Oreo Update Speculation

z28camaromanz28camaroman Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to start by saying that this is purely speculation and educated inferences based on how events have transpired with ZTE over the last year. This is not fact, but I do believe in what I am about to write.

Contrary to what users like "ggreg" have stated, I believe with great certainty that the A2017U will receive Android Oreo sometime between December 25th and December 31st. Here is why:

1. As noted by "Im_Axion" on reddit, a ZTE representative stated that an update is slated for the end of December. It was not stated that it was Oreo directly, but given the fact that the A2017G has already received the December security patch but the 2017U, which in the past has gotten updates before its global counterpart has, has not, I think its reasonable to assume that a larger update with more kinks to iron out is in the works.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Axon7/comments/7gqe0w/new_update_in_the_next_30_days_confirmed/

2. It has been confirmed that the A2017G will receive Oreo in April 2018. That would be 4 months after the A2017U. This timeframe lines up well with the gap between the two with the Nougat update. The A2017U received Nougat in mid-March whereas the A2017G received Nougat on June 29th, basically the start of July for most users. If a pattern can be noted, it seems that ZTE released the major OS upgrades first to the Chinese model, followed by the American model about a month later and then the European model about 4 months after that.
    https://www.z-union.eu/Thread-Axon-7-Android-Oreo-details-and-eta
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/a2017-nougat-twrp-flashable-djkuz-t3571714
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/announcement-mifavor-5-2-axon7-t3706097

3. Lastly, it is worth noting that ZTE often remains hush-hush about their phones and updates. I personally didn't expect nor anticipate ZTE upgrading the Axon 7 from 7.0 to 7.1.1, or including improvements and new features like night light, quick toggle api support and the double power button press to launch the camera. (it's gone in the latest build for some reason). It stands to reason that they will continue this sort of support until the proper Axon 7 successor. I imagine they would want to keep the costumers they have happy since they are trying to succeed where OEMs like Huawei are failing, especially in terms of breaking into the U.S. market.

Anyway, this was just my two cents. I eagerly await the Oreo update so I can apply system-wide themes from the stock ROM without root, assuming they didn't remove that feature.

On a side note, if I am correct, does anyone else think it's kind of silly that ZTE releases some updates at the end of the month, almost as if to say they're trying to be timely when realistically they come a bit late for what they are? I imagine they'd use an argument like: "we gave A2017G users the June Security patch in June," even though it was released on the 29th, or "the August Security Patch in August for American users" even though it was August 31st, a few days before the September patch could be released. I'm not complaining, just observing,

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@z28camaroman that was excellent research that you did. I hope that you're right.

One minor correction though. You're right about Huawei breaking into the US market but changes are on the way. They've been in the US market with their Honor brand and the Huawei phones have been available unlocked for the US, just not through carriers. And Huawei has far from failed. They go back and forth with Apple for the number 2 in phone sales in the world.

I do hope that you're correct about the A7.

• z28camaromanz28camaroman Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @z28camaroman that was excellent research that you did. I hope that you're right.

One minor correction though. You're right about Huawei breaking into the US market but changes are on the way. They've been in the US market with their Honor brand and the Huawei phones have been available unlocked for the US, just not through carriers. And Huawei has far from failed. They go back and forth with Apple for the number 2 in phone sales in the world.

I do hope that you're correct about the A7.

Thanks! I hope so too.

edited January 1, 2018 8:01PM

Welp, it's officially 2018 here in all of continental United States and no 8.0 Oreo. My thorough research was wrong. Thanks for making an @ss out of me, ZTE. I genuinely put faith in you and you let me down. It's January, and the A2017U still has not received the December security patch that covered both Blueborne and KRACK exploits, the former of which is months overdue for a security fix, nor the 6 month old OS that other phones in a similar price bracket seem to be getting.

In other news, the OnePlus 3, 3T, 5 and 5T have Oreo, the Asus Zenphone 4 just got Oreo, and the $100 Nokia 2 will get Oreo soon. Glad to see ZTE is taking competition seriously...

