Cannot upgrade my A2017U from B25 to B32 - what am I doing wrong?

2»

Comments

• Ibrahim63400Ibrahim63400 United KingdomPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:

@Ibrahim63400 said:
    Hi guys. I am new here. I have been having smilar issues reported above. I've managed to update my 7 mini but having issues with this one. I am thinking about returning my lovely 7. I have tried almost everything to update to nougat but no joy. I have downloaded roms from Spanish Zte, German Zte and now I am dowloading it from USA Zte. It seems all of roms are corrupt.

You cannot use the US ROM on an international Mini. You have different software than the US does. For support for the European version, I would suggest looking for help at the Global ZTE support page, located here:

http://www.ztedevice.com/support

Thanks!

Thank you for the warning.

@wrbird . Hi. Thank you for the response. I used to have an axon 7 mini and I managed to update it to nougat by downloading the rom to my device and than extract it to my sd card in my device. After that going into recovery mode and select update from sd, find update. Zip and there you have it. My mini was updated. I have tried the same stages with the axon 7 but no luck. When I downloaded the rom on to my PC when unzipping it it comes up with an error message. Also I don't think I bricked my mobile as it's working perfectly good unless I have done some other damage that I don't know about. Sorry for the long explanation . Thanks again.

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ibrahim63400 said:
    @wrbird . Hi. Thank you for the response. I used to have an axon 7 mini and I managed to update it to nougat by downloading the rom to my device and than extract it to my sd card in my device. After that going into recovery mode and select update from sd, find update. Zip and there you have it. My mini was updated. I have tried the same stages with the axon 7 but no luck. When I downloaded the rom on to my PC when unzipping it it comes up with an error message. Also I don't think I bricked my mobile as it's working perfectly good unless I have done some other damage that I don't know about. Sorry for the long explanation . Thanks again.

@Ibrahim63400 OK, so let's take this a step at a time. Don't try to extract the entire zip file, I was also getting an error when extracting the entire file. It had problems with one of the files inside the zip. On your pc, open the zip file (don't extract it) to view the files inside. Locate the file named "update.zip". Extract that file only and place it on you SD card. Let me know if you get this far.

@wrbird said:

@Ibrahim63400 said:

@Ibrahim63400 OK, so let's take this a step at a time. Don't try to extract the entire zip file, I was also getting an error when extracting the entire file. It had problems with one of the files inside the zip. On your pc, open the zip file (don't extract it) to view the files inside. Locate the file named "update.zip". Extract that file only and place it on you SD card. Let me know if you get this far.

@Ibrahim63400 when I said, "Extract that file only and place it on you SD card" I mean extract update.zip from the downloaded file. Don't extract the update.zip file. Just copy the one file, update.zip to your card.

@Wrbird, You absolutely right about one of the files being faulty. I shall try it when I get home from work. Thanks.

@Ibrahim63400 said:
    @Wrbird, You absolutely right about one of the files being faulty. I shall try it when I get home from work. Thanks.

@Ibrahim63400 Good to hear. Keep us posted.

@wrbird . Hi. Here is a screenshot ![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6030075/uploads/editor/fd/wu0vc6gnlitn.jpg ". I've tried what you've said unfortunately still no luck. Also when I tried to update from recovery it says "footer is missing " and "verification failed". I am sorry if I sound stupid. It's just driving me crazy.

@Ibrahim63400 said:
    @wrbird . Hi. Here is a screenshot ![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6030075/uploads/editor/fd/wu0vc6gnlitn.jpg ". I've tried what you've said unfortunately still no luck. Also when I tried to update from recovery it says "footer is missing " and "verification failed". I am sorry if I sound stupid. It's just driving me crazy.

@Ibrahim63400 it's ok, you just went a step too far. Let's do this one step at a time. So, you successfully extracted and copied the update.zip file to your SD card? And you did not extract the update.zip file, correct? Your screenshot is showing what's inside the update.zip file. We need to keep that update.zip file intact. Ok, the next step, do you have what you need from your phone backed up? Because when we are successful everything will be wiped. Now you need to enable the OEM unlock in the developer menu. I received the verification error before I enable the OEM unlock. Do you know how to access the developer menu?

@wrbird . Hi. Oem is already unlocked.

@Ibrahim63400 said:
    @wrbird . Hi. Oem is already unlocked.

@Ibrahim63400 ok then. Let's hit the next step. With the update.zip file on your SD card let's boot into recovery mode and select the option to update from SD card. Then tell me exactly what happens.

@wrbird . Hi. I am trying to do all of these while I am in work. However I am not working tomorrow so I'll have more time to get this done. So you'll here more from me tomorrow. Thanks.

@Ibrahim63400 Sounds good.

@wrbird. Hi. I've followed your instructions and this is happened while trying to put the folder on to a sd card. I've downloaded the rom from Zte international, Zte Spain and Zte Germany. All giving the same error. I assume they are all the same as I downloaded the open market roms.
    Also when I tried to open the update.zip file this comes up.

@wrbird . I am downloading it again. See what happens.

@wbird ,finally managed to update. 2 things, first it might just be me but I have noticed that a later date rom on Zte's website. So as a last result I downloaded that new[ish]rom which downloaded onto my laptop and than I followed your advise and put the file directly onto sd card. Put the sd card back in to my device and gone into recovery and update from there and it worked. So I have 7.1.1 with December 2017 security patch. Thank for your help though.
    However if Zte wants to be reliable company in this industry they need to star doing OTA updates. This was really difficult.

@Ibrahim63400 I'm glad to hear you're all set.

• wanderswanders Austin TXPosts: 8 ✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 asked above with which phone I ended up. I got an LG v20 (unlocked us996 submodel - works with all carriers in the US - similar LTE bands as the Axon 7). Very similar specs to Axon 7, but screen is LCD not OLED. The V20 also has a removable battery - rare these days. It's a very nice phone with a very solid build and a great camera, but is still on Nougat 7.0 from the factory. It has good support from LineageOS, a key factor in my decision. And I got a pristine used phone (open-box return, perfect condition) for $170 US. Pretty happy with it all.

As it happens, I used to work for Qualcomm as an semiconductor engineering exec (our team is responsible for the DSP that does the modem, audio and some of the image processing in the SD 820). And I can say that ZTE is considered a first-class OEM by QCOM.

Best regards to all you ZTE fans.