So a new bill in the USA wants to block usage with ZTE and Huawei over government agency networks!?

smh032395smh032395 Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2018 9:23PM in Axon

Will this impact future sales for ZTE in the USA? Will this impact the usage of current mobile devices owned by the said consumers if the bill passes? @zte_usa and @sshasan can you chime in and tell me if I need to purchase another device? Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heres the info sorry it's alot...

A new bill introduced by Texas Republican Michael Conway dubbed "H.R. 4747 — 115th Congress: Defending U.S. Government Communications Act" aims to take things a step further and block any government agency from using a network service provider that has Huawei or ZTE equipment installed. Specifically, service providers with any of the following would be banned from government contracts should the bill pass:

Telecommunications equipment produced by Huawei Technologies Company or ZTE Corporation (or any subsidiary or affiliate of such entities).
    Telecommunications services provided by such entities or using such equipment.
    Telecommunications equipment or services produced or provided by an entity that the head of the relevant agency reasonably believes to be an entity owned or controlled by, or otherwise connected to, the government of a covered foreign country.
    Language in the bill references the past findings of Huawei and ZTE's relationship with the Chinese government, but many U.S. officials are also concerned with trade between both companies and other countries that aren't exactly allies, like Syria, Cuba, or Iran. Last year ZTE was fined over $1 billion for violating U.S.-Iran sanctions and a current investigation into Huawei's dealings with Syria, Cuba, Iran, and Sudan is underway by the U.S. Treasury Department.

This news comes on the heels of AT&T and Verizon dropping support for the Huawei Mate 10 after concerns were reportedly expressed from the Senate and House Intelligence Committees about the companies ties to China's Communist Party. It's also not unusual to see government officials calling for product bans when they think a hostile government may be involved with a company, as we're recently seen with Kaspersky Labs products and Russian spying concerns.

We're unsure how much effect this would have on U.S.-China relations or either company's bottom line, but it surely can't be good news. The bill is currently being considered by a committee and if approved would go before Congress.

That's it thank you!

@sshasan ok thanks man! You should comment on stuff more dude! You aren't on the forms any more and your knowledge is needed and appreciated!

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,256 admin

@smh032395 I'm doing my best... there is more that you could ever imagine happening internally. The Z-Community team is just getting back from the CES 2018 Fan Event. Fans got a first hand look at some of what the future holds.

edited January 13, 2018 2:13AM

@sshasan I'm not interested in any other ZTE products except the axon 8... I just feel that the Axon M won't hold out as long as they think because I see many flaws just by looking at the device... On top of that they decided to stick it with at&t and that's it.... I feel they did the Axon 7 perfect (except lack of security updates) so I feel the Axon 8 will hit the ball field hard and will be a success just like it's ancestor! And I totally forget about the CES event! But I did read about a device with a fingerprint scanner built into the screen and that peaked my interest!

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It should be noted that the proposed bill banning ZTE and Huawei from selling telecommunications equipment is only for government agencies and government contractors. The bill does not ban the sale of telecommunications equipment to private industry in the US.

• texasmade1texasmade1 DFWPosts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sshasan said:
    @smh032395 I'm doing my best... there is more that you could ever imagine happening internally. The Z-Community team is just getting back from the CES 2018 Fan Event. Fans got a first hand look at some of what the future holds.

@sshasan So what does the future hold, for those of us that weren't privy to that info? There are a lot of fans that's either couldn't afford to go or couldn't get time off to go to CES 2018. Can you please elaborate on what those lucky fans got to see or was a NDA included in seeing those things? Thanks in advance for any answer..

• ryampolskyryampolsky Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:

@sshasan said:

@sshasan So what does the future hold, for those of us that weren't privy to that info? There are a lot of fans that's either couldn't afford to go or couldn't get time off to go to CES 2018. Can you please elaborate on what those lucky fans got to see or was a NDA included in seeing those things? Thanks in advance for any answer..

Yeah. Are you saying that invited fans were shown stuff at the show that wasn't shown to the public? Don't need to know what it was - just that there is stuff in the pipeline. I guess MWC is the next public opportunity. Anything going to be announced there?

edited January 15, 2018 10:05PM

The silence speaks volumes...... #RadioSilence

@texasmade1 said:
    The silence speaks volumes...... #RadioSilence

I do have to say that this is an unfair statement in this situation.

I left CES and my flight got canceled... I was rerouted to Florida on a 4 hour flight and the very next morning I finally made it home to New York. I woke up this morning on my birthday with a severe cold.

There are only a few of us on Z-Community team and I happen to be the one who talks with users the most.

To answer your question. The fans who joined us were bound by an NDA. We did share new information with them at the event which was not made public at CES or in the community.

As we've always said, the Z-Community is always working for the good of our users. While we may not always be able to leave comments or reply we read every single piece of infomation in the community and relay the feedback to the appropriate internal teams.

I've also been on a bunch of calls today about said products.

edited January 15, 2018 11:09PM

I'm sorry and I do feel for you as I've had many cancelled flights and I know it can really screw you over. With that being said Happy Birthday, even though it sounds like it's not very happy as you are sick. I must say that I hope it's not the flu as I just had it, and it took almost 2 weeks to fully get over it (24 people have died here in DFW from it). The comment was not necessarily directed at you, but at ZTE as a whole, hence the reason I didn't tag you. I know you're the most approachable and definitely the most active when it comes to engaging users and I truly appreciate that. Looking back, the comment could be seen as unfair and for that I apologize as it's not your fault. However, I must say that the whole lack of any kind of information regarding Oreo 8.0/8.1 for the Axon 7 and the general lack of any info as opposed to when I first joined this community has me a little irritated, as it seems the users aren't valued as much as they once were, which may be due to the lack of communication, information, or both. If my perception is wrong and off base (and I hope that I am), then my full apologies to you @sshasan&; the whole Z-Community staff. I do hope that you get well soon ;)

@sshasan said:
    I've also been on a bunch of calls today about said products.

I definitely hope the calls about said products turn out to be fruitful and something amazing comes from it. Hmm....I can just wonder about what those products are ;)