How I made my Axon M near perfect...

loudog3114loudog3114 Posts: 13 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just thought I would share how I made my Axon m work for me as, out of the box, there are a lot of things that could be done better with their software.

For some odd reason, the stock launcher will not rotate in extended mode. So I tested just about all the major launchers, and settled on Nova, as it maintains the icon grid and layout in both 1 screen mode, and extended mode. Landscape or portrait. The down side of Nova is it only shows half of your home screen in A/B mode, but I use that mode so rarely it didn't matter to me.

Next, and probably obvious to most by now, is go to settings/display and enable "force apps to work with dual screen" and "extended mode for all apps".

Third, I set my display size and font size both to small. Personally, I really want root to set the DPI even lower, as I think it should be with so much screen real estate, but it is what it is. You can change the "smallest width" option in developer options, which seem like an obvious fix. But, as soon as you change screen modes again, or reboot, that setting will reset. If you leave your phone in one mode, though, you can increase that number to suit your needs. I like it to be at 731 in extended mode. But like I said, you have to set it and then leave it in whatever dual screen mode you're inn, or it will reset.

Last, I got "ultimate rotation control" from the app store and set that app to force portrait mode, but you can set it how you like. If you set it to force auto, the stock launcher will rotate in any mode, which is great - though it looks a little funky. I set it to force portrait as in single screen mode, I want portrait. But in extended mode, I want the bezels to be on the sides rather than top and bottom, and forcing portrait mode will force that rotation for you. Why don't I just use force auto? Because I find the rotation sensitivity to be a bit high, and the device rotates more than it needs to. Also, I find that this device lags quite a bit (particularly from screen off to on) when rotation is enabled... and I can't take the lag.

I think that's really it. Unfortunately the performance on the device is never going to be perfect on nougat with a SD821. There is just too little background process control and not enough power and/or RAM. But I still like it enough to use it as my daily driver most of the time. There are still plenty of issues (camera, screen density, etc) but this isn't a review... just trying to help other users out a bit.

Comments

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! I certainly will check this out

• MistergouMistergou Chattanooga, TnPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! great info, I didn't even realize they made rotation control apps. Have you used any of the other rotation apps that don't charge any $$?

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2018 12:32PM

Hi @loudog3114 ,

1. Stock M launcher doesn't have a rotation setting as you mention before, BUT the best launcher I have use for this device is the ported "Pixel Launcher" , this Launcher works wonders, you'll need to just download the *.apk and sideload and you'll be good to go.

2. Both of those settings under display are required for full 3rd party apps that aren't optimize for dual screen smartphones.

3. DPI can be modified to a ext. But values will always change base on the Mode you're using. Using ADB you can change the DPI values and they will stick even if you restart your device.

This steps Modified System wide DPI, perform at your own risk

• If you don't have ADB install, installed.
    • Enable USB Debugging under Developer Option.
    • Type : adb shell
    • Type : wm density (this command will let you know what's your current DPI value)
    • Type: wm density 450 (this command will change your DPI value to 450 or your desire value, but keep in mind depends on your screen mode this will change to a different value)
    • To revert back to default values just go to Display settings and change to small
    1. I personally use Rotation control pro ,works the way I like and I have full control of the rotation setting, that's including Per App Rotation. You should give it a try.

Hope this help and have fun :+1:

• loudog3114loudog3114 Posts: 13 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. DPI can be modified to a ext. But values will always change base on the Mode you're using. Using ADB you can change the DPI values and they will stick even if you restart your device.

This steps Modified System wide DPI, perform at your own risk

• If you don't have ADB install, installed.
    • Enable USB Debugging under Developer Option.
    • Type : adb shell
    • Type : wm density (this command will let you know what's your current DPI value)
    • Type: wm density 450 (this command will change your DPI value to 450 or your desire value, but keep in mind depends on your screen mode this will change to a different value)
    • To revert back to default values just go to Display settings and change to small

I tried that as well and found it reset back to stock any time you switched modes then switched back. Did you have a different experience?

I also tried the no root pixel launcher and that was my second favorite, but I like that Nova kept the icon layout and grid size in extended mode.

• michobebemichobebe CanadaPosts: 2 ✭✭✭

Does VLC make use of the WHOLE screen area IF PUT in a 4:3 ratio ? (in the extended view mode) I need an application that would make me use the whole screen area and not have huge black boxes in 16:9 youtube videos

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try MX Player, for me is the best Android video player out there,

VLC is the best for Windows but , in the Android world, MX Player takes the cake.