ZTE Axon 7 Oreo Feature Request/Petition

jose_beltranjose_beltran USAPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2017 5:56PM in Axon

Hello folks, as many of you should know, the Axon 7 is getting Android 8.0 Oreo! According to ZTE Germany it should happen around April 2018. So there's still time for us, the users to request any type of change we would like ZTE make to the Axon 7 in the coming update. Any feedback could make a great improvement.

The purpose is that every idea that could be taken into account for improving the Axon 7, could be posted in order to get the ZTE Team of Engineers to address our issues and suggestions.

This is mine and hope you post your own. :smile:

Hello ZTE Team,

Thank you very much for all the update support you've been given to the Axon 7, although being not an $800 phone or the latest phone from ZTE. It is really nice to know that there's still a company that cares so much about the customer and not only selling the products, because the Axon 7 was the best phone for the price and having that much features added along the way, like Daydream is really pleasing for me as a ZTE cusotmer. Now that the phone is shortly receiving the Android 8.0 Oreo update and since you asked for a little feedback to make changes into the coming update, I'd like to give you mine as a user from the US version (A2017U) since a year ago.

1. The LG V30 came with a very nice features for audiophile users, and since the Axon 7 is an audio-oriented device, I think it's worth it and very simple one; the phone has like 32 volume steps from the mute to the full volume, this means that we can adjust the volume in an even more precise way to enjoy the amazing DAC and amplifier the Axon is equipped with.

2. Before buying the Axon 7, I had a Nexus 6, the stock android UX is wonderful, believe me. Thankfully, the Axon 7 isn't that far, just one comment with that respect is the quick settings menu (above the notification area) it would be great if you could just leave stock android in that place rather that putting a menu that lakcs animations and the versatility that the stock quick settings menu has, of course, leave the shortcuts to Dolby Atmos and all those features, but use the stock template.

3. MyVoice app. I think it's completely useless taking into account that Google Assistant exist (Since I got the phone, I disabled it), it uses memory, storage and makes more complicated the UI and UX so its better without myvoice.

4. Calendar, Clock, Messaging, Dialer, Contacts; all these apps are great in the Axon 7, but trust me, ask anyone and they will tell you that they prefer the stock Calendar, Clock, Messaging, Dialer, Contacts apps that Google develops. Its a waste of resources that the manufacturers develop their own apps that would do the same as Google's, when they can focus those resources into something better like optimization or useful features or something like that. HTC used to do that, but since last year, they realized that it was a waste and that everyone prefers Google's apps for design, features, constant updates, storage capacity, simple yet complete UX and UI; so they loaded all they phones with just stock apps and without any duplicate apps like it used to happen in some phones. So, ZTE Team, don't waste your time building apps that are already built and very well, you just have to make a few adjustments and it'll work on the Axon 7 flawlessly. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
    PS. If you keep the apps in the Axon 7 Oreo update, then try to implement some animations and Material Design philosophy as those apps from ZTE lack any type of animation and material design. It makes a huge difference in the experience because those apps look like they were built for Android 4.0.

Hope this feedback of the last year of having the Axon 7 comes in handy and hope you address these concerns as they are coming from a customer. :smiley:

Sincerely,

Jose Beltran

Comments

• KyPhi2KyPhi2 Antigua Posts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2017 8:08PM

I think that if on screen nav keys can be implemented it would improve my user experience especially in the night as well as adding the camera 2 api to improve the camera which is working reasonably well for me, since nougat TouchPal doesn't auto correct which is rather annoying so I hope that they can work that out, the gallery could be a bit better if the dates of the picture could be removed optionally, the UI should be made as bloat free as possible I hope that ZTE locker and a few other features remain optional, I agree with the comment above pertaining to my voice to some extent but I think that it should be optional to either uninstall utilize useful features like the gestures and motions and hopefully they could make the flashlight be turned on even when the screen is off and add fingerprint gestures and then and lastly fix the rapid battery drain that has been a pain since nougat update especially the last one.

• wchellamwchellam bradfordPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wchellam said:
    HD support for netflix / amazon - i.e. Widevine L1 - surely long overdue and essential on a phone with a 1440p OLED screen?

@wchellam I agree although you need to have the phone on wifi to get a higher resolution since all the carriers throttle you down in resolution.

Not in the UK, I get full fat 4G for streaming netflix, live sport etc, currently on my lumia 950 - my last windows phone of many - my axon 7 is in the post....

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think he messed up by saying that the carriers throttle you they do throttle you but only if you're on an unlimited data plan if you have a set data rate like on my plan I have 5 gigs of high-speed data then I get slowed to 2G speeds I can watch videos on YouTube all day long in 2K on my axon 7 but if I'm on unlimited data no it will buffer and I'll be knocked down to 1080P or 720p

• hokiealhokieal Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wchellam said:
    HD support for netflix / amazon - i.e. Widevine L1 - surely long overdue and essential on a phone with a 1440p OLED screen?

@wchellam I agree although you need to have the phone on wifi to get a higher resolution since all the carriers throttle you down in resolution.

There's a switch in my T-Mobile account to allow HD video. However there is no HD video on the Axon 7, wifi or cellular. I believe that Netflix is only 480p. So basically VCR quality. Not that it matters that much on a phone screen, but it's not close to HD.

@westside80 said:
    I'm on cricket's unlimited plan and I don't get throttled until 22gb. If I turn off the "Stream More" feature I can stream 2k videos all I want up until 22gb. cricket throttles their LTE to 8Mbps but it's still fast enough for 2k video streaming. I usually get 9Mbps so it's usually a little over 8Mbps.

