Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
[POLL]Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming!
[POLL]How Do You Search Within Text?

What’s the minimum price point that you would expect water resistance for your next smartphone?

ZTE ResearchZTE Research Posts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2018 12:27PM in Consumer Lab

Drop a comment about how essential water resistance is to you. Furthermore, please share any hardware features that would make you purchase your next smartphone in lieu of water resistance.

What’s the minimum price point that you would expect water resistance for your next smartphone? 70 votes

$200 - $300
11% 8 votes
$300 - $400
22% 16 votes
$400 - $500
44% 31 votes
$500 - $600
14% 10 votes
$600 - $700
7% 5 votes
$700 and higher
0% 0 votes

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting poll. Water resistance is not a necessity to me, especially with the Passport Warranty that ZTE provides. However at the right price point, it's a nice feature. I'm selecting $600-$700 because I'd much rather the money be spent on a top of the line camera, CPU, RAM, Audio, and battery.

Given 2 phones with exactly the same specs, one with Water resistance for $600-$700 and the other without water resistance for $500-$600 I would take no water resistance every time.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 687 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted $400-$500 just based on what the Axon7 sold for, plus what it would cost to add waterproofing. I don't really know how much more it would cost to add the waterproofing so I just added about an extra $100 to the original price of $399 for the Axon7

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am in that 4 to 5 hundred dollar range. I do not need full immersion (would be nice), but accidental spills by my kids is what I want covered. I love my smart phone, but when you get much above $500 it just seems to expensive for what it is in my life.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

$400-$500 is the price point that I would expect full IP 68..... But to me IP 68 is not really important, I would rather have a device that is splash proof IP 57/ IP58.

If someone wants to go swimming in a pool they should get a full waterproof case or waterproof bag for the device..... Cause if you really think about it most underwater pictures that people want to take are actually in the ocean and there is currently no device that is Saltwater proof!!

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

IP65 - $400-$500, anything above $500 that is offering water resistance should at least be IP67 or IP68

Water resistance is not a must for me, so if ZTE is thinking about water resistance, do IP65, it's cheaper to do, and allows more money to go towards specs like CPU, screen, memory, and storage where it really matters to me.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Water resistance is great, but not a necessity. I would prefer solid hardware, headphone jack in place. Now for the price, the 400-500$ mark seems the best, as ZTE stay a better alternative for the price. Higher than that, you close the gap and other phone becomes more attractive for the price difference.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i think midrange price point and above (ie 400 to 500) should have water resistance. While I don't think a phone needs to be waterproof where you take into swimming, it should at least withstand accidental drops.

For me, I always prefer metal phone over current trends of glass back. A lot of phones switched to non-metal back for wireless charging and while I think it's a nice feature to have, I don't think it's a must. Like others, I would prefer to have better internal as well (which I think is a given for all of us hardcore tech junkies). I also would love to see better network support like Gigabit LTE and faster storage controller too.

• auroraaurora Weston, MAPosts: 4 ✭✭

With phones being with me at all times I would expect $400 to $600 to have at least IP67. Beyond that the industry is already at IP68 which would give me the warm and fuzzy in case I drop it in the pool, sink etc etc etc..

One feature I would consider trading for waterproofing is dual speakers on the front! No brainer decision for me!!

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I said $400 - $500 since it seemed to me to be the lowest, "reasonable" cost to add that type of protection. I can easily live without it though

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 389 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I said $400-500, but this does not mean I expect a water resistance of IPX8 or IPX7 I'd say more so IPX6 or even IPX5, just to know that in case something we're to happen it's gonna be fine.

• mrknight85mrknight85 Coxsackie New YorkPosts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just need enough water resistance just in case I get caught in the rain or in case one of my kids or myself drops a little bit liquid on it so it won't be dead on arrival I think $500-$600 is fear

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,434 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

While many users prefer water resistance, I personally do not want it enough to give up the other features it conflicts with.
    There are many reasons for this covering both utilitarian uses for the device, as well as pure value.

