Issues with randomly missing text messages

Both my wife and I have ZTE Blade X Max's on Cricket wireless. We randomly miss text messages that were sent. Talked to customer service who said to change the SMC service center number in the messaging apps settings. Unfortunately for me, the messaging app settings has no such setting. Anyone else run into this? How do you get to this SMC service center setting? Tried searching it online and couldn't find anything, searched under normal settings and don't see it also.

Comments

• n_scribnern_scribner United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭

@smithabusa I have been having this problem as well. I have tried doing what they say. Go to messaging app->settings->more->your phone number. This is the number they are talking about. I changed this, and continued to have the problem. It also caused me to in a group message, receive a text message from my own phone number. I have tried many things and have not had any luck with receiving all of my messages.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried using a different text messaging app? Perhaps using another texting app would solve the issue, it's worth a try at least. There are several popular alternatives on the Play Store such as Textra or Android Messages from Google.

Thanks for the suggestion @jasone. Unfortunately, I have tried that. I have contacted cricket many times as well, and never get the problem fixed. I even went to the local cricket store, with no luck. I realized the other day that I was not on the latest software either. I am like two updates behind and thought that may be part of the issue as well. When i contacted cricket to see why my phone was not completely up to date, they just said it would update when it needed to, which did not make sense to me. I mean, whats the point of creating updates if there is no need for them?

@jimlloyd40 I looked at my build number, and compared it to what is shown on the cricket website as the newest build number. There are like two newer updates which i have not received. I have never had any complaints of missing peoples calls, so not as far as i know. Everything seems to work correctly including phone calls and sending texts, but i just dont receive all texts.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@n_scribner you can also call Cricket and ask them to re-provion you on the network again. Also make sure that they have your correct IMEI . I used to have the same issue but this resolved it.

Thank you @coldheat06. I will try this when i get a chance, and hopefully it will solve my problem as well. Will post again after I have done this and let everyone know if it works for me, that way people will have a for sure solution if it works.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@n_scribner said:
    @jimlloyd40 I looked at my build number, and compared it to what is shown on the cricket website as the newest build number. There are like two newer updates which i have not received. I have never had any complaints of missing peoples calls, so not as far as i know. Everything seems to work correctly including phone calls and sending texts, but i just dont receive all texts.

@n_scribner did you happen to see what date the security patch was on the one that's two versions newer?
    If the build number that is two versions newer than what you're on has a more up to date security patch I would try to apply some pressure on Cricket based on the security patch. The updates would come from Cricket and you should have received them OTA

Also are the text messages that you're not receiving from people with an iPhone?

@jimlloyd40 I cannot remember for sure, but i believe that there was an update, then a security patch, then another update. And the dates were fairly recent, something like November or December 2017. I have ask cricket about getting the updates and security patch, and they just said it would be sent to my phone when my phone needed it. I asked about 3 times why I couldn't somehow get it now but that is all the person i was speaking to would tell me in response. I have had the problem with with people who have iPhone, and also people who have android. I have also checked if the people with iPhones were sending as sms rather than iMessage, and they were. If that is where you were going with your last question.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@n_scribner I may have missed it above but what build are you currently running on your Blade X Max? Also, what do you have for settings in the following area settings->mobile networks->access point names

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,537 mod

@n_scribner I think @hollap may be on to something. Any time I have had issues with texts or data it has been an incorrect, or outdated APN setting which I think is what @coldheat06 was saying. You may be able to have Cricket "'provision"' you. Some times the carrier can shoot the correct APN settings to your device, some cant or won't, but I would look into this area further, it isn't difficult.

@hollap @ironbaybeedoll My current build number is Z983V1.3.16. And as far as my APN setting, i have checked with cricket that they are right. I am just now getting around to getting them to provision my phone however. I have just not had time yet. I am about to try this.