ZTE's Tempo Go Is The First Android Go Smartphone To Hit The US Market

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited States Posts: 3,735 admin

The first Android Go smartphone to hit US shores is now available and it won’t set you back very much.

The ZTE Tempo Go features a 5.0-inch display, it’s powered by a Snapdragon 210 in conjunction with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of local storage (expandable by 32GB via microSD card slot).

A five-megapixel rear-facing camera, a two-megapixel front shooter and a 3.5mm headphone jack also grace the device.

But... it's not about the hardware.

It runs Google’s version of Android for low-end devices. Dubbed Android Go, the OS features performance and storage improvements with data management features and security benefits built-in. It also offers a set of lightweight Google apps and access to a tuned version of the Google Play Store that highlights apps that’ll work best on lower-end hardware.

The ZTE Tempo Go is now available for $79.99.

Comments

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,735 admin

What do you guys think about the slimmed down version of Android and it's suite of apps?

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sshasan said:
    What do you guys think about the slimmed down version of Android and it's suite of apps?

I think it seems like a great choice for an unlocked low budget device, but I'm curious how smooth it would run with only 1GB of RAM. That's supposed to be what it's designed for though, to run on minimalistic hardware, so I guess we'll see once the reviews start appearing. It's definitely an interesting concept.

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

for less than 100, it is not too bad. I hope google optimize the software for the hardware. I really think we need budget device for those who just need a phone for basic tasks and simple communication/social media.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to give one a shot as a backup phone for when I'm out on road bike and gravel rides

• louisdlouisd United StatesPosts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 9:56PM

@westside80 said:
    One good thing about it, I assume, is that it'll get timely updates from Google. That's worth a lot.

You sure about that? Android One, yup. Android Go, I'm not so sure. (http://www.zdnet.com/article/android-oreo-vs-android-one-vs-android-go/)

edited April 1, 2018 4:58PM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    According to the article that I posted above Google will be supplying quick updates. Will they? I don't know but that's what that article stated.

Well, the Google page on it says nothing about quick updates: https://www.android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/go-edition/ while the Google page for One talks about it heavily: https://www.android.com/one/

3rd parties that have other 3rd parties write their articles, such as AA, often get things wrong. Not saying that's the case here, but it seems really strange that Google wouldn't be trumpeting this as a feature of Go.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I bought my ZMax Pro devices for $79 each and to me it's a much better device spec wise, and I'm sure performance wise (imo) and they are over 1.5yrs old.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,149 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a great backup phone or a phone for someone that's new to Android or doesn't care much about specs, etc.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like an entry for a starter phone. The Google software should make it work with the hardware specs it comes with.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United States Posts: 3,124 mod

@jyee do you know where one can be purchased ? They are already showing Out of stock in the ZTE Store

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Tempo looks like an interesting device!!! It would be fun to see what all it can do.

• jyeejyee VP, Product Marketing & Strategy San Francisco, CA Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@musicdjm said:
    @jyee do you know where one can be purchased ? They are already showing Out of stock in the ZTE Store

From the ZTE Store. Sorry that it's out of stock at the moment.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jyee I would really like to pick up the ZTE Tempo, Is there a way that customers can pre-order the device so that when it comes it stock they will be able to receive it first??

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This device isn't for me. Interesting for a starter phone. I use my phone for much more than a basic starter device. I would be disappointed in the speed and space for apps, and camera quality of course. I just need to do more with my device than this. I guess I would just lean towards a used device with better specs, or a Zmax Pro, or a carrier device like the Moto E4 Plus from Boost or something similar. But I'll never say never, and I can't wait to see some reviews of the Android Go software.

@hollap said:
    This device isn't for me. Interesting for a starter phone. I use my phone for much more than a basic starter device. I would be disappointed in the speed and space for apps, and camera quality of course. I just need to do more with my device than this. I guess I would just lean towards a used device with better specs, or a Zmax Pro, or a carrier device like the Moto E4 Plus from Boost or something similar. But I'll never say never, and I can't wait to see some reviews of the Android Go software.

I'll agree. I'm honestly not sure why I would choose this over a Moto E4, which can regularly be found factory unlocked for $99 or even the Samsung J3, which also can be found for $99.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If they hadn't been sold out I would've already picked one up just to try it out..

• kevin123kevin123 United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭

I Thin this the best low budget phone. You can also get the unlock code for this phone with in very low cost @ 5.95 only. ZTE is the best deal to use and the more best thing is any ZTE phone can be unlock to use any carrior with the ZTE factory unlock code at unlockninja.com