Possible Info About Android P

texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 12, 2018 1:32PM in Rumor Mill

Take this with a grain of salt but the article below suggests that Android P will embrace the notch to try and get more iPhone users to switch over to Android devices, it also suggests that there will be more integration of Google Assistant. I guess we will see when Android P is announced publicly but until then, speculate away ;)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/12/17003326/google-android-p-redesign-notch-support-assistant-integration-rumors

«1

Comments

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    The notch is coming whether we want it to or not.

  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @hollap said:
    The notch is coming whether we want it to or not.

    Without a doubt, and since it is coming it would only make sense for Android to embrace it.

  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @I'm wondering what Android "P" will stand for... Pecan Pie, Pancake, Parfait, Pumpkin Pie....hmm this all sounds delicious 😉

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018 1:44PM

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

  • westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    The notch is the dumbest thing ever! You basically lose even more screen real estate. I don't get it and I'm not a fan.

  • westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

  • dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,086 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Personally, I don't mind the notch. There is going to be different variations of the notch coming, without a doubt.

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @dnewman007 said:
    Personally, I don't mind the notch. There is going to be different variations of the notch coming, without a doubt.

    I actually don't mind it either. I had a chance to play around with the Essential phone for a bit, and I barely knew it was there.

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    I love pistachios, but I hope they follow the sweet theme they have used from the beginning. Can't believe we are talking about P when less than 2% of phones have O.

  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2018 9:03PM

    @hollap said:

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    I love pistachios, but I hope they follow the sweet theme they have used from the beginning. Can't believe we are talking about P when less than 2% of phones have O.

    Unfortunately that seems to be the norm at least for now and in the past anyway. Hopefully Project Treble changes up things so that eventually the fragmentation won't be as bad.

  • westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2018 9:17PM

    @hollap said:

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    I love pistachios, but I hope they follow the sweet theme they have used from the beginning. Can't believe we are talking about P when less than 2% of phones have O.

    Tell me about it. Android's dirty little secret, red headed step child. I guess it's not really a secret that 99% of Android phones run outdated software, may not be a secret but it sure is a shame.

  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2018 9:51PM

    Come on @westside80 give em a lil credit, it's down to 98% 😉

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:
    The notch is the dumbest thing ever! You basically lose even more screen real estate. I don't get it and I'm not a fan.

    @westside80 I agree. What really annoys me is that Apple seems to be getting credit, if you want to call it credit, for inventing the so called "notch". The Essential phone came out before the iPhone X and was the first with the "notch". It's more like a reduced bezel.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    @westside80 do you know if Google has ever used the internal testing name when the update comes out? My guess is popsicle.

  • westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    @westside80 do you know if Google has ever used the internal testing name when the update comes out? My guess is popsicle.

    They haven't. My guess is Android Payday.

  • 14blank4014blank40 Toronto, OntarioPosts: 253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    @westside80 do you know if Google has ever used the internal testing name when the update comes out? My guess is popsicle.

    They haven't. My guess is Android Payday.

    I haven't heard of Payday in Canada and when I searched it up, it seems to really be only sold in America so I'm not sure if that will come to be as the name wouldn't really have recognition elsewhere. I would have to say Popsicle just because it's a common dessert worldwide or parfait because I like the way it sounds lol. As for the notch, I'm not a fan of it either, especially for media consumption as it cuts off part of what you're watching or leaves it at a 16:9 aspect, in which case there's no point of that screen.

  • westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @14blank40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    @westside80 do you know if Google has ever used the internal testing name when the update comes out? My guess is popsicle.

    They haven't. My guess is Android Payday.

    I haven't heard of Payday in Canada and when I searched it up, it seems to really be only sold in America so I'm not sure if that will come to be as the name wouldn't really have recognition elsewhere. I would have to say Popsicle just because it's a common dessert worldwide or parfait because I like the way it sounds lol. As for the notch, I'm not a fan of it either, especially for media consumption as it cuts off part of what you're watching or leaves it at a 16:9 aspect, in which case there's no point of that screen.

    It was just a guess. Guess is all anyone can do at this time. Can't believe you've never heard of Payday. Canada is missing out because there's nothing like peanuts and caramel. 🤤

  • 14blank4014blank40 Toronto, OntarioPosts: 253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @14blank40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    @westside80 do you know if Google has ever used the internal testing name when the update comes out? My guess is popsicle.

    They haven't. My guess is Android Payday.

