Please don't let this be the Axon 9 - Leaked images arise?

Comments

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 4:29PM

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@westside80 said:
    The fingerprint scanner icon on the l> @jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@texasmade1 said:
    @jimlloyd40 @westside80 I just noticed an under display fingerprint sensor, now that I like..

@texasmade1 said:
    @jimlloyd40 @westside80 I just noticed an under display fingerprint sensor, now that I like..

I don't think that's an under the display fingerprint scanner. It's just the fingerprint scanner icon. My 6p and Pixel XL has that same icon on the lock screen. I hope the buttons light up. It's hard to tell if they do or not from that picture. I really don't think that's the A9 anyways but it's not a bad looking phone.

I don't like asking stupid questions but @westside80 why is there a fingerprint icon on your Pixel phone's lock screen if it's not a sensor? I hope that I don't regret asking that. 😁

Because it's letting you know that you can use the fingerprint scanner. My Axon 7 has the same exact icon on the lock screen in between the camera and mic icons. All 3 of my phones have that icon. I thought all phones with fingerprint scanners had that icon. Every one I've had has had it.

I'm happy that it wasn't a dumb question. Sorry for being naive but since I don't use a lockscreen I've never seen that.

All phones with fingerprint scanners have that icon on the lock screen. It's there just to let you know that the fingerprint scanner is avaliable to use. A lot of people probably never see it because if you use the fingerprint scanner it bypasses the lock screen and you never see it but if you just tap the power button to light up your lock screen you'll notice the fingerprint scanner icon, if you have the fingerprint scanner set up.

@westside80 Maybe a dumb question, but how do I get my Axon7 to show that icon? I've never seen it on my lock screen and I've looked in the security settings to see if it was an option that could be turned on or off but I haven't found anything. On my ZMax Pro it shows it on the lockscreen, weird..

Not sure why it's not showing. Maybe because that straight white line is showing in the middle instead. It shows on my Axon 7, 6p and PXL. Maybe you have something interfering with it. Not sure. I don't have that white straight line on my Axon 7 lock screen.

Definitely strange as there's nothing I've done to it that should interfere with it. Could be just be another quirk in MiFavor

What's that white line in the middle for? I don't have that on mine.

I couldn't tell you, I don't have the slighted idea lol. I've tried everything short of a factory reset to get the fingerprint icon to show up lol. What are your lockscreen/security settings set to, such as fingerprint + pin etc..?

My scren lock is set to PIN with fingerprint enabled as well and I have ZTE Locker turned off. That's it.

Thank you very much @westside80 it was the one thing I forgot to try. It was ZTE Locker that causes the fingerprint icon to not be displayed.

Here is my lockscreen now with ZTE Locker turned off

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,912 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind the design myself. I'm tired of metal and really dislike glass, so it it's a rubberized back like that on the Blade Z Max I'd be happy with that. The blue looks nice, though I'd probably just cover it with a case anyway. Interesting that there's 4 cameras. Assuming some sort of AI is lurking in the background.

I don't like the fact that the rear camera is 20MP, I'm going to assume that the pixel size is going to be too small like every other ZTE camera. But we'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FPS is on the side, they've already implemented this design on the Axon M, so it wouldn't be difficult. It would also allow for a thicker device, hopefully to fit a fatty battery! The Axon 7, 7 Mini, and Blade Z Max all have the FPS icon in the same place as the pic, so i doubt it's under screen.

ZTE uses parts from manufacturers like many other OEMs. It's getting difficult to make a really unique device. Panels are made by who, Samsung and LG? 18:9 is just the way it's going to be.

As far as if this is the real A9 or not I don't know. But one question to ask is could this possible be the Blade V9 Pro we are looking at?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:
    I don't mind the design myself. I'm tired of metal and really dislike glass, so it it's a rubberized back like that on the Blade Z Max I'd be happy with that. The blue looks nice, though I'd probably just cover it with a case anyway. Interesting that there's 4 cameras. Assuming some sort of AI is lurking in the background.

I don't like the fact that the rear camera is 20MP, I'm going to assume that the pixel size is going to be too small like every other ZTE camera. But we'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FPS is on the side, they've already implemented this design on the Axon M, so it wouldn't be difficult. It would also allow for a thicker device, hopefully to fit a fatty battery! The Axon 7, 7 Mini, and Blade Z Max all have the FPS icon in the same place as the pic, so i doubt it's under screen.

ZTE uses parts from manufacturers like many other OEMs. It's getting difficult to make a really unique device. Panels are made by who, Samsung and LG? 18:9 is just the way it's going to be.

As far as if this is the real A9 or not I don't know. But one question to ask is could this possible be the Blade V9 Pro we are looking at?

@hollap I agree with you about the type of back on a phone but I don't think that there's any chance that ZTE would use something other than metal or glass and the A9 will likely be glass. If ZTE was to use a rubberized back on a flagship they would never hear the end of it.

