Does Google Assistant/ Voice typing Only work when connected to your phone via Bluetooth?

saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There have been multiple times this month were my watch has told me that it cant access Google right now and to check my connection through Android Wear. I have the Quartz on a T-Mobile plan; I thought the watch could use internet services via 3G connectivity which should mean I should be always able to access Google Assistant or other services like Hangouts without the connection to my phone.

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Assistant should work via cellular connectivity. I just tested by disable the wifi and BT and was able to use assistant (and also can send and receive via hangout) . Maybe the cellular connectivity is not working correctly. Have you tried to reboot the watch and try it again?

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was also able to disable BT and WiFi and send a text to myself and sent a message with Hangouts using my voice and the watch like @samsamha mentioned. Maybe your cellular connection is weak where you're at like @samsamha mentioned. What exactly are you trying to do that isn't working @saeedted? Maybe we can try to replicate.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I did reboot the watch-the problem arises intermittently and unexpectantly. @samsamha
    I'm just trying to respond to text messages with my voice but the watch will give me the message 'unable to connect to Google'. It could be an issue with 3G connection but I am in downtown Dallas in a tall building by a large glass window where the signal should be strong. @jasone

if it happens intermittently, then I think the issue most likely is related to the network. When it happens, try to open the Play Store (or any app that requires internet access) to see if you can access to the internet.

Have you try to do a factory reset on the watch?

I tend to have BT, WIFI, and cellular turned on on the watch and let it connect to whichever is available. Are you only using the watch with just cellular connectivity (ie no BT or WiFi)? If not, then there is possibility that when you are having issue accessing the assistant is due to the fact that the device is having issue with wifi or BT but did not switch to cellular. (Like sometimes the phone is connected to the router but router failed to assign an IP address which cause the phone not able to access the internet)

I too always have BT, WIFI, and cellular turned on. I tried using Google Assistant 15 mins ago but i got the 'unable to connect to Google message'; I confirmed the watch was still connected to the phone and if it was on wifi. I held the button down and the Google assistant started working. @samsamha

I discovered that when I have the 'unable to connect to Google' problem if I disconnect Bluetooth on the Watch it will work normally. This means that the problem lies in my watch connection to Android Wear but I dont know how.

I would say try to reset the watch and repair it to your phone to see if the problem goes away. Seems like it is possible related to the BT connectivity issue.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Which phone are you using it with?

@jasone said:
    Which phone are you using it with?

Axon 7.