Cannot upgrade my A2017U from B25 to B32 - what am I doing wrong?

wanderswanders Austin TXPosts: 8 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a lightly-used fully-stock A2017U, and I'm trying to get my system upgraded to the latest. The recovery won't do it, claiming a package mismatch. Digging into the error message, this seems to be the crux of the matter:

script aborted: E3001: Package expects build fingerprint of 
        ZTE/P996A01_N/ailsa_ii:7.1.1/NMF26V/20170420.050245:user/release-keys or 
        ZTE/P996A01_N/ailsa_ii:7.1.1/NMF26V/20170725.003053:user/release-keys;
    this device has:
        ZTE/P996A01_N/ailsa_ii:7.1.1/NMF26F/20170301.161705:user/release-keys.

To me, this looks like I'm missing an interim update. Where do I get it?

I'm an Axon 7 newb, but I've been loading ROMs for years. Just not with such picky recoveries...

Comments

• wanderswanders Austin TXPosts: 8 ✭✭✭

My phone only sees the B32 upgrade. @jimlloyd40, do you have a pointer to the B35 "upgrade.zip" (or the zip file in which it can be found)? And will the B35 image overlay my old one, or will the recovery loader be picky about that one, too?

Is there some repository of full builds? Since I have the build from March 2017 on my phone, and the updater doesn't like that, I just want to fully replace the build, not update it. Is there some way to do that?

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2018 8:14PM

You can go here https://www.zteusa.com/axon-7#support and scroll down and select software updates.

Make sure to extract the update.zip from the file that you download, then place it on the root directory of the SD card.

edited February 18, 2018 8:38PM

Also if for some reason anyone decides to downgrade just remember, if you are attempting to downgrade to an older ROM through the recovery menu, keep in mind that it will erase all data on the internal storage, thus make sure you backup the data first.

Furthermore, you need to enable the OEM unlock in the developer menu before you can flash the older ROM through the recovery menu.

Also, the update.zip file is found within the main zip file that you download, thus if you simply rename the file you downloaded instead of extracting the update.zip file from it, you will always get an error when trying to flash it.

Credit- razor512

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Thanks @texasmade1. That was more helpful than what I posted.

Thank you @jimlloyd40, I believe that we were both equally helpful in our respective posts, we just provided info that was helpful in different ways 😉

I've tried the "extract upgrade.zip from foo.zip; put on root of sdcard (or internal mem); run upgrade app" and it fails - claims the upgrade.zip is corrupt, and doesn't even leave behind an error log. I'm not renaming foo.zip, I'm exacting upgrade.zip per the instructions. What gives?

BTW, I noticed in the above pic that B32 is all that is shown on the support page. Where is B35?

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, @wanders,

can you open you about device and take a screenshot to let us know what is your current software build number?

If you have the US version of the Axon 7, then you should be able to use the zip files from ZTE's website to update. If you download the file on your phone, I would suggest maybe us a PC or laptop to download on a stable network just in case maybe the file did not get downloaded correctly. It would be a good idea to also take out the sim card and sd card when you use the file you downloaded to update.

It is running B25, from March 2017. The exact build number and date (20170301.161705) is in the OP.

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wanders said:
    I've tried the "extract upgrade.zip from foo.zip; put on root of sdcard (or internal mem); run upgrade app" and it fails - claims the upgrade.zip is corrupt, and doesn't even leave behind an error log. I'm not renaming foo.zip, I'm exacting upgrade.zip per the instructions. What gives?

@wanders I'm not sure what build you've downloaded and trying to install, but I downloaded and installed the B32 version and the file that I downloaded wasn't named anything like the file name you have in the post. And the file that needs to be extracted from the downloaded zip is named update.zip, not upgrade.zip. Again this information I know for sure applies to B32. If you're working with another build, please disregard because maybe it's not the same.

@wanders P.S. Make sure you follow ALL @texasmade1 procedures credit @razor512

edited February 19, 2018 2:40AM

@DrakenFX or @razor512 any help that you might be able to give @wanders would be great. Thanks in advance for your time and help. I'm sorry but I'm not available to do anything more than I've already posted for at least the next 12-18 hours as I'm waiting on my 🛫 departure in about an hour and will be busy. Thanks again

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to do a manual update, the steps I posted in this thread will work, but only for a US model of the Axon 7 A2017U. if it is a different model, using that same package might brick your device, thus you will need to download the update.zip for your device. https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/comment/237318/#Comment_237318

@razor512 said:
    If you want to do a manual update, the steps I posted in this thread will work, but only for a US model of the Axon 7 A2017U. if it is a different model, using that same package might brick your device, thus you will need to download the update.zip for your device. https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/comment/237318/#Comment_237318

Thanks @razor512 , it's greatly appreciated.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only way for now to complete this is to do what @wrbird did and download B32 from the ZTE website then move to B35 OTA. Do not trust any other files you download from other sites. You never know what you are getting. Follow @razor512 advice from the link he posted and you should be fine.

Not sure when ZTE will be posting B35 to their website.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 449 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wanders said:
    My phone only sees the B32 upgrade. @jimlloyd40, do you have a pointer to the B35 "upgrade.zip" (or the zip file in which it can be found)? And will the B35 image overlay my old one, or will the recovery loader be picky about that one, too?

Why don't you just update the phone to B32 first like the phone wants to. After that you should get a notice that B35 is available. At that time update to B35.

One and all, thanks for all the info and advice. I sincerely appreciate it. However, given the difficulty of upgrading the software (something that should be trivial) and the fact that my phone was randomly rebooting constantly, even with multiple cache wipes and system resets, I sent it back. I'll try another brand for my new phone, one that has a little better support from the factory. Best regards to all, and again, sincere thanks.

Consider this issue / thread closed.

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I seriously feel bad for the users that have issues with this phone! This is truly an amazing phone for the price. Sadly though the word price does have its meaning! You need a better phone with better support pay the extra 4 hundo for a high name brand phone! Don't get a Chinese brand that usually manufactures entry level devices (for the USA)! You either love it or hate it! Sorry to the OP!

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @wanders
    The B32 package from the zteusa site have 2 different flash packages,

Open the zip you downloaded and inside there about be another name " Update.,zip ".
    Move/Copy that file to the root of your sdcard and follow @razor512 manual process.

• Ibrahim63400Ibrahim63400 United KingdomPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. I am new here. I have been having smilar issues reported above. I've managed to update my 7 mini but having issues with this one. I am thinking about returning my lovely 7. I have tried almost everything to update to nougat but no joy. I have downloaded roms from Spanish Zte, German Zte and now I am dowloading it from USA Zte. It seems all of roms are corrupt.

@razor512 said:

@Ibrahim63400 You need to follow the above. However, as you've already tried different roms you may have already bricked your phone. Tell us exactly what you're doing and exactly what the phone is doing.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ibrahim63400 said:
    Hi guys. I am new here. I have been having smilar issues reported above. I've managed to update my 7 mini but having issues with this one. I am thinking about returning my lovely 7. I have tried almost everything to update to nougat but no joy. I have downloaded roms from Spanish Zte, German Zte and now I am dowloading it from USA Zte. It seems all of roms are corrupt.

You cannot use the US ROM on an international Mini. You have different software than the US does. For support for the European version, I would suggest looking for help at the Global ZTE support page, located here:

http://www.ztedevice.com/support

Thanks!