Face unlock feature on axon 7

nareshcn7nareshcn7 Posts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we expect ZTE to include face unlock support for axon 7 through oreo update?

Comments

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is available now.
    Go to settings > Security > Smart Lock > Trusted face.

Android 8 should have have it since it is a native feature of android 7.

• nareshcn7nareshcn7 Posts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭

@razor512 said:
    That is available now.
    Go to settings > Security > Smart Lock > Trusted face.

Android 8 should have have it since it is a native feature of android 7.

It's there but I have tried it for sometime. It's hit or miss type.

• nareshcn7nareshcn7 Posts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm interested to see, if ZTE can integrate the seamless face unlock feature like how the OP did it for OP 3 and 3T

edited February 24, 2018 1:24PM

For the axon 7, the face unlock relies on just the image data along since the device does not have a depth sensing IR camera (which requires a dot projector like on the iphone X).

Accuracy can be improved by performing additional training in different lighting conditions. For the axon 7, I recommend doing it in at least 2 different lighting conditions.

The face unlock only remains valid for 4 hours, if you go more than 4 hours without using it, it will require you to use another unlocking method at least once before it allows more uses.

Keep in mind that face unlock is less secure compared to fingerprint unlock and password unlock. Which is why the device may refuse to unlock after a few hours of being inactive. Standard face unlock can be beaten by a high quality full color matte or luster (paper type) printout of someone's face with the paper bent to match the curvature of the face.

IR dot based systems are able to avoid issues like that by measuring the depth of prominent facial features (eyes, nose, and mouth), thus in order for someone to beat that, they would need to effectively sculpt something close to the shape of the person eyes, nose, and mouth in order to fool the depth camera.

Even with android 8, unless google adds some additional processing to the image to look for signs of an image being printed, it will not behave much better than on android 7 in this respect.

Overall the face unlock is a convenience feature and not really designed for security.

Many iris scanners can work through sun glasses because most sun glasses do a poor job at blocking IR light. Ideally you would want sun glasses to block as much non-visible light as possible since your iris will open wider when you have sunglasses on, thus if it blocks more visible light than IR light, then it is not very good for your eyes.

The iris scanner can be beaten pretty easily though.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:
    I don't get the "Face unlock" craze. I'd much rather ZTE add an Iris scanner than face unlock. The Iris scanner on my old s8+ was the best thing since sliced bread. It even worked through my dark sunglasses. You could even use it to log into sites in Samsung Internet Browser and use it for other stuff too. I'd much rather have Iris scanning than face unlock. Samsung sold me on it.

Laughing that you're referring to an S8+ as being "old"