Second screen randomly doesn't work when flipped/turned on.

blueflukebluefluke cincinnatiPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone less having this problem? If so, has anyone found a solution? I REALLY loved this phone for games/emulation and reading books/comics but less than two months in and it's already busted. : (

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, @bluefluke

can you be a little specific on what do you mean second screen randomly does not work when flipped/turned on?

if you mean that when you flip the phone, it does not remember your previous setting and turn on the 2nd screen like you had Big A mode and close it, then open the phone up and did not return back to big A that you had to manually change it. Then I have seen this and I just manually switch the modes myself.

I have yet have to have issue with the second screen not working. I did encounter a few instances where I tap the M icon to change modes but the phone did not switch, i just have to tap the M again and select the modes again and then it will work (I think I probably just did not tap the modes fast enough get the phone to register). (not sure if this is what you meant.

• blueflukebluefluke cincinnatiPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, about 3/4 of the time, when I try to use the second screen (in any mode) it is just black. You can see that is technically on because it is lit, but remains black. The primary screen will switch to this mode, so for example, I switch to "big screen" mode the primary screen will function as the bottom half but the secondary screen is just black. If I try to switch between modes it doesn't make any difference, though if I do it enough it makes the phone reset. Resetting will resolve the issue about 1/4 of the time. And because this phone is apparently pretty niche, finding online help like I did with error I've run into with most of my previous phones is a no go. It's sad because up until it starting doing this it was my favorite phone I've ever had (just so much fun).

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen this issue with mine but it definitely sounds like a hardware problem since in Extended A mode the second screen is having issues. You could always try clearing the cache from recovery or performing a factory data reset, but I believe you'll need to contact AT&T support about this issue.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, seems to be hardware. I have never experienced this either.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree what @jasone said. Based on what you have described, it seems like the 2nd screen potentially has issue (maybe loose contact or something) that case it not functioning as it is supposed to. Factory reset is definitely something worth a try just in case it maybe related issue with software but if that does not fixed the issue, I would also suggest you to contact ATT as well.

• VizariVizari TexasPosts: 6 ✭✭✭

I've had this issue to. The screen is black but it responds to swipes. I don't believe it's hardware because I can fix this issue without refolding the phone, all I need to do is set It to single screen mode and then back to extended.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

While a basic trouble shooting step, it may be worth clearing the cache partition.

press and hold power button for about 5 seconds to bring up the power menu, after that, do the following:

1. Click on "Restart".
    2. As soon as the screen goes black, press and hold the volume up button
    3. Keep the volume up button held until the Android recovery menu appears.
    4. Now using the volume control buttons, scroll down to "Wipe cache partition".
    5. Press the power button 1 time to select the option.
    6. Use the volume control buttons again to select "Yes".
    7. Press the power button again to confirm. It should then clear the cache partition.
    8. When it is done, it will automatically take you back to the main screen with "Reboot system now" selected.
    9. Simply press the power button to select that option to reboot the system.

Also, tell us which build number you are on, by going to your Android Settings > About, and look for the build info.

• MSTKMSTK USAPosts: 60 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember experiencing this either but I have a replacement phone. I would get that called in asap to make sure it is still under warranty.

• JasonJoneIsCoolJasonJoneIsCool United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

If you still have the problem, there is an easy fix.

I had the same problem with my Z999.

The way to fix it is to remove the back side of the phone. On the back piece, you will see several pieces of metal on it. Remove all those pieces of copper looking metal, put it back on the phone, and put all the screws in.

In order to access the 7 or so screws, you have to pry up the black squares. They are just stickers hiding the screws. The top center screw had a white sticker behind the black sticker as well.

It is as simple as that. The problem is that the Z999's sensors for knowing when the screen is open, along with other things are failing.

I've done this with a couple Z999's. It fixes them every time.