Welcome to our Beta Lab page.

No Current Recruitment Projects

Interested in Beta Testing... Do This First!

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Axon 7 A2017U Oreo Preview Program

Comments

• Im__AxionIm__Axion CanadaPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2018 2:21AM

So in this AA article https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-7-android-8-0-oreo-beta-program-837903/
    ZTE's VP of product marketing mentioned what the Oreo update would include and proper camera 2APi wasn't listed. Come on guys please! We all want the feature. Hopefully there'll be more to the update then was listed. The new emojis weren't mentioned either but I'm assuming those will be added, as an example. but the fact that a feature like that wasn't mentioned worries me.

• bjhiltbrandbjhiltbrand United StatesPosts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I don't remember seeing any sort of timetable as to when testing groups for the different phases would be decided. Does anyone have an idea of what to expect there?

• blujbluj United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭

I'm curious as to what the release timetable is as well. Anyone have an educated estimate based off of past betas?

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Based on past betas @bluj it will be released when it is done :). If the testers are finding large numbers of bugs they will keep pushing off a public release for the next internal build. Internal builds come out of R&D approximately every two weeks after the Beta is underway. There is often a fast ring and slow ring to the beta groups. The fast ring will get more builds and they will most likely have more issues. Once a build seems stable enough it will go to the slow ring beta. This means users in the slow ring might be on the same build for a month or more while major issues are addressed in the fast ring.

@bluj said:
    I'm curious as to what the release timetable is as well. Anyone have an educated estimate based off of past betas?

For a release timetable, it will take time. The last beta took a few months to get to a point where Nougat was released to the public, and even then the beta continued finding and killing bugs that crept up. I would assume this will be no different. Don't expect it to be publicly released quickly, as it takes time to get it to a state that the general public can handle. ZTEs betas are incredibly well-run and organized, so it will move forward, although it may not seem like it at times.

My question above was more geared towards whether or not I missed a timetable (which was obviously not given) as to when to expect an answer from ZTE if we had or had not made the cut for the various beta rounds.

@westside80 said:

@bjhiltbrand said:

@bluj said:

For a release timetable, it will take time. The last beta took a few months to get to a point where Nougat was released to the public, and even then the beta continued finding and killing bugs that crept up. I would assume this will be no different. Don't expect it to be publicly released quickly, as it takes time to get it to a state that the general public can handle. ZTEs betas are incredibly well-run and organized, so it will move forward, although it may not seem like it at times.

My question above was more geared towards whether or not I missed a timetable (which was obviously not given) as to when to expect an answer from ZTE if we had or had not made the cut for the various beta rounds.

You'll find out if you made the cut if you receive an email from ZTE saying you made the cut. If you don't make the cut then you'll never hear anything, unless you make the next cut. It all depends on how many people apply and according to this thread there hasn't been many people to apply. Unless a lot of people applied and just didn't leave a comment saying they applied.

I know I can expect an email. This isn't the first beta that I've done for ZTE. However, in other beta application processes, a deadline for decisions was set so that I knew that if I didn't get an email by that date, I had not made the cut. That is why I asked the question, as it was a divergence from previous experiences. If no timetable has been given, then no timetable has been given. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

• necromniconnecromnicon Tech Extraordinaire San Diego, CAPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

Excitedly and eagerly waiting to be accepted. Wish me luck guys....

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@necromnicon said:
    Excitedly and eagerly waiting to be accepted. Wish me luck guys....

Good luck to all whom applied...

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 2:27PM

I had to reapply because I sent in my phone for repairs and got a new one back, here's hoping that doesn't mess up my chances ahaha

Edit: or someone else's

@14blank40 said:
    I had to reapply because I sent in my phone for repairs and got a new one back, here's hoping that doesn't mess up my chances ahaha

Edit: or someone else's

Haha! Hopefully, you're still good. Good luck! :smile:

• sl33pyksl33pyk Android Nut-Job United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah definitely good luck to all of you, I know I'm just excited for some that oreo goodness.. Whether or not I make it in the beta, we shall see. This would be my first with ZTE so I'm happy for the chance.

It sounds like the camera2 isn't on the the plans but ZTE has definitely shocked me a couple times before with previous updates and them throwing in some features. I just hope it doesn't get all the way to public release without it. ZTE has shown to listen if enough chime in and it seems that having that API is on the top of ALOT of peoples lists.. I feel that the camera sensor is being held the heck back.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Aerospaceman said:
    The first round of testers have been selected and the Oreo beta/preview is commencing. As stated previously there will be more rounds of new testers being brought in over the course of this preview. Thank you for you patience and keep standing by if you have not been contacted yet.

Great news

• z28camaromanz28camaroman United StatesPosts: 57 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have all the first round beta testers been contacted yet?

edited February 23, 2018 7:06PM

@z28camaroman said:

It reads as if they might have been but it seems to be left open to interpretation. It's a vague comment so that's definitely a good question...

• AerospacemanAerospaceman United StatesPosts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:

@z28camaroman said:

It reads as if they might have been but it seems to be left open to interpretation. It's a vague comment so that's definitely a good question...

Yes they have. The first group is small, and future groups will grow in numbers.

@Aerospaceman said:

@texasmade1 said:

@z28camaroman said:

Yes they have. The first group is small, and future groups will grow in numbers.

Thanks for the quick reply, it's appreciated.

• Yogapants3085Yogapants3085 10918Posts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

Help

@Aerospaceman will announcements be made when or before future groups are being chosen? That way users will have an idea when to look for specific email invitations.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:
    @Aerospaceman will announcements be made when or before future groups are being chosen? That way users will have an idea when to look for specific email invitations.

This. Would be good considering a lot of my emails get sent to spam.

Yes, we will make a post when new groups will be brought in.

edited February 23, 2018 7:46PM

@Aerospaceman said:

Thanks again, hope the first round goes smoothly. Congratulations to those who got chosen.

• z28camaromanz28camaroman United StatesPosts: 57 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aerospaceman said:

Would you happen to have a rough time-frame as to when the second group will be introduced? 1 week? 2 weeks? More?

• sl33pyksl33pyk Android Nut-Job United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update, sad face for me.. At least MWC is here, finally!! 2018 is going to be a crazy year for smartphones!

edited February 23, 2018 7:53PM

@westside80 said:

@freeza said:

@texasmade1 said:

This. Would be good considering a lot of my emails get sent to spam.

Same. My Z-community emails are always in the spam box. I didn't get selected though. I honestly wasn't expecting to anyways.

@westside80 We weren't chosen ones :D

I cannot give a time frame for the next round but it will be sooner than you think. All I can say.