Nubia to make a gaming phone

hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 19, 2018 10:07PM in Rumor Mill

apparently the notch is already old news. gaming phones are the new thing

https://www.androidauthority.com/nubia-red-magic-gaming-phone-856902/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,184 mod

I saw that article too! Looks pretty cool and something that will be interesting to compare against the Razer phone.
    😁

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@fzrrich said:
    I saw that article too! Looks pretty cool and something that will be interesting to compare against the Razer phone.
    😁

Now if only Nubia would bring more devices to the US!

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the look of the phone. I don't think gaming phone would be something for me but I really like how it looks.

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@samsamha said:
    I really like the look of the phone. I don't think gaming phone would be something for me but I really like how it looks.

I have the Razer phone and in spite of the fact that it's called a gaming phone I don't use it for gaming. It's a great phone. Great sounding and very loud dual front facing speakers with Dolby. It's a stock Android phone with a 120 Hz screen refresh rate.

Based on the looks along, I think this is prettier than Razer phone but it appears that it is not 120 Hz refresh rate, so it is not meant for you then:)

I'm not really interested in either phone, or Xiaomi's. I need reading glasses to begin with. 2K screens and 120Mhz refresh rate is simply not something high on my wish list for a phone and what I use a phone for. A big fat battery is at the top of my list period. Only a few options out there for that, but slowly options are getting better.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm definitely not against gaming phones because they get something right by combining high end specs and a large battery. I'd like to see more of them come out and maybe one day we'll have another one here available besides just the Razer phone.

I like the design of the Nubia and how they put an LED strip on the back. I'm sure it'll let you customize the color since that's highly popular in gaming. Nubia makes a lot of cool devices and for a reasonable price.

Problem is the battery life from the Razer phone is only sub-par if you believe GSM. To save battery life, the screen brightness is kept way low. GSM themselves admits that dropping the screen resolution to HD doesn't do much for battery life on this device or others in their testing. Also dropping the refresh rate from 120 to 60 didn't help much. I don't have a razer phone so I can't speak to its real life performance. But according to GSM, the screen brightness and battery life are just meh, no matter the settings. You can read more here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/razer_phone-review-1683p3.php

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:
    Problem is the battery life from the Razer phone is only sub-par if you believe GSM. To save battery life, the screen brightness is kept way low. GSM themselves admits that dropping the screen resolution to HD doesn't do much for battery life on this device or others in their testing. Also dropping the refresh rate from 120 to 60 didn't help much. I don't have a razer phone so I can't speak to its real life performance. But according to GSM, the screen brightness and battery life are just meh, no matter the settings. You can read more here:

@hollap I get excellent battery life from mine. I tested it extensively with the 120 Hz screen refresh rate and set at 2K and didn't notice more than a few percentage points difference in battery life so I just keep it on the highest settings. It doesn't get the best battery life of any phone that I've had but it's very good.

Yeah but you are a wise battery miser :) A 4000mAh battery should give better results than what I'm reading. In my opinion anyway. I'm still not ready to buy, but getting closer as I have seen recent FCC notifications that have Band 71 and more and more phones, which is a must for me moving forward.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@hollap I get excellent battery life from mine. I tested it extensively with the 120 Hz screen refresh rate and set at 2K and didn't notice more than a few percentage points difference in battery life so I just keep it on the highest settings. It doesn't get the best battery life of any phone that I've had but it's very good.

Yeah but you are a wise battery miser :) A 4000mAh battery should give better results than what I'm reading. In my opinion anyway. I'm still not ready to buy, but getting closer as I have seen recent FCC notifications that have Band 71 and more and more phones, which is a must for me moving forward.

What phones have you seen that are on the way that have band 71 @hollap? T-Mobile just turned on the 600 MHz frequency which is band 71 in several more areas last week.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Thanks @hollap. I'll have to check the first LG phone out.

Yeah not sure what model...maybe the G7?

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

While it looks cool...I don't want to have to import a phone, and it's unlikely Nubia will ever have a full USA campaign after what ZTE is going through right now. With the A9 unknown now, I am seriously going to start considering something else. Looking forward to the LG G7 launch to see what they have there.

edited April 20, 2018 10:38AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jasonscarter said:
    While it looks cool...I don't want to have to import a phone, and it's unlikely Nubia will ever have a full USA campaign after what ZTE is going through right now. With the A9 unknown now, I am seriously going to start considering something else. Looking forward to the LG G7 launch to see what they have there.

Plus the HTC U12 Plus and OP6 to name a few others.

HTC makes some good stuff, but I am worried about the financial satiability of the company to continue to pump out devices and spend money on future development when they have been losing money the past few years. Google poached all their good employees I am sure.

One Plus is a possibility, but they seem to keep raising their price points, so not as big of a value as before, and who knows, if they get to big, they may get kicked out of the USA as well.

@jasonscarter said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jasonscarter said:

HTC makes some good stuff, but I am worried about the financial satiability of the company to continue to pump out devices and spend money on future development when they have been losing money the past few years. Google poached all their good employees I am sure.

One Plus is a possibility, but they seem to keep raising their price points, so not as big of a value as before, and who knows, if they get to big, they may get kicked out of the USA as well.

In light of everything, I may just steer clear of any Chinese phones.

@hollap said:

@jasonscarter said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jasonscarter said:

In light of everything, I may just steer clear of any Chinese phones.

Agreed for the time being

Best Buy is no longer going to carry Huawei though. And Huawei just this week announced they are turning focus away from the US market. They may still have phones available here, but almost no marketing or anything along with it. Could affect after sales support/warranty stuff. Too risky for my $$$

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone pre-ordered the Red Magic Phone on indiegogo?