Please don't let this be the Axon 9 - Leaked images arise?

dsprockeee1dsprockeee1 Cleveland, OHPosts: 68 ✭✭✭✭✭

A posting on the Axon 7 reddit page has an article regarding an Axon 9 leak which I am taking with a grain of salt. But if it just happens to be true, what are you thinking ZTE? The images seem like bits and pieces of different phones photoshopped together and the quality is very questionable.

https://androidhits.com/zte-axon-9-images-specifications-leak/

Comments

• westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 1:42PM

@dsprockeee1 said:
    A posting on the Axon 7 reddit page has an article regarding an Axon 9 leak which I am taking with a grain of salt. But if it just happens to be true, what are you thinking ZTE? The images seem like bits and pieces of different phones photoshopped together and the quality is very questionable.

I think it looks alright. What don't you like about it? I doubt that's really the Axon 9 but I'd say it's close to what it'll look like. I really like that dark blue color. One thing I don't like is the fact that there doesn't seem to be dual front facing speakers.

• texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 1:53PM

I don't see a fingerprint sensor nor did the article even mention one. If this is in fact the Axon7 successor (which i hope it's not) I hope it doesn't rely on facial recognition only to unlock the device. I also don't like the fact that it doesn't look to have dual front facing speakers. I agree about the color as I like the dark blue. From what I've heard, this is device is pretty close to what the Axon9 will look like.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,864 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at that story on a tablet and if I zoom it looks like it has 3 speaker grills on the back near the bottom. I would be interested if it has top and bottom firing speakers but if the speaker is mounted on the back I wouldn't have any interest at all. I just hope that it's an inaccurate render. Not nuts about the 18:9 aspect ratio either but I expected it.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I'm looking at that story on a tablet and if I zoom it looks like it has 3 speaker grills on the back near the bottom. I would be interested if it has top and bottom firing speakers but if the speaker is mounted on the back I wouldn't have any interest at all. I just hope that it's an inaccurate render. Not nuts about the 18:9 aspect ratio either but I expected it.

I zoomed in as well and noticed the same exact thing about the 3 speaker grills on the back.

@texasmade1 said:
    I don't see a fingerprint sensor nor did the article even mention one. If this is in fact the Axon7 successor (which i hope it's not) I hope it doesn't rely on facial recognition only to unlock the device. I also don't like the fact that it doesn't look to have dual front facing speakers. I agree about the color as I like the dark blue. From what I've heard, this is device is pretty close to what the Axon9 will look like.

They could have put the fingerprint sensor on the power button like the Razer phone.

edited February 11, 2018 2:00PM

@jimlloyd40 @westside80 I just noticed an under display fingerprint sensor, now that I like..

@texasmade1 said:
    @jimlloyd40 @westside80 I just noticed an under display fingerprint sensor, now that I like..

Nice catch @texasmade1.

edited February 11, 2018 2:07PM

@texasmade1 said:

I don't think that's an under the display fingerprint scanner. It's just the fingerprint scanner icon. My 6p and Pixel XL have that same icon on the lock screen. I hope the buttons light up. It's hard to tell if they do or not from that picture. I really don't think that's the A9 anyways but it's not a bad looking phone.

This is a render but I really do hope that ZTE would not be foolish enough to do away with what is arguably the Axon 7 's best feature that being the dual speakers. I thought HTC was the only company dumb enough to do that. Like I said I could live with top and bottom mounted dual speakers.

• dsprockeee1dsprockeee1 Cleveland, OHPosts: 68 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 2:10PM

@westside80 said:

@dsprockeee1 said:

I think it looks alright. What don't you like about it? I doubt that's really the Axon 9 but I'd say it's close to what it'll look like. I really like that dark blue color. One thing I don't like is the fact that there doesn't seem to be dual front facing speakers.

Couple things actually. One being there's no front facing speakers. The Axon 7 was known for them, and releasing a successor to the Axon 7 should imply it'll be like the Axon 7, but better specs. I am not sure how removing those would grant the right to call it a successor. There's no mention, or indication of a fingerprint scanner, which again should be mandatory to a phone being a successor to one that had it previously. I don't know it's just bothering me to see things being removed that shouldn't be. In my mind, a successor to the Axon 7 should have all the same features, but better specs and design. ZTE would be going backwards with the Axon 9 if those images are true, and should just make that phone part of another line. I don't think it belongs in the Axon family. Especially not after the beautifulness of the Axon 7. Just my opinion.

