Cant connect to pc

Kain13Kain13 texasPosts: 16 ✭✭✭

I just bought my zte max xl phone yesterday from best buy. virgin mobile is the carrier.
I can not hook to computer. the phone just dings alot even selecting the mtp setting.
is there a way to download the drivers. it wont let me download em from the phone.
and the computer says there are no drivers for this device.

Comments

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,611 mod
    edited December 2, 2017 9:50PM

@Kain13 On phone, Settings>Connect to PC>Install Driver. Have you tried this, or is this what you mean by "wont let me download em from the phone"

• Kain13Kain13 texasPosts: 16 ✭✭✭

yes i tried that and there is a thing you can put when connecting to a computer above mtp setting that says the phone will download em. tried deleting drivers on puter and after restart it puts em back on but no dice yet.

i contacted zte and they said i have to get a computer that runs windows 7, 8 or xp
    that it wont work with windows 10.I wish i would have known this before i bought the thing.

transfer music to it.i have 6 gigs of music want to put some of it on my phone.
    they told me windows 7 would work and it does the same thing when you hook phone to it.
    it dings a lot and the computer wont recognize the device.

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kain13 said:
    transfer music to it.i have 6 gigs of music want to put some of it on my phone.
    they told me windows 7 would work and it does the same thing when you hook phone to it.
    it dings a lot and the computer wont recognize the device.

@Kain13 I don't have that phone, but please give me a little bit. I have a Blade Zmax. And alot of computers. Windows 10, windows 8.
    Let me experiment. Have you attached the phone to windows 7 then when installing the phone use mass storage?.
    Or if all else fails. Put micro SD card in adapter, put in computer/laptop.
    Transfer music from computer to SD card and then put SD card in phone.

But I will get back to you on computer recognize phone.

yes i have a lap top that runs 7 and it does same thing
    will try sd card trick and see if that works

@Kain13 said:
    yes i have a lap top that runs 7 and it does same thing
    will try sd card trick and see if that works

SD card trick should work.
    Let me know
    If not then I can get you driver's and send to you. We need our music!!

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,366 admin

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and I can confirm that the driver installation works perfectly and install immediately. Photo attached...

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,366 admin

Make sure to have "Developer Options" enabled and "USB Debugging" turned on.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,611 mod

@Kain13 I am using Windows 10 laptop. I plugged the phone in, hit install drivers on the phone, laptop confirms this in bottom right corner. I then select MTP on phone. I am able to access my files without issue.

nothing has worked so far, not even sd card trick

edited December 4, 2017 7:55PM

@Kain13 said:
    nothing has worked so far, not even sd card trick

I am so sorry to hear that.
    On your phone let's check something out I know you said you already have mtp
    Go to settings
    Connect to pc
    Mark mtp and USB debugging.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What is the SD card trick @Kain13? I have a several ZTE phones but not this exact one. As long as I have MTP selected and plug it into the computer they've all worked from Windows 8 and up to 10.

Have you tried a different USB cable or a different USB port? Also, have you made sure to have the phone unlocked before connecting it? It should work if you unlock after connecting but it's nice to start it off unlocked and on the home screen to make sure.

Alternatively, you could try using a file manager such as Solid Explorer that allows you to browse your network and copy the files over WiFi.

@Kain13 how's it going?
    Did you get your laptop to see, phone?
    I got to thinking last night you must be real frustrated, and I understand.
    Maybe you can email your music to yourself and then music would be on you email and you can download.
    Let us know, we are here with you.

well the sd card trick is to take the sd card out of the phone and put it in a sd card reader and put music on it from the computer.but the sd card wont work in anything but your phone.
    just had an update on my pc so i was going to try again and see if it works.

I was contacted by ZTE customer service and they wanted me to send them my phone (on my dime) and be without a phone for 3 weeks. and i told em that won't work need the phone that's why i bought a new one when the old one crapped out on me.

and i tried to email the music to myself and the phone couldnt open the file.

@Kain13 I am so sorry you are going through this. Ok I have a couple of questions.
    What type of music files are you trying to transfer? Mp3? Wma?
    And your SD is formatted for internal memory on your phone?
    If you don't mind I will put a song in this thread and can you see if you can get it from your phone. Please give me about an hour.

edited December 9, 2017 1:28PM

@Kain13 ok here is a song.
    You probably don't listen to country.
    Please just see if you can get song and play,
    Let me know
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJ6WAL42GpND_WeKJREVcJc6vm7kRs-F/view?usp=drivesdk
    This is mp3

I'm using Google drive.

I've done this so called SD card "trick" in the past but never referred to it as a trick haha. I was thinking maybe there was something new I was unaware of and tricky you could do with an SD card. My question would be, why doesn't your SD card work in your computer? It seems like there is an issue with your SD card or perhaps your computer.

My other questions would be, can your phone read the SD card? Also, have you tried a different USB cable or USB port on the computer?

wwell the phone formated the sd card to only work in the phone

my phone does not show enable usb debugging, and no go on any platform guess ill get me a music player just for music

@Kain13 when you tried to email yourself the music. Was the music file (last 3 letter after . )
    Wma.
    I will explain because the phone wouldn't open the file, I'm thinking it is wma and Android doesn't recognize it.
    Don't worry we can convert all wma to mp3.
    Let's just pin point this.
    Wma normally happens when I put music on my laptop from CDs.

A phone can format an SD card but it should still work in your PC. Unless you formatted it as internal storage and then you should never remove it. I'm unsure if this phone supports adoptable storage though because most phones disable this option.

For USB debugging I believe you have to enable that first in the settings. Which requires going into Settings, About, and tapping on the build number several times until you see it say you are now a developer. Then you can go into Settings, developer settings and enable USB debugging from there.

However, there should be no need to do this and you still have not answered if you have tried another USB cable or USB port on the computer. Have you tried connecting it to a different computer? You also have not answered @wings4annie's questions about the file format.

@jasone said:
    A phone can format an SD card but it should still work in your PC. Unless you formatted it as internal storage and then you should never remove it. I'm unsure if this phone supports adoptable storage though because most phones disable this option.

For USB debugging I believe you have to enable that first in the settings. Which requires going into Settings, About, and tapping on the build number several times until you see it say you are now a developer. Then you can go into Settings, developer settings and enable USB debugging from there.

However, there should be no need to do this and you still have not answered if you have tried another USB cable or USB port on the computer. Have you tried connecting it to a different computer? You also have not answered @wings4annie's questions about the file format.

I think the file format is wma, which will not play on Android. But @Kain13 can convert to mp3.
    And either email to himself or put on Google drive to download.
    Thanks @jasone

i will convert the files and try again to email em to myself

Great let us know.
    No sense in carrying 2 devices.
    And music is important.
    If you need a conversation app, let me know

well it is a long process but i converted em to mp3 and emailed 4 at a time and it works. only 187 to go........