Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
[POLL]Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming!
[POLL]How Do You Search Within Text?

Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming!

2»

Comments

• texasmade1texasmade1 United StatesPosts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Powerbank w/Wireless Charging
    2. Wireless Charging and w/Tilt
    3. Wireless Charging Stand w/HDMI Output
  • austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 123 ✭✭✭✭✭

My top three choices would be:

1) Powerbank with wireless charging.
    2) Wireless changing stand with tilt.
    3) Wireless charger stand with HDMI output.

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 450 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have never used a phone with wireless charging so I'm not sure what I would end up preferring. I selected the charging pad with tilt because I could see it being useful at work.

1. stand with tilt
    2. powerbank with wireless
    3. wireless speaker
  • mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Wireless charging stand with tilt
    2. Power bank with wireless charging
    3. Wireless charger stand w/ HDMI output
  • syntapsyntap Washington DCPosts: 206 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used charging/docking stations for phones in the past but don't have any currently, I miss them. They are good for night stands, "alarm clock" dimmed phone displays, etc so a tilt stand would be my first choice.

Second choice would be a powerbank with wireless charging, I could leave it plugged in on my desk to sit the phone on top of, then grab it for on-the-go and it will always be topped up.

• EnigmaEnigma United StatesPosts: 44 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not all that concerned with wireless charging. Generally its slower than normal wired charging, and really how big a deal is it just to plug it in to a power outlet. Actually just leave the cord in the socket at all times. That way all thats needed is the USB input connection. Quite simple really.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Enigma said:
    I'm not all that concerned with wireless charging. Generally its slower than normal wired charging, and really how big a deal is it just to plug it in to a power outlet. Actually just leave the cord in the socket at all times. That way all thats needed is the USB input connection. Quite simple really.

I agree @Enigma. I have a 7 year old charger plugged in all the time and charge all my devices from it.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

I agree @Enigma. I have a 7 year old charger plugged in all the time and charge all my devices from it.

My car has an interesting setup to it with a five USB port charger plugged into the cigarette lighter - cords everywhere. I'd say perhaps that is one place though where some wireless charging might be helpful, to be fair.

Is an older Honda Fit that doesn't have a display with navigation, nor any Android/Apple systems nor even any dedicated ports. Its kind of a hassle, actually. I might have to get a new car though by 2020.

However in the home - wired is perfect. Jim, how many ports does your charger have? I'm actually using my Monster PowerCenter surge protector where I have my other electronics plugged into. There is around a dozen or so ports on it for regular power, but I have some USB plug in boxes for it, besides the two US C ports already built in with the surge protector.

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

My car has an interesting setup to it with a five USB port charger plugged into the cigarette lighter - cords everywhere. I'd say perhaps that is one place though where some wireless charging might be helpful, to be fair.

Is an older Honda Fit that doesn't have a display with navigation, nor any Android/Apple systems nor even any dedicated ports. Its kind of a hassle, actually. I might have to get a new car though by 2020.

However in the home - wired is perfect. Jim, how many ports does your charger have? I'm actually using my Monster PowerCenter surge protector where I have my other electronics plugged into. There is around a dozen or so ports on it for regular power, but I have some USB plug in boxes for it, besides the two US C ports already built in with the surge protector.

Just one port. I rarely need to charge 2 devices at the same time. I get great battery life from my phones because I'm a battery saving fanatic. 😵 I get 3 days on a charge with whatever phone I'm using at the time and my work phone for deliveries only has a 5000 mAh battery that lasts 10 days. My Nexus 9 tablet that I'm using right now I just keep plugged in except when I need to charge a phone.

• westside80westside80 United StatesPosts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 2:20PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

Just one port. I rarely need to charge 2 devices at the same time. I get great battery life from my phones because I'm a battery saving fanatic. 😵 I get 3 days on a charge with whatever phone I'm using at the time and my work phone for deliveries only has a 5000 mAh battery that lasts 10 days. My Nexus 9 tablet that I'm using right now I just keep plugged in except when I need to charge a phone.

You get 3 days on a charge no matter the phone? Do you even use the phone though? Or do you just use it for phone calls? I get around 16 to 18 hrs out of whatever phone I use except my old 6p and it wouldn't make it that long. The only thing I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth scanning, location to battery saving and only use NFC and Bluetooth when I need them. Other than that I use pretty much every feature on my phone. I have almost 200 apps and use 90% of them. Brightness usually stays anywhere from 30 to 50% and I never use power saving features. I charge my phone nightly.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

You get 3 days on a charge no matter the phone? Do you even use the phone though? Or do you just use it for phone calls? I get around 16 to 18 hrs out of whatever phone I use except my old 6p and it wouldn't make it that long. The only thing I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth scanning, location to battery saving and only use NFC and Bluetooth when I need them. Other than that I use pretty much every feature on my phone. I have almost 200 apps and use 90% of them. Brightness usually stays anywhere from 30 to 50% and I never use power saving features. I charge my phone nightly.

