February Security Patch Hits Blade V8 Pro

Comments

• ZmannZmann United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@tinsleyl said:
    Almost 3 weeks now. Could we get an update on the ducking update please.

@tinsleyl they never give updates on updates. It will go out OTA as soon as it's ready. ZTE is pretty busy right now.

I hope things work out with all of this. This is a pretty amazing device for what I paid.

• d4bn3yd4bn3y United StatesPosts: 11 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 3:05PM

I check for updates several times a day. Now when I search for an update it takes a few minutes and says 'network unavailable.' WiFi work fine, able to load web pages and run speed tests.

Wiped cache, factory reset. Still nothing.

• proforms_incproforms_inc United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

I have been testing different settings on my phone in reference to rapid battery drainage. I might have found why, at least in my situation. Keep in mind that don’t have the SIM issue that others are experiencing, just the battery drainage issue. After playing with different settings, my battery seems to be draining faster when WI-FI is on compared to connected to phone network (T-Mobile). I checked twice for two days and the results were the same, turned WI-FI off and battery lasts forever. I’m going to try with WI-FI on with the Keep WI-FI on during sleep set to NEVER and see what comes up. Maybe others can try this and see if they experience the same results I did. Hope this helps. Atleast until a permanent solution comes around.

• intheusaintheusa United StatesPosts: 10 ✭✭

There are about a dozen people here with the update (0822) problem. There has to be hundreds if not thousands without this issue, unless many are not posting here. For those that have not been forced to install this last patch, you can disable the system update app. Under settings > apps > touch 3 vertical dots in menu and select show system apps. Select the System Update app and disable it. You can also re-enable it from same menu. Power down and up retains the selected setting. You should be able to use wi-fi without the worry of another forced system update. I'm on build Z978V1.0.0820

• proforms_incproforms_inc United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@proforms_inc said:
    I have been testing different settings on my phone in reference to rapid battery drainage. I might have found why, at least in my situation. Keep in mind that don’t have the SIM issue that others are experiencing, just the battery drainage issue. After playing with different settings, my battery seems to be draining faster when WI-FI is on compared to connected to phone network (T-Mobile). I checked twice for two days and the results were the same, turned WI-FI off and battery lasts forever. I’m going to try with WI-FI on with the Keep WI-FI on during sleep set to NEVER and see what comes up. Maybe others can try this and see if they experience the same results I did. Hope this helps. Atleast until a permanent solution comes around.

Something definitely happened to wifi because some Blade V8 Pro owners have said that their 5 GHz wifi quit connecting completely.

I marked the dips where WI-FI was on. 38 hours of usage and 56% of battery left is pretty much what I was getting before the update and with WI-FI on. Where are you going to find a phone with a day and a half of usage and a little more than 50% of battery left? Blade V8 Pro is a true sleeper. I just hope ZTE gets it right soon.

• tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 9 ✭✭✭

@intheusa said:
    There are about a dozen people here with the update (0822) problem. There has to be hundreds if not thousands without this issue, unless many are not posting here. For those that have not been forced to install this last patch, you can disable the system update app. Under settings > apps > touch 3 vertical dots in menu and select show system apps. Select the System Update app and disable it. You can also re-enable it from same menu. Power down and up retains the selected setting. You should be able to use wi-fi without the worry of another forced system update. I'm on build Z978V1.0.0820

sadly wrong. mine was turned off but they still updated my phone without my permission. the second i bought my V8 pro. i turned it off. then a month later this update destroyed my phone sadly

• Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

@proforms_inc said:

Well done Pro!!! I gave this a try last night and after 8 hours I'm still at 99%. For my uses, having Wifi turned off all the time is not a big deal at all. I'm gonna slide my Cricket sim back in my updated V8 and give it a try with Wifi off for a few days.

@Ock1 said:

@proforms_inc said:

Well done Pro!!! I gave this a try last night and after 8 hours I'm still at 99%. For my uses, having Wifi turned off all the time is not a big deal at all. I'm gonna slide my Cricket sim back in my updated V8 and give it a try with Wifi off for a few days.

That's great and everything. I'm glad you've got extra devices and battery life is your only real issue.

MY PHONE HAS BEEN RENDERED UNUSEABLE GOING ON THREE WEEKS TOMORROW. NO SIM=NO SERVICE. NO LOCATION SERVICES=NO GPS. NO 5G WiFi. Battery is trashed. Basically bricked at this point.

Completely unacceptable. Trash support from a trash company. ZTE fooled me twice, never again.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tinsleyl said:

@sshasan said:
    Logs have been captured and are being analyzed now.

This was on the 10th. No comment since.

They are busy dealing with a the "ban" now, which could include Android itself. That was bad timing for this issue.

• HB91215HB91215 United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

Guess it's probably time to throw in the towel on this phone, and on ZTE...

@jasonscarter said:

@tinsleyl said:

@sshasan said:

They are busy dealing with a the "ban" now, which could include Android itself. That was bad timing for this issue.

