Security patches for Blade V8 Pro

deveshsingh209deveshsingh209 AustinPosts: 10 ✭✭✭✭

So it seems Blade V8 Pro is not getting OS updates but at-least ZTE should keep supporting the phone with security updates.
I use my phone for work and Just got a notice from IT that access has been blocked since Patch level is before 1 Nov 2017.

Can we please have security updates if not OS updates?

Comments

• deveshsingh209deveshsingh209 AustinPosts: 10 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Jim,
    I think security pack updates should be a priority for manufacturers. I did not ask for any features but just security updates. I could move to opensource but rooting is not an option for me.
    The population in my spot might be small but security updates are not just for corporate customers but for general users as well to protect them from threats.

I wish ZTE would spend some more effort in this area.

• easedeleasedel Posts: 73 ✭✭✭✭✭

Face it. We are screwed.

• easedeleasedel Posts: 73 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2018 8:20PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@easedel said:
    Face it. We are screwed.

@easedel you're right. Unfortunately the only way to stay at least close to up to date is but a new phone every year or buy a new phone that guarantees updates for a specified time period. Google and Essential phones are guaranteed system updates for two years and security patch updates for three years. There are a few others who come close but those are the only two that stay up to date. Or Apple.

We got what? 9 or 10 months of support? Oct 1st was the last security update. The KRACK fix was in november and december.

This wasn't some $50 blu type phone when it came out, it was actually a decently spec'ed phone. Least give us the ability to unlock the bootloader.

Its absolute **** that you pay $200+ for a phone and can't even get security support for it after a year. Wish I never got this thing. I didn't think a company could be that **** up with updates but shame on me for not listening to reviews about ZTE as a whole.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They just out out an update today for this device. Bringing it to Feb security patch.

@jasonscarter said:
    They just out out an update today for this device. Bringing it to Feb security patch.

I got it too. Was such a relief. At-least our voices are heard. :)

Looks like I need to be on March 1st security patch now.
    @zte_usa can we get March 1st security path update for Blade V8 pro ?

@deveshsingh209 said:

They cannot provide security updates for Android while the ban is in effect.

@jasonscarter said:

@deveshsingh209 said:

They cannot provide security updates for Android while the ban is in effect.

Yeah.. seems like the update check URL is also not reachable anymore.
    Now when I check for updates, it times-out after ~40 seconds and the error displayed is "Network unavilable".
    Though I heard they came to a settlement deal. Hope it goes through soon.

Deal is still not finalized yet, so ban is still in effect. They are going through the motions. Lots of things left to do still and Congress is still trying to block it. May be a while. I would switch to another device if up to date patches are important to you right now.