ZTE OTA servers are offline

124»

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hitakshi said:

What is this going on? I am upset. Can anyone give me real information?

There was an email from support somebody posted. Google is not allowing ZTE to issue software updates due to the export ban that includes USA provided software. So ZTE shut down their servers. Please read further up in the thread.

• webman1956webman1956 United StatesPosts: 38 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got on an online chat with a ZTE rep and they said that Oreo was still coming and they they were having problems with the OTA but that should be only temporary.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@webman1956 what platform where you able to reach them through?

BTW anyone notice that their Axon 7 is consuming a lot more power in stand by and for RF of late since the OTA servers went offline? I am wondering if it just me or a general Nougat issue on the Axon 7.

@webman1956 said:
    I got on an online chat with a ZTE rep and they said that Oreo was still coming and they they were having problems with the OTA but that should be only temporary.

I think they are being hopeful to get the ban dropped or something. Until some more news about this situation comes to light, I am not going to be very optimistic it will come.

I agree @jasonscarter . I was just trying to get support because I dropped my Axon M and broke the back screen :( I have not heard back from email yet.

• GodOfPsychosGodOfPsychos GermanyPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webman1956 said:

Really? Currently i doubt that since what's happening recently. Also the german site ztemobile.de first hides the downloads (via html code), and then removed them completely (you couldn't download even with the direct downloadlink anymore). And now the whole site vanished and redirects to http://www.zte.com.cn/global/
    There isn't even a maintenance message like last time

@wiseman13 said:
    I agree @jasonscarter . I was just trying to get support because I dropped my Axon M and broke the back screen :( I have not heard back from email yet.

I am usually optimistic, but this situation just kind of rattles my nerves a bit because we all know how important your mobile device is these days. It may very well get worked out though, but I am thinking if that happens it will be later rather than sooner.

Hope you get your device fixed @wiseman13

Seriously. It was last night on the ZTE USA site. I had to wait a few minutes for an online rep to open up and chat with me. She acted like everything that was going on was no big deal and said that even if the ban stuck, it would not affect the Oreo software. I wouldn`t BS anyone here as I want that update bad. I just got the Axon 7 off of Swappa a few weeks back and it was a toss up between it and a used Galaxy S7 Edge for about the same money. I thought they were both getting Oreo so no big difference and then this. Kicking myself for no going with the S7 Edge.

• clarktccclarktcc Vero Beach, FloridaPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wiseman13 said:
    BTW anyone notice that their Axon 7 is consuming a lot more power in stand by and for RF of late since the OTA servers went offline? I am wondering if it just me or a general Nougat issue on the Axon 7.

For about a week my Axon 7 has done the same thing. I used to get two days between charging and now lucky to get through to late afternoon. Under battery usage same thing a lot of usage on RF signal and standby. Performed a network reset and wipe cache partition this morning and battery seems to be working like before so far.

• mech1164mech1164 USA Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

Well this is a fine cluster F to all it's users but that's to be expected with what has happened. Question will this be temporary or a Perm ban on release. If perm then i'll be on something else. Shame this was a good product.

• lllgurullllllgurulll Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mech1164 said:
    Well this is a fine cluster F to all it's users but that's to be expected with what has happened. Question will this be temporary or a Perm ban on release. If perm then i'll be on something else. Shame this was a good product.

It's still a good product. I'm not running out and buying a new phone. I'll just put lineage on it so I'll keep getting security updates.

@mech1164 said:

It is a very good phone but this is no way to keep company loyalty. If the rep I talked to fed me a line of BS just to appease me than shame on them. I love my Axon 7 but want the truth most of all as I can live with that.

• GabycanepaGabycanepa ArgentinaPosts: 1 ✭✭

Hello!
    Someone tried what they say in this tutorial?
    https://www.getdroidtips.com/zte-axon-7-android-8-0-oreo/

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna sound like a **** now so what the **** @Gabycanepa did you not take the time to read the article you posted!? For one it talks about magisk and twerp that's usually a flag meaning you have to unlock your bootloader which if we did that are warranty (or whatever is left of it) is toast! Second read your damn article before you start posting getting everyone's hopes up! Here are the steps required to install that ROM but at the bottom of the page it says the HTC U so it's total **** and the **** Grammer is a red flag but nonetheless here are the steps you clearly didn't read!
    First of all, install the TWRP recovery on your phone and then proceed to take a full backup of your current ROM.
    Take a full backup before installing ZTE Axon 7 Android 8.0 Oreo.
    -----> How to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup on any TWRP Supported device
    -----> How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
    If you already have a TWRP, then flash the latest TWRP 3.2.1.5 and reboot your phone again to recovery.
    Now Wipe system/data/cache/dalvik
    After wiping, you can now proceed to install by flashing ROM (B), and then bootstack (C), Modem (D) and then you install Magisk for root.
    Again Wipe cache/dalvik and reboot your phone.
    Tap power on “5sec” and “30sec” screen ( I know….the corrupt boot is awful, don't blame me...)
    You’ll be powered off/red lights
    Power for around 10sec and you’ll boot
    Once you are booted, complete the Android boot screen setup
    Uncheck auto update into Playstore!
    Check safety net magisk. Should be ok
    That's it! Enjoy Android 8.0 Oreo on ZTE axon 7.

This little paragraph is literally under all the steps So, that's all you have to do. I hope this guide was helpful to install the latest HTC U Ultra Android 8.0 Oreo update and enjoy.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Gabycanepa said:
    Hello!
    Someone tried what they say in this tutorial?
    https://www.getdroidtips.com/zte-axon-7-android-8-0-oreo/

Watch out for fake guides like this. At best it's search engine bait to sell ads. Many of them contain links to desktop computer Trojan horses.

This is the biggest side effect of ZTE removing the normal bootloader unlock process. Everyone is looking for the guides and finding endless malware fakes created by bots.

• lllgurullllllgurulll Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope the ban doesn't somehow pull Google Play from all working ZTE phones. I can't afford to just go out and purchase another phone with these specs.

• ZTE may be able to get the US Govt to soften it's stance and change the ban to a large fine + the immediate firing of the 35 employees who should have been punished. Both parties are talking. Money doesn't just speak, it's screams. We'll know in about a month.

• If the ban is not resended and/or softened & still in effect come June or July, then it's over for ZTE.

We Axon 7 owners will be better off installing Lineage OS 8.1 via the Axon 7 XDA portal. However, if one of the beta testers managed to capture the latest Oreo beta ROM OS before it was installed on their phone, they could post it to the XDA forum for download.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@smh032395 said:
    I'm gonna sound like a **** now so what the **** @Gabycanepa did you not take the time to read the article you posted!? For one it talks about magisk and twerp that's usually a flag meaning you have to unlock your bootloader which if we did that are warranty (or whatever is left of it) is toast! Second read your damn article before you start posting getting everyone's hopes up! Here are the steps required to install that ROM but at the bottom of the page it says the HTC U so it's total **** and the **** Grammer is a red flag but nonetheless here are the steps you clearly didn't read!
    First of all, install the TWRP recovery on your phone and then proceed to take a full backup of your current ROM.
    Take a full backup before installing ZTE Axon 7 Android 8.0 Oreo.
    -----> How to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup on any TWRP