Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
[POLL]Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming!
[POLL]How Do You Search Within Text?

Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming!

ZTE ResearchZTE Research Posts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 11, 2018 4:30PM in Consumer Lab

Our R&D team is currently in the process of gathering feedback for a wireless charger combo accessory. Below you will find a few options that have been widely discussed internally as well as during some of the past Z-Community meetups that have been held.

Which of the following functions would you most want in a wireless charger for your cell phone?

1.) Wireless charging stand with tilt
2.) Wireless charging case
3.) Wireless charger stand w/ HDMI output
4.) Powerbank w/ wireless charging
5.) Wireless speaker w/ wireless power bank

Choose your favorite by voting in the poll below and then rank your Top 3 choices in order from highest to lowest priority in the comments.

Go ahead and leave additional comments in your post below to round out your choices.

Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming! 73 votes

Wireless charging stand with tilt
38% 28 votes
Wireless charging case
6% 5 votes
Wireless charger stand w/ HDMI output
16% 12 votes
Power bank with wireless charging
31% 23 votes
Wireless speaker with wireless power bank
6% 5 votes

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, interesting concepts.
    The wireless charging case sounds good at first, but I think it might add too much weight to the device (?).

I'd say my first choice would be the wireless charging power bank.

All the choices are of value to anyone though, depending on your personal needs.

1) Power bank with wireless charging.
    2) Wireless speaker with wireless power bank. (sounds intriguing)
    3) Wireless charging case

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2018 4:49PM
    1. power bank with wireless charging.
    2. wireless speaker with wireless power bank.
    3. Stand with HDMI option.

A power bank with wireless charging would allow me to charge the bank while at work or home, then be able to use the wireless charging feature anywhere. This is genius. In the car, at work, at home, at the bar. I already carry a power bank with me, a wireless charging brick would be worth every penny to me.

My whole issue with wireless charging in the first place is that it still requires a cord. This takes that step closer to getting TRULY wireless charging. Also, it would allow me to charge other devices with a cord, such as a speaker or another phone. Which is why I chose the speaker option as my second option.

The stand to me is not worth the cost of adding wireless charging IMHO, but with HDMI out, I might use that feature a bit.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think wireless charging stand/pad with a few additional function would be cool. I like the HDMI output so that I can use it to stream contents to my TV while charging. I think speaker with power bank may have useful as well if it can integrate with some of the voice control/streaming functionality.

I also think that a case with additional battery pack and wireless charging function would be cool. This is of course just adding wireless charging capability to a phone that lacks one and adding additional juice.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 1:36AM

I prefer a wireless charging stand with tilt. While the other options are cool also, they will add cost for features that many people will either not use, or will be inefficient.

For example, wireless charging is very inefficient in terms of input vs output. If used with a power bank, then you effectively end up with something like a 10,000 mAh power bank that can only effectively deliver 5000-6000mAh of that power.

A wireless charging case can add unnecessary bulk since you add multiple levels of redundancy and stages at which energy is wasted. As you need to regulate the 5V from whatever the coil gives out, and then push that power to the USB input of the device, which then has to convert it into a number of other voltages you essentially add multiple levels of energy loss into a charging method that trades efficiency for convenience.

HDMI output can be useful, but the only place I can really see using something like that, is in a hotel where you may want to use the TV to play better content (e.g., some anime).

Overall, from a utilitarian standpoint, the most used option would be a wireless charging stand. it will ad convenience and minimize wear on the USB-C port.

A Wireless speaker with a built in wireless power bank,can be useful for some users, mainly those who can travel with a bag to carry it, thus useful for placing in various locations, docking the phone onto it, and playing some music or a podcast, though it may not get much use in a home office, or from someone who wants something that can be placed into a coat pocket for use while on the go.

If I were to tank the top 3, it would be:

1. Wireless charging stand with tilt
    2. Wireless charger stand with HDMI output
    3. Wireless speaker with wireless power bank
  • musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,111 mod

My first favorite would be the speaker with wireless power bank
    2.Wireless charging case
    3.Wireless charger stand w/HDMI output

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This must be a trick question.... I have two answers but I am going to go with the first one which is a wireless charging stand with tilt. The reason why I am going with this instead of my other answer (of a wireless charging stand with a HDMI output). To me the only reason why you would need a wireless charging stand with HDMI output is if a device can be turned into a PC and run Windows.... since nowadays most TVs are able to be cast to

• cyberdynecyberdyne United StatesPosts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love tilt stands for at work. I work with three computers and five displays. I consider my two primary mobile devices screen 6 and 7. I always have at least on phone on a tilt- perfect for Skype, Zoom or phone calls

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 384 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1) wireless charging powerbar
    2) wireless charging wireless speaker
    3) wireless charging stand w/ tilt

The reason I chose the power bar as my top choice is that as a university student, I'm always on the move so having something like that is super useful as I don't have to carry any wires around. I didn't pick the case because it would probably make the phone bulky, as well as the fact that the case wouldn't have as much charge as the bar might have. Next is the speaker, which adds functionality that I use a lot, with is streaming music from my phone. I rarely stream videos from my phone, so the HDMI output option isn't too useful for me. Lastly, I picked the stand with tilt as that would be the place I drop off the phone either while I'm working away on something at home, or when I'm going to bed, not having to worry about wires.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Think my favorites are...

