Why didn't ZTE release the Android Oreo beta to everybody for the Axon 7?

smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 22, 2018 2:28AM in Axon

I'm going to refer to the question why didn't the ZTE release the Android Oreo beta to everybody for the axon 7? As this is the final update for the ZTE axon 7 (which we truly don't know ZTE could surprise us with the 8.1 minor bump) why did they not release it to everyone? I feel that everybody should have had a fair shot at trying out the beta and giving their feedback! That would severely help with any bugs in the beta so when the final one is released it could hopefully be near perfect! Now I understand somebody will probably think "but not everybody is going to do a daily update!" well more than what they have signed up for the beta testers will! To me it just makes no sense as to why they would not do this because it is a final update (maybe) and me personally I would have loved to try the beta! I signed up for it and I have no problem giving an hour or more daily of feedback and bugs! So I want to hear your opinions that's why I'm asking the question so why didn't the ZTE release the Android Oreo beta to everybody for the axon 7?

Best Answer

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,600 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

For betas, it depends on the amount of feedback that can efficiently be handled. Most public betas are not true betas, it is in effect a company releasing a product that is not working properly (e.g., when a game does a public beta but the microtransactions are all in place. That are not interested in feedback, they just want to release an unfinished game in the hopes that a few whales with a gambling addiction will dump a few thousand dollars each on the game. And if a game is buggy with no plans to fix it, they can use a beta as an excuse.

This is why you see some steam games that are perpetually in the early access state.

For an actual beta where there is an interest in getting bug reports where staff will actually look at it and not have a bug report system that sends all reports to dev/null, completely open betas tend not to work well, as you end up with a ton of noise.

I have seen some game ones where a user who had a system below the minimum requirement, submitted a bug report every time he or she experienced hitching or stuttering, and since the site had an option to show public feedback, you would see a number of users who submitted over 200 reports each, all minor variations of the same issue.

This is why most betas in general from a wide range of companies do a slow roll out of betas where groups are slowly added.

I am unsure of how ZTE directly handles theirs though.

Answers

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So far the beta hasn't been released to anyone and maybe they will release it to everyone or many who signed up for a large group. In my experience though having too large of a group of testers is often counterproductive and does not guarantee all bugs will be found. More doesn't always equal better. Sometimes there is too much noise and not enough signal when you have a large group.

For example, Samsung recently released their Oreo update to everyone who wanted in for the S8, and guess what? It got released and then quickly pulled because they had to fix something. Even after months of testing and letting anyone who wanted it in on the beta.

In my experience having a smaller group of experienced testers finds more issues and gives more constructive feedback. Having too many inexperienced users asking for random features only 1% of the user base cares for or reporting bugs that aren't really bugs just slows down development. I've seen companies in betas work hard on a feature 2 out of 100 people asked for and completely ignored what 30 of the 100 were screaming for.

I'm glad there are passionate users like us out there though who want to get in on the beta and help to make it the best it can be. We'll just have to wait and hope we get in.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not everybody is qualified to provide assistance to a beta. I don't know of any other OEM that does this either. It would be crazy to try and manage the amount of feedback from users and determine if it's legitimate or not. MAny people would be upset they have software that doesn't work well, as early Betas all chock full of bugs.

In my opinion, releasing to all is a bad idea. Keeping it to a manageable group of seasoned testers is the way to go.

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap that's the issue right there though! "Keeping it manageable to a group of seasoned testers" how are some of us able to become seasoned testers when not givin a chance? I would love the ability to give my feedback on bugs! I don't want any new features just the ones that come with the 8.0 upgrade!

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018 3:02PM

You can become a seasoned tester of beta software by testing any kind of Android software that is a beta build, such as apps or even custom roms. You can gain valuable experience by testing beta apps that are on the Play Store and providing feedback to the respective developers via logs etc.. I gained very valuable experience by rooting many different devices in the past and tested many, many beta builds of roms suchs as CM, AOKP, RR etc, and even Windows Mobile roms back in the day.
    Now if ZTE is ONLY looking for experienced/seasoned testers that have tested for ZTE before, then you more than likely will have to wait until the build is more stable as they will invite more testers as time goes on.
    Being inexperienced at beta testing can end up very bad for a user who doesn't have the know how that is needed when certain things go wrong, which can happen with early betas.

I agree with @jimlloyd40 that you @smh032395 are quite capable, hopefully you get chosen.

@smh032395 said:
    @hollap that's the issue right there though! "Keeping it manageable to a group of seasoned testers" how are some of us able to become seasoned testers when not givin a chance? I would love the ability to give my feedback on bugs! I don't want any new features just the ones that come with the 8.0 upgrade!

You can continue to give your feedback on any software here on the forum. I can guarantee ZTE engineers and R&D see and read these threads. You don't need to be a tester in order to provide feedback about bugs.

Good luck, hopefully they will pick you. But I stand by my claim that for ZTE the best way to do this is to keep it manageable to a certain amount of testers. I've been in tests with 100s of testers and it can be just a jumbled mess trying to give feedback. Just my opinion though.

I agree, from my experience the larger the the group, the more confusion and mess of a situation it can become and usually does become.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:
    Not everybody is qualified to provide assistance to a beta. I don't know of any other OEM that does this either. It would be crazy to try and manage the amount of feedback from users and determine if it's legitimate or not. MAny people would be upset they have software that doesn't work well, as early Betas all chock full of bugs.

In my opinion, releasing to all is a bad idea. Keeping it to a manageable group of seasoned testers is the way to go.

