stormcloud13711

stormcloud13711stormcloud13711 TampaPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I just got this phone as a present for Xmas. A week ago, it did an Android update and restarted. That's it! It won't go past the splash screen! It won't come completely up and it won't let me turn it off! If I hit the power button to turn it off, it just restarts and freezes. I have to let it die to shut it off. I can't even get to the home screen to get to settings to do a factory reset. Can anyone help me with this?

Best Answers

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@stormcloud13711 said:
    @coldheat06
    @jimlloyd40

Thank you both for responding so quickly! I didn't buy it, it was a gift. I don't mind wiping it everything as I have everything backed up on my computer. And I've had to return to using my old phone until I can get this issue fixed.
    The problem is I don't know how to enter boot mode. As I said it just locks on the start-up screen.
    Can you tell me what button I need to push or how to enter boot? I really need to be walked through this. I apologise for the inconvenience, but I really appreciate your help.

@stormcloud13711 you said that you could turn the phone off and it would then reboot and freeze. What you need to do, and you'll need to be fast, is turn it off. Then immediately press and hold the power button and the volume up button at the exact same time. When you feel the vibration or see the screen start to light up immediately release the power button and continue holding the volume up button until the recovery screen starts. Once in recovery first wipe the cache partition. To do so use the volume down button to scroll down to "wipe cache partition" and then the power button to select the choice. The cache partition will wipe very fast and "reboot phone" will be highlighted. Use the power button to select "reboot". Then see if the phone is okay. If it still just boots and freezes then repeat this process but this time when you get to the recovery screen you'll select "factory data reset".

Accepted Answer

@stormcloud13711 please let us know the outcome.

Accepted Answer

@stormcloud13711 said:
    @jimlloyd40

I don't know how to Thank You! I did exactly what you said. I had to clear the cache and reset the phone, it worked like a charm! I was terrified I'd have to tell my sons that I messed up their Xmas gift!
    But it wants to do that Android update again. Is there a way I can prevent that from happening? I'm afraid it might lock the phone up again. I haven't put any apps on it yet. Should I let it update before I do?
    I've never seen this happen before. But again, thank you so very much for all your help with this matter!

You're welcome. I assume that you mean an over the air update from ZTE. Yes I would do that before you get very far along in setting the phone up. At worst you would just have to repeat the process. And you're right that would have been very embarrassing to mess up your son's gift. And what a gift. You're obviously a good dad.

Answers

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stormcloud13711

As @jimlloyd40 stated try booting into Recovery mode and wiping your cache partition

Do not wipe your data or you will lose everything..... Not unless you do not have anything on your device.

• stormcloud13711stormcloud13711 TampaPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2018 12:52PM

@coldheat06
    @jimlloyd40

Thank you both for responding so quickly! I didn't buy it, it was a gift. I don't mind wiping it everything as I have everything backed up on my computer. And I've had to return to using my old phone until I can get this issue fixed.
    The problem is I don't know how to enter boot mode. As I said it just locks on the start-up screen.
    Can you tell me what button I need to push or how to enter boot? I really need to be walked through this. I apologise for the inconvenience, but I really appreciate your help.

@jimlloyd40

I don't know how to Thank You! I did exactly what you said. I had to clear the cache and reset the phone, it worked like a charm! I was terrified I'd have to tell my sons that I messed up their Xmas gift!
    But it wants to do that Android update again. Is there a way I can prevent that from happening? I'm afraid it might lock the phone up again. I haven't put any apps on it yet. Should I let it update before I do?
    I've never seen this happen before. But again, thank you so very much for all your help with this matter!

@jimlloyd40

Hahaha!
    Actually, I have 3 son's! ALL of whom decided I needed to "update" my ancient technology! So they truly decided to spoil me with a new Notebook to replace my desktop computer, a Phablet to face time & this awesome new phone with a big screen so I don't have to squint! The only thing is, they spoiled their Mom! 😍

I will definitely let it do its updates before I add anything to it. Thank you so much!