February Security Patch Hits Blade V8 Pro

123578

Comments

  • telyxtelyx Posts: 25 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As for this forced update, no one should be required to update their software without their permission. ZTE should send text message to the phones explaining what the update does, or maybe just a text link to a web page where they can read the details.

    I don't remember specifically regarding my Blade V8 Pro, but when I bought my LG Stylo 3+ the EULA stated that the manufacturer and/or carrier has the right to push updates to the phone. I've never heard of security updates being optional on any phone that isn't running a custom ROM.

    That said, apparently this update needed further testing before release.

  • westside80westside80 United StatesPosts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @intheusa said:
    Someone here closer to ZTE tech support needs to ask them to cancel out this forced update. Its really quite easy on the server side. There are multiple ways to do it and it would only take 1/2 hr. I've been saved so far because the update is by wifi only.

    As for this forced update, no one should be required to update their software without their permission. ZTE should send text message to the phones explaining what the update does, or maybe just a text link to a web page where they can read the details.

    I just ordered a 2nd V8 pro last week, before reading this forum thread. Problem here is the phone is no longer produced, and those that have them will soon have nice paper weights.

    At least they'll be nice paper weights and not cheap paper weights. 😂

  • tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭

    yea i was on my computer, my phone on my bed, all of a sudden i heard something, looked back and it was updating by itself. i never got a warning or choice at all. super depressing. sucks going from charging my phone once a week, to doing it daily. i charged it last night. this morning its down 40% instead of its usual 4% this is unheard of. i dont use my phone so its always idle.

    i just want this nightmare to end, i want the phone to keep a charge again, i dont understand how an update makes it discharge energy so fast.

  • HB91215HB91215 United StatesPosts: 13 ✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @tjhall1000 said:
    yea i was on my computer, my phone on my bed, all of a sudden i heard something, looked back and it was updating by itself. i never got a warning or choice at all. super depressing. sucks going from charging my phone once a week, to doing it daily. i charged it last night. this morning its down 40% instead of its usual 4% this is unheard of. i dont use my phone so its always idle.

    i just want this nightmare to end, i want the phone to keep a charge again, i dont understand how an update makes it discharge energy so fast.

    If you don't use your phone what's the big deal? Why did you buy a phone just to charge it? Why even buy a phone if you aren't going to use? You said "I don't use my phone so it's always idle." Why have a phone if you aren't gonna use it? Seems like a waste of money to me.

    Even if it's not used frequently, it still should work properly.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @telyx said:

    As for this forced update, no one should be required to update their software without their permission. ZTE should send text message to the phones explaining what the update does, or maybe just a text link to a web page where they can read the details.

    I don't remember specifically regarding my Blade V8 Pro, but when I bought my LG Stylo 3+ the EULA stated that the manufacturer and/or carrier has the right to push updates to the phone. I've never heard of security updates being optional on any phone that isn't running a custom ROM.

    That said, apparently this update needed further testing before release.

    @telyx of course the manufacturer has the right to send you an update. They don't have a right to force install it. Everyone who hasn't updated would be advised to NOT use wifi to avoid it updating automatically.

  • digiduck_2582digiduck_2582 United StatesPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭

    It was a forced update. I had my auto updates turned off. First thing after setting up a phone that I do. I went to bed, and when I woke up, there was a dialog box that said "your system was updated" so it could not have been a accidental Or unintentional starting of the update. As previously suggested.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @digiduck_2582 said:
    It was a forced update. I had my auto updates turned off. First thing after setting up a phone that I do. I went to bed, and when I woke up, there was a dialog box that said "your system was updated" so it could not have been a accidental Or unintentional starting of the update. As previously suggested.

    We're aware of that and advising anyone whose phone hasn't updated to not use wifi.

  • sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New YorkPosts: 3,409 admin

    The current update has been removed from the server. No one else should have the issue at this time.

  • Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 13 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 8:14PM

    I haven't gotten forced updates on either of my V8s. I checked to see if there were any updates available and downloaded it manually (OOPS!!). My other V8 has not downloaded this update and I intend to keep it that way. The one I didn't update is still at 92% battery after 24 hrs of standby!!!! I'm gonna be extremely impressed if ZTE actually fixes this recent update battery issue.

  • westside80westside80 United StatesPosts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @HB91215 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @tjhall1000 said:
    yea i was on my computer, my phone on my bed, all of a sudden i heard something, looked back and it was updating by itself. i never got a warning or choice at all. super depressing. sucks going from charging my phone once a week, to doing it daily. i charged it last night. this morning its down 40% instead of its usual 4% this is unheard of. i dont use my phone so its always idle.

    i just want this nightmare to end, i want the phone to keep a charge again, i dont understand how an update makes it discharge energy so fast.

    If you don't use your phone what's the big deal? Why did you buy a phone just to charge it? Why even buy a phone if you aren't going to use? You said "I don't use my phone so it's always idle." Why have a phone if you aren't gonna use it? Seems like a waste of money to me.

    Even if it's not used frequently, it still should work properly.

    Okay.

  • d4bn3yd4bn3y United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:
    If you don't use your phone what's the big deal? Why did you buy a phone just to charge it? Why even buy a phone if you aren't going to use? You said "I don't use my phone so it's always idle." Why have a phone if you aren't gonna use it? Seems like a waste of money to me.

    Pedantic, and borderline trolling. If you don't have anything to offer, then don't bother posting.

    @telyx of course the manufacturer has the right to send you an update. They don't have a right to force install it. Everyone who hasn't updated would be advised to NOT use wifi to avoid it updating automatically.

    Simply not true. I was asleep when the update happened, pretty sure I was one of the first affected. It was too late before I knew to avoid wifi.

    As I stated previously. No SIM, Baseband unkown, gps and location services unuseable. Battery life greatly affected. Phone is rendered unuseable and basically bricked at this point.

    I contacted support the day after I was hit with the update, they sent me RMA Information as my device is still under factory warranty and this was considered a defect from the manufacturer.

    I'm hesistent to send it in, because I assumed I'd get a new phone, it would update, and I'd be right where I am now. But now that I know the update has been removed, I might just send it in.

    I was really hoping they would have come up with a solution by now. I know ZTE isn't a flagship company, but I've endorsed their products for years. The hardware provided for the price point is unbeatable. This is the second device to have random occurring issues that render the device unuseable. I want to endorse this company, but they're making it really difficult.

  • chrispychrispy United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭

    Still having issues with 5ghz wifi mesh networks since the update. Can't use wifi at home at all because of it. (Google WiFi)

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @d4bn3y said:

    @westside80 said:
    If you don't use your phone what's the big deal? Why did you buy a phone just to charge it? Why even buy a phone if you aren't going to use? You said "I don't use my phone so it's always idle." Why have a phone if you aren't gonna use it? Seems like a waste of money to me.

    Pedantic, and borderline trolling. If you don't have anything to offer, then don't bother posting.

    @telyx of course the manufacturer has the right to send you an update. They don't have a right to force install it. Everyone who hasn't updated would be advised to NOT use wifi to avoid it updating automatically.

    Simply not true. I was asleep when the update happened, pretty sure I was one of the first affected. It was too late before I knew to avoid wifi.

    As I stated previously. No SIM, Baseband unkown, gps and location services unuseable. Battery life greatly affected. Phone is rendered unuseable and basically bricked at this point.

    I contacted support the day after I was hit with the update, they sent me RMA Information as my device is still under factory warranty and this was considered a defect from the manufacturer.

    I'm hesistent to send it in, because I assumed I'd get a new phone, it would update, and I'd be right where I am now. But now that I know the update has been removed, I might just send it in.

