Battery Life on my Axon 7 - is about 1.5yr old. Is lasting maybe half or less then what it did.

testrattestrat Posts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this normal? That the battery is half or less now that the Axon 7 is around 1.5 years old now? And does anyone else have this problem? If i send it in to be fixed, guess on now much it costs?

Best Answers

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@testrat said:
    Meaning I need to send in for warranty replacement? Guessing who to contact is in the documents that came with this cell...?

@testrat either use the online chat or call 800-617-5065. Don't email. Keep the screenshot to show them that your battery only has approximately 25 % of the original capacity.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018 2:42AM Accepted Answer

@testrat said:
    Screenshot of the accubattery after 1 charge cycle starting from 15% charge to 100%.
    .. Shows I have 786mha total now..

You definitely need to call the number @jimlloyd40 posted above or use online chat and get the RMA process started, cause it's only getting worse as you're well aware of. Good luck getting it taken care of, glad that the AccuBattery app at least helped you some.

• testrattestrat Posts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@jimlloyd40 said:

@testrat said:
    No, hasn't burned in an image. Couple thoughts on this.. 1. Isn't a CRT screen. 2. Whatever these screens are -led? Based?, I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I also have the brightness turned way way down too. Perhaps my thinking is wrong. But, that is my thoughts.

@testrat the screen on the Axon 7 is Amoled. That's the type of screen that's most prone to burn in. I guess that in keeping it very dim you're avoiding the problem.

Hum.. Had no idea.. So now we all know. I seem to learn many things around here. And I have no idea what Amoled screen is exactly. Didn't consider it important. Just as long as it works. And performs well.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@testrat said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@testrat said:
    No, hasn't burned in an image. Couple thoughts on this.. 1. Isn't a CRT screen. 2. Whatever these screens are -led? Based?, I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I also have the brightness turned way way down too. Perhaps my thinking is wrong. But, that is my thoughts.

@testrat the screen on the Axon 7 is Amoled. That's the type of screen that's most prone to burn in. I guess that in keeping it very dim you're avoiding the problem.

Hum.. Had no idea.. So now we all know. I seem to learn many things around here. And I have no idea what Amoled screen is exactly. Didn't consider it important. Just as long as it works. And performs well.

Amoled stands for "active matrix light emitting diode". It doesn't have a backlight like an LCD screen instead lighting up the individual pixels. It's faster responding than LCD and has true black color because it just doesn't light up the pixels if they're supposed to be black like LCD does. It also produces more saturated colors which people seem to prefer. Most of the top phones use Amoled.

Answers

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@testrat said:
    Is this normal? That the battery is half or less now that the Axon 7 is around 1.5 years old now? And does anyone else have this problem? If i send it in to be fixed, guess on now much it costs?

Have you tried doing a reset to default settings to see if it helps?

Another trick some have tried, to reset the battery system, is let it drain down until it powers off, then boot it to recovery and let it sit there until totally drained. Then plug it in using the OEM charger and cable and let it charge to 100% then use it as you normally would.

Hope this helps.
    :)

Recovery mode.. Explain please. Didnt see off hand in the OM. Thanks..

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 3:03PM

For the battery recalibration, the process is simply using the phone until it shuts off on its own, then doing the following:

1: Press the power button + volume up and keep holding it until the recovery menu appears
    2: Once the recovery menu appears, leave it there until the device turns off on its own again. That will drain the battery to its true 0% mark.
    3: Without booting the device into android, connect the charger, and let the device charge fully.
    4: then boot into android and let it charge for a little while longer.

If the battery meter is inaccurate and is being recalibrated, it can sometimes charge for 30+ minutes after appearing to be at 100%.

Sometimes if battery life is extremely bad, it is recommended that you look at which apps are causing the drain, and if no 3rd party app is clearly listed as being responsible, then it can become very complex and time consuming to track it down, as it becomes a trial and error process spanning weeks in some cases.

Since android has a very robust set of APIs and other system functions that apps can call, it is possible for a misbehaving app to spend a few nanoseconds issuing a command that causes a system or kernel service to spend multiple seconds performing work, thus causing issues such as core android components being seen as being a high drain. Those issues can be very difficult to track down, and in some cases, you can have a mixture of misbehaving apps.

While it is annoying in terms of requiring a multiple minutes of work in one go, doing something like backing up your data, and then doing a factory reset, and not restoring the android backup (which can sometimes restore corrupt app data which lead to the problem to begin with), can fix battery life issues.

Even for me with the same exact set of apps, installed as before and with the same settings, I have been able to get an extra 1+ hours of screen on time after a simple factory reset.

