ZTE "ICEBERG" Concept Phone

musicdjmmusicdjm United States Posts: 3,124 mod
edited April 9, 2018 12:02PM in Rumor Mill

https://www.xda-developers.com/zte-iceberg-two-display-notch/

What do you think ? Do you like the double notch or hate it ?

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm United States Posts: 3,124 mod

I absolutely love this design the dual front facing speakers are perfectly symmetrical which I love and minimal bezels all around and looks like pins on the back for a potential line of accessories what more could you want lol

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I don't dislike the design since it's still dual front facing speakers but the glass corners protruding from the corners are ridiculous. I also wouldn't mind having a bottom firing bottom speaker instead of the notch. The glass corners protruding beyond the body of the phone forces a person to use a case and the next time that I use a case will be the first time. I understand it's a concept but if it becomes a reality I couldn't purchase if I have to use a case.

It could be glass or it might be some other material thats harder like possibly quartz, from what I assume it would be for better signal strength.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I don't dislike the design since it's still dual front facing speakers but the glass corners protruding from the corners are ridiculous. I also wouldn't mind having a bottom firing bottom speaker instead of the notch. The glass corners protruding beyond the body of the phone forces a person to use a case and the next time that I use a case will be the first time. I understand it's a concept but if it becomes a reality I couldn't purchase if I have to use a case.

It could be glass or it might be some other material thats harder like possibly quartz, from what I assume it would be for better signal strength.

Assuming that your assumption is correct it still is a place that damage would result from a drop. If it's for reception and a case is necessary to protect against damage the reception would be impeded by the case in which case it's a bad design decision.

no different than all the phones with glass backs and other materials, cant use metal and get decent reception so theres a trade off for things like better reception, wireless charging, waterproofing there are all things that cause alot of the design changes in the last few year with devices

personally for me Id prefer the corners being glass vs the whole rear panel, with this type of design a bumper case would would perfect vs having to use a case with a Galaxy or many of the others that if you drop you break the whole rear panel, theres only 2 sides the front and the back if they both glass you bound to break one of them. But with a quartz or even glass on the corners its less likely to break when you drop it vs a glass rear panel. Consumers want wireless charging and waterproofing which other than glass, plastic or some other design changes its not possible I think this is a great balance.

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 412 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do think the design is unique and looks great (for some reason the corners look great, as impractical as they may turn out to be). What I don't like are the bezels. I've never quiet understood the point of bezels, sure the idea is that you're gaining as much screen real estate as you can but when you think about you really aren't. For example, with videos you're always losing out on the notched area. If you don't want to lose out on you're content, then the screen gained from the notch becomes useless.The same thing applies to games as well. Speaking of games, not many studios may support 2 notches. I mean some games don't even support 1:2 display ratio. Also, sure android P is supposed to have native support for notches, but I doubt that it'll have support for more than 1 notch. In the end that's just my opinion

TL;dr: cool design, not a fan of the notches

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind the double notch especially since it means dual front speakers. I'm not sure what to think about the corners. I need more information as to what the corners are made of and why they stick out. My first impression is I really don't like them.

@dnewman007 said:
    I don't mind the double notch especially since it means dual front speakers. I'm not sure what to think about the corners. I need more information as to what the corners are made of and why they stick out. My first impression is I really don't like them.

I guess we have the exact opinions haha. Although I just think that aesthetically, the corners look nice. I'm not quiet sure what to make of them either so I'm reserving my judgement of them.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion may differ than others, but to me the only thing worse than a notch display is a phone with two notches

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why not?? I like the design.... Looks cool.

But I personally hope that we get more than one device..... like an Axon ? and a Axon ? Mini.

By the way.....

https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/53022/zte-iceberg-concept-phone

@westside80 said:
    I don't know how you all feel about it but those glass corners are really ugly and I hate notches! Thankfully I have a Pixel 2 XL on the way and it's notch free! Let's just hope it's "blue tint screen" free as well 😂

I'm not sure what to make of the glass corners, but I think they look good overall. Are they practical? No way. Notches on the other hand don't really serve a purpose to me especially on a device like the Axon series, whose claim to fame is that it's a powerful media device.

@westside80 said:
    I just created another thread about the Iceberg. I didn't see this thread but I'm sure they can be combined or something. Anyways, I'm out on the Iceberg. When I said I wasn't buying a phone with a notch I meant it, much less with two notches! No way. I don't like the glass corners either. They're pretty ugly. I'll have to stick with my Pixel 2 XL for awhile. It should be here Wednesday and it's notch free.

I wasn't planning on leaving the Axon 7 anytime soon and iceberg just solidified my position

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 9:04PM

@westside80 said:
    I don't know how you all feel about it but those glass corners are really ugly and I hate notches! Thankfully I have a Pixel 2 XL on the way and it's notch free! Let's just hope it's "blue tint screen" free as well 😂

Enjoy your Pixel 2 XL it is a pretty good device. Guess you will on the Pixel XL forums a lot more going forward.... :D :D :D :p

just kidding.... but do enjoy your Google Phone.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:
    I just created another thread about the Iceberg. I didn't see this thread but I'm sure they can be combined or something. Anyways, I'm out on the Iceberg. When I said I wasn't buying a phone with a notch I meant it, much less with two notches! No way. I don't like the glass corners either. They're pretty ugly. I'll have to stick with my Pixel 2 XL for awhile. It should be here Wednesday and it's notch free.

So, you got a Pixel 2 XL. Congrats, I hope you like it. What are you going to do if it has the blue tint screen when you look at it from an angle. Are you able to send it back?

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm against notches , but there is something about this dual notch / dual speakers that make me want to buy one on day 1.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,558 mod

I agree @DrakenFX . I actually like this one a lot and I've been against the notch.

@westside80 said:

@coldheat06 said:
    Why not?? I like the design.... Looks cool.

But I personally hope that we get more than one device..... like an Axon ? and a Axon ? Mini.

By the way.....

https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/53022/zte-iceberg-concept-phone

That's cool. We all like different designs. I didn't see that another thread was started about the Iceberg but thanks for putting the link there. I'm sure the threads can be combined or more than likely my thread will be deleted and @musicdjm's thread will stay put. I feel I can see in the future sometimes. LOL

The only time threads are ever deleted is when they violate the terms of the community, duplicate post are always locked and redirected if they are caught quick enough or merged to the first persons thread who posted about the topic. For this reason your thread has been merged with the original

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 10:45PM

I love the look of this device. Love the dual speakers, and I can take or leave notches. If it's there great, it it's not great. Just make the software work. As far as the glass corners, as I said I love the look, but the the odds of them breaking? And if you put a case on it then it just covers them up? But I'll wait to see if there is functionality on those corners. Otherwise, I really love the love of this phone.

Anyone have an idea what that connector might be for on the back? Accessories?