Ridiculous lack of warranty service from dfcomputer for Canadian warranty

Comments

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did this get resolved? I understand ZTE Canada through their twitter page said parts were available but did DFComputers agree with them and say "you can send it in now, we have parts/replacement phones"? or did they say they still don't have parts available?

How would somebody get ahold of ZTE Canada if they are not on twitter, like I am not? I have 14 months of warranty left and what do I do if DFcomputers says they have no parts or replacement phones 6 months from now?

I have two deciding factors that will determine if I buy the Axon 9 this year,
    1) are they going to release it around May-June, because I'm buying a new phone then, (I doubt they're going to or details about the phone would be emerging by now)
    2) is their "2 year" warranty really a one year warranty because they don't have parts and replacement phones available a year after purchase.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cf07 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:
    When I first applied, they told me to check in a month later. But I contacted ZTE Canada instead who told me that parts were available and that I should send it in.

Very helpful post @14blank40. It sounds like ZTE needs a new source in Canada to handle warranty claims.

Well that was due to them having a lack of parts.... I'm really not sure who to blame or who to ask about how to resolve this issue, but I will admit that DF computers, communication needs to be stronger with us

I don't know what the truth is either but DF Computers just leaves people in limbo and doesn't offer any solution. It's also a law that manufacturers have to have replacement parts available for a certain length of time and I don't know how long that is for cell phones. Or they have to refund the purchase or offer a phone with equal capabilities and price. @14blank40 if you would have accepted DF Computers excuse you might still be waiting but you were proactive and solved the problem.

I don't think there is any laws in Canada that manufacturers must have parts.
    Nor Canadian Government will enforce it. If it is CRA revenue tax case..yes.they will after you even if the government found wrong in court.

I would be very surprised if Canada didn't have laws about that.

LMAO! You would spend more at your first meeting with an attorney than the phone is worth.

@stevec5375 LMAO! ALSO. Because "IF" it's a law in Canada as it is in the US you wouldn't hire a private lawyer you would notify the proper government office that handles that and it would be free.

Even if that's so and it is "free", most people's time isn't free. Try filing a complaint with a government agency then watch the circus begin. It will be a very long time before anything is done.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cf07 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:
    When I first applied, they told me to check in a month later. But I contacted ZTE Canada instead who told me that parts were available and that I should send it in.

Very helpful post @14blank40. It sounds like ZTE needs a new source in Canada to handle warranty claims.

Well that was due to them having a lack of parts.... I'm really not sure who to blame or who to ask about how to resolve this issue, but I will admit that DF computers, communication needs to be stronger with us

I don't know what the truth is either but DF Computers just leaves people in limbo and doesn't offer any solution. It's also a law that manufacturers have to have replacement parts available for a certain length of time and I don't know how long that is for cell phones. Or they have to refund the purchase or offer a phone with equal capabilities and price. @14blank40 if you would have accepted DF Computers excuse you might still be waiting but you were proactive and solved the problem.

Nor Canadian Government will enforce it. If it is CRA revenue tax case..yes.they will after you even if the government found wrong in court.

LMAO! You would spend more at your first meeting with an attorney than the phone is worth.

@stevec5375 LMAO! ALSO. Because "IF" it's a law in Canada as it is in the US you wouldn't hire a private lawyer you would notify the proper government office that handles that and it would be free.

Even if that's so and it is "free", most people's time isn't free. Try filing a complaint with a government agency then watch the circus begin. It will be a very long time before anything is done.

I don't know how it's done in Canada but here in Texas a person can file in a small claims court for a small amount of money. Much less than a new phone would cost.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018 3:14PM

@ram1220 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cf07 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:

I don't know how it's done in Canada but here in Texas a person can file in a small claims court for a small amount of money. Much less than a new phone would cost.

Yep, in '08 it was $110 to file a claim in small claims court in Texas.

It's now $124 to file a claim in small claims court in Texas. Plus other fees.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:

@ram1220 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cf07 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:

But then there is the cost of your time to hassle with it, the cost of the gas to drive to the court, etc.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018 7:11PM

@stevec5375 said:

@texasmade1 said:

@ram1220 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cf07 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@14blank40 said:

But then there is the cost of your time to hassle with it, the cost of the gas to drive to the court, etc.

Never said that I was in favor or against the small claims court idea, just provided the costs here in Texas based on a case I was involved in '08 as opposed to today's costs.

Instead if debating hypothetical law suits, anyone know how this ended?
    ZTE Canada said send it in, DFcomputers said they had no parts and no replacements.

• bluenotebluenote United StatesPosts: 42 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018 12:21PM

I emailed them again yesterday. DF computer says that "head office" has ended advance warranty exchange.
    They say they can "try" to repair my phone for me.

Last week they said they had no parts. This is a real nightmare at this point. I called ZTE Canada and no one was answering the phone, it just eventually sent me to voicemail. I have now emailed them. We'll see.

Not looking good for anyone who just bought a phone.

DF Computer's email to me:

"Dear ZTE customer,

Head office closed advance service. We only can do standard repair service. If you want to send the phone in and we will try to repair your device for you."

edited March 15, 2018 12:17PM

My email to "[email protected]" apparently went to china, and I got this back:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for contacting us. Since we are responsible for ZTE system equipment after sales service, we have forwarded your mail to our mobile Dept. Sorry for the inconvenience, wish you a nice day!

Dear Mobile Dept. Colleagues,

Please handle this issue for our respected customer at earliest, thanks!