Also, as others have mentioned, the screen shows a fingerprint indication and I assumed as well that it would be integrated into the power button like some phones. Which I feel would again be going backwards.

EDIT: Seems the thread got moved to Rumor Mill, which hopefully is a sign this leak isn't trustworthy.

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

I don't think that's an under the display fingerprint scanner. It's just the fingerprint scanner icon. My 6p and Pixel XL has that same icon on the lock screen. I hope the buttons light up. It's hard to tell if they do or not from that picture. I really don't think that's the A9 anyways but it's not a bad looking phone.

I don't like asking stupid questions but @westside80 why is there a fingerprint icon on your Pixel phone's lockscreen if it's not a sensor? I hope that I don't regret asking that. 😁

@dsprockeee1 said:

@westside80 said:

@dsprockeee1 said:

Couple things actually. One being there's no front facing speakers. The Axon 7 was known for them, and releasing a successor to the Axon 7 should imply it'll be like the Axon 7, but better specs. I am not sure how removing those would grant the right to call it a successor. There's no mention, or indication of a fingerprint scanner, which again should be mandatory to a phone being a successor to one that had it previously. I don't know it's just bothering me to see things being removed that shouldn't be. In my mind, a successor to the Axon 7 should have all the same features, but better specs and design. ZTE would be going backward with the Axon 9 if those images are true, and should just make that phone part of another line. I don't think it belongs in the Axon family. Especially not after the beautifulness of the Axon 7. Just my opinion.

I agree with you about the speakers but there's clearly a fingerprint scanner icon on the lock screen which means it will have a fingerprint scanner. That's probably not the real A9 anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

@dsprockeee1 said:

@westside80 said:

@dsprockeee1 said:

Couple things actually. One being there's no front facing speakers. The Axon 7 was known for them, and releasing a successor to the Axon 7 should imply it'll be like the Axon 7, but better specs. I am not sure how removing those would grant the right to call it a successor. There's no mention, or indication of a fingerprint scanner, which again should be mandatory to a phone being a successor to one that had it previously. I don't know it's just bothering me to see things being removed that shouldn't be. In my mind, a successor to the Axon 7 should have all the same features, but better specs and design. ZTE would be going backwards with the Axon 9 if those images are true, and should just make that phone part of another line. I don't think it belongs in the Axon family. Especially not after the beautifulness of the Axon 7. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Seems the thread got moved to Rumor Mill, which hopefully is a sign this leak isn't trustworthy.

I agree @dsprockeee1. I think it's an inaccurate render. The Rumor Mill is the appropriate thread.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

I don't think that's an under the display fingerprint scanner. It's just the fingerprint scanner icon. My 6p and Pixel XL has that same icon on the lock screen. I hope the buttons light up. It's hard to tell if they do or not from that picture. I really don't think that's the A9 anyways but it's not a bad looking phone.

I don't like asking stupid questions but @westside80 why is there a fingerprint icon on your Pixel phone's lock screen if it's not a sensor? I hope that I don't regret asking that. 😁

Because it's letting you know that you can use the fingerprint scanner. My Axon 7 has the same exact icon on the lock screen in between the camera and mic icons. All 3 of my phones have that icon. I thought all phones with fingerprint scanners had that icon. Every one I've had has had it.

@westside80 said:

@dsprockeee1 said:

@westside80 said:

@dsprockeee1 said:

Couple things actually. One being there's no front facing speakers. The Axon 7 was known for them, and releasing a successor to the Axon 7 should imply it'll be like the Axon 7, but better specs. I am not sure how removing those would grant the right to call it a successor. There's no mention, or indication of a fingerprint scanner, which again should be mandatory to a phone being a successor to one that had it previously. I don't know it's just bothering me to see things being removed that shouldn't be. In my mind, a successor to the Axon 7 should have all the same features, but better specs and design. ZTE would be going backward with the Axon 9 if those images are true, and should just make that phone part of another line. I don't think it belongs in the Axon family. Especially not after the beautifulness of the Axon 7. Just my opinion.

I agree with you about the speakers but there's clearly a fingerprint scanner icon on the lock screen which means it will have a fingerprint scanner. That's probably not the real A9 anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah agreed. Just thought I'd post it here and see what other people think about it. As I said I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

I don't like asking stupid questions but @westside80 why is there a fingerprint icon on your Pixel phone's lock screen if it's not a sensor? I hope that I don't regret asking that. 😁

Because it's letting you know that you can use the fingerprint scanner. My Axon 7 has the same exact icon on the lock screen in between the camera and mic icons. All 3 of my phones have that icon. I thought all phones with fingerprint scanners had that icon. Every one I've had has had it.