You use your phone a lot more than I do @westside80. When I'm at home the only thing I use the phone for is text and incoming phone calls. I use the Nexus 9 tablet at home and a VOIP phone for outgoing calls. Plus I go through the phone settings very thoroughly with battery life in mind. I've had a few phones that lasted 4 days on a charge using it that way.

I hope this isn't too off topic since it relates to battery life. My question is regarding display brightness that often is connected with battery life when people make brightness settings adjustments to save battery life. One thing I've noticed on some AMOLED phones is the brightness will dim at times, regardless of having the automatic brightness feature turned off. OLED televisions do this, and its called ABL. Alot of OLED television owners, including myself, hate this feature. However, its said that with televisions its meant to help prevent burn in and to preserve the lifespan of colors, rather than battery - which probably is why it happens on AMOLED phones?

Anyone else notice this? I haven't noticed it on most LCD phones, except for the Kyocera Duraforce I once had that did this. It is a feature that annoys me very much.

@Enigma said:
    I hope this isn't too off topic since it relates to battery life. My question is regarding display brightness that often is connected with battery life when people make brightness settings adjustments to save battery life. One thing I've noticed on some AMOLED phones is the brightness will dim at times, regardless of having the automatic brightness feature turned off. OLED televisions do this, and its called ABL. Alot of OLED television owners, including myself, hate this feature. However, its said that with televisions its meant to help prevent burn in and to preserve the lifespan of colors, rather than battery - which probably is why it happens on AMOLED phones?

Anyone else notice this? I haven't noticed it on most LCD phones, except for the Kyocera Duraforce I once had that did this. It is a feature that annoys me very much.

I have not noticed it on my LG OLED TV. I have noticed it with automatic brightness turned off on both Amoled and LCD screens. It's always bothered me enough that I don't use automatic brightness.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

I have not noticed it on my LG OLED TV. I have noticed it with automatic brightness turned off on both Amoled and LCD screens. It's always bothered me enough that I don't use automatic brightness.

I'm not sure if its the same with phones or not, but on the OLED tvs, ABL will not occur if the brightness is set below 40, supposedly. Low brightness setting make ABL less noticeable, apparently. I noticed it quite a bit for some time, so I recently adjusted the settings.

I like a cooler display, so I have my tv set to C40, which I just increased from C20, noticing the cooler image helps make up brightness loss a bit, without engaging ABL. So, I have brightness set to 40, contrast and color to 60, OLED light to 80, sharpness at 20 - since for some reason higher sharpness values on OLED makes the image appear grainy, and of course tint at 0.

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

I'm not sure if its the same with phones or not, but on the OLED tvs, ABL will not occur if the brightness is set below 40, supposedly. Low brightness setting make ABL less noticeable, apparently. I noticed it quite a bit for some time, so I recently adjusted the settings.

I like a cooler display, so I have my tv set to C40, which I just increased from C20, noticing the cooler image helps make up brightness loss a bit, without engaging ABL. So, I have brightness set to 40, contrast and color to 60, OLED light to 80, sharpness at 20 - since for some reason higher sharpness values on OLED makes the image appear grainy, and of course tint at 0.

What OLED TV is that @Enigma? I'll have to check my settings tonight on my LG TV.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

You use your phone a lot more than I do @westside80. When I'm at home the only thing I use the phone for is text and incoming phone calls. I use the Nexus 9 tablet at home and a VOIP phone for outgoing calls. Plus I go through the phone settings very thoroughly with battery life in mind. I've had a few phones that lasted 4 days on a charge using it that way.

Do you ever use your phone for apps or Internet when you're at home or on the road or do you not use your phone at all for internet or apps? Just wondering what you actually do with your phone? Lol

@Enigma said:

I've never noticed my phone dimming unless I have Auto brightness on.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

What OLED TV is that @Enigma? I'll have to check my settings tonight on my LG TV.

I have a 55"-inch 2016 LG C6 curved television.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

Do you ever use your phone for apps or Internet when you're at home or on the road or do you not use your phone at all for internet or apps? Just wondering what you actually do with your phone? Lol

He's so fast checking the Z-Community, I wouldn't be surprised if he has it as his home screen.

One of the reasons why I think Jim would make a great mod, as he's here often to check whats going on.

I have very few apps on my phone. A big reason for that though its an older MS phone, been waiting to switch back to Android for a while. I was hoping Samsung would have switched to 4k, but they didnt. So looks like Im getting the Sony XZ2 Premium.

edited April 23, 2018 4:52PM

@Enigma said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

He's so fast checking the Z-Community, I wouldn't be surprised if he has it as his home screen.

One of the reasons why I think Jim would make a great mod, as he's here often to check whats going on.

