either way, it's hard to determine how much input ZTE actually had in design and specs of this device.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

First you need to understand that AT&T played a big part in the M. I can see lots of practical uses for it and the processor wouldn't be a problem. For me it would be more of a media consumption phone than a daily driver because of the bulk of it. I can see business people being very interested also. I don't think that ZTE rushed it to market at all. From the videos that I've seen it looks pretty darn good and will only get better. ZTE is to be congratulated

Not so much AT&T as Docomo in Japan. They are the ones that sanctioned the phone. Either way, it's hard to determine how much input ZTE actually had in design and specs of this device.

Interesting to know about Docomo.

ZTE is in the market of mid to lower priced phones WITH great/current specs and an affordable price. Axon 7 is a good example, which I own. To go and put the M to market with "old" tech, and charge Samsung prices is not appealing to anyone I have shown this too, which so far is about 40 people (business related BTW, to get their feedback). Even if they started design 2 or 3 years ago, concept/development/testing, it's normal to change specs on the fly. There is typically many "versions" of a product before launch.

If One+ and Xiaomi can put 6/8 Mg of RAM, over 64/128/256 storage on a single plane device, with HD screens and still be in the $450-$600 MSRP range, why in the heck would ZTE push their "flagship" with only 4 Gb of Ram/64 Gb of storage/1080p screens with a small battery? That's coming straight from ZTE's page. Now, if they put the cost of this phone in the $400 - $550 price range, maybe. Heck, they couldn't even put their proven, year old, Axon 7 screen in this "flagship". These are the same types of things that were brought up when I talked to the above people, and most aren't cell phone guru's, but they know the specs of their current devices.

Sure, some people won't care, but what segment of user did ZTE say they were targeting? If you have ever worked with Sales, Marketing, and CEO staff, they are a major pain in the rear when it comes to the "latest and greatest" flash when in front of a potential client. It would be like putting a carb'd V8 into a new 2018 Ford or Chevy, then charging Porsche prices.

Anyways, I like ZTE products, but I predict low sales on this thing, even though I personally really want it to do well, which means future improvements. I am looking at it from a business viewpoint, not my personal feelings. When I have to put in a Req for purchase and forecasting, I have to take a lot of things into consideration before things get approved. I have to base my opinion on 30 years in tech and management when spending and supporting staff. I won't have the M in the line up right now, esp paying $650-$750 of the company's funds for it in it's current state. Your mileage may vary.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

ZTE is in the market of mid to lower priced phones WITH great/current specs and an affordable price. Axon 7 is a good example, which I own. To go and put the M to market with "old" tech, and charge Samsung prices is not appealing to anyone I have shown this too, which so far is about 40 people (business related BTW, to get their feedback). Even if they started design 2 or 3 years ago, concept/development/testing, it's normal to change specs on the fly. There is typically many "versions" of a product before launch.

If One+ and Xiaomi can put 6/8 Mg of RAM, over 64/128/256 storage on a single plane device, with HD screens and still be in the $450-$600 MSRP range, why in the heck would ZTE push their "flagship" with only 4 Gb of Ram/64 Gb of storage/1080p screens with a small battery? That's coming straight from ZTE's page. Now, if they put the cost of this phone in the $400 - $550 price range, maybe. Heck, they couldn't even put their proven, year old, Axon 7 screen in this "flagship". These are the same types of things that were brought up when I talked to the above people, and most aren't cell phone guru's, but they know the specs of their current devices.

Sure, some people won't care, but what segment of user did ZTE say they were targeting? If you have ever worked with Sales, Marketing, and CEO staff, they are a major pain in the rear when it comes to the "latest and greatest" flash when in front of a potential client. It would be like putting a carb'd V8 into a new 2018 Ford or Chevy, then charging Porsche prices.

Anyways, I like ZTE products, but I predict low sales on this thing, even though I personally really want it to do well, which means future improvements. I am looking at it from a business viewpoint, not my personal feelings. When I have to put in a Req for purchase and forecasting, I have to take a lot of things into consideration before things get approved. I have to base my opinion on 30 years in tech and management when spending and supporting staff. I won't have the M in the line up right now, esp paying $650-$750 of the company's funds for it in it's current state. Your mileage may vary.