    I haven't heard of Payday in Canada and when I searched it up, it seems to really be only sold in America so I'm not sure if that will come to be as the name wouldn't really have recognition elsewhere. I would have to say Popsicle just because it's a common dessert worldwide or parfait because I like the way it sounds lol. As for the notch, I'm not a fan of it either, especially for media consumption as it cuts off part of what you're watching or leaves it at a 16:9 aspect, in which case there's no point of that screen.

    It was just a guess. Guess is all anyone can do at this time. Can't believe you've never heard of Payday. Canada is missing out because there's nothing like peanuts and caramel. 🤤

    Can't miss something you've never had I guess lol

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    A small delivery company that I use to drive for before starting my own delivery company used to give out Payday candy bars on payday.

  • westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @14blank40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @14blank40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    @westside80 do you know if Google has ever used the internal testing name when the update comes out? My guess is popsicle.

    They haven't. My guess is Android Payday.

    I haven't heard of Payday in Canada and when I searched it up, it seems to really be only sold in America so I'm not sure if that will come to be as the name wouldn't really have recognition elsewhere. I would have to say Popsicle just because it's a common dessert worldwide or parfait because I like the way it sounds lol. As for the notch, I'm not a fan of it either, especially for media consumption as it cuts off part of what you're watching or leaves it at a 16:9 aspect, in which case there's no point of that screen.

    It was just a guess. Guess is all anyone can do at this time. Can't believe you've never heard of Payday. Canada is missing out because there's nothing like peanuts and caramel. 🤤

    Can't miss something you've never had I guess lol

    I'm pretty sure you could make your own Payday if you wanted. It's just caramel and peanuts, that's it. Wonder why Payday candy bars aren't in Canada?

  • westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:
    A small delivery company that I use to drive for before starting my own delivery company used to give out Payday candy bars on payday.

    I may have to go get me one today. I haven't ate one in awhile.

  • 14blank4014blank40 Toronto, OntarioPosts: 253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @14blank40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @14blank40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @texasmade1 said:

    @hollap said:
    In order of my preference:

    Pez
    Peeps
    Pixy Stick
    Pumpkin Pie
    Parfait
    Payday

    I'm loving the Pez idea, brings back so many good childhood memories of me pestering my mom or dad to buy me some in the line at the grocery store...
    Google has also used KitKat so I could see them using another candy bar and Payday would be a good one imo

    Pistachio is the inside code name Google is using.

    @westside80 do you know if Google has ever used the internal testing name when the update comes out? My guess is popsicle.

    They haven't. My guess is Android Payday.

    I haven't heard of Payday in Canada and when I searched it up, it seems to really be only sold in America so I'm not sure if that will come to be as the name wouldn't really have recognition elsewhere. I would have to say Popsicle just because it's a common dessert worldwide or parfait because I like the way it sounds lol. As for the notch, I'm not a fan of it either, especially for media consumption as it cuts off part of what you're watching or leaves it at a 16:9 aspect, in which case there's no point of that screen.

    It was just a guess. Guess is all anyone can do at this time. Can't believe you've never heard of Payday. Canada is missing out because there's nothing like peanuts and caramel. 🤤

    Can't miss something you've never had I guess lol

    I'm pretty sure you could make your own Payday if you wanted. It's just caramel and peanuts, that's it. Wonder why Payday candy bars aren't in Canada?

    Doesn't sound too hard to make, and I'm guessing that either they never decided to sell Payday outside of the US or Canada didn't receive them too well. It's like how as far as I know, they don't sell Smarties in the US (the ones that are similar to M&M's not the other type)

  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Since Google has already use an ice cream themed named and a candy bar type name with ICS & KitKat, I don't think they will use another in Popsicle or Payday.
    I'm thinking Parfait or maybe even Peanut Butter....but there's no telling what they'll decide which is what makes it somewhat entertaining to guess.

  • 14blank4014blank40 Toronto, OntarioPosts: 253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @texasmade1 said:
    Since Google has already use an ice cream themed named and a candy bar type name with ICS & KitKat, I don't think they will use another in Popsicle or Payday.
    I'm thinking Parfait or maybe even Peanut Butter....but there's no telling what they'll decide which is what makes it somewhat entertaining to guess.

    I mean they did FroYo and ice-cream sandwich, which are both ice cream themed

  • westside80westside80 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    There's no telling what they will go with. I would've never guessed Nougat.