I have very few apps on my phone. A big reason for that though its an older MS phone, been waiting to switch back to Android for a while. I was hoping Samsung would have switched to 4k, but they didnt. So looks like Im getting the Sony XZ2 Premium.

4K? I can't I even see the difference in 1080p and 2K on a phone unless I squint my eyes and stare until I make myself see a difference. :D Jim would be a good Mod because he's here more than anyone. It seems like every new thread that's started the first comment is from Jim. LOL :smiley: I don't even think he sleeps. I really don't believe he would want to be a Mod but I could be wrong. I wouldn't want to. I have a little less than 200 apps on my phone and I use almost all of them. Some of them I just use on occasion. I just asked Jim what he did with his phone because he said he uses a tablet at home and only uses the phone for calls and texts while at home. I figure there's no way he could be using a bunch of apps while he's working so I'm just trying to understand his addiction to buying top of the line expensive phones when all he uses it for is calls, texts and light browsing. If I can understand his addiction then maybe it'll help me understand mine. :wink:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@westside80 of course I use my phone for apps and the internet. I just got my phone bill today and I used 3.1 GB of data for the last month. Almost 💯 % of that is away from home.

@Enigma said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@Enigma I don't have the forum as a homescreen. 😀 When I'm home I just stay logged in on my Nexus 9 tablet and check in frequently obviously. 😂

And I am interested in the Sony XZ2 Premium also. I like that Sony is staying with the 16:9 format and I don't mind the bigger bezels. But that phone looks like an all around great phone. Dual speakers also.

@westside80 said:

@Enigma said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

4K? I can't I even see the difference in 1080p and 2K on a phone unless I squint my eyes and stare until I make myself see a difference. :D Jim would be a good Mod because he's here more than anyone. It seems like every new thread that's started the first comment is from Jim. LOL :smiley: I don't even think he sleeps. I really don't believe he would want to be a Mod but I could be wrong. I wouldn't want to. I have a little less than 200 apps on my phone and I use almost all of them. Some of them I just use on occasion. I just asked Jim what he did with his phone because he said he uses a tablet at home and only uses the phone for calls and texts while at home. I figure there's no way he could be using a bunch of apps while he's working so I'm just trying to understand his addiction to buying top of the line expensive phones when all he uses it for is calls, texts and light browsing. If I can understand his addiction then maybe it'll help me understand mine. :wink:

@westside80 you know that I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in being a mod. Hell I might have to kick myself out if I was a mod. 😂 I like being able to tell it the way that I see it. I give praise when it's earned and I criticize when it deserves criticism. I couldn't do that as a mod.

Trust me if I could understand my addiction to trying new phones I would share it with you.

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

Great TV @Enigma. I have the 2017 55" E series. What I do is buy in December right before the model change to next year's model. I got that TV in December for $1500 online and they were still selling for $2999. at LG.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

Great TV @Enigma. I have the 2017 55" E series. What I do is buy in December right before the model change to next year's model. I got that TV in December for $1500 online and they were still selling for $2999. at LG.

Wow! That is a big discount! I got mine on a Black Friday deal, though it wasn't that steep a discount. I think it was around $1800 or so, then with warranty around $2200.

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

Wow! That is a big discount! I got mine on a Black Friday deal, though it wasn't that steep a discount. I think it was around $1800 or so, then with warranty around $2200.

I can't remember the name of the company but it was on eBay. It included a three year in home warranty and shipping. The TV was on sale obviously and eBay had some special extra discount on it for one day only. I really lucked out on the timing. That's the model with Dolby sound and Dolby Vision also. And I got the LG sound bar with that Dolby stuff also and at a big discount. It was actually used as a demo for a video review. So it was an open box for the soundbar.

edited April 23, 2018 9:34PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

I got my 50 inch TV at Walmart on Black Friday for around $249. 😂 No way I would pay $3,000 for a TV and I watch a ton of TV. That's crazy money to me. I guess if you have it to spend it's okay but still, that's more than some people pay for a car.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

I got my 50 inch TV at Walmart on Black Friday for around $249. 😂 No way I would pay $3,000 for a TV and I watch a ton of TV. That's crazy money to me. I guess if you have it to spend it's okay but still, that's more than some people pay for a car.

That's a great deal. I don't understand how they can sell a 50 " TV for $249 when that's less than midrange phones. Just the cost difference in packaging and shipping is a lot more for the TV.

edited April 23, 2018 9:40PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Enigma said:

That's a great deal. I don't understand how they can sell a 50 " TV for $249 when that's less than midrange phones. Just the cost difference in packaging and shipping is a lot more for the TV.

Yeah. No clue. Just a Black Friday special. 1080p TV. Nothing special. The TV in my bedroom is a 32 inch 1080p TV and it was around $200. My bedroom TV has a better picture than the one in the living room. The one in the living room likes to crush blacks. For the price it looks pretty good though.

2»