Remove Custom ROM - Axon ZTE A2017U

EyePeaSeaEyePeaSea London, EnglandPosts: 39 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've inherited an Axon ZTE and want to use it for a while to see if I want to move away from my iPhone. I did a factory reset and I've started to install my various apps. When I tried to run Google Pay, it won't install as my phone is either Rooted or running a custom ROM. I downloaded an app called 'Root Checker' and it says the phone is not rooted and so I assume the phone has a custom ROM (in fact, I'm sure this is the issue as the previous owner was a member of this forum and liked creating custom ROMs).

So - is there a way to go back to the vanila / manufacturer ROM?

I've had Android phones before, but not for about 6 years - so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• EyePeaSeaEyePeaSea London, EnglandPosts: 39 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jim,
    It has a "AICP custom ROM" logo. Android version 7.1.2 and 'AICP version 12.1-Nightly'. Is that what you meant?

Thanks

Ian

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well that certainly is a custom ROM. I'm no ROM or modding expert, so I'll leave it to the professionals to assist. There are a few good people in here that know modding and can help you @EyePeaSea

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice. Getting it back to stock is key for some important apps and although I've only been playing with it for a few hours, I'm really impressed with the hardware and the latest Android. I'll check out the two accounts you've suggested.

Thanks again

Ian

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 2:26PM

Hi @EyePeaSea ,

Do this for me please, just Reboot to recovery, IF TWRP is present. I'll guide you to get back to A2017U_B35 which is the latest update from ZTE to our A7.

And to accelerate the process while checking for TWRP, download both zip from this link.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=238768

Once download is complete, move/copy to your SDCARD.

P.S. do a full backup of your internal storage, because going back will wipe all your internal storage, but sdcard will be safe.

Hi @DrakenFX
    TWRP was installed (I remember seeing that logo) but I think I trashed it when I did a factory reset. However, I can install TWRP (found a link/instructions on the XDA developers site) - so I'll get that done and then post back on here. Really appreciate your offer to help.
    Thanks

Ian

@EyePeaSea
    Factory reset won't wipe TWRP recovery so still have it.

Download the 2 zips from link above and I'll guide with the rest of the steps.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @EyePeaSea you said that you inherited the phone which means that you must know the person it came from. If you don't want to go through the process to revert to stock maybe that person would be willing to do it.

I'm afraid I can't do that :-( It was from my Dad, who died just before Christmas.

@EyePeaSea said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @EyePeaSea you said that you inherited the phone which means that you must know the person it came from. If you don't want to go through the process to revert to stock maybe that person would be willing to do it.

I'm afraid I can't do that :-( It was from my Dad, who died just before Christmas.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Your dad loaded a custom ROM onto his device? That's pretty technical.

edited February 26, 2018 2:55PM

@EyePeaSea
    Sorry for your lost,

No worry steps are easy to follow, and I'll be here for .every step.

Thanks for the comments. He was in his 80's and spent all his free time modding his phones and tablet. I'm the one who works in IT, but his knowledge on Android was much better than mine. A lot of his knowledge came from this forum and from reading what you guys talked about.

Anyway - I think I've just made a mess of the phone - let me recover it so that I can log back in, then I'll download those files. I'll then post a message back on this thread (today or tomorrow) and then if you can help me I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks again for the very friendly welcome to your forum!

Ian

@EyePeaSea ,
    That's sounds like a plan 👍,

@EyePeaSea said:
    Thanks for the comments. He was in his 80's and spent all his free time modding his phones and tablet. I'm the one who works in IT, but his knowledge on Android was much better than mine. A lot of his knowledge came from this forum and from reading what you guys talked about.

Anyway - I think I've just made a mess of the phone - let me recover it so that I can log back in, then I'll download those files. I'll then post a message back on this thread (today or tomorrow) and then if you can help me I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks again for the very friendly welcome to your forum!

Ian

I also see you are from London. What model phone do you have? It should say on the back, Either A2017, A2017U, or A2017G.

@hollap It's the A2017U - I just messed it up by going to recovery and reloading an old backup image (so I was back to not having access!). Just need to sort that then I'll be back here. Thanks.

@EyePeaSea said:
    @hollap It's the A2017U - I just messed it up by going to recovery and reloading an old backup image (so I was back to not having access!). Just need to sort that then I'll be back here. Thanks.

Just wanted to make sure since I saw you were outside of the US :)

I'm gettiing a not found with that link?

Also, I'm stupid (sorry) - TWRP = Team Win REcovery Project. Doh. So yes, I do have that installed :-) I've had an awful day so far (that's my excuse for being an idiot). Thanks for bearing with me!

@EyePeaSea
    Copy and paste the address on a new tab,

You don't need to restore or fix the restore part, my 2 zip will take care of that issue and get you back on track.

@DrakenFX That's great - thank you. Just download the files. First one done, just the larger file to get. I guess I copy them onto the SD Card into a new folder (or one in each folder)

@EyePeaSea
    Root of the sdcard is fine, no need to create a folder , unless you want to keep them organized (which I have all my custom Axon 7 files on a ""A2017U_Files" folder , but is up to you.

@DrakenFX Right! Took ages to download. Now on the SD Card and the card is back in the phone.

@DrakenFX I guess I use TWRP to first install the boot stack and then the stock ROM?

Ok - I jumped the gun there. Obviously there's more to it than that :-) I'll wait to hear from you :-)

edited February 26, 2018 6:06PM

@EyePeaSea
    Do this...

• Tap Mount
    • Make sure Mount system as read-only is check (if you don't check that you'll end up. Soft brick)
    • Go back to main menu.
    • Tap Wipe > advance wipe > check : dalvik / data / cache / internal storage and slide to wipe
    • go back to main menu.
    • Tap Install
    • look for B35 Bootstack
    • after B35 Bootstack tap "add more zip" and look for B35 system.
    • Slide to install

Just Wait for 15 minutes or so and then Tap restart system,

You'll be going back to stock and stock recovery will be auto restore without doing anything else.

edited February 26, 2018 6:42PM

@DrakenFX Good evening :-) Great. Installing now. I'll give you an update just to confirm that it's all ok. Again - thanks for your time and effort. Funnily enough, I found those ROMs already on the SDCard (or maybe older versions) - but they were from you as I could see your name when I tried installing them as well - so, you've also helped my dad out before and for that, more thanks and kudos to you.

Ian

@DrakenFX Looking good. It paused for ages on the 'will boot in 5 seconds' screen - but now gone into the new phone setup. Thanks!

Ok - all back to the standard ROM. I think the only issue for Google Pay is that the Boot Load is unlocked. I'll google to see what options I have. I saw this post from @akwid044 (https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/50939/how-to-lock-bootloader) - I'll try that one first (after disabling AV)

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 7:22PM

@EyePeaSea Congratulations on getting it back to stock firmware, good luck in the future. I remember when you were trying to figure out your Dad's screen lock code around the first of the year, glad you were able to keep those memories. 🙏🏻 My families continued condolences & may healing find you in the right time..