The Axon M is not a flagship device. It's a niche market product that I'm sure ZTE does not expect to sell in large numbers especially when it's an AT&T exclusive. Nearly 70 % of the market uses cellular plans that are not AT&T. Did you want ZTE to tell Docomo no? I still say congratulations to ZTE for making a very nice first time phone. To what extent ZTE had any say in the price of the M is unknown.

I disagree. Even though it's a niche product which they don't expect to sell in large numbers I do believe it's a flagship device. Anything with the Axon name tagged on it I would consider their flagship line. While the Axon line may not complete in specs with other flagship lines, it's still ZTE's flagship line.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

The Axon M is not a flagship device. It's a niche market product that I'm sure ZTE does not expect to sell in large numbers especially when it's an AT&T exclusive. Nearly 70 % of the market uses cellular plans that are not AT&T. Did you want ZTE to tell Docomo no? I still say congratulations to ZTE for making a very nice first time phone. To what extent ZTE had any say in the price of the M is unknown.

I disagree. Even though it's a niche product which they don't expect to sell in large numbers I do believe it's a flagship device. Anything with the Axon name tagged on it I would consider their flagship line. While the Axon line may not complete in specs with other flagship lines, it's still ZTE's flagship line.

So now the word "flagship" is a line of phones and not a particular phone? If and when the Axon 8 comes out I would consider it the flagship. So therefore you would consider the Axon 7 Mini a flagship @hollap? I sure wouldn't even though it uses the name Axon. Based on that a Chevrolet Sonic is an equivalent flagship to a Chevrolet Impala. I think that we're debating semantics now.

This is just my opinion. And yes, I consider the Axon line of devices ZTE's Flagship line of Devices. I think of it this way. Not all Cadillacs are equal. But they are the Flagship line of vehicles from GM. Chevy = Blade Series. That's just the way I see it. Doesn't mean that's right.

So now the word "flagship" is a line of phones and not a particular phone? If and when the Axon 8 comes out I would consider it the flagship. So therefore you would consider the Axon 7 Mini a flagship @hollap? I sure wouldn't even though it uses the name Axon. Based on that a Chevrolet Sonic is an equivalent flagship to a Chevrolet Impala. I think that we're debating semantics now.

I think the word "flagship" is universally used by cell companies and reviewers as their top priced, "revolutionary", top end phone(s). The M sure is more expensive than even the Axon 7 and not even close to an ZMAX Pro or an XL in price point, wouldn't you agree? You can check their own verbiage description on ZTE's website for the M. And although hollap may have not used the best description, I understand what he was alluding to. Yes, semantics I guess.

So you are saying, that in a business market that is extremely competitive, ZTE created a product that they expect to fail in or just be mediocre, and even AT&T is expecting the same outcome? You can't really believe that, can you? With all their launch hype, ZTE just expects this high priced model to be a so so, and not highly popular, device? Sorry, don't believe that and anyone in business would get laughed out of the place if their VP of Sales sold that business model to it's shareholders or Exec staff.

@jimlloyd40 said:

We don't even know if it was ZTE 's idea to build the M. It could have been Docomo' s idea and ZTE was chosen as the manufacturer based on bids or interest and capabilities. And I didn't say that ZTE expects it to fail. Just not sell in large volumes because it can't sell in large volumes due to the AT&T exclusivity. No matter how much I might want the M there's no way that I'm switching to AT&T.

Exactly, that pairing I believe will be the biggest hit to ZTE in terms of the venture. Hopefully ZTE will come out with a better unit after the first few months of feedback and real world R&D, and either sell as Unlocked or with the other carriers.

• RodneyRodney usaPosts: 5 ✭✭

Grrr already sold out. Any idea when it will be available again?

@Rodney said:
    Grrr already sold out. Any idea when it will be available again?

Wow, really? Is that just online where you saw the sold out status?
    I think they should be available at AT&T stores starting this weekend.

Welcome to Z-Community BTW. Let us know if you're able to acquire one this weekend.