For pretty much all water resistant phones, the resistance does not last the life of the device unless you never handle the phone, as over time, vibration and tiny flexes of the device which happen from normal use, eventually tiny gaps will form. This makes water resistance a feature which can easily be lost over time through normal use, or lost due to a simple drop of the device. Furthermore, when you lose it, you often will not know until the phone comes in contact with water and fails.

When implementing water resistance, there are some compromises made in other areas, for example, the restrictive meshing will negatively impact the bass response of the speakers.
    To meet initial IP68 requirements, smartphones will often use a construction that is not easy to service, which significantly drives up the cost of any out of warranty repair, or repair of accidental damage.

I would much rather see a design which does not go out of its way to make everything 100% water tight, and instead work to mitigate water damage by using conformal coating on the motherboard and dielectric grease on the connectors, so if water does make it into the device, then chances are good that simply placing it in a bag of rice or silica gel will dry it out before any damage is done.

For areas which cannot be used with conformal coating, such as the camera module where you have an unavoidable gap due to OIS and auto focus, it is far easier to do a watertight seal between the camera module and the rear view port of the case, and with such a small area, it is unlikely to be under any stress that would normally break the seals over time.

Overall, for me personally, I would much rather have better audio and a reasonably serviceable device as compared to water resistance that may not last the life of the device.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2018 11:50PM

I voted 400-500 which seemed reasonable to me. Personally I've never had an issue with getting my phone wet. However water resistants is a great selling point.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy the security that water resistance provides but it's not as essential to me as a good camera. I would buy a phone with a good camera over one with water resistance. Notice that I said good camera, not dual camera. Just because you have a dual camera does not make it a good camera. A gimmick does not make up for a poor camera. I'll take a good single camera any day over a mediocre dual camera.

• I'm really careful with my devices, and wouldn't go out of my way for a water resistant device. I've always thought water resistant/ water proof devices would be great in the kid/teen market. My girls have soaked more phones and mp3 players in the last 10 years than I can count. Now that they have gotten older they are much more careful, but water resistance could have saved them many tears, and me a lot of money. Sadly the costs for these devices is more than I would have handed a child, as I think it is insane to give a kid a $400+ phone

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think $300 to $400 is the starting point for phones to begin to have some water resistant. Water resistance is a nice feature to have, but not completely necessary to me, it's just a safety measure for when dropping the phone in the water by accident, but I don't think I've ever done that yet...

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,099 mod

I voted $500-$600 I would expect a device to have water resistance. For me it's not something I particularly look for in a phone but I definitely appreciate having. The more money I spend the more I assume it will be water resistant. I only dropped a phone once in water years ago and it was ruined, my daughter dropped her phone in snow and it had numerous issues until it died. So I am always happy to see it in a device.

In lieu of water resistance maybe both front and rear cameras with OIS, or 6gb of ram with 128 gb internal storage etc., beefier specs in general would be expected and better all around when paying a premium price.

• g808g808 United StatesPosts: 62 ✭✭✭✭✭

As little as possible since it seems like more of a marketing tactic. I'd prefer a more durable phone since it's more likely for most people to drop their phone on a hard surface vs dropping it in fresh water. All these water resistant phones made of glass are breaking and therefore voiding the IP rating anyway. 😂

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,112 mod

@hollap said:
    Very interesting poll. Water resistance is not a necessity to me, especially with the Passport Warranty that ZTE provides. However at the right price point, it's a nice feature. I'm selecting $600-$700 because I'd much rather the money be spent on a top of the line camera, CPU, RAM, Audio, and battery.

Given 2 phones with exactly the same specs, one with Water resistance for $600-$700 and the other without water resistance for $500-$600 I would take no water resistance every time.

I agree, Ive never dropped my phone in the water and could careless about being able to text in the rain, dont use my phone in the shower or tub and dont drop my phone in random glasses of water :D so personally while its a great buzz word for alot of consumers Im not one of them I would rather a more durable body and frame with focus on dust covers/seals and just making sure the device build quality is the best is more important to me

@razor512 said:
    While many users prefer water resistance, I personally do not want it enough to give up the other features it conflicts with.
    There are many reasons for this covering both utilitarian uses for the device, as well as pure value.

