Textra Notifications

Comments

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that I used daily for 4 years and never once did I have to factory reset it. And the phone before it, also a Samsung, I never factory reset either. I've had all Android phones since the original G1.

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:
    I had a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that I used daily for 4 years and never once did I have to factory reset it. And the phone before it, also a Samsung, I never factory reset either. I've had all Android phones since the original G1.

Yes but that's not telling the whole story is it?
    How many times did you update the old Samsung phone to a newer version of Android? Not minor revisions, but entirely new versions, like going from ice cream sandwich to KitKat to Marshmallow to Nougat?

I had an iPhone 4 and when they released an update for it, it destroyed that phone, slowed it down to the point of being unusable and drained the batteryat light-speed.
    Apple released a bug-fix update after massive outcry, a few weeks later, but the iphone 4 was never as good as it had been before the update and there was no way to go backwards and remove the update.

This happens to all phones of all brands.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

How many times did you update the old Samsung phone to a newer version of Android? Not minor revisions, but entirely new versions, like going from ice cream sandwich to KitKat to Marshmallow to Nougat?

I had an iPhone 4 and when they released an update for it, it destroyed that phone, slowed it down to the point of being unusable and drained the batteryat light-speed.
    Apple released a bug-fix update after massive outcry, a few weeks later, but the iphone 4 was never as good as it had been before the update and there was no way to go backwards and remove the update.

Yes, I did happen to get at least one OS update on each phone but probably no more than that. Samsung is stingy with their updates. As for your iPhone slowing down, I'm sure you've heard what may have been the cause of that.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

Well as I said previously my prior HTC phones never had to be factory reset. And I received several major updates with those phones over the years. I will probably go back to HTC or try Apple. Although I really don't like Apple anything. But the crap I have had to put up with my A7 over the past year and a half assures I will not be buying the A9. If it ever comes out.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ram1220 said:

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

Well as I said previously my prior HTC phones never had to be factory reset. And I received several major updates with those phones over the years. I will probably go back to HTC or try Apple. Although I really don't like Apple anything. But the crap I have had to put up with my A7 over the past year and a half assures I will not be buying the A9. If it ever comes out.

I've read most or all of the issues you have had with your A7 device, and IMO your issues aren't consistent with the majority of users. In some way or another your device is just fubar or corrupt and should be wiped and manually re-setup on a step my step basis, including manual ROM installation, or just sent to ZTE for diagnosis and repair.

If you use an Android device long enough, it WILL need to be reset once or twice a year to get it back to optimum performance levels. Unfortunately this is just the nature of Android. It's gotten better over the last year or two though. The problems rely mostly in the broad spectrum of customization that Android allows, to manufacturers, engineers, and consumers as well, so with literally an infinite amount of combinations of software, apps, settings, usage, etc... the system is going to get somewhat convoluted at times and needs a refresh to get back to optimum performance.
    This holds true for all brands of Android devices. The fact that iOS software is very limited and only structured by Apple allows iPhone software to run a bit more reliably than Android. That is one of the reasons why some iPhone users prefer iPhones. I think Android users mostly prefer the broad customization abilities of the platform as well as better bang for your buck through the mid-tier and lower-tier devices.
    I could personally never use an iPhone as a daily driver. I love being able to customize my Android devices.

@DoppelgangerD said:

@ram1220 said:

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

I've read most or all of the issues you have had with your A7 device, and IMO your issues aren't consistent with the majority of users. In some way or another your device is just fubar or corrupt and should be wiped and manually re-setup on a step my step basis, including manual ROM installation, or just sent to ZTE for diagnosis and repair.

If you use an Android device long enough, it WILL need to be reset once or twice a year to get it back to optimum performance levels. Unfortunately this is just the nature of Android. It's gotten better over the last year or two though. The problems rely mostly in the broad spectrum of customization that Android allows, to manufacturers, engineers, and consumers as well, so with literally an infinite amount of combinations of software, apps, settings, usage, etc... the system is going to get somewhat convoluted at times and needs a refresh to get back to optimum performance.
    This holds true for all brands of Android devices. The fact that iOS software is very limited and only structured by Apple allows iPhone software to run a bit more reliably than Android. That is one of the reasons why some iPhone users prefer iPhones. I think Android users mostly prefer the broad customization abilities of the platform as well as better bang for your buck through the mid-tier and lower-tier devices.
    I could personally never use an iPhone as a daily driver. I love being able to customize my Android devices.