Anyway the first step to solving the battery issue, is to check the power menu.

To do that, swipe down on the notification shade, and then do the following:

1: Click on the battery icon.
    2: Expand both hardware and app usage.
    3: Look for any apps or components that are using an excessive amount of power and see if anything can be changed to fix it (sometimes the app may have options to disable things like push notifications for it).

4: Also click on "Battery usage" and look at the graph, and if you are seeing a large number of wake up events, then that may be the cause of much of your battery issues.

One other troubleshooting step that can be done is clearing the app cache and cache partition, though it often has a low success rate for issues involving rapid battery drain.

If you choose to do a factory reset, the process is as follows. (make sure you back up all important data first as this will erase everything).

1: Open your android settings.
    2: Click on "Advanced settings"
    3: Click on "Backup & reset"
    4: Click on "Factory data reset" and follow the prompts on the screen.

This is more of a last resort process, but often compared to trying to find the 1 misbehaving apps when it is not clear which is causing the problem, can take far longer.

Did battery recal yesterday. Phone charged all night. Soon as i removed from the charger, it immediately drops to 99%. Used to remain at 100% for a while when -newer-. But maybe this is to be expected. Phone has been OFF the charger now for roughly 35 minutes and is 79% now. 20 of those minutes was screen off.
    .. So.. guess I am off hunting for something drawing lots of power now?

The issue is most likely some misbehaving process running in the background.

The dropping to 99% after being on the charger all night is normal and due to how it sets the 100% point and due to there being no way to trickle charge a li-ion battery.

Attached is screenshot of battery usage... Notice the wakeup line? Am guessing that shouldnt be solid like that?
    Previous screen, app usage was all 1%.... Thoughts please?

edited February 28, 2018 12:59PM

Some app is waking the device very frequently while the screen is off.

Try fully charging the battery again and then disconnecting it from the charger and then let it idle for 1-2 hours (screen off), then check the battery use again (especially the app and hardware usage.

Since that battery usage status is relative to the total amount of power used since the last charge, thus if the device is actively used, then things like the screen can skew the data.

Keep in mind that even then data can be heavily skewed if the misbehaving app is misbehaving in a way that causes a more power hungry service or component that is individually monitored, to do work.

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 161 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good discussion. Though im not having battery issues now, this information will definitely be needed when/if I do. Thanks everyone for documenting the steps.

@wrbird said:
    Good discussion. Though im not having battery issues now, this information will definitely be needed when/if I do. Thanks everyone for documenting the steps.

"documenting the steps" 👍 to @razor512

edited February 28, 2018 6:42PM

My 1 1/2 year old Axon 7 doesn't stay at 100% as long as it used to either but mine shows to have anywhere from 81%-84% of it's regular capacity left, at least that's what AccuBattery showed. I get around 5 to 5 1/2 hours SOT and around 16 - 18 hrs total before needing to plug in. Also I'm a very heavy multimedia user and seem to always go over 35 GB's per month :#

@razor512 will definitely help you get it sorted out. It looks as if your signal isn't very good at all, I know this will cause battery drain but not to the extreme you're seeing.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@razor512 said:

The dropping to 99% after being on the charger all night is normal and due to how it sets the 100% point and due to there being no way to trickle charge a li-ion battery.

I don't doubt what you're saying but I will say that I charge my phone overnight with it turned off and when I turn it on in the morning it stays on 100 % for a few hours if I'm not using it much.

@jimlloyd40 So you power down your phone every night? Is there a benefit to that? Charging benefit? I know phones, like computers need to be reboot every once in a while, is that why you do it? Just curious, maybe I can learn something here. I've already learned quite a bit from this thread ☺️

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wrbird said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@razor512 said:

I don't doubt what you're saying but I will say that I charge my phone overnight with it turned off and when I turn it on in the morning it stays on 100 % for a few hours if I'm not using it much.

@jimlloyd40 So you power down your phone every night? Is there a benefit to that? Charging benefit? I know phones, like computers need to be reboot every once in a while, is that why you do it? Just curious, maybe I can learn something here. I've already learned quite a bit from this thread ☺️

@wrbird I turn it off every night because I don't want to be bothered. But rebooting a phone has the same benefits as rebooting a PC. I also use an old slow charger that's 8 years old. Charging smartphone batteries slowly does help extend the life of the battery. Not so much the amount of screen on time that I get between charges but the life of the battery with regards to the number of charge and discharge cycles the battery is capable of. I've read this in numerous articles. I'm somewhat of a battery life saving fanatic. I go to extremes when setting up a phone for maximum battery life. I literally go through every apps permissions and notifications and turn off things that I know affect the battery as long as the permissions and notifications that I turn off don't interfere with what I want from my phone. And of course judicious usage of turning off wifi and bluetooth etc if I'm not using them. I also go through every app's settings and turn off the functions that I don't need. I used to drive myself crazy but I'm so used to setting up a phone like this that it's become second nature.

