AI neural engine support for Axon 7?

14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/21/qualcomm-announces-ai-engine-snapdragon-845-835/

I'm not exactly sure what this topic belongs in, but I figured that this was a a good starting point. Anyways it seems that the SD 820 supports this AI neural engine. I don't quiet understand if this is only supported by future 820 chipsets or it's supported by all 820 chipsets but what do you all think about it? Is this something that sounds interesting or just kinda ordinary? I'm of the mindset that the more features you can put into a phone, the better so I would love to see this be implemented on the Axon 7.

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod
    edited February 21, 2018 5:53PM

I would imagine since it would require significant development to add the feature as it would be require then determining which part of the chipset they gonna use to process the AI on and what features would work and what not I would assume its alittle to late in the game for the A7. It also would benefit more from Oreo to assist in the processing through the Androids new Neural network API so such a big development after already updating 2 major Android versions on an almost 2 years old device probably isnt gonna happen.

However if I was a betting man I would imagine we might get some info possibly about what device might have it at MWC in a few days or if not then probably the new Axon

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 5:57PM

@musicdjm said:
    I would imagine since it would require significant development to add the feature as it would be require then determining which part of the chipset they gonna use to process the AI on and what features would work and what not I would assume its alittle to late in the game for the A7. It also would benefit more from Oreo to assist in the processing through the Androids new Neural network API so such a big development after already updating 2 major Android versions on an almost 2 years old device probably isnt gonna happen.

However if I was a betting man I would imagine we might get some info possibly about what device might have it at MWC in a few days or if not then probably the new Axon

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all SD 820 chipsets have a neural engine that's already running in them, this just sounds like an update to that. I could be horribly wrong as well though. Still it seems strange that they would support the 820 considering I don't see many manufacturers using that chipset now, in a new device.

Edit: I do agree that MWC will probably give us more insight on this

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@14blank40 said:

@musicdjm said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all SD 820 chipsets have a neural engine that's already running in them, this just sounds like an update to that. I could be horribly wrong as well though. Still it seems strange that they would support the 820 considering I don't see many manufacturers using that chipset now, in a new device.

Sounds correct to me, and it sounds as if Android Oreo will be able to better take advantage of it. I could be wrong as well though, so who knows lol

@texasmade1 said:

@14blank40 said:

@musicdjm said:

Sounds correct to me, and it sounds as if Android Oreo will be able to better take advantage of it. I could be wrong as well though, so who knows lol

Well I guess we'll have to wait and find out lol

@jimlloyd40 said:
    The article that was posted calls it an AI (artificial intelligence) engine not a neural network. The Android Neural Networks API was first introduced in Oreo. So it's conceivable that a company releasing a phone running Oreo could utilize the AI engine in the SD 820. A situation where it's possible for the Axon 7 which launched with the SD 820 and is being updated to Oreo to utilize the AI engine if ZTE also installs the Android Neural Networks API when the upcoming update takes place. But seriously how likely is that when we couldn't convince ZTE to just add the Camera2 API? Or get Widevine L1 certification.

While there may be complications with Widevine support, I do agree with you about Camera2 API. It has been requested far too much with no real response. My hope is that it comes bundled with the Oreo update, but maybe I'm just an optimistic guy

edited February 23, 2018 1:03PM

@14blank40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    The article that was posted calls it an AI (artificial intelligence) engine not a neural network. The Android Neural Networks API was first introduced in Oreo. So it's conceivable that a company releasing a phone running Oreo could utilize the AI engine in the SD 820. A situation where it's possible for the Axon 7 which launched with the SD 820 and is being updated to Oreo to utilize the AI engine if ZTE also installs the Android Neural Networks API when the upcoming update takes place. But seriously how likely is that when we couldn't convince ZTE to just add the Camera2 API? Or get Widevine L1 certification.

While there may be complications with Widevine support, I do agree with you about Camera2 API. It has been requested far too much with no real response. My hope is that it comes bundled with the Oreo update, but maybe I'm just an optimistic guy

I'm trying my best to be optimistic about the Camera2 API being bundled into the Oreo update, but I'm rather skeptical after @jyee 's official statement regarding the Oreo beta release & ZTE's press release that listed what was included in the Oreo beta. That doesn't mean that Camera2 API won't be included, but you'd think that since most everyone with an Axon7 has expressed their desire to have it added that ZTE would've included it as a part of what the update would bring, unless they want it to be a surprise. That's what I'm hoping for anyway, a nice surprise 😉 After all ZTE can't give away all the secrets

https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-7-android-8-0-oreo-beta-program-837903/

I too believe that #ZTE is moving in a positive direction...