    I was really hoping they would have come up with a solution by now. I know ZTE isn't a flagship company, but I've endorsed their products for years. The hardware provided for the price point is unbeatable. This is the second device to have random occurring issues that render the device unuseable. I want to endorse this company, but they're making it really difficult.

    Right. I was warning other people not to use wifi. I know that it was too late for you @d4bn3y.

  • chrispychrispy United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭

    Discovered that my wifi issues only occur when data is enabled on the Sim card. When data not enabled, wifi works fine. This is definitely software related. Having no other issues.

  • tinsleyltinsleyl United StatesPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @d4bn3y said:

    @westside80 said:
    If you don't use your phone what's the big deal? Why did you buy a phone just to charge it? Why even buy a phone if you aren't going to use? You said "I don't use my phone so it's always idle." Why have a phone if you aren't gonna use it? Seems like a waste of money to me.

    Pedantic, and borderline trolling. If you don't have anything to offer, then don't bother posting.

    @telyx of course the manufacturer has the right to send you an update. They don't have a right to force install it. Everyone who hasn't updated would be advised to NOT use wifi to avoid it updating automatically.

    Simply not true. I was asleep when the update happened, pretty sure I was one of the first affected. It was too late before I knew to avoid wifi.

    As I stated previously. No SIM, Baseband unkown, gps and location services unuseable. Battery life greatly affected. Phone is rendered unuseable and basically bricked at this point.

    I contacted support the day after I was hit with the update, they sent me RMA Information as my device is still under factory warranty and this was considered a defect from the manufacturer.

    I'm hesistent to send it in, because I assumed I'd get a new phone, it would update, and I'd be right where I am now. But now that I know the update has been removed, I might just send it in.

    I was really hoping they would have come up with a solution by now. I know ZTE isn't a flagship company, but I've endorsed their products for years. The hardware provided for the price point is unbeatable. This is the second device to have random occurring issues that render the device unuseable. I want to endorse this company, but they're making it really difficult.

    Wow that's interesting they told you that you could send yours in on the warranty because they told me the exact opposite.

  • tinsleyltinsleyl United StatesPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @tinsleyl said:

    @d4bn3y said:

    @westside80 said:
    If you don't use your phone what's the big deal? Why did you buy a phone just to charge it? Why even buy a phone if you aren't going to use? You said "I don't use my phone so it's always idle." Why have a phone if you aren't gonna use it? Seems like a waste of money to me.

    Pedantic, and borderline trolling. If you don't have anything to offer, then don't bother posting.

    @telyx of course the manufacturer has the right to send you an update. They don't have a right to force install it. Everyone who hasn't updated would be advised to NOT use wifi to avoid it updating automatically.

    Simply not true. I was asleep when the update happened, pretty sure I was one of the first affected. It was too late before I knew to avoid wifi.

    As I stated previously. No SIM, Baseband unkown, gps and location services unuseable. Battery life greatly affected. Phone is rendered unuseable and basically bricked at this point.

    I contacted support the day after I was hit with the update, they sent me RMA Information as my device is still under factory warranty and this was considered a defect from the manufacturer.

    I'm hesistent to send it in, because I assumed I'd get a new phone, it would update, and I'd be right where I am now. But now that I know the update has been removed, I might just send it in.

    I was really hoping they would have come up with a solution by now. I know ZTE isn't a flagship company, but I've endorsed their products for years. The hardware provided for the price point is unbeatable. This is the second device to have random occurring issues that render the device unuseable. I want to endorse this company, but they're making it really difficult.

    Wow that's interesting they told you that you could send yours in on the warranty because they told me the exact opposite.

