Battery Life on my Axon 7 - is about 1.5yr old. Is lasting maybe half or less then what it did.

Answers

• testrattestrat Posts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 Oops.. I mis-typed.. as stated above - second line... 20% ... Sorry...
    I need to recheck.. but i think with screen off.. not on the charger, it will drop to 50% in not much time.. 3 hours or so. From full. I am lucky I can get 4 hours use before I cant use it. I will recheck that this afternoon and confirm that, as, i have gotten so i just leave it on the charger about all the time now.

Here are 2 screenshots. First, very little screen on time. . Second, some screen on time, while I was on chat a few minutes. And already, my time on here, replying to this post, it has dropped several points.. is 58% now, and is dropping. .. 57% now. I need to attach the 2 screen shots, and turn on wireless. And is now 54% by this time now.
    I guess, I will try the factory reset this evening, and see.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@testrat said:
    Here are 2 screenshots. First, very little screen on time. . Second, some screen on time, while I was on chat a few minutes. And already, my time on here, replying to this post, it has dropped several points.. is 58% now, and is dropping. .. 57% now. I need to attach the 2 screen shots, and turn on wireless. And is now 54% by this time now.
    I guess, I will try the factory reset this evening, and see.

I would definitely try the factory reset. I have a feeling it's going to make your issues a lot better.
    At the same time, if you were thinking of sending it in for repair, ZTE would have you go through some troubleshooting techniques first, and one of them would likely be to reset the device to see if that fixes
    it before sending it in anyway.
    Good luck and be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

I thank all of you for hanging in here with me on this. And trying to assist me..

Attached screenshot from few minutes ago.
    .. I did a reset last nighIt. And ya, I reinstalled most of the programs from the backup.
    At the time of the screenshot, I had that 40%, but, before I could get here, less then 5minutes, battery fell to zero and phone died. When plugged in to charge, it was at 40% in just a few seconds. No gradual buildup of the charge. It seems to be getting that once it gets much under 40%, then there is nothing there, an falls to zero if any sort of work or load is on it.
    ... I had been talking on chat on and off. Screen was left on. Was going thru emails.. During that screenshot time.
    It used to never drop that severely when used like that.
    I do love this phone though. Just wish the battery was doing better.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2018 12:54PM

Download AccuBattery from the Play Store and let it run through a few full charge cycles and then see what it shows on the battery health tab/the heart. It will give you an estimated % of the battery that's left, for instance 80% of original battery life. For example, mine shows 81% of the original 3140 mAh battery.

Link to AccuBattery on the Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery

37% now... Did a reset, been manually installing a few programs. Screen has been on a lot of the time. Still draining way faster then it used to.. This amount of use used to drop it maybe around 30%. 35% now.. I think I will post this.. And let drain till does maybe..

Screenshot of the accubattery after 1 charge cycle starting from 15% charge to 100%.
    .. Shows I have 786mha total now..

Meaning I need to send in for warranty replacement? Guessing who to contact is in the documents that came with this cell...?

Thanks guys... Am trying to get the email now from ZTE to return. They have sent 2 times so far, and isn't showing up yet.. 4 hours since first try.. 30 minutes roughly since second re-send. And isn't in the spam. But, one way or another, I will be sending it in. All of you have been big help, thanks for hanging in there with me.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@testrat said:
    I was using Messenger to chat last night.. was using it for about 1.5 hours.. Started with the cell fresh off the charger at 100%.. in the 1.5 hour, phone had dropped to below 20%.
    . If.. i were to do a factory reset, wipe the phone... then reinstall some basics, is that worth my time?
    Also read somewhere that this code: ##7780## will do that.... (factory reset)
    OR... a total wipe: 27673855# clears everything, and re-installs the the firmware..? Any reason i might want to do that? or, is that not safe to do?
    ... or just tome to get the batteries replaced? DOP was Sept of 2016.. so, is there a problem with sending it in for warranty replacement of the batteries? Or, is it not bad enough for that?
    The codes - i dont know of enter at the -Recovery Screen/Menu- or enter like dialing a phone number? The latter i think, but i guess if dont do anything, then try the Recovery Screen..

Thoughts? Especially if i am able to get warranty to replace the batteries?
    If i do send it in, (w/o sim and memory cards), will it be reset then too? And is there info in my documents that came with the phone on where to call to inquire on this?
    Thanks guys for all the comments..

@testrat why would you mess around with codes instead of just factory resetting your phone from the settings? It sounds more like you should just go back through the main settings and app settings and make choices that consume less battery. You said that after 2-3 hours of mostly screen on time you're at 50 %. That translates to around 5 to 5 1/2 hours of screen on time which isn't bad at all. ZTE certainly won't replace the battery under warranty with that much screen on time.

I agree, 2-3 hours of SoT to 50% is what I would expect at this point.