I'm happy that it wasn't a dumb question. Sorry for being naive but since I don't use a lockscreen I've never seen that.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the bezels should be smaller or have front facing dual speakers

The fingerprint scanner icon on the l> @jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

I'm happy that it wasn't a dumb question. Sorry for being naive but since I don't use a lockscreen I've never seen that.

All phones with fingerprint scanners have that icon on the lock screen. It's there just to let you know that the fingerprint scanner is avaliable to use. A lot of people probably never see it because if you use the fingerprint scanner it bypasses the lock screen and you never see it but if you just tap the power button to light up your lock screen you'll notice the fingerprint scanner icon, if you have the fingerprint scanner set up.

edited February 11, 2018 2:27PM

The sad part is most devices are starting to look alike these days due to the 18:9 ratio and the bezel-less design that most companies are going for.
    That's why imo the Axon9 should stay as close in design language as possible to the A7, so it will look like the clear successor. I think the A7 had a beautiful design and it's front facing speakers were a trademark feature that should live on. ZTE can definitely shrink the bezels from the size they are on the A7 and still included the dual ffs.
    I don't think this render is the A9 but if ZTE follows the masses (I hope they don't) then more than likely it's a pretty close render. I just hope the real thing still has the ffs and a fingerprint sensor somewhere as long as it's not next to the camera 😉

edited February 11, 2018 2:35PM

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

All phones with fingerprint scanners have that icon on the lock screen. It's there just to let you know that the fingerprint scanner is avaliable to use. A lot of people probably never see it because if you use the fingerprint scanner it bypasses the lock screen and you never see it but if you just tap the power button to light up your lock screen you'll notice the fingerprint scanner icon, if you have the fingerprint scanner set up.

@westside80 Maybe a dumb question, but how do I get my Axon7 to show that icon? I've never seen it on my lock screen and I've looked in the security settings to see if it was an option that could be turned on or off but I haven't found anything. On my ZMax Pro it shows it on the lockscreen, weird..

The Alcatel Idol 4S has dual speakers that are bottom and top firing and are as loud and good sounding as the Axon 7 and they could be heard if the phone was placed face down for whatever reason.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    The Alcatel Idol 4S has dual speakers that are bottom and top firing and are as loud and good sounding as the Axon 7 and they could be heard if the phone was placed face down for whatever reason.

The Idol 4s definitely sounds good, my buddy has one and it sounds great.

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 Maybe a dumb question, but how do I get my Axon7 to show that icon? I've never seen it on my lock screen and I've looked in the security settings to see if it was an option that could be turned on or off but I haven't found anything. On my ZMax Pro it shows it on the lockscreen, weird..

Not sure why it's not showing. Maybe because that straight white line is showing in the middle instead. It shows on my Axon 7, 6p and PXL. Maybe you have something interfering with it. Not sure. I don't have that white straight line on my Axon 7 lock screen.

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

Not sure why it's not showing. Maybe because that straight white line is showing in the middle instead. It shows on my Axon 7, 6p and PXL. Maybe you have something interfering with it. Not sure. I don't have that white straight line on my Axon 7 lock screen.

Definitely strange as there's nothing I've done to it that should interfere with it. Could be just be another quirk in MiFavor

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

Definitely strange as there's nothing I've done to it that should interfere with it. Could be just be another quirk in MiFavor

And if the rumors are true we won't have to worry about MiFavor quirks when the A9 comes out.

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

What's that white line in the middle for? I don't have that on mine.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Moderator Posts: 1,199 admin
    edited February 11, 2018 2:57PM

I moved this thread to Rumor Mill just for these reasons. Speculate away ;)

@Aerospaceman said:
    I moved this thread to Rumor Mill just for these reasons. Speculate away ;)

Sorry for posting it in the Axon 7 section. Had no idea there was a forum for rumors until this was moved there. Hope to see more responses about this. And hope ZTE takes into consideration the replies.

edited February 11, 2018 3:08PM

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@texasmade1 said:

What's that white line in the middle for? I don't have that on mine.

I couldn't tell you, I don't have the slighted idea lol. I've tried everything short of a factory reset to get the fingerprint icon to show up lol. What are your lockscreen/security settings set to, such as fingerprint + pin etc..?