Damn I didnt know that I didn't like cricket to much but I only used them for about a month cause I'm a deal Hunter I use mint sim and lyca mobile. Mint sim has this deal till the 31st of December 2017 if you buy any 3 month plan they add 3 months of the same plan for free (basically make it a 6 month plan for 3 month price). I paid 60$ for 6 months of unlimited talk text and data with 5Gbs of high-speed data then throttled to 128kbs or 2G speed.

• fooofooo Posts: 25 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say for all carriers but T-Mobile limits the speed. But then I think that all of their plans are unlimited now unless it's an older grandfathered plan @smh032395.

TMobile prepaid does not. You still have the option on metered plans. Not sure why people pick non prepaid.

Aside from widevine and camera, I'm hoping they fix the random mic not working. Never seems to happen when I test it, only on sporadic calls where the person can't hear me and I have to try and toggle speakerphone etc. Also second the wish they'd work on radio stability. Driving a lot, you'll notice the phone has problems switching towers.

Aside from widevine and camera, I'm hoping they fix the random mic not working. Never seems to happen when I test it, only on sporadic calls where the person can't hear me and I have to try and toggle speakerphone etc. Also second the wish they'd work on radio stability. Driving a lot, you'll notice the phone has problems switching towers.

Seriously the mic thing pisses me off I feel for the people who have the bottom mic issue but it only happens on imo Viber WhatsApp and occasionally on regular phone calls but on messenger and duo it works almost flawlessly!! ZTE ya gotta fix the mic thing c'mon guys and camera api2 or whatever add support for it!!

• sigma00015sigma00015 Somerville, AlabamaPosts: 10 ✭✭✭✭
    1. UI closer to stock Google and allow removal (not just disabling) of stock apps.
    2. Camera2 API, Widevine L1 API support, AptX HD (plus Low Latency) for the Oreo upgrade
    3. Fix the Mic drop
    4. Will Project Treble be included with he Oreo release, or will ground work be laid for it?
    5. Allow for an easy unlock of the bootloader

Ps.
    I'm on T-Mobile and they do by default (You can disable in your account settings (I think on a per device basis) limit youtube and such streaming over the cellular radio to 480p as part of their Binge-On service (with it active, using apps like youtube and such don't count against the data cap.) if you exceed that cap, they'll throttle you to 3G speeds (512kbps absolute theoretical max) for the rest of the billing period.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I want the newest security patch, Widevine L1, and we need the camera2 API partial or full mode since all we have now is camera2 API legacy mode.. In my opinion, this isn't asking too much..

A feature I'd like to see and it's so simple... The ability to add and change fonts that is all!!!

Other then that ZTE go nuts for your finale update GIVE US YOUR CONSUMER AND USER FANBASE A REASON TO STAY AND UPGRADE @zte_usa @sshasan

I have tried it's not compatible with the axon 7 I'm currently using Nova and out of all the features it has it doesn't have a simple font changer

edited January 4, 2018 8:45AM

System wide

But it's definitely something ZTE could implement plenty of other manufactures do this

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wchellam said:

Are there any demonstration apps you can download to demonstrate the difference between 1080P and 2K for viewing video on the phone. I find it hard to believe that it would be very noticeable. Where 2K shines is in the clarity of small text. And, I guess Daydream (if it even runs at 2K) could benefit, since your eyes are so close to the screen. For anything else, at 5.5", a 2K screen can't make much of a difference, no?

• rafabrasil85rafabrasil85 Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited January 5, 2018 12:08AM

Dear ZTE. Please let me choose a screen saver (former daydream) to use when I'm charging with my dock (why did you remove this function among others from Android? Make no sense). Please remove that damn volume warning when I raise it. It is a pain in the **** when I'm using Daydream VR and the sound is very low. I have to remove headset and earphones in order to fix this. Also, I would like to ask you some features which other phones already have and it would be nice if we get:

• Always on display (why do we have an AMOLED display and can't have an option to access this?)
    • Customizeable LED notification (more options per app)
    • Double click on screen to turn it off (optional)
    • Double press on power button to access camera or other app
    • Double press shortcuts on home and left dot capacitive buttons
    • Draw on off screen to quick launch a shortcut or app (like on OnePlus Oxygen OS)
    • Game Mode (like Samsung)
    • Gesture support fingerprint sensor (like on Pixel)
    • Notification LED should have an optional timeout. I would like to have LED on until I turn on my phone screen.
    • One hand mode (like on Samsung's phones)
    • Optional navigation buttons bar for night use
    • The lock on multitask does not stick the app. When I press X, it closes. So what is the use of this lock?
    • Turn on screen with notifications and Raise to wake up screen options (like on iPhone)
    • Swipe on proximity sensor to show a glance with clock and notifications when screen is off
      Also, you guys removed a lot of features from stock Android:

• Camera2 API is incomplete

• Format SD as internal storage was removed
    • Light/dark modes were removed
    • Pin icon on top in share menu removed
    • Share menu shortcuts with most used contacts on top removed
    • Select default SIM to make a call. I can't make a call from my Android Wear using dual SIM because I have to pick up my phone to choose which SIM I want to use. Does this make sense to you?
    • System UI notifications importances removed
    • Touch to talk accessibility removed
      There are others but I can't remember now.
      My wish list is a long one. Please pick most or all and deliver to us. I love your hardware. Make me fall in love also with your software and be proud of it. Thanks!