I will more than likely go back to HTC. All of my past HTC phones have been work horses and have always been reliable. I tried the A7 when it came out because I was being cheap. Lol. I guess I got what I paid for. I have always had Android phones and honestly don't want to go Apple. Just so frustrated with my bipolar A7.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ram1220 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@ram1220 said:

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

I will more than likely go back to HTC. All of my past HTC phones have been work horses and have always been reliable. I tried the A7 when it came out because I was being cheap. Lol. I guess I got what I paid for. I have always had Android phones and honestly don't want to go Apple. Just so frustrated with my bipolar A7.

Once again, if your A7 is broken, why not just send it in for repair. Then you wouldn't have to keep complaining about it and would have a nice working device. ;-)

@jimlloyd40

It is well known across the industry that Android software gets a bit convoluted and performance slows down a bit in most smartphones over time. To say that you haven't "had to reset" your devices is your choice. I never said it would slow down and become so horrible that you have to reset it to get it to work again. You also didn't say that, but your inferrance is stronger than what mine was intended as well. After a smartphone is used a lot over a period of time, it will invariably run smoother and faster after a full reset. I don't know how else to say it, but it's just a fact.

Based on ram1220's comments over the past year, he has had NUMEROUS complaints about the performance of his A7 that are inconsistent with the experience that others have on the same device.
    I have always run either beta or stock software on my A7 for more than 1.5 years and don't have the same issues.
    Software can be corrupted and broken just like hardware. Infiltrated by rogue apps, web page links, spyware, etc... etc... etc... Again this is just a known fact.

LOL! Go to bed Jim. HAGN

By the way I finally got the new update from Textra. Version 3.44. The notification issue appears to be resolved. The issue might have been caused by Textra version 3.43 as Textra gave users more customization in notifications and might have broke things for us> @DoppelgangerD said:

@jimlloyd40

It is well known across the industry that Android software gets a bit convoluted and performance slows down a bit in most smartphones over time. To say that you haven't "had to reset" your devices is your choice. I never said it would slow down and become so horrible that you have to reset it to get it to work again. You also didn't say that, but your inferrance is stronger than what mine was intended as well. After a smartphone is used a lot over a period of time, it will invariably run smoother and faster after a full reset. I don't know how else to say it, but it's just a fact.

Based on ram1220's comments over the past year, he has had NUMEROUS complaints about the performance of his A7 that are inconsistent with the experience that others have on the same device.
    I have always run either beta or stock software on my A7 for more than 1.5 years and don't have the same issues.
    Software can be corrupted and broken just like hardware. Infiltrated by rogue apps, web page links, spyware, etc... etc... etc... Again this is just a known fact.

Every single complaint I have had about my A7 has also been reported here in these forums. You and I will just have to agree to disagree. My A7 is the only phone that I have ever had that I have to babysit every single day with so many issues. And again they have been reported by others in this forum. I never had to do this with any HTC phone before. And I have had many. I still use my HTC One M7 quite a bit. And again it doesn't have any issues. If you have gone back to read my messages like you claim you will also see that I solved my mic issue by turning off the VoLTE setting. Again a software issue reported by many. Almost all of my problems are from the software. Why would I send my phone in for poor software when I would probably get the same issues back again? You keep saying that all Android phones have issues. And some iphones. I am just saying that my HTC phones don't and my family and friend's iphone do not either. However my ZTE A7 does. And I have learned my lesson. You get what you pay for. Again we will have to agree to disagree.

Jimlloyd40 I have no idea how my post above quoted your post. I was replying to DopplengangerD. Every now and then this forum will just screw up and quote the wrong person. I guess it happened again. Sorry and I don't see any way to delete the post. When this forum first came out we were promised things would be fixed. Including not having to re log in every day. So far it has not. Maybe ZTE wrote the software for the forum? Anyway sorry Jim.