Thanks @jimlloyd40 for the insight, I appreciate it.

• jazzijazzi Posts: 153 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2018 9:07PM

To answer the original question, after a year and a half, a battery's capacity should not be half of what it was when brand new. That figure should still hover around the 80%+ to 90%+ mark. Razor512 has provided plenty of sharp (:wink:) insights to possible causes along with sound possible remedial action. Jimlloyd40 has likewise listed some top recommendations.

If your battery's life remains poor after following the advice given, it could be a case of premature failure. At 1.5 years, your 2-year warranty is still active so if you wish, you may return it to have it repaired.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@testrat said:

The type of battery used in phones lasts for about 300-500 full charge cycles with a limit of 5-10 years regardless of use. Heavy users who have a low battery at the end of each day are going to start seeing reduced capacity about now. I have two Axon 7 phones (stupid me thought one would be good for ROM development) and the seldom used one has a noticeably stronger battery at this point.

You might have read that never charging the phone battery above 70% prolongs its life. That's true, but a better solution would be a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. They hold less than LiPo but are good for 6000 to 10000 full charge cycles. No phone maker wants their phone to survive that long.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I long for the days of replaceable batteries.

@kevinmcmurtrie "You might have read that never charging the phone battery above 70% prolongs its life." No I never read that. I wonder how valid that is?

@stevec5375 said:
    I long for the days of replaceable batteries.

I'm with you on that one. I remember saying I'd never buy I phone without a replaceable battery or SD card. Well, so far I've been able to stick with the SD card, but I lost out on the replaceable battery :/

edited March 2, 2018 12:40PM

I've read and tried the 40%-80% but got tired of plugging in through the day as I'm a very heavy user. So now when it gets to 20% I just charge back up to 90%..

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/how-properly-charge-phone-battery-3619623/?amp

Link below has some good knowledge
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

I've read so many conflicting "studies" on proper charging and discharging I finally don't worry about it and use my phone throughout the day and charge it when I go to bed and unplug it when I leave for work. I would be interested in reading any studies that any of you have come across that sounded like a definitive answer to this issue.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't worry about charging and not charging. Charge cycles is what matters on a Li-Io battery not months or years. After 12-18 months I expect some degradation, after 18 months all bets are off. And I've had a few that after a certain amount of time have pretty much just stopped being useful. The degradation period can be fast or slow in my experience.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't you just love planned obsolescence? With replaceable batteries not so much.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well there are several cell phone repair shops in my area that will replace a battery for $50. So if I still have my bipolar A7 after the warranty runs out I'll take it there when the battery dies. Cheaper than a new phone.

@ram1220 said:
    Well there are several cell phone repair shops in my area that will replace a battery for $50. So if I still have my bipolar A7 after the warranty runs out I'll take it there when the battery dies. Cheaper than a new phone.

"Bipolar A7," that's a good one :D I'm glad mine's in the manic state 95% of the time.

I was using Messenger to chat last night.. was using it for about 1.5 hours.. Started with the cell fresh off the charger at 100%.. in the 1.5 hour, phone had dropped to below 20%.
    . If.. i were to do a factory reset, wipe the phone... then reinstall some basics, is that worth my time?
    Also read somewhere that this code: ##7780## will do that.... (factory reset)
    OR... a total wipe: 27673855# clears everything, and re-installs the the firmware..? Any reason i might want to do that? or, is that not safe to do?
    ... or just tome to get the batteries replaced? DOP was Sept of 2016.. so, is there a problem with sending it in for warranty replacement of the batteries? Or, is it not bad enough for that?
    The codes - i dont know of enter at the -Recovery Screen/Menu- or enter like dialing a phone number? The latter i think, but i guess if dont do anything, then try the Recovery Screen..

Thoughts? Especially if i am able to get warranty to replace the batteries?
    If i do send it in, (w/o sim and memory cards), will it be reset then too? And is there info in my documents that came with the phone on where to call to inquire on this?
    Thanks guys for all the comments..

Oh.. I am now mostly leaving the phone on the charger as much as i can all day now too.. And recharging when i have had it off the charger several times thru the day.. It will drop to below 50% in 2~3 hours with good part of that screen on..