    Can a moderator verify this. Mine is also under factory warranty but they told me its not a manufacturer defect and they would not honor this as a warranty claim

  • tinsleyltinsleyl United StatesPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I haven't tried putting my sim card back in the last 2 days. I have prior to that several times. Has anyone been successful doing so? Also someone mentioned after several resets that most of their issues have corrected themselves. Has anyone been successful doing this. I reset mine twice but again not in the last 2 days since my conversation with support when I was told I couldn't return the phone or make a warranty claim

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @tinsleyl said:

    @tinsleyl said:

    @d4bn3y said:

    @westside80 said:
    If you don't use your phone what's the big deal? Why did you buy a phone just to charge it? Why even buy a phone if you aren't going to use? You said "I don't use my phone so it's always idle." Why have a phone if you aren't gonna use it? Seems like a waste of money to me.

    Pedantic, and borderline trolling. If you don't have anything to offer, then don't bother posting.

    @telyx of course the manufacturer has the right to send you an update. They don't have a right to force install it. Everyone who hasn't updated would be advised to NOT use wifi to avoid it updating automatically.

    Simply not true. I was asleep when the update happened, pretty sure I was one of the first affected. It was too late before I knew to avoid wifi.

    As I stated previously. No SIM, Baseband unkown, gps and location services unuseable. Battery life greatly affected. Phone is rendered unuseable and basically bricked at this point.

    I contacted support the day after I was hit with the update, they sent me RMA Information as my device is still under factory warranty and this was considered a defect from the manufacturer.

    I'm hesistent to send it in, because I assumed I'd get a new phone, it would update, and I'd be right where I am now. But now that I know the update has been removed, I might just send it in.

    I was really hoping they would have come up with a solution by now. I know ZTE isn't a flagship company, but I've endorsed their products for years. The hardware provided for the price point is unbeatable. This is the second device to have random occurring issues that render the device unuseable. I want to endorse this company, but they're making it really difficult.

    Wow that's interesting they told you that you could send yours in on the warranty because they told me the exact opposite.

    Can a moderator verify this. Mine is also under factory warranty but they told me its not a manufacturer defect and they would not honor this as a warranty claim

    @tinsleyl if a manufacturer gives you an update that harms your phone that manufacturer is obligated to fix your phone under warranty. But there's no point in sending it in right now because ZTE doesn't have a fix yet. When ZTE does fix the software they will send out another OTA update. So ZTE can't fix it until the update is ready and if they have your phone it would take longer for you to get it back because after they update it they would then have to ship it to you. Unfortunately you'll have to wait for the update.

  • snowcatsnowcat Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm still curious why some phones have the issue with the update and others not. My phone has the No SIM problem etc. The only special thing I can think of is that at the time when the update was forced, I had WiFi coverage, but no cell service. Is this something we have in common?

  • DarskyDarsky MNPosts: 9 ✭✭✭✭

    @snowcat said:
    I'm still curious why some phones have the issue with the update and others not. My phone has the No SIM problem etc. The only special thing I can think of is that at the time when the update was forced, I had WiFi coverage, but no cell service. Is this something we have in common?

    From back on page two, it sounds like the people with issues may be those with older phones. It's possible the hardware was changed slightly sometime after launch, and the update was only tested on the newer hardware before being released. I bought my phone late last summer, after it had already been available for quite a while, and the only issue I have with the update is the increased battery consumption, which seems to be a separate issue.

  • sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New YorkPosts: 3,409 admin

    Logs have been captured and are being analyzed now.

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Darsky said:

    @snowcat said:
    I'm still curious why some phones have the issue with the update and others not. My phone has the No SIM problem etc. The only special thing I can think of is that at the time when the update was forced, I had WiFi coverage, but no cell service. Is this something we have in common?

    From back on page two, it sounds like the people with issues may be those with older phones. It's possible the hardware was changed slightly sometime after launch, and the update was only tested on the newer hardware before being released. I bought my phone late last summer, after it had already been available for quite a while, and the only issue I have with the update is the increased battery consumption, which seems to be a separate issue.

    My two devices both updated fine, both are old. Both had wifi and cell service at the time.

  • adrianmicj1adrianmicj1 Guayaquil EcuadorPosts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @adrianmicj1 said:
    i am having battery drainage too, maybe a FR could work.

    @adrianmicj1 that's always a good idea after a system update along with wiping the cache partition in recovery.

    Yup, you're right

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @adrianmicj1 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @adrianmicj1 said:
    i am having battery drainage too, maybe a FR could work.

    @adrianmicj1 that's always a good idea after a system update along with wiping the cache partition in recovery.

    Yup, you're right

    Did you do a factory reset @adrianmicj1 and did it help?

  • proforms_incproforms_inc United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

    @proforms_inc said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @adrianmicj1 said:
    i am having battery drainage too, maybe a FR could work.

    @adrianmicj1 that's always a good idea after a system update along with wiping the cache partition in recovery.

    Just did a factory reset and cleared cache in recovery and installed apps again. Will give an update in a day or two as to if rapid battery draining issue is resolved.

    It's been days since factory reset and battery life has improved but in no comparison to before the update. It's first full charge lasted for about 28-30 hours. Second full charge lasted 41 hours with 10% left as I'm writing right now. And that's without excessive usage. Keep in mind that after every full charge I go into phone settings and clear cache and I also clear cache in recovery as I always done with every android phone I have owned. I purchased device 2 months ago and I'm not experiencing any other issues like the SIM card issue that everyone else is experiencing. I just hope ZTE gets all this straightened out and maybe at the least throw in a Nougat update.

  • westside80westside80 United StatesPosts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 11:25AM

    @proforms_inc said:

    @proforms_inc said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @adrianmicj1 said:
    i am having battery drainage too, maybe a FR could work.

    @adrianmicj1 that's always a good idea after a system update along with wiping the cache partition in recovery.

    Just did a factory reset and cleared cache in recovery and installed apps again. Will give an update in a day or two as to if rapid battery draining issue is resolved.

    It's been days since factory reset and battery life has improved but in no comparison to before the update. It's first full charge lasted for about 28-30 hours. Second full charge lasted 41 hours with 10% left as I'm writing right now. And that's without excessive usage. Keep in mind that after every full charge I go into phone settings and clear cache and I also clear cache in recovery as I always done with every android phone I have owned. I purchased device 2 months ago and I'm not experiencing any other issues like the SIM card issue that everyone else is experiencing. I just hope ZTE gets all this straightened out and maybe at the least throw in a Nougat update.

    You really shouldn't have to clear the cache partition after every charge. I don't guess it would hurt anything but it's not necessary. Everyone isn't experiencing the Sim card issue. Only a few are.

  • adrianmicj1adrianmicj1 Guayaquil EcuadorPosts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 1:50PM

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @adrianmicj1 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @adrianmicj1 said:
    i am having battery drainage too, maybe a FR could work.

    @adrianmicj1 that's always a good idea after a system update along with wiping the cache partition in recovery.

    Yup, you're right

    Did you do a factory reset @adrianmicj1 and did it help?

    i will perform it today and see if there is an improvement.

  • tinsleyltinsleyl United StatesPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Another day and no word on when or if my phone will work again after this hellish update. I'm so very disappointed with ZTE and this phone overall. I didn't like it before the update. It's day 9 now with no update from anyone. Sucks

  • westside80westside80 United StatesPosts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    It's a sad day in the Z-community when your posts get gang flagged. 6 flags on two different posts? Hmm..... One post was me trying to help someone and telling them to calm down. If people took it the wrong way then that's on them. The other post was me giving my opinion on something that I thought was ridiculous in the first place. Each post got 6 flags. Why 6? Makes you wonder who the gang is. Neither post deserved to get flagged. It does kind of make you feel ganged up on when so many people flag the same post. Almost like one person flagged it and then told others to flag it as well. Or, one person saw it was flagged and thought "1 flag isn't good enough for that post, it needs 6." Speak freely? To an extent.

  • HB91215HB91215 United StatesPosts: 13 ✭✭✭✭

    @sshasan said:
    Logs have been captured and are being analyzed now.

    Any news yet?

Sign In or Register to comment.