ZTE "ICEBERG" Concept Phone

2»

Comments

  • runtohell121runtohell121 United StatesPosts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks interesting... but the corners...

  • jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Honestly, I hate notches. I think they are a useless design trend that introduces more issues and solves no real problems. Yet, it is the current trend and I assume the next Axon will have one.

    That being said, there is something about this device. I really love the look of this design. Maybe it's the fact that there are 2 notches so the design is symmetrical, or maybe it's just the overall slick look of it.

    However, this is a concept device and we'll probably never see it. As much as I like the clear corners they would probably snap and break the first time you dropped the thing, and I'm sure there are many other reasons we would never see this device come to light.

  • omnomnomomnomnom Posts: 30 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 8:02PM

    It doesn't look that bad and those glass corners are meh. But, how many developers are going to support a double notch display?
    Edit: Using MP, I tried making it so there'd be no notches or glass corners. Looks better now in my opinion

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @omnomnom said:
    It doesn't look that bad and those glass corners are meh. But, how many developers are going to support a double notch display?
    Edit: Using MP, I tried making it so there'd be no notches or glass corners. Looks better now in my opinion

    Agree this looks better. In real manufacturing they could reduce the bezels slightly more, but then you need something to hold in landscape mode.

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @omnomnom said:
    It doesn't look that bad and those glass corners are meh. But, how many developers are going to support a double notch display?
    Edit: Using MP, I tried making it so there'd be no notches or glass corners. Looks better now in my opinion

    Looks plain, generic, and low end with your modifications. (IMHO)

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I have mentioned several times in several different places, including directly to ZTE, that a dual notched phone exactly like the one in the first post of this thread would be a great design.
    I honestly don't know why people hate the notch so bad. It makes no difference in functionality if the notifications and status icons are placed in the upper (and lower) corners.
    If the notch was gone, and the corners were black and only included notifications/status icons, it would be exactly the same. By extending the functionality so that the corners can also be used for additional display, it adds functionality.
    If that's not your preference, then I'm sure the software can be designed so that the corners could be blackened out and then the center portion of the phone can be used like a 16:9 display.
    So personally I LOVE the dual notch design.

    I really don't know how I feel about the glass/quartz corners.
    I would love to know exactly what they are there for. I presume for better reception.
    For those who say it makes the phone more fragile, I disagree.
    Phones are fragile no matter what. Almost the entire front is made of glass, and many phone now have the whole phone encased in glass. If you drop it on a hard surface, they ALL have a high chance of breaking.
    Also, and this is a know fact, if you drop any phone where the impact falls directly on a corner of the device, the chances of the screen cracking is even higher.
    If you were to add a case to the concept device mentioned, it could cut down on reception IF the corners are designed for better reception. We really don't know for sure, and the whole phone could be enclosed in glass which would be impossible to tell from the pics we have seen, so...
    Anyway, there could also be cases designed with holes in the corners to allow for best reception.
    On the other hand, the whole point of cases is to protect the device, so if the case had open corners then it defeats part of that purpose.

    The pins on the back are intriguing.
    My opinion is that it could be there so you can add a snap on battery pack accessory.
    THat would be really cool to use when you are away from home for extended periods of time and can't quick charge your device in the car or anywhere else. Would come in very handy while on an airplane or a multitude of other circumstances.

  • hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @omnomnom said:
    It doesn't look that bad and those glass corners are meh. But, how many developers are going to support a double notch display?
    Edit: Using MP, I tried making it so there'd be no notches or glass corners. Looks better now in my opinion

    Changes it from an Apple iPhone X to a Samsung Galaxy S9. I like the notch look better. I'm still leery of the glass corners. If they are glass even.

  • 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @DoppelgangerD said:
    I have mentioned several times in several different places, including directly to ZTE, that a dual notched phone exactly like the one in the first post of this thread would be a great design.
    I honestly don't know why people hate the notch so bad. It makes no difference in functionality if the notifications and status icons are placed in the upper (and lower) corners.
    If the notch was gone, and the corners were black and only included notifications/status icons, it would be exactly the same. By extending the functionality so that the corners can also be used for additional display, it adds functionality.
    If that's not your preference, then I'm sure the software can be designed so that the corners could be blackened out and then the center portion of the phone can be used like a 16:9 display.
    So personally I LOVE the dual notch design.

    The reason I'm not a fan of notched phones in general is that the extra space gained by the notch is very minimal, and just isn't worth it. Plus in other things like videos and video games, the dual notches would just be an interference. 2:1 (18:9) aspect is the new normal of smartphones, so using software and turning the screen to a 16:9 screen to hide the notch would not be helpful in the future where videos and games might all be 2:1. In addition, there's not going to be a lot of apps that support dual notches so either it would just be the same as using an 16:9 display, or the apps would be cut off weirdly. I am curious as to how they've implemented the home, back, and recent apps options though now that the bottom of the screen is notched

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 699 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 9:23AM

    @omnomnom said:
    It doesn't look that bad and those glass corners are meh. But, how many developers are going to support a double notch display?
    Edit: Using MP, I tried making it so there'd be no notches or glass corners. Looks better now in my opinion

    I'd buy the edited concept pictured above day 1, but on the original concept those glass corners just don't speak to me.
    I'm not a fan of the notch either but take away the glass corners and the symmetrical look of the dual notches looks better than a device having just 1 notch.
    In the end it comes down to specs, price, performance (no particular order), but definitely no glass corners like that for this ZTE fan.

  • omnomnomomnomnom Posts: 30 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2018 5:41PM

    Huh. I guess my little edited idea already kind of exists. GSMArena article: https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_z18_mini_is_official_goes_on_sale_this_month_in_china-news-30493.php About $290 USD for a SD660, 6GB RAM, 24MP f/1.7 + 5MP dual rear camera, and a 5.7" 18:9 display.

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @omnomnom said:
    Huh. I guess my little edited idea already kind of exists. GSMArena article: https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_z18_mini_is_official_goes_on_sale_this_month_in_china-news-30493.php About $290 USD for a SD660, 6GB RAM, 24MP f/1.7 + 5MP dual rear camera, and a 5.7" 18:9 display.

    Or this...
    http://winfuture.de/news,102672.html#sci1523275166,1800,1200,18383

  • musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod

    @DoppelgangerD said:

    @omnomnom said:
    Huh. I guess my little edited idea already kind of exists. GSMArena article: https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_z18_mini_is_official_goes_on_sale_this_month_in_china-news-30493.php About $290 USD for a SD660, 6GB RAM, 24MP f/1.7 + 5MP dual rear camera, and a 5.7" 18:9 display.

    Or this...
    http://winfuture.de/news,102672.html#sci1523275166,1800,1200,18383

    And Nubia announced they are stopping Nubia UI to use stock android on there global devices

    https://www.gsmarena.com/future_zte_nubia_phones_stock_android-news-29922.php

  • musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod
    edited April 11, 2018 10:42PM

    For those of you none notch lovers out there me and @DrakenFX teamed up last year to design a device that looks like the more sleek version of this concept device which had pogo pins to allow affordable smart cases that expanded functions like wireless charging and signal booster case

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.