See I don't think this really applies here. They're being banned from specific parts from specific american vendors. (Processors and glass) It should have nothing to do with current devices or maintaining them. R&D should have had a fix for this within days, not weeks.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@d4bn3y said:

@jasonscarter said:

@tinsleyl said:

@sshasan said:

See I don't think this really applies here. They're being banned from specific parts from specific american vendors. (Processors and glass) It should have nothing to do with current devices or maintaining them. R&D should have had a fix for this within days, not weeks.

Not if it involves updated code or firmware from Qualcomm, Google, etc....They can't get new software, even for existing devices.

• digiduck_2582digiduck_2582 United StatesPosts: 22 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone, please be civilized. Picture yourself in the shoes of someone at ZTE. Have you ever faced loosing your job over something you had no power over or didn't even know what was going on? Ever been the victim of here say or gossip that cost you your job? I know every one has been pissed about this. I am to. Though I was fortunate enough not to have the sim card issue, I do have the Wi-Fi and battery drain issue. If your phone doesn't work at all. Consider a cheaper back up phone, a cheaper blu perhaps. They may not have all the bells a whistles. But most come with nougat. Maybe seeing if a friend has a phone they could spare until this issue gets resolved. It may take time considering ZTE is now not the only one facing this type of issue. @sshasan and everyone at ZTE are fighting not only for themselves but for us as well.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@digiduck_2582 said:
    Everyone, please be civilized. Picture yourself in the shoes of someone at ZTE. Have you ever faced loosing your job over something you had no power over or didn't even know what was going on? Ever been the victim of here say or gossip that cost you your job? I know every one has been pissed about this. I am to. Though I was fortunate enough not to have the sim card issue, I do have the Wi-Fi and battery drain issue. If your phone doesn't work at all. Consider a cheaper back up phone, a cheaper blu perhaps. They may not have all the bells a whistles. But most come with nougat. Maybe seeing if a friend has a phone they could spare until this issue gets resolved. It may take time considering ZTE is now not the only one facing this type of issue. @sshasan and everyone at ZTE are fighting not only for themselves but for us as well.

I couldn't have said this better myself. With the exception of Blu. They have had many more issues in the past. I would stay away from Blu.

And all the while Huawei and ZTE are "trying" to be reputable, companies like Facebook continue to steal our information. Did they violate sanctions with Iran? Yes, I believe it was 6 years ago? And totally unrelated to their mobile phone business? I really dislike American Politics.

A quick Google search brings up lots of new articles about ZTE's latest troubles. Hard to determine if they deserve a complete ban on American goods and services but I do hope they survive to keep providing competition in the cellphone market. I'm guessing they are gonna stay dark in this thread for an indefinite amount of time and the V8 Pro will pass into history without the latest update being patched. Very unfortunate for those who have a completely nonfunctional V8 and I'm sure ZTE will lose you as customers forever. I've got 4 ZTE's but will most likely be spending my future phone dollars on Lenovo/Moto unless something changes in the near future.

edited April 30, 2018 7:18PM

This will be my final post in this thread. It's been almost a month since my Blade V8 pro was rendered unuseable from an overnight forced security patch update.

I was lucky enough to receive an RMA for my device, and ZTE was going to honor my limited warranty. I put it off for over 3 weeks hoping that they would release a new patch to remedy the issues. After waiting all this time I decided it was time to fill out my RMA submission form and send my phone in for either repair or replacement.

My first gripe, the RMA submission form REQUIRES flash player. I'm aware at how long flash has been vulnerable and haven't been using it on any of my computer's for a couple of years now. But I needed to get this done, so against my own good judgement I installed flash player.

I filled out each section of the RMA submission form, checked the box stating I read and agreed to the terms and conditions. All I need to do is click submit. Seems easy enough, right ?

Welllllll the submit button is hidden underneath the ToS form I clicked to agreeing with, and there's no way to scroll the page down to see, or click, the submit button. After attempting to reload the module, webpage, and even trying a different browser, I'd had enough.

I abruptly closed my laptop, got in my car, ported my number to metro, and got a free Moto E4. When I got to Metro, they offered me another ZTE and I explained my situation and told them that ZTE would never get my business again. He understood.

Very happy with my Moto E4 so far the specs aren't quite as good as the Blade V8 Pro, but they're good enough for everything I need to do. And you know what, the phone just works

Thanks for taking the time to read my story, and remember,

FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE
    FU CK ZTE

• sam25sam25 United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭

What could be the best way to request a refund for the purchase price of this phone? It is still within 1 year warranty. Non working phone for a month due to an update is not acceptable. One of the posts says that ZTE received a affected phone from community members for testing, but there is no update on results of this test. Although moderators have confirmed that there will be a fix, there is no update. No Sim Card message remains, GPS is not working and the battery drains out rapidly. So all the problems are still there. All of this started after 4th of April update. ZTE Moderators - kindly provide an update.

Been using my updated V8 for about a week with Wifi turned off and battery life is as good as it was before the update. I know we shouldn't have to do this but it seems to be the only solution for now if ya need the extended battery life.