@ram1220 said:
    Every single complaint I have had about my A7 has also been reported here in these forums. You and I will just have to agree to disagree. My A7 is the only phone that I have ever had that I have to babysit every single day with so many issues. And again they have been reported by others in this forum. I never had to do this with any HTC phone before. And I have had many. I still use my HTC One M7 quite a bit. And again it doesn't have any issues. If you have gone back to read my messages like you claim you will also see that I solved my mic issue by turning off the VoLTE setting. Again a software issue reported by many. Almost all of my problems are from the software. Why would I send my phone in for poor software when I would probably get the same issues back again? You keep saying that all Android phones have issues. And some iphones. I am just saying that my HTC phones don't and my family and friend's iphone do not either. However my ZTE A7 does. And I have learned my lesson. You get what you pay for. Again we will have to agree to disagree.

It is obvious (to me) that many of the issues you have had are very specific to your device. Of course the A7 is not perfect and does have some known issues, but when (some of) your issues aren't consistent with other users, you don't seem to want to figure out how to solve them. I mean you have gone to the extent of asking about it here and some troubleshooting, but at some point if things aren't resolved, then you have to figure out something else. I have no idea why, especially when you say you have other devices you can currently use, why you wouldn't just send it in for repair or replacement. I don't mean to come off as a ****, but again your complaints seem to take preference over doing anything about it (at this point).
    FWIW, I use my A7 daily and don't have to "babysit" it's issues. They just don't exist for me most of the time.
    Sometimes I do have issues and think what the heck is wrong with this phone, but then later on I figure out it was a network issue, or a carrier issue, or an issue with an app just like you figured out with Textra.

As I explained previously, software can be corrupted on a case by case basis too, and when that happens then said software does not operate the same as other non-corrupted devices.
    So based on that premise, you should get a different non-corrupted software package back from repair/exchange if that is the issue with your device. Also, when hardware isn't working as it should, it can mimic software issues as well, so this is yet another factor that could be the cause of some issues.
    Another way to resolve this could be to download the full software package from the ZTE support site and to reload it onto your device and start from scratch that way. IF your devices software is corrupted, that would likely fix the issue. It IS a lot of work, but to me it's worth it when such a task solves a problem, and this procedure would actually keep you from having to send your device in to ZTE, assuming you don't have some faulty hardware.

BTW, that's a pretty definitive statement to say HTC and Apple devices have no issues at all. I think you may be using some wishful thinking there to try to iterate that HTC doesn't have the same issues that your A7 does, and in that context it's understandable, but ALL devices have issues. Some are more prevalent to some users compared to others based on how they use the device. All phones have bugs though.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

All devices have issues, just some devices have more than others...

@DoppelgangerD said:

@ram1220 said:

It is obvious (to me) that many of the issues you have had are very specific to your device. Of course the A7 is not perfect and does have some known issues, but when (some of) your issues aren't consistent with other users, you don't seem to want to figure out how to solve them. I mean you have gone to the extent of asking about it here and some troubleshooting, but at some point if things aren't resolved, then you have to figure out something else. I have no idea why, especially when you say you have other devices you can currently use, why you wouldn't just send it in for repair or replacement. I don't mean to come off as a ****, but again your complaints seem to take preference over doing anything about it (at this point).
    FWIW, I use my A7 daily and don't have to "babysit" it's issues. They just don't exist for me most of the time.
    Sometimes I do have issues and think what the heck is wrong with this phone, but then later on I figure out it was a network issue, or a carrier issue, or an issue with an app just like you figured out with Textra.

As I explained previously, software can be corrupted on a case by case basis too, and when that happens then said software does not operate the same as other non-corrupted devices.
    So based on that premise, you should get a different non-corrupted software package back from repair/exchange if that is the issue with your device. Also, when hardware isn't working as it should, it can mimic software issues as well, so this is yet another factor that could be the cause of some issues.
    Another way to resolve this could be to download the full software package from the ZTE support site and to reload it onto your device and start from scratch that way. IF your devices software is corrupted, that would likely fix the issue. It IS a lot of work, but to me it's worth it when such a task solves a problem, and this procedure would actually keep you from having to send your device in to ZTE, assuming you don't have some faulty hardware.

BTW, that's a pretty definitive statement to say HTC and Apple devices have no issues at all. I think you may be using some wishful thinking there to try to iterate that HTC doesn't have the same issues that your A7 does, and in that context it's understandable, but ALL devices have issues. Some are more prevalent to some users compared to others based on how they use the device. All phones have bugs though.

