Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
[POLL]Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming!
[POLL]How Do You Search Within Text?

[POLL] What’s the minimum price point would you expect NFC on a smartphone?

ZTE ResearchZTE Research Posts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2018 12:14PM in Consumer Lab

Drop a comment about how essential NFC is to you.

[POLL] What’s the minimum price point would you expect NFC on a smartphone? 67 votes

$100 - $125
20% 14 votes
$125 - $150
11% 8 votes
$150 - $175
16% 11 votes
$175 - $200
8% 6 votes
$200 - $225
23% 16 votes
$225 - $250
2% 2 votes
$250 and above
14% 10 votes

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MAPosts: 3,104 mod

I use nfc alot for android beam, although for a lower end device it may not be something I would expect its something that once you hit the $175 price range there isnt really much an excuse for not including it.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

While I don't use NFC that often, it is nonetheless useful to have it there when I need it. NFC is not just for mobile payment but also can be used for pairing and peer to peer data transfer, so it is a nice feature to have I think for phone that is about 200 to 250 or above.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Android Pay...euh Google Pay, NFC is a must have.

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams United StatesPosts: 422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

NFC should be on all phones at this point, because mobile payments are important to a lot of people now. I feel like if we have the ability to do mobile payments, but the basics in each device. No reason NFC is NOT in all of our phones and devices. My Samsung watch and Apple watch can do payments. Why not my phone?

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would expect it these days when above a 150 or so price point. It really is useful for certain things, and mobile payments are getting more popular too.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, TexasPosts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

To me most phones in the $200 price range has NFC. That is what I would expect to pay.....but it also depends on the rest of the specs of the device!!

If a device has a 450 processor and NFC....then I would only pay about $125 minimum

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,085 mod

I use NFC all of the time for mobile payments, not much ast all for anything else and do LOVE it when cashing out at a store! I expect a device that costs about $200 or more should have NFC.

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only time I have used NFC has been for transferring data when switching phones. But not all of my phones have had it so that has only been once or twice.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's 2018. It needs to be on every device. Mobile payments will continue to get more and more prevalent.

• schwartzasherschwartzasher NYPosts: 163 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I can see it in the lg Stylo series it's unexcusable for it to be left out of every phone

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With contract less payment becoming more prevalent I feel this is an important feature on every smartphone.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2018 11:25AM

I think it should be included on all new phones going forward regardless the cost of the device.

• I don't usually use it, but feel enough people do that it should be a standard feature. I wouldn't want it to increase my costs much.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it should be on all new smartphones.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think around $200 price point should have NFC. NFC is nice to have for mobile payment, but still no match for MST used in Samsung Pay.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

$200 and above should always have NFC. Mobile payments are a must. All of my campus vending machines are NFC or credit card only. No cash accepted! Students love it.

• cyberdynecyberdyne USAPosts: 63 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a must have for me, although I know in discussions I've had while I am personally adamant about it, not everyone agrees. I'm in the 'at the cost point of NFC why would you leave it out of any phone?' camp, I'm an almost entirely mobile payment user and we're starting to look into NFC to unlock doors and provide other low-end authentication tasks

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think all phones should have NFC going forward. I use it when setting up a new device & increasingly for payment in stores.

@mobilegeezer said:
    I think all phones should have NFC going forward. I use it when setting up a new device & increasingly for payment in stores.

I use NFC every time I go to a store that supports it. Just hold up my phone and it works. Easier than my wallet sometimes.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Who the heck voted they don't expect phones under 250 to have NFC? lol... That's extreme IMO.
    I voted at the 150 range, but quite honestly, probably all phones should have it aside from the ultra cheap phones under 100 or even less.

@DoppelgangerD said:
    Who the heck voted they don't expect phones under 250 to have NFC? lol... That's extreme IMO.
    I voted at the 150 range, but quite honestly, probably all phones should have it aside from the ultra cheap phones under 100 or even less.

I expect phones 100 and up to have NFC. Look at the lg Stylo series. They have NFC and the new one is 100

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DoppelgangerD said:

I was one of them lol But I do wish I could retract that. I say $200 minimum NFC should be given.

The option for mobile payment must be given at the $200 price range imo. In the past 3 years I have only used Android Beam twice. Quick pairing is something I very much appreciate though.

• djoec1983djoec1983 Johnston, RI USAPosts: 2 ✭✭

NFC and 3gb of RAM is a MUST in 2018 and on an phone in the $150 to $300 price range should be mandatory in my opinion. I will no longer consider devices with less than 3gb of RAM or that lack NFC.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 123 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFC is important to me. I like having the option to use mobile payments.

• jasonejasone TennesseePosts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like NFC is so cheap to add to a phone that every phone should really have it. It is essential for mobile payments, but I can understand why you would assume that people buying a budget phone might not use mobile payments much. For that reason, I think somewhere above $150 is probably acceptable when deciding whether to include it or not.

• bjhiltbrandbjhiltbrand United StatesPosts: 150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not having NFC on a phone is an immediate deal-breaker for me when considering a new phone, no matter the price point. It's trivial to add it, so why not?

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New YorkPosts: 3,409 admin

Vote or someone else will make the decision for you!

• syntapsyntap Washington DCPosts: 207 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @mrjlwilliams and @hollap said, with mobile payments increasing in use it should be a standard feature. But I do think it is fair not to expect that on the cheapest of phones, so $150 is the cutoff I voted for here in 2018. In 2019 or 2020 I'll probably answer $0.01.

Personally I don't use mobile payments because I go rooted to support other NFC-triggered tasks and Google Pay won't work on a rooted/unlocked phone (or at least I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do it). But NFC is something I use a lot. Whenever I get in the car I tap an NFC sticker to turn on location, bluetooth, and launch Waze and my podcasting program. Tapping a sticker on my toll transponder flips it all back to "at home" mode without all that on.