Individual Notification Ring Tones

dekiscool1974dekiscool1974 Gardner, MAPosts: 8 ✭✭✭

Ok...so I recently switched from a Galaxy S5 to the ZTE Max XL N9560. I had everything working fine on the S5...but switched carriers and decided on a new phone. The Max XL, in the contacts, has the option to add individual ringtones and notification/text tones. The ringtones work beautifully. The individual text tones...not so much. It will only play the default text tone which I downloaded from Zedge. I have put all the text tones into the Notification folder, but that hasn't helped. I reformatted the audio files so there is an mp3, an m4a and an ogg version...none work as an individual contact tone. Just keeps playing the same default one, even though I can see on a contacts page they have their own tone. The other issue is that when I download from Zedge, it only gives me an option to set as default, not as just one persons text tone. But ringtones from Zedge can be set as one persons ringtone Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

HI, @dekiscool1974 , welcome to the community.

I do not have the Max XL here to test but are you using the stock messaging apps? With my ZTE device, the custom notification sound only works with the default messaging apps. When I switch to google messaging then the custom notification sound in the contact will not work.

• dekiscool1974dekiscool1974 Gardner, MAPosts: 8 ✭✭✭

@samsamha said:

I do not have the Max XL here to test but are you using the stock messaging apps? With my ZTE device, the custom notification sound only works with the default messaging apps. When I switch to google messaging then the custom notification sound in the contact will not work.

Yes I am using the default messaging app. Now, at times, it seems that my phone is now replacing the tone I specify for someone and puts it back to default. I spent time with an online tech person yesterday regarding this. The last thing he had me do is reset the defaults on the device. This did not work however. For some reason, it seemed like if I was texting someone, if I clicked on the 3 dot menu button and went to People and Options, I could choose their text tone, but if I deleted the text, it would go back to default. Now if I try it, it sets it to silent.

It's not an overly big deal I guess, just something I like to do so I know who is texting...

Thanks for any help!

@dekiscool1974 said:

@samsamha said:

Yes I am using the default messaging app. Now, at times, it seems that my phone is now replacing the tone I specify for someone and puts it back to default. I spent time with an online tech person yesterday regarding this. The last thing he had me do is reset the defaults on the device. This did not work however. For some reason, it seemed like if I was texting someone, if I clicked on the 3 dot menu button and went to People and Options, I could choose their text tone, but if I deleted the text, it would go back to default. Now if I try it, it sets it to silent.

It's not an overly big deal I guess, just something I like to do so I know who is texting...

Thanks for any help!

Something else I noticed...with my S5, my Notifications would show up in the Notifications list. But with the Mx XL, even though I put the notification tones in the notification folder, when I go to set a notification tone, I have 3 tabs...Notifications, Music and Recordings. My tones show up under the Music tab. Don't know if this has anything to do with it? When I put my notification tones in the notification folder, it was empty. It didn't have the default tones that come with the phone.

hi, @dekiscool1974 , it is correct that the sound will show up on the music tab. Only the default sound files stored in the system folder (not the notification or the ringtone folder that you see when you open the file explorer, which will show up under music) will show up in the appropriate tab (ringtone or notification).

I can get the customize notification and ringtone working on my Z Max. I tried with the default ringtone that is built into the phone and also select a file stored in the notification folder and both works.

When you did a reset to the default, did you try to clear the cache. Have you try just do a factory reset and do not install the Zedge and just use the default ringtone and notification sound to see if it works (just in case somehow the app mess up with the sound folder).

I have no issues with different ringtones for different contacts. That works just fine. It is just the different text notifications for different contacts that is the issue. It just plays the default text notification tone. Whatever I put as the default, will play when I get a text, rather than what ever I assigned to a specific contact. I can try to do a factory reset and not reinstall Zedge...which won't be a huge loss. They don't really have much I like anyway. I will let you know if it works.

Well I am back...nothing changed after the factory reset. Still can't give individual contacts their own text notification tones. It loaded most of my contacts back in for me. I just used the tones that come with the phone...I have not added any of my own things back on. It seems to only want to play the default tone.

@dekiscool1974 said:
    Well I am back...nothing changed after the factory reset. Still can't give individual contacts their own text notification tones. It loaded most of my contacts back in for me. I just used the tones that come with the phone...I have not added any of my own things back on. It seems to only want to play the default tone.

Mmh, really not sure what is the problem here. I wonder if this can be related to the carrier.

You mentioned that it works with the 3 dots in the texting app so I guess you may have to rely on that for the time being or just use 1 sound for all of the text notification. I did some googling and there were other people saying that is how their phone works with the 3 dots (various devices from diff manufacturers) custom text notification.

The only downside of using the 3 dots menu is, if I delete the text, then I start from scratch and have to redo the tone in the menu

So, I contacted support once again. Finally, it was discovered that even though there is an option to have a individual contact notification/text tone, the phone does not actually support it. The lady I spoke to was going to express an email to the tech department to work on this issue and at some point, maybe they will put out a bug fix for this issue. This sucks...lol

That is good to know. Keep us posted if future update adds such feature into the phone. Sometimes these carrier dependent apps can have odd behavior like this where it works on one carrier but not on other due to carrier provision.