For pretty much all water resistant phones, the resistance does not last the life of the device unless you never handle the phone, as over time, vibration and tiny flexes of the device which happen from normal use, eventually tiny gaps will form. This makes water resistance a feature which can easily be lost over time through normal use, or lost due to a simple drop of the device. Furthermore, when you lose it, you often will not know until the phone comes in contact with water and fails.

When implementing water resistance, there are some compromises made in other areas, for example, the restrictive meshing will negatively impact the bass response of the speakers.
    To meet initial IP68 requirements, smartphones will often use a construction that is not easy to service, which significantly drives up the cost of any out of warranty repair, or repair of accidental damage.

I would much rather see a design which does not go out of its way to make everything 100% water tight, and instead work to mitigate water damage by using conformal coating on the motherboard and dielectric grease on the connectors, so if water does make it into the device, then chances are good that simply placing it in a bag of rice or silica gel will dry it out before any damage is done.

For areas which cannot be used with conformal coating, such as the camera module where you have an unavoidable gap due to OIS and auto focus, it is far easier to do a watertight seal between the camera module and the rear view port of the case, and with such a small area, it is unlikely to be under any stress that would normally break the seals over time.

Overall, for me personally, I would much rather have better audio and a reasonably serviceable device as compared to water resistance that may not last the life of the device.

I forgot to mention like @razor512 did the compromise you may get with Audio. A mesh type of covering over speakers to water resist them may compromise one of the great features of a device that showcases audio as a major feature. Unless this is for a different device, or Audio is now becoming secondary.

• syntapsyntap Washington DCPosts: 211 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have wondered why some degree of water resistance isn't table stakes for any phone with no removable battery. I realize other entry points exist than a removable back panel (speaker, mic, power/audio jacks, SIM slots, others), but I think there can be degrees of water protection.

In the wrist watch world there was a distinction (or used to be, I haven't worn a watch in a long time) between water resistance and waterproofing.

A definition of "water resistance" can be the one I need personally, which is if you are walking through the rain for a few minutes you shouldn't need to worry about lasting damage or covering up the phone. Another is protection against immersion due to a drop in a deep puddle, pool, tub, sink, toilet) but I would understand that to be waterproofing.

So I answered $200-$300 for "water resistant". For safeguards against immersion damage my answer would be higher, $400-$500.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@razor512 said:

I forgot to mention like @razor512 did the compromise you may get with Audio. A mesh type of covering over speakers to water resist them may compromise one of the great features of a device that showcases audio as a major feature. Unless this is for a different device, or Audio is now becoming secondary.

The HTC U11 has water resistance, IP67, and still has loud and very good sounding dual speakers.

Not saying it's impossible, but wondering how good the U11 would sound without it.

• coolbud86coolbud86 FLPosts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

well I in florida so im suorronded by water with the ocean and gulf mexico and it rains here year round almost so there is a need for water resitiance on the new phones but i dont wanna pay over 100 dollars really but i will go to $200 -220 which is reasonable . i would say increase the ram and cpu and camera just a little bit more but make it affordable for customers on a budget

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly don't see how some people can expect to see a full featured phone with water resistance for under $500.
    Is it possible, sure it is, but guess what, you're going to have some real compromises.
    It's going to have a mediocre camera, smaller battery, subpar sound quality or some other shortcoming.

For me personally I'd love to have a ZTE device with IP67 or IP68 water resistance, but I don't want it in lieu sacrificing other features that make a flagship a best in class device. Most importantly of all, the software needs to run exceptionally efficient. If it doesn't, the hardware isn't going to make up for the software anyway.

@DoppelgangerD said:
    I honestly don't see how some people can expect to see a full featured phone with water resistance for under $500.
    Is it possible, sure it is, but guess what, you're going to have some real compromises.
    It's going to have a mediocre camera, smaller battery, subpar sound quality or some other shortcoming.

For me personally I'd love to have a ZTE device with IP67 or IP68 water resistance, but I don't want it in lieu sacrificing other features that make a flagship a best in class device. Most importantly of all, the software needs to run exceptionally efficient. If it doesn't, the hardware isn't going to make up for the software anyway.

Preach brother preach!