"
    (from zte.com.cn)

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you used a credit card, read the protection plan. By accepting credit card payments, the manufacturer agrees to certain terms for customer service. Submit your device for repair. If you don't have a working device or refund in the required number of days you'll get a refund simply by filling out a form with the credit card company and documenting the timeline. The manufacturer will be given a few days to resolve the issue or a chargeback will be forced against them. I've used it for cases like this where a manufacturer tells me that they're backlogged or waiting for parts but they won't accept a return for refund.

@kevinmcmurtrie said:
    If you used a credit card, read the protection plan. By accepting credit card payments, the manufacturer agrees to certain terms for customer service. Submit your device for repair. If you don't have a working device or refund in the required number of days you'll get a refund simply by filling out a form with the credit card company and documenting the timeline. The manufacturer will be given a few days to resolve the issue or a chargeback will be forced against them. I've used it for cases like this where a manufacturer tells me that they're backlogged or waiting for parts but they won't accept a return for refund.

Read which protection plan? You mean the credit card, or ZTE's warranty? Passport 1.0, which is what they advertise in Canada includes advanced replacement, which they are refusing... I have contacted newegg to ask for a refund, but of course they don't want to do that. The CC I did use has every type of insurance that credit cards typically offer in Canada, so if it can be done, I would be a candidate.

So just to clarify, you're saying the the CC should give me a refund based on the fact that I'm not receiving the service I paid for, right? Basically just a regular chargeback?

DF Computer after I complained is offering a Z933 as a loaner Jellybean and 4GB of storage!

At this point I'd be more concerned that they won't be able to repair your Axon. The "send it in and we'll TRY to fix it" is a HUGE red flag.

For me, it would be a huge Red Flag because I didn't buy my Axon 7 with a credit card, so were I in his shoes, I wouldn't have that option.

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is what ZTE Canada is telling me on twitter:

@14blank40 said:

Thanks @14blank40. I will try and contact them. I've never DM'd someone on twitter though, when I try, it says I can only send messages to people that have followed me. How does this work?

@marcwool1 said:
    For me, it would be a huge Red Flag because I didn't buy my Axon 7 with a credit card, so were I in his shoes, I wouldn't have that option.

Despite what jimlloyd is saying, it's not alright that ZTE is going back on their promises.

@bluenote said:

@14blank40 said:

Thanks @14blank40. I will try and contact them. I've never DM'd someone on twitter though, when I try, it says I can only send messages to people that have followed me. How does this work?

I followed them and I was able to send a message, so you should be fine if you just follow them. Or just send a tweet tagging them asking if you can DM over concerns of your phone warrenty

I think that ZTE's Pretend, "2 year warranty", the complete mismanagement if it in Canada, has closed the book on whether I ever buy another ZTE product.

So this is what I've found out from ZTE Canada:

edited March 20, 2018 6:35PM

Yeah I got that update too. But there's still no "advanced exchange" option on the website. (which means this "wait list" they mention doesn't actually exist.)

• SphexiSphexi CanadaPosts: 5 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just popped in as I just got my replacement A2017U from df today. Second replacement in the last few months (first one sent out had a malfunctioning USB C port), had the same experience. Said they were out of stock, not sure when it would come in, but were a little bit nicer about it.

I DM'd the ZTE Canada account on Twitter and they checked and within a day told me that DF would be reaching out (they did) and they had parts available. I sent it in, gave them a little over a week (site says 5 business days, gave them 7) before bugging them, and within a short amount of time responded that they'd be replacing it after trying to "repair" it.

TBH I don't think df does any sort of repairs, I think they're a small chain of computer shops that won some contract to handle the Canadian warranty from ZTE, and just swap things out as they can. I also think English is not their primary language (at least whoever is handling their email account) so there could just be some misunderstanding as to what they're sending out. It took some time but I did get a replacement phone that appears to be fully functional.

That being said, no point in a 2 year warranty that can barely be honored, and the service is just horrific. Has completely turned me off of ZTE as a brand, unfortunate because for the most part I like the phone, and I'm looking forward to the Oreo update. But if that isn't all that and a bag of chips I may sell the phone second hand and get a Oneplus 6 or something else to replace it.

@Sphexi said:
    Just popped in as I just got my replacement A2017U from df today. Second replacement in the last few months (first one sent out had a malfunctioning USB C port), had the same experience. Said they were out of stock, not sure when it would come in, but were a little bit nicer about it.

I DM'd the ZTE Canada account on Twitter and they checked and within a day told me that DF would be reaching out (they did) and they had parts available. I sent it in, gave them a little over a week (site says 5 business days, gave them 7) before bugging them, and within a short amount of time responded that they'd be replacing it after trying to "repair" it.

TBH I don't think df does any sort of repairs, I think they're a small chain of computer shops that won some contract to handle the Canadian warranty from ZTE, and just swap things out as they can. I also think English is not their primary language (at least whoever is handling their email account) so there could just be some misunderstanding as to what they're sending out. It took some time but I did get a replacement phone that appears to be fully functional.

That being said, no point in a 2 year warranty that can barely be honored, and the service is just horrific. Has completely turned me off of ZTE as a brand, unfortunate because for the most part I like the phone, and I'm looking forward to the Oreo update. But if that isn't all that and a bag of chips I may sell the phone second hand and get a Oneplus 6 or something else to replace it.

That's my plan. I really wanted to buy the Axon 9 but this ridiculous, barely existing warranty, from some computer store I have NEVER heard of, tells me it's time to give OnePlus a try.
    Once I've bought the OnePlus 6 I'll never be back on this forum or as a ZTE customer again.
    (
    The forum was great, but no reason to be here if I won't be a ZTE customer)