I believe I said my HTC devices don't have any issues. And I believe I said my family and friend's iphones don't have any issues. If I didn't say that then I apologize. But I'm not going back to reread the messages. To be honest with you I believe most if not all of my issues are software problems. I don't want to send my phone back because I know I won't get the same phone back. I don't want someone else's phone that was used. And others here have stated the phones they did receive had problems too. That's just my preference. I post here hoping to solve my software issues that I do have. Most of them have been solved by the help of people in this forum. I do not have all of the problems I have reported all at once. These are issues that have cropped up over the almost 2 years that I have had my A7. Most have been solved even if I haven't reported here that they were solved. Others have not been solved. I hope that helps.

Well the latest update from Textra (3.44) did not solve the text notification problem. I am still not receiving a notification on about half of my texts. Textra tech support has told me that they haven't heard of the problem. However in the reviews of Textra in the Play Store I am seeing plenty of people report this issue. Almost all commenting in March of 2018. So something has changed. Also version 3.44 has now caused issues with MMS not sending. Toggling a setting in Textra back and forth will fix the issue for awhile.

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 117 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just tested it and I am nit having any issues sending or receiving pictures through Textra, and I'm not having any notification issues either.
    I have version 3.44

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,694 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So have you guys ever tried the YAATA messaging app?? I have actually switched over all my devices to it and I love it.

Give it a test run and let me know what you guys think...... I was also using on my B35 build and i had no issues with it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rpkandrodev.yaata&hl=en

So have you guys ever tried the YAATA messaging app?? I have actually switched over all my devices to it and I love it.

Give it a test run and let me know what you guys think...... I was also using on my B35 build and i had no issues with it.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know plenty of people that have issue with HTC and Apple devices. As well as ZTE and Samsung evices. And every other device on the planet. I agree with @DoppelgangerD that certain devices just seem to get software corrupt at a level that the user cannot do anything about. You see posts from all OEMs where a user will claim their device is "possessed". Maybe there's a bad memory block that continuously gets accessed and causes issues. It appears @ram1220 may have something similar. It's his choice to attempt or not attempt whatever fixes he feels are needed. It appears the text issue may be with Textra, not ZTE, however multiple people, including me, are not having similar issues.

At this point if the device doesn't get sent in, @ram1220 may just continue to experience issues. But again, that's the user's choice. We'll keep trying to help you as best we can @ram1220!

@jimlloyd40 said:

@coldheat06 said:

Because we didn't hear you the first time. 😂

Sometimes folks don't and they like to complain when there are other options available ........ so I had to repeat it. ;)

@coldheat06 said:

I will try Yaata and see how I like it. Thanks for the suggestions :smile:

Ok this notification issue is a tough one to solve. So I downloaded Yaata as was suggested here. I get my initial notification but I do not get any repeat notifications. I have Yaata set to repeat 5 times every 1 minute. I go back to Textra and same thing. I get the initial notification but no repeat notifications no matter what is set in Textra. Here's where it gets strange. I bought a ZTE Blade V8 Pro a few weeks ago as a backup and it was on sale very cheap. I did a factory reset just for grins. Installed Textra and the same issue as my A7. I get the initial notification but no repeat ones. So I try Yaata. Same issue. No repeat notifications. I factory reset again and the same issues. I tried with Mifavor as well as Stock Android settings on both phones. Same issue.
    Those of you that say Textra notifications are working for you. Have you tried it long enough to see if you are getting repeat notifications? Can you please check? I can not for the life of me figure this one out. Neither can the Textra folks. I get the same problems on both ZTE phones. Textra repeat notifications worked fine until B35 came out and Textra also had an upgrade. I can't figure out where the issue lies. I have two different texting programs with the same issue. And two different ZTE phones with the issue. One has been factory reset twice. I am stumped.

I figured it out!!! I am so proud of myself. Hahahaha. It was the damn ZTE battery saver crap. It apparently was reset when I upgraded my A7 to B35. That's when all the Textra issues started. I went into the battery saving settings and gave it a try. Bingo! Textra works as it's supposed to. So if anyone has this issue the problem is with the ZTE software changing the settings. I will let Textra know also. Thanks for the responses. Again great hardware but crappy software.