Wireless charging stand with tilt;
    Powerbank w/ wireless charging;
    and Wireless speaker w/ wireless power bank.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,088 mod
    edited April 12, 2018 9:13AM

1)Power bank with wireless charging
    2)wireless speaker with wireless Power bank

*If I'm understanding it correctly and the wireless speaker had a Power bank and it had the ability to charge a device wirelessly I think I would go with that first it it were pocketable. So I think what I'd be interested in is a slim Power bank w/ wireless charging that also had speakers that were much better than the device I w as using. Pocketabiluty would be key for me in any case. So that I could slip everything in at least my jacket pockets if not pants pocket.

*Also FAST WIRELESS CHARGING and USB port to charge other devices if needed.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite is magical option number 6 which isn't there and that's a Qi charging base that is flat so I can lie my phone down on top of it. Out of those particular options though here would be my top 3.

1.) Wireless charging stand with tilt
    2.) Powerbank w/ wireless charging
    3.) Wireless speaker w/ wireless power bank

I wouldn't really care for a base with an HDMI port because if I'm sending a video signal to my TV I do it with casting because wireless is more convenient. Kinda like how wireless charging is more convenient and many might not keep their TV next to their charger.

I think wireless charging cases are neat in theory but they require covering up the charging port. Which can become a problem if you're out and wanting to charge your device via the car or someone else's charger.

I'm also not a big fan of the BT speaker with wireless charging built in. I think the idea is great in theory because I love consolidating devices, but most likely the speaker itself wouldn't sound that great. Then I would end up just using it as a charger and not a speaker when I have better sounding speakers already. If that's the case, then I might as well just have a charger that takes up less space and does only what I need it to do.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Powerbank w/ wireless charging
    I can leave the cable at home and not fret while I'm out and about :)

Seems like a no-brainer for a wireless charging stand that goes on the work desk. You can adjust the tilt with the height of your chair or standing desk.

Wireless speaker with wireless power bank.
    Just setting your phone down on the speaker to charge it and to automatically connect to it sounds neat. The speaker better have a good hands-free assistant though.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for frankengadgets--sticking two unrelated gizmos together. Setting aside the fact that the combination makes no sense, there's also the fact that neither part tends to work as well as on a dedicated device. So I would prefer for any added functionality to relate to powering/charging. My preference would be:

1) Power bank with wireless charging
    2) Wireless charging case (I'm assuming the case doesn't just enable wireless charging but has some kind of battery or power bank incorporated into it)
    3) Wireless charging stand with tilt
    4) Wireless charger stand w/ HDMI output

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So, I have a number of these types of accessories that I use with my S8:

Here's what I have:

1) A wireless charging pad
    2) A wireless charging stand with tilt
    3) A powerbank with wireless charging
    4) A wireless charging case

Frankly, the wireless charging powerbank is useless. Wireless charging requires that coils be aligned which means you end up using the powerbank much like any other powerbank just without the wire. It's not like you can toss them together in a pocket and have reliable charging going on. This is one I wish I had never spent the money on and sits in a pocket of my ZTE Axon M branded laptop bag, rarely getting used.

The stand with tilt gets used every single day and is by far my favorite of the bunch.

The flat pad, is well, a flat pad. It's fine.

Finally the case I use and does have the advantage of leaving the USB-C port open so that I can use it for other things while the phone is charging. This becomes particularly important should someone make the decision (I hope not) to shed the headphone jack and you need to use the USB-C port for wired headphones. This is an innovative idea as the unit I have came from an Indegogo campaign and from what I understand they delivered less than 50 units before failing and leaving the other backers stranded. I don't know of any other such cases out there.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Could this mean no more aluminum build? I would rather have an aluminum build before wireless charging.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Could this mean no more aluminum build? I would rather have an aluminum build before wireless charging.

Absolutely no aluminum build if there's wireless charging.

Well let's try to piece some of this together for a educated guess / conspiracy theory...

First, the "leaked" photos of the "prototype" ZTE device.
    It shows a pin configuration on the rear which could very well be for accessories that can take advantage of a makeshift wireless charging setup. Not necessarily true wireless charging if it requires the pins, but...

Next we have an accessory list in the first post of this thread, where each one mentioned could take advantage of the same type of pin configuration from the prototype phone mentioned.

If such a phone were to use the pin configuration for wireless charging, the phone housing could still be made of metal.

Personally I don't care for it all that much since metal makes the phones heavier.
    I always keep my devices in a case most of the time, and wouldn't even care if the housing were plastic if it meant better reception and lighter weight.
    I've never understood the obsession with both metal housing and thinness of phones.
    Whatever makes it function better, and if a little fatter/larger battery means lots more SOT thin I'm down for that.
    I care more about functionality, then weight, then housing and lastly thickness.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Well let's try to piece some of this together for a educated guess / conspiracy theory...

It shows a pin configuration on the rear which could very well be for accessories that can take advantage of a makeshift wireless charging setup. Not necessarily true wireless charging if it requires the pins, but...

Next we have an accessory list in the first post of this thread, where each one mentioned could take advantage of the same type of pin configuration from the prototype phone mentioned.

If such a phone were to use the pin configuration for wireless charging, the phone housing could still be made of metal.

Personally I don't care for it all that much since metal makes the phones heavier.
    I always keep my devices in a case most of the time, and wouldn't even care if the housing were plastic if it meant better reception and lighter weight.
    I've never understood the obsession with both metal housing and thinness of phones.
    Whatever makes it function better, and if a little fatter/larger battery means lots more SOT thin I'm down for that.
    I care more about functionality, then weight, then housing and lastly thickness.

I didn't say anything about thinness. I prefer aluminum and if that means I can't use wireless charging I don't care. I use the same wired charger for all my devices. I prefer aluminum for the durability as opposed to the fragility of glass. And glass is a fingerprint magnet requiring me to put a skin on the back to avoid having to constantly wipe off the fingerprints from the back of the phone.

Dude, I never said you said anything about thinness. Just offering my own opinion without prejudice. Not necessarily directed AT you. Just sayin... ;-)
    Glass doesn't bother me, since again I am likely to put a case on it anyway.
    The only way I wouldn't is if the back had a texture to it so it would grip my hand easily.
    Skins can do that, but I'd rather use a case than a skin since it can be swapped out easily.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I didn't say anything about thinness. I prefer aluminum and if that means I can't use wireless charging I don't care. I use the same wired charger for all my devices. I prefer aluminum for the durability as opposed to the fragility of glass. And glass is a fingerprint magnet requiring me to put a skin on the back to avoid having to constantly wipe off the fingerprints from the back of the phone.

Dude, I never said you said anything about thinness. Just offering my own opinion without prejudice. Not necessarily directed AT you. Just sayin... ;-)
    The only way I wouldn't is if the back had a texture to it so it would grip my hand easily.
    Skins can do that, but I'd rather use a case than a skin since it can be swapped out easily.

No you didn't say that I said anything about thinness. But you quoted my post about aluminum and then brought up thinness and weight. I don't use cases. They also make the phone thicker and more bulky. If a person has to use a case "only" because the back of the phone is glass the back of the phone might as well be made out of plastic bro. Just sayin... 😁

...annnnd as I already said above, I wouldn't care if it was made of plastic either.
    However waterproofing is a great feature too, and you can't do that with plastic housing, unless of course you create a sealed device and then snap on a plastic housing, which would be kinda silly.

• I choose powerbank options, however wireless charging isn't something of high interest for me. I have a couple LED lamps in my livingroom that have built in charging for phones, and I have yet to rush out to buy a phone to test them out lol. If a phone I am interested in offers it great, if not I'm not feeling like I'm missing out.

edited April 13, 2018 2:15AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No you didn't say that I said anything about thinness. But you quoted my post about aluminum and then brought up thinness and weight. I don't use cases. They also make the phone thicker and more bulky. If a person has to use a case "only" because the back of the phone is glass the back of the phone might as well be made out of plastic bro. Just sayin... 😁

...annnnd as I already said above, I wouldn't care if it was made of plastic either.
    However waterproofing is a great feature too, and you can't do that with plastic housing, unless of course you create a sealed device and then snap on a plastic housing, which would be kinda silly.

I didn't say anything about waterproofing. I don't really care about that since the next time my phone gets wet will be the first time.

Yeah but Jimbo, the first time your phone gets wet could be in the toilet. OH SNAP! :dizzy:

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 384 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see ceramic be used if they moving away from metal. I believe ceramic should allow wireless charging to be possible.

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 172 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I went with the power bank with wireless charging as I'm always in need of a charging solution on the go.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1) Wireless changing stand with tilt.
    2) Powerbank with wireless charging.
    3) Wireless charger stand with HDMI output.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 544 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The wireless charging bank would be awesome so that I remember to top it off.
    Powerbank w/ wireless charging
    Wireless charging case