Accubattery was showing my full charge to be in the 700 ~ 900 mah range. Battery wasnt taking on anything more. And sometimes, when the charge was showing around 40%, and i did something that caused the phone to work, it was getting so it would just shut off. When plug into the charger, it would start off showing charge was around 40~50%. But, it has just died from low battery.
    Yes, i did the battery recal a couple times. nothing changed.
    Yes, i did do the factory reset several times - using the menu selections. The codes i listed in previous, was more just curious about them.
    Anyway... phone is all packaged up, ready to ship when i am out for lunch today.
    .. Thanks all for the help. It meant a lot to me..

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@testrat said:
    I was using Messenger to chat last night.. was using it for about 1.5 hours.. Started with the cell fresh off the charger at 100%.. in the 1.5 hour, phone had dropped to below 20%.
    . If.. i were to do a factory reset, wipe the phone... then reinstall some basics, is that worth my time?
    Also read somewhere that this code: ##7780## will do that.... (factory reset)
    OR... a total wipe: 27673855# clears everything, and re-installs the the firmware..? Any reason i might want to do that? or, is that not safe to do?
    ... or just tome to get the batteries replaced? DOP was Sept of 2016.. so, is there a problem with sending it in for warranty replacement of the batteries? Or, is it not bad enough for that?
    The codes - i dont know of enter at the -Recovery Screen/Menu- or enter like dialing a phone number? The latter i think, but i guess if dont do anything, then try the Recovery Screen..

Thoughts? Especially if i am able to get warranty to replace the batteries?
    If i do send it in, (w/o sim and memory cards), will it be reset then too? And is there info in my documents that came with the phone on where to call to inquire on this?
    Thanks guys for all the comments..

@testrat why would you mess around with codes instead of just factory resetting your phone from the settings? It sounds more like you should just go back through the main settings and app settings and make choices that consume less battery. You said that after 2-3 hours of mostly screen on time you're at 50 %. That translates to around 5 to 5 1/2 hours of screen on time which isn't bad at all. ZTE certainly won't replace the battery under warranty with that much screen on time.

I agree, 2-3 hours of SoT to 50% is what I would expect at this point.

@hollap the 50 % was a typo. @testrat corrected it to 20 %.

Ahhh. Thanks Jim!

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 161 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@testrat After you get your phone back you can report your experience here: https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/12143/axon-7-customer-service-review

Best of luck to you. I had good results with my warranty repair.

• theshriketheshrike CaliforniaPosts: 37 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had my Axon 7 for eight months now. I had a battery issue a few weeks ago. The battery was low, about 15% but I was not near a charger. I was trying to user the phone and suddenly it just shut off. It had never done that before and I didn't know what was wrong. I tried turning it back on again, but it shut down again before finishing the start up. Later, as soon as I plugged it in, it was able to start up and it said the battery was like 15%.

A few days later, I decided to see if it would do it again. This time it didn't shut off until it got down to about 8% and as soon as I put it on the charger I was able to start it again.

I read about reconditioning the battery on here or whatever you call it when you make sure you let the battery go down to zero then give the phone a full charge while it's of so I tried that. I let it go dead, plugged it in but left it off until it said it was fully charged. I then turned it on and it said the battery was somewhere around 78%. I turned it off charged it again until it was up to 100%. Then turned it back on and it was very close to 100%. Is this the right way to do this process?

I also downloaded Accu battery which seems like a great program. I set it to remind me when the battery gets to 90% charged to extend my battery life. After running accubattery for about 2 weeks it says my battery health is 69 or 70%. So I can charge it according to Accu battery to about 2250 mAh out of the 3250 I think it is that the battery had when it was new eight months ago.

Is this normal battery wear? Most of the time in the past I put my phone on the charger and let it charge to 100% at night while I was sleeping. Also do you think I should do the battery reconditioning process again?

Phone had shipped back to me today.. So, this time... I suspect i need to change my charging habits?
    What i have been doing... is puting on charge when i get home evenings. I generally set it to have screen on all the time, and just poke the power button to shut it off when i want. So, at night, i leave on charger all night, with the screen on, so that i can see the clock thru the night when i want. Guessing, I shouldnt do that? And yes, i COULD charge it to 100% (or maybe just the 80% that accubattery suggests) and unplug, and put it into sleep mode. This would mean it wont be at full or 80% in the morning. 40~50% maybe? Too bad the accubattery program cant control the charging for you, where it would shut off the charge cycle at a given %, then turn on the chargeing when drops - say 5% and float there? Thoughts? Suggestions?

No, hasn't burned in an image. Couple thoughts on this.. 1. Isn't a CRT screen. 2. Whatever these screens are -led? Based?, I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I also have the brightness turned way way down too. Perhaps my thinking is wrong. But, that is my thoughts.