• 14blank4014blank40 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@z28camaroman said:
    Welp, it's officially 2018 here in all of continental United States and no 8.0 Oreo. My thorough research was wrong. Thanks for making an **** out of me, ZTE. I genuinely put faith in you and you let me down. It's January, and the A2017U still has not received the December security patch that covered both Blueborne and KRACK exploits, the former of which is months overdue for a security fix, nor the 6 month old OS that other phones in a similar price bracket seem to be getting.

In other news, the OnePlus 3, 3T, 5 and 5T have Oreo, the Asus Zenphone 4 just got Oreo, and the $100 Nokia 2 will get Oreo soon. Glad to see ZTE is taking competition seriously...

It's possible that it's gonna arrive within this first week so your speculation may not be off.

• texasmade1texasmade1 DFWPosts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@14blank40 said:

@z28camaroman said:
    Welp, it's officially 2018 here in all of continental United States and no 8.0 Oreo. My thorough research was wrong. Thanks for making an **** out of me, ZTE. I genuinely put faith in you and you let me down. It's January, and the A2017U still has not received the December security patch that covered both Blueborne and KRACK exploits, the former of which is months overdue for a security fix, nor the 6 month old OS that other phones in a similar price bracket seem to be getting.

It's possible that it's gonna arrive within this first week so your speculation may not be off.

Considering his timeframe was Dec 25th & Dec 31st, his speculation is off.
    If it's released within the first week or so, he will only be off by a little. Which to me is a pretty darn good prediction... I was hoping he would be right

edited January 1, 2018 11:50PM

@texasmade1 said:

@14blank40 said:

@z28camaroman said:

If it's released within the first week or so, he will only be off by a little. Which to me is a pretty darn good prediction... I was hoping he would be right

I was hoping that he was right also because XDA has said that they will wait on Oreo for the Lineage version until ZTE updates the stock A7. I imagine that XDA is ready now. They've already got it ready for the OP5T.

• 14blank4014blank40 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:

@14blank40 said:

@z28camaroman said:

Sorry I meant to say it wouldn't be too off. My bad haha

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,814 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Around April is when the Axon 7 will get Oreo. I thought this had already made the news? I know the articles were talking about the European model but the US model Oreo update will probably be around that time too. Maybe March? February? Maybe April or May. Who knows. Time will tell.

@westside80 said:
    Around April is when the Axon 7 will get Oreo. I thought this had already made the news? I know the articles were talking about the European model but the US model Oreo update will probably be around that time too. Maybe March? February? Maybe April or May. Who knows. Time will tell.

That's got to be killing unjustifieddev because I'm sure that he is ready with the Lineage version of Oreo for the A7.

• texasmade1texasmade1 DFWPosts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

That's got to be killing unjustifieddev because I'm sure that he is ready with the Lineage version of Oreo for the A7.

I imagine that it's definitely frustrating for him, especially since his build has got to be ready or extremely close to being ready.
    I guess he could always re-build his Lineage version without the files/source code that ZTE sent him, but that might hurt the trust he has built with them. 🤔

@texasmade1 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

I imagine that it's definitely frustrating for him, especially since his build has got to be ready or extremely close to being ready.
    I guess he could always re-build his Lineage version without the files/source code that ZTE sent him, but that might hurt the trust he has built with them. 🤔

You're right @texasmade1 I think that it definitely would hurt his relationship with ZTE. ZTE giving him that prior to the public release is unheard of by any other manufacturer. They should just hire him to do their programming. My A7 on Lineage is the second fastest phone I've ever had.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

You're right @texasmade1 I think that it definitely would hurt his relationship with ZTE. ZTE giving him that prior to the public release is unheard of by any other manufacturer. They should just hire him to do their programming. My A7 on Lineage is the second fastest phone I've ever had.

Agreed. Every tech company ought to have at least one competent employee.

@z28camaroman said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

Agreed. Every tech company ought to have at least one competent employee.

😂

edited January 6, 2018 12:47AM

My final speculation shall be that we may see the Oreo update in early February for the 2017U. That was when the Nougat update was released for the American model in 2017, and Nougat was released nearly the same day as Oreo in its respective year.

Here's hoping THIS guess is correct or that I am being excessively conservative and it comes sooner.