Samsung and OnePlus do. But I agree with you. It's too many people and impossible to manage.

Samsung is limited, albeit on a first come first served basis:

just like it did last year with Android 7.0 Nougat, Samsung is launching a beta program for Galaxy S8 and S8+ owners to get a taste of Android 8.0 Oreo and Samsung Experience 9.0 ahead of its official release. By joining the program, you'll see the early build of the software, offer feedback and hopefully help Samsung release a better overall update when it hits everyone else's phones.

The beta program is only open to owners in the U.S., UK and South Korea at first, and in the U.S. it's only available if you have a T-Mobile, Sprint or U.S. unlocked version of the Galaxy S8 or S8+ (sorry, no Note 8 yet). Just like last year's beta the program has a limited number of slots — Samsung says it's only open to 10,000 participants on a first-come, first-served basis.

• weibsweibs Phone Tinkerer United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

“Too many” “seasoned beta testers” “doesn’t work with mass testers” quotes are purposely loose. Like most of the posts here. On my iPhone I’ve been testing iOS 11 beta ware since last summer. Along with any Tom , **** and Harry who signed up. Apple has consistently pumped out updates almost weekly. The betas have all been daily use for me, as I have only one iPhone. Before everyone throws stones , remember this phone will be evaluated during beta trials same as all devices. I acknowledge iOS 11 wasn’t without some sinkholes but, it’s been one of the best beta programs I’ve experienced. Yes I was in androids 7 & 8. Also CM early on nightlies, miui at the beginning. I prefer android but , only have biased opinions when telling fish stories.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,315 admin

If you release a beta to "everybody" isn't that the same thing as a public release? SMH...

edited February 23, 2018 8:02PM

To be fair, there can be a full public release that is still beta software. That doesn't mean it's good practice to do it, but it's still possible.

• weibsweibs Phone Tinkerer United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

@Aerospaceman you should ask Apple and maybe they’ll have an answer for you. I see beta and then public.............hmmm I guess they look the same.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,315 admin
    edited February 23, 2018 8:42PM

@weibs It is a "limited" public preview and we are not Apple. If you have a problem please DM me directly and we can talk. I see you joined in January and might not be familiar with how we do our public previews. More than happy to educate you on how it works.

@Aerospaceman no bud your wrong! When it's public it informs you of the download and it's safe to do so. When it's in beta it tells you to download at your own risk and provide your feedback (due to bugs, glitches, etc,)! Take fortnight for example (the game on Xbox one) it's still in beta and it's available to the masses and it informs you that the game is in development still and contains bugs. Pubg is still in Alpha and it's available to the masses and contains the same messages! If they can do a beta test to over 40 million people (fortnight) and 30 million people (PubG) I'm sure ZTE can do it for the few hundred thousand that have a 7 in the USA! So I want you to tell me again how they can't! They just don't want to that's what it comes down to!

I know both games are on Xbox but it's not like ZTE is pushing the Oreo update to other axon 7s in the USA! It's one model we all have in our region.

@smh032395 said:
    @Aerospaceman no bud your wrong! When it's public it informs you of the download and it's safe to do so. When it's in beta it tells you to download at your own risk and provide your feedback (due to bugs, glitches, etc,)! Take fortnight for example (the game on Xbox one) it's still in beta and it's available to the masses and it informs you that the game is in development still and contains bugs. Pubg is still in Alpha and it's available to the masses and contains the same messages! If they can do a beta test to over 40 million people (fortnight) and 30 million people (PubG) I'm sure ZTE can do it for the few hundred thousand that have a 7 in the USA! So I want you to tell me again how they can't! They just don't want to that's what it comes down to!

I don't need to tell you anything. If you want to insinuate that you know more about our program than we do then by all means please start your own public preview for Xbox.

@Aerospaceman I actually am enrolled and participate in the preview builds when released.

@razor512 your answer is informative thank you!

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Relax people. Don't get all antsy in your pantsy. They run a good organized beta program, I would take @Aerospaceman up on his offer to explain it to you so you understand how they do things. Don't get upset or defensive about the process.

@jimlloyd40 I understand that bit I've also participated in the Xbox beta builds and am enrolled in the preview program! It's not just games that I am taking about! The games can interfere with the system. Pubg causes Xbox to crash! I'm not saying all the Xbox's but it happens.

I don't want Oreo to be first that's what children want! If I wanted that I'd buy an Oreo phone. I want to experience the bugs and provide feedback and experience everything a broken update has to offer to fully grasp what the testing passes are! I just want to help make the update smoother as a whole along with other testers! Don't assume I want to be first for anything because I don't. I'm 23 I like slow and steady! The guy who wants to be first at everything never enjoys life. I've found the answer to my question and if I've hurt someones feelings I apologize! This is truly a great form thank you for the answers everyone! Please close this thread! P.S I don't know any mods so if someone could send a shout out to one! Thanks!

@smh032395 said:
    I don't want Oreo to be first that's what children want! If I wanted that I'd buy an Oreo phone. I want to experience the bugs and provide feedback and experience everything a broken update has to offer to fully grasp what the testing passes are! I just want to help make the update smoother as a whole along with other testers! Don't assume I want to be first for anything because I don't. I'm 23 I like slow and steady! The guy who wants to be first at everything never enjoys life. I've found the answer to my question and if I've hurt someones feelings I apologize! This is truly a great form thank you for the answers everyone! Please close this thread! P.S I don't know any mods so if someone could send a shout out to one! Thanks!

To me it just sounds like you want to be picked and will be upset if your not. It's a closed beta at this point. Accept that and move on already.