How about a bootloader unlock?

adammckayadammckay Harrisburg, PAPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep seeing the same theme over and over again - the Blade v8 Pro is mid-range so we should expect no security patches, no OS upgrades, no support, etc. etc. I'm fine with all that. How about a bootloader unlock then? The phone isn't getting any newer - how about if ZTE unlocks the bootloader (I understand they were willing to help with this on other models) and we'll get something else (Lineage, AOSP) working on the phone down the road? I would be a lot more likely to buy another phone from ZTE. I am strongly leaning towards the Moto G line for my next mid-range because Motorola is a lot nicer about unlocking the bootloader.

Comments

• adammckayadammckay Harrisburg, PAPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@adammckay said:
    I keep seeing the same theme over and over again - the Blade v8 Pro is mid-range so we should expect no security patches, no OS upgrades, no support, etc. etc. I'm fine with all that. How about a bootloader unlock then? The phone isn't getting any newer - how about if ZTE unlocks the bootloader (I understand they were willing to help with this on other models) and we'll get something else (Lineage, AOSP) working on the phone down the road? I would be a lot more likely to buy another phone from ZTE. I am strongly leaning towards the Moto G line for my next mid-range because Motorola is a lot nicer about unlocking the bootloader.

@adammckay that's probably not going to happen and I'm not sure that there's any custom ROM 's available.

The bootloader unlock would have to come first - then (and only maybe) a custom ROM would come. I agree with you - "that's probably not going to happen". And those will be my words when I shop past a ZTE phone the next time I buy. The Motos seem to have no problem unlocking the bootloader and telling you, "go ahead but you're on your own." I really liked the hardware behind this phone but I'm just not used to such lack of support from other companies I've dealt with. I know that most people don't care about OS upgrades and custom ROMs so this phone is better suited for them.

• easedeleasedel Posts: 75 ✭✭✭✭✭

This. Let us unlock the damn thing and have the modders actually give support to the phone since ZTE all but abandoned it not even a year after release

• JIMBOWHOJIMBOWHO United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    I want my boot loader unlocked. There is a good reason, for me that is. Money has exchanged hands. the phone is in my procession, it belongs to me. I can really trust the people that put this together would never completely relinquish control cause that, my friends, is how they say, is that.  It would diminish their usefulness. My reason is not hard to figure. That type of control they hold is the very thing that slowly robs us of our personal freedom, freedom to make choices, free will. To make mistakes, that how we learn. there is consequence, but by the same token, That is the payoff for me, the knowledge i gained from the endeavor, even if i fail. It is what has make men in this Country for the last 500 years Men. Not only men, successful men. So, Gentlemen, Lady's, I would like to honer you for your disobedience, your refusal to believe, that you cannot or it cant be done. People with a vision are not really concerned about the quality of life with objects that are said to improve our lives. No... It tightens the control others need to keep over us. as cattle, simple consumers lining their pockets and all it amounts to is standing on the back of the poor to get rich, Accumulating power and dictating to us how we should think, where we should stand, And the things that we should have that makes them happy, that they, based of their estimate how much more important they are then some of us. That worries me. You see, its like this, I'm not really worried the man who wants 10 nuclear weapons. Not concern that his collection might go off by mistake. No, What really terrifies me is the man who wants just one nuclear weapon, and is only concerned that it might go off before he can get it home to edit and update his last will and testament... Thanks guys, its a blessing to know your out there.

G
    M
    T
    Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
    AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
    Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters