A7 Mini powers itself on??????

birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 118 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife's A7 Mini started making a chiming sound at 10:00 PM. She was already asleep so I looked at the phone and couldn't see why it was chiming. It did have several apps running so I ended them. Then I powered it off and forgot about it.

About 5 min. later I heard the same chiming sound. When I looked at the phone it had no apps running so I thought maybe I just missed the Power Off click. So I made sure this time the phone really was powered off.

5 min later the same thing happened again. This time I noticed a small clock symbol on the top line, so I went through the apps and saw that the Clock app had the same symbol. Upon opening it I saw it had an alarm set for 10:00 PM, so I turned that off and powered the phone off a 3rd time.

It hasn't started chiming since then. :)

Apparently it is possible for the phone to turn itself on, even when it is off. Is this something only I don't know about? Should I be glad phones can't walk and manipulate things? Should we all be very, very afraid?

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure you got scared and thinking there maybe a ghost somewhere:).

Some phone has such feature where even when it is completely off, it will still wake itself on from the scheduled alarm. It is a nice feature to have. Axon has a feature where you can schedule a specific time to wake the device on (or even off) and I am sure that is why the device is able to wake itself up at the alarm you set. It's a nice feature in my opinion.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

^ Yes, as Samsamha mentioned above, the alarm feature will wake the device when it's time for the alarm to sound. To avoid this, make sure no alarms are set to go off if you want to power off the device and don't want the alarm to wake it up.

This is a good feature to have if you are in a situation where you can't charge your device, but you still need the alarm. You can power off the device to save the battery, but can still rely on the alarm sounding when you need it to.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Besides what others have pointed out above...I have seen phones that if they are plugged into the charger...they just auto turn back on.

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 118 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I get it. Thanks. But I'm still a little concerned about what else might be going on when my phone is "off". For instance, is Google still tracking it's location? Are cellphone towers still aware of it's location? Is the microphone listening to (and perhaps recording or broadcasting) what it hears? Can hackers send it malware which get's activated when the phone is powered on?

I reckon "No" is the answer to all these (and similar) questions, but I would suggest that all phone manufacturers clearly state what "Power off" means, and what the phone is capable of doing while in the powered off state.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@birkbinnard said:
    OK, I get it. Thanks. But I'm still a little concerned about what else might be going on when my phone is "off". For instance, is Google still tracking it's location? Are cellphone towers still aware of it's location? Is the microphone listening to (and perhaps recording or broadcasting) what it hears? Can hackers send it malware which get's activated when the phone is powered on?

I reckon "No" is the answer to all these (and similar) questions, but I would suggest that all phone manufacturers clearly state what "Power off" means, and what the phone is capable of doing while in the powered off state.

I'm guessing the answer is no to all of these, but if I was happening from certain OEMs I would not be the least bit surprised.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@birkbinnard said:

You're correct @birkbinnard the answer to all of those questions is no.

And in Android P Google is putting in protection whereas an app that is not in use will not be allowed to access the microphone, camera etc even when the phone is on.

LOL, unfortunately Google is one of my concerns :D

• MSTKMSTK USAPosts: 60 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a phone that could do this previously with the alarm clock.