Saving battery life.

SKOLSKOL WashingtonPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some tricks saving battery life through the day. Maybe something's I should turn off, force stop. I'm looking for a YouTube video of things I can do without to save battery. I mean I'm watching the battery drain and I'm just answering text messages, I don't spend a lot of time on Twitter or Facebook and always clear app running in the background

Comments

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How long does your battery last?
    I can go 6 to 8 hours

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2017 5:12PM
    • Auto-brightness on
    • Keep the screen timeout low (15 sec-1min)
    • Keep your phone away from heat as much as possible
    • Use Wi-Fi Calling and turn on airplane mode in areas where you have bad or no service
    • Turn on airplane mode when you don't need to use any radios at all
    • Only have WiFi, data, bluetooth on when you need to use them
    • Turn on Data Saver
    • Either turn location off or have it on Battery saving when you don't use a navigation app
    • Turn off Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning in location settings
    • Have battery saver automatically turn on at 15%
    • Turn off notifications completely for apps you don't need notifications from
    • Turn off syncing for stuff which you don't need automatic sync for
    • Only use the second screen when you need to
    • DON'T clear recent apps as you will actually use MORE battery to reload them
    • Use alternative apps for Facebook and Twitter as they are notorious battery hogs

That's all I got.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wings4annie said:
    I can go 6 to 8 hours

@wings4annie do you mean 6 to 8 hours of screen on time or 6 to 8 hours total? If it's the 6 to 8 hours SOC that's great.

edited December 7, 2017 9:52AM

@SKOL check @hollap 's guide for battery life.

https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/13787/battery-life-tips-and-tricks
    I'll also add going through the apps "permissions and notifications".

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wings4annie said:
    I can go 6 to 8 hours

@wings4annie do you mean 6 to 8 hours of screen on time or 6 to 8 hours total? If it's the 6 to 8 hours SOC that's great.

I get 6hours on screen, 8 hours then about 20%

@wings4annie said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wings4annie said:
    I can go 6 to 8 hours

I get 6hours on screen, 8 hours then about 20%

That's fantastic SOT. Especially considering it's driving two screens and a relatively small battery.

• navysonnavyson USPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also activate the "Doze" option on your phone or you can alternatively download the "Doze" app which gives you more options

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know that WiFi scanning and Bluetooth scanning use that much extra battery. I'm sure they may use a little extra but I'm not sure it's enough to worry about. They are supposed to help apps locate you easier which should, in theory, help with battery life a little. I just hate getting a phone and having to start going through and turning off features that I don't really want to turn off in order to get good battery life. I've tried turning off Bluetooth and wifi scanning on my Pixel XL and then leaving them turned on and I'm noticing much difference in battery life either way. That's just me though. Your results may vary. I've also heard people say that adaptive brightness uses more battery than manually adjusting the brightness. Again, I have no proof that that's the case. Also, I saw that someone mentioned using different apps for Facebook and Twitter but they left out Snapchat. Snapchat uses more battery than either Facebook or Twitter. I agree with clearing apps out the background all the time. Don't do it. It's not helping anything. Leave your most used apps running in the background. I also recommend using Samsung Internet and an ad blocker such as Adguard instead of Chrome or even Brave browser. Trust me, you'll see the difference in the battery that Samsung Internet uses compared to Chrome. It'll save quite a bit of battery.

@navyson said:
    Also activate the "Doze" option on your phone or you can alternatively download the "Doze" app which gives you more options

@navyson I do want to mention that the app "Doze" is not the same as Doze that Google introduced in Android Marshmallow. The app Doze is by a private developer. I'm going to try the app though and see if functions as advertised.

@westside80 said:
    I don't know that WiFi scanning and Bluetooth scanning use that much extra battery. I'm sure they may use a little extra but I'm not sure it's enough to worry about. They are supposed to help apps locate you easier which should, in theory, help with battery life a little. I just hate getting a phone and having to start going through and turning off features that I don't really want to turn off in order to get good battery life. I've tried turning off Bluetooth and wifi scanning on my Pixel XL and then leaving them turned on and I'm noticing much difference in battery life either way. That's just me though. Your results may vary. I've also heard people say that adaptive brightness uses more battery than manually adjusting the brightness. Again, I have no proof that that's the case. Also, I saw that someone mentioned using different apps for Facebook and Twitter but they left out Snapchat. Snapchat uses more battery than either Facebook or Twitter. I agree with clearing apps out the background all the time. Don't do it. It's not helping anything. Leave your most used apps running in the background. I also recommend using Samsung Internet and an ad blocker such as Adguard instead of Chrome or even Brave browser. Trust me, you'll see the difference in the battery that Samsung Internet uses compared to Chrome. It'll save quite a bit of battery.

@westside80 I try to wring out every mAh of battery saving power that I can so I do keep WiFi and Bluetooth off when I'm not using them but then I'm kind of fanatical about it. I'm definitely going to try the Samsung browser.

edited December 8, 2017 1:06AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 I try to wring out every mAh of battery saving power that I can so I do keep WiFi and Bluetooth off when I'm not using them but then I'm kind of fanatical about it. I'm definitely going to try the Samsung browser.

I keep WiFi and Bluetooth off if I'm not using them but I leave WiFi and Bluetooth scanning on because I see no difference in battery life when I turn them off.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

I keep WiFi and Bluetooth off if I'm not using them but I leave WiFi and Bluetooth scanning on because I see no difference in battery life when I turn them off.

That's surprising because that means that GPS is also on. I just use "battery saving" for the location setting.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

That's surprising because that means that GPS is also on. I just use "battery saving" for the location setting.

I use battery saving too. I still have Bluetooth and wifi scanning turned on. I don't use High accuracy.

• MSTKMSTK USAPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep Wi-Fi on all the time so it connects to wireless automatically when I am at certain places. I only use Bluetooth when I have something Bluetooth connected. I do disable background services for most apps and sometimes location settings. I wish things were off by default and then get promoted to turn on for each app. I usually get between 4-6 of SOT depending on what I do with the device. It's not open all the time but I can get at least 5 with the device open using content for 2-3 hours. It will get me through a work day until I get home. I carry the wall wart and cable in my pocket any way.

• SKOLSKOL WashingtonPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

@benkores said:

• Auto-brightness on
    • Keep the screen timeout low (15 sec-1min)
    • Keep your phone away from heat as much as possible
    • Use Wi-Fi Calling and turn on airplane mode in areas where you have bad or no service
    • Turn on airplane mode when you don't need to use any radios at all
    • Only have WiFi, data, bluetooth on when you need to use them
    • Turn on Data Saver
    • Either turn location off or have it on Battery saving when you don't use a navigation app
    • Turn off Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning in location settings
    • Have battery saver automatically turn on at 15%
    • Turn off notifications completely for apps you don't need notifications from
    • Turn off syncing for stuff which you don't need automatic sync for
    • Only use the second screen when you need to
    • DON'T clear recent apps as you will actually use MORE battery to reload them
    • Use alternative apps for Facebook and Twitter as they are notorious battery hogs

That's all I got.

Very nice thanks

• SKOLSKOL WashingtonPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

I'm now doing the Samsung browser! Good looking out on that!

@SKOL said:

@westside80 said:

I'm now doing the Samsung browser! Good looking out on that!

You're welcome. It's great. I haven't looked back since I started using it. It has everything you could want in a browser plus more, plus less battery drain!