I also agree with you that the render is more likely the Blade V9 Pro. The Blade V9 just went through the FCC two weeks ago.

https://www.xda-developers.com/zte-blade-v9-2gb-ram-android-oreo-fcc/

As did the Blade V9 Vita.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fcc_query.php?gc=SRQ&pc=-V9VITA

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@hollap I agree with you about the type of back on a phone but I don't think that there's any chance that ZTE would use something other than metal or glass and the A9 will likely be glass. If ZTE was to use a rubberized back on a flagship they would never hear the end of it.

I also agree with you that the render is more likely the Blade V9 Pro. The Blade V9 just went through the FCC two weeks ago.

https://www.xda-developers.com/zte-blade-v9-2gb-ram-android-oreo-fcc/

As did the Blade V9 Vita.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fcc_query.php?gc=SRQ&pc=-V9VITA

That link doesn't work @hollap

Here's a pic:

@westside80 said:
    Good Lord. Who comes up with their naming scheme? Terrible. V9 Vita?

LOL I have no idea @westside80.

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Without metal, it is hard to pass a bend test with a smartphone, unless you go with a really thick metal midframe. For a metal design, the design I liked most, was the Axon pro.

With a metal mid frame and around 2/3rds of the back being metal (which helped to work as a heatsink), you had a device that had a good amount of metal, but plastic endcaps where the antennas could be located. This allowed for better reception than what you would normally get from an all metal smartphone.

The the rumor image, while it is likely fake as it is missing a fingerprint scanner and other desirable features. A design like in the rumor, but with a fingerprint scanner and front facing stereo speakers, and probably moving back to a single camera on the back and a single front facing camera, would be good.
    Instead of 2 small cameras, it is better to have one bigger sensor that wont make your images look like swiss cheese when you crank the ISO up to 4000.

I don't see a reason to add a second camera unless you already have the single best camera module money can buy and there is simply no way to spend more on the camera other than to throw in a second one.

Same for the front, what would you rather have, 1 cameras with probably a 1/4th inch sensor, or a single camera module with probably just the rear camera module from the previous gen flagship (which would likely be cheaper and look better than the average front facing camera)?

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:
    Good Lord. Who comes up with their naming scheme? Terrible. V9 Vita?

LOL I have no idea @westside80.

:D I think it may be time someone else took over the naming of ZTE phone's. Especially the mid-rangers.

Maybe the ZTE Westside?

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is rather interesting render. The phone looks too far different than the entire axon line and it does not appear to be looking like anything that ZTE has. I doubt it is real but it is still nice to see people get excited about the next Axon.

Personally, I am a big fan of metal body and would hope that ZTE continues with the next Axon. I can live with the rubberized material if it is done right but really hate glass back as I just feel it is asking for another reason to break the phone.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018 11:00AM

To me, the additional durability added by a metal body is nullified by its impact on signal strength. In reality the body material doesn't really matter to me at all because I'm going to put it in a case no matter what it's made out of.

Edit: Also, I think the render is a really nice looking phone. If ZTE wants to compete in the flagship/flagship-killer space they're going to need to embrace the design elements that are in demand by those consumers, which includes smaller bezels.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018 12:24PM

I agree that ZTE needs to embrace the design elements that are in demand by consumers, but they also need to keep the design elements that made the Axon7 unique, such as the dual front facing speakers. I don't see a reason why ZTE couldn't accomplish smaller bezels yet keep the dual front facing speakers. I'm looking at the Axon7 and there seems to be a way to put the bezels on a diet while retaining such a feature. ZTE could also potentially use a 5.7' display and still keep the ffs, this might entail using software buttons instead of the capacitive buttons the Axon7 used but it would keep possibly the top feature from the Axon7 and have it live on with the Axon9. However I personally don't like the on screen buttons taking up any of my screen real estate, but that's just my preference. I would gladly take on screen buttons to have the ffs live on as they make the multimedia experience great on the Axon7. Then again this is all just my opinion and we will eventually see what route ZTE decided was the best for them as a company.

Is anybody else seeing this? Could this be a speaker design similar to the Alcatel Idol 4S? And the "vents" on the back, could they be subwoofer ports for air expansion?

• dsprockeee1dsprockeee1 United StatesPosts: 76 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    Is anybody else seeing this? Could this be a speaker design similar to the Alcatel Idol 4S? And the "vents" on the back, could they be subwoofer ports for air expansion?

I can see what you're seeing, but no, that's just the curved design of the frame. The grey just curves down the top a little. Similar to the Nexus 6:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    The render from the Reddit story isn't the Axon 9. The Axon 9 will most likely have a glass back or possibly aluminum and there wouldn't be any holes cut in the back of either of those materials.

You know that?