  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @14blank40 said:

    @texasmade1 said:
    Since Google has already used an ice cream themed named and a candy bar type name with ICS & KitKat, I don't think they will use another in Popsicle or Payday.
    I'm thinking Parfait or maybe even Peanut Butter....but there's no telling what they'll decide which is what makes it somewhat entertaining to guess.

    I mean they did FroYo and ice-cream sandwich, which are both ice cream themed

    I did forget about Froyo, and for that matter Parfait is generally considered an ice cream type desert as well so my theory goes right it the window.. I contradicted myself lol

  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFW-Dallas-Big DPosts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2018 2:04PM

    @westside80 said:
    There's no telling what they will go with. I would've never guessed Nougat.

    Same here, I never even thought of Nougat when speculating about what 7.0 might be named. Google is pretty good at keeping the name of the newest version under wraps until it's announced.

  • razor512razor512 New York Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    When it comes to the update cycle for devices, while project treble will make things easier, it likely will not improve the update frequency on smartphones, as the issue with updates do not seem to have much to do with the difficulty of the programming, but instead some device makers simply not wanting to release any updates, even if it is to just to the minimal effort of pushing out a security update.

    The only way to fix the fragmentation and update issues, is to take the core update control away from the device makers, and move to a model that is more like how windows is run.

    You can build a PC where they are millions of potential hardware configurations, but since everyone builds the hardware to a standard, and OS built to the same standard can be universally run on the hardware, then the OEM simply releases a set of drivers that is installed after the OS is installed.

    With such a system, the OS gets security updates every month, as well as in the case of windows 10, twice yearly feature updates where the entire OS is effectively replaced (whoich is why you get an image of drive c in a windows.old folder after those updates.

    Imagine if for a laptop, you had to rely on the device maker to push out OS security updates, the majority of computers on the planet would be dealing with ransomware infections.

    For example, laptops from Dell, HP, Lenovo, alienware, MSI, Asus, and many other companies that were released in mid 2016, are mostly still using chipset, and onboard GPU drivers from over a year ago. The reason why you can buy everything from a $100 netbook, to a $20,000 laptop and have both systems run the same build of windows, and the be on the same security update, and receive those updates on the 2nd Tuesday of every month, is because Microsoft took OS updates completely out of the hands of the device makers.

    If Google could do the same with android, then you will likely see an OS distribution chart where 95-97% of the devices are running android 8.1, with the remainder spread across android 4.x and 2.3.x, where they are stuck on older software due to hardware limitations.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @razor512 said:
    When it comes to the update cycle for devices, while project treble will make things easier, it likely will not improve the update frequency on smartphones, as the issue with updates do not seem to have much to do with the difficulty of the programming, but instead some device makers simply not wanting to release any updates, even if it is to just to the minimal effort of pushing out a security update.

    The only way to fix the fragmentation and update issues, is to take the core update control away from the device makers, and move to a model that is more like how windows is run.

    You can build a PC where they are millions of potential hardware configurations, but since everyone builds the hardware to a standard, and OS built to the same standard can be universally run on the hardware, then the OEM simply releases a set of drivers that is installed after the OS is installed.

    With such a system, the OS gets security updates every month, as well as in the case of windows 10, twice yearly feature updates where the entire OS is effectively replaced (whoich is why you get an image of drive c in a windows.old folder after those updates.

    Imagine if for a laptop, you had to rely on the device maker to push out OS security updates, the majority of computers on the planet would be dealing with ransomware infections.

    For example, laptops from Dell, HP, Lenovo, alienware, MSI, Asus, and many other companies that were released in mid 2016, are mostly still using chipset, and onboard GPU drivers from over a year ago. The reason why you can buy everything from a $100 netbook, to a $20,000 laptop and have both systems run the same build of windows, and the be on the same security update, and receive those updates on the 2nd Tuesday of every month, is because Microsoft took OS updates completely out of the hands of the device makers.

    If Google could do the same with android, then you will likely see an OS distribution chart where 95-97% of the devices are running android 8.1, with the remainder spread across android 4.x and 2.3.x, where they are stuck on older software due to hardware limitations.

    And that would be great but it won't ever happen on Android because of the OEMs installing their UI blended (coded) into the OS. Microsoft and Apple can do that because they control the OS. Project Treble can only improve it somewhat. I'm sure Google in retrospect wishes that they would have just manufactured the Android phones and not made it open source so they could control the OS like Microsoft and Apple.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.