February Security Patch Hits Blade V8 Pro

Comments

• Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 39 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went ahead and switched to my non-updated V8 Pro and will be getting rid of the one that took the update. Only issue I had with the Feb. update was battery life.

• d4bn3yd4bn3y United StatesPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

@digiduck_2582 said:

@d4bn3y said:
    It's been exactly two weeks as of today. Still no fix. I need my phone !! Get with it ZTE !

@sshasan any word yet on a time table for this fix. I've been through this forum forward and backwards as suggested for the optimization issue I'm having. I haven't found anything.

Samesies

• tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ock1 said:
    I'm afraid to update the update!!:):)

LMAO you are so right, same here. i only use my phone for wifi reasons, so my issue was the power drain, charging the phone daily instead of weekly like it was before is dramatizing

• eqt2010eqt2010 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 3:43PM

@tinsleyl said:
    So is there an update on the update

Nope.

This is what probably ZTE is thinking now: "Yo dawg, we heard you like updates so we put an update in your update so you can update while you update."

edited April 20, 2018 8:47AM

Doing another battery test between my non-updated and updated V8 Pro. Phones have been in standby for 22 hours and the difference is huge so far. Non-updated still has 94% battery life and the Updated is down to 48%. Anyone know what aspect of the recent update could be affecting battery life so drastically?? Since I have two V8's, is there anything I can check for that may have been changed ????

• HB91215HB91215 United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

@sshasan said:
    I just received confirmation that the root cause of the issue has been narrowed down and we should see an update within the next few days.

Any word yet?

edited April 20, 2018 8:02PM

Yikes!!!! After 33 hours on standby the Non-updated V8 is at 90% and the Up-dated V8 is at 17%. Can't believe an update can effect battery life this much. Gonna be a real shame if ZTE doesn't step up to the plate after really screwing up our phones.

I should add that I never did a factory reset after the update, should I????

• tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ock1 said:
    Yikes!!!! After 33 hours on standby the Non-updated V8 is at 90% and the Up-dated V8 is at 17%. Can't believe an update can effect battery life this much. Gonna be a real shame if ZTE doesn't step up to the plate after really screwing up our phones.

you are so right, before the update my phone would go from 100% to 95% within 24 hours. now after update my phone goes from 100% to 20% in 24 hours.

no clue how the heck an update can effect battery life. in my eyes thats 100% impossible so the fact it happens makes me think ZTE did it on purpose

• digiduck_2582digiduck_2582 United StatesPosts: 38 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Ock1 said:

@Ock1 word is that the source of the problem has been identified and an OTA update is days away. So I would wait on the factory reset. Although it's always a good idea to factory reset after an update. It's a hassle but it's a good idea. And always wipe the cache partition in recovery after an update.

@jimlloyd40 according to @sshasan it was only supposed to be a few days away from a fix. That was week ago. Here's hoping for the next few days.

edited April 21, 2018 10:32AM

OK, I've got it all figured out. If ya put your updated V8 Pros in airplane mode you'll still get awesome battery life. Just make sure you turn off airplane mode when you have a FEELING that someone is trying to text or call you :). I only lost 3% battery life in 12 hours when I put my updated V8 in airplane mode.

With the entire sanctions thing going on, I don't think we Are going to get our update. What I just read Pretty much shuts down any ZTE phone. Google apps like play store, gmail, among others are going to be blocked. But the entirety of Android will still be used since it is open source. Looks like I'll be getting a Samsung soon if that happens.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@digiduck_2582 said:
    With the entire sanctions thing going on, I don't think we Are going to get our update. What I just read Pretty much shuts down any ZTE phone. Google apps like play store, gmail, among others are going to be blocked. But the entirety of Android will still be used since it is open source. Looks like I'll be getting a Samsung soon if that happens.

@digiduck_2582 I'm sure that it isn't a retroactive decision. The US government is not going to shut down existing devices because there would be a massive number of lawsuits from US citizens wanting their devices to work.

@jimlloyd40 if the US has its way. The ban on American companies selling to China will include no access to the Google apps suite. The whole of Android is aosp, however google sells or licenses Google Play, maps, google search, too android for a price. So the US could do it without even telling consumers. Since it's a ban on American companies selling too the Chinese, one would consider all google apps which are not open source and are in fact American owned would be or could be banned IF the US has its way. Even the Amazon App Store would be banned.

• proforms_incproforms_inc United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

This update is really weird. Check out my battery usage. Today I made more calls than usual and after 12 hours of usage still have 88% left. Yet the last 88% is estimated to last only 18 hours. At least on my device, I felt more battery drainage when not in use as suppose to when using it more often. Keep in mind that I never used Smart Power or Ultra Power Saving before or after the update.

Agree, my tests also show that updated V8's are having major battery drain issues while not in use.

• ZmannZmann United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2018 9:40PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Ock1 said:
    OK, I've got it all figured out. If ya put your updated V8 Pros in airplane mode you'll still get awesome battery life. Just make sure you turn off airplane mode when you have a FEELING that someone is trying to text or call you :). I only lost 3% battery life in 12 hours when I put my updated V8 in airplane mode.

Unfortunately @Ock1 I don't think that most Blade V8 Pro owners are psychic. 😂

More like psYcHo ..maybe!? I JUST got mine in from Amazon TODAY!! I have the Oct. 2017 update installed. With all the hoopla over ZTE with regards to the US govt banning Qualcomm exports..... Damn! I like this phone!!!!! Damn Damn Damnnnnn!!
    Will wait n watch the boards for any update on the updated update..

edited April 21, 2018 9:52PM

@Zmann said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Ock1 said:

More like psYcHo ..maybe!? I JUST got mine in from Amazon TODAY!! I have the Oct. 2017 update installed. With all the hoopla over ZTE with regards to the US govt banning Qualcomm exports..... Damn! I like this phone!!!!! Damn Damn Damnnnnn!!

You're totally cool as long as ya don't take the February update. It really is an extremely solid phone. Even if you do end up taking the update, the battery makes it through a day just fine but not two or three like before.

@Ock1 said:

@Zmann said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Ock1 said:

You're totally cool as long as ya don't take the February update. It really is an extremely solid phone. Even if you do end up taking the update, the battery makes it through a day just fine but not two or three like before.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1HQ38S

Still pretty uncertain times for the brand.

edited April 22, 2018 7:28AM

That's a good article Z but I don't think it really affects the V8 Pro. Pretty sure most of us were very surprised to even get the broken Feb. 2018 update and it was, more then likely, the last update to the V8 anyway. After this last one, I'd rather not get anymore updates on this phone!!!!! I definitely wouldn't purchase any new ZTE phones going forward for now but I do hope they straighten up their act cuz they're capable of making some really good cellphones.

@Ock1 said:
    That's a good article Z but I don't think it really affects the V8 Pro. Pretty sure most of us were very surprised to even get the broken Feb. 2018 update and it was, more then likely, the last update to the V8 anyway. After this last one, I'd rather not get anymore updates on this phone!!!!! I definitely wouldn't purchase any new ZTE phones going forward for now but I do hope they straighten up their act cuz they're capable of making some really good cellphones.

Well, maybe it doesn't fully effect the V8P, but the whole mess with bans on hardware and possibly software exports is sort of making me rethink this purchase. I got it off Amazon for $135.. A steal I thought. I was willing to deal with 6.0 android... what for $135, but now with everything up in the air with corrupt security patch updates and the fact that this is and was to be my daily driver do everything device.. I wonder if its worth the perceived risk!? Might be sending this one back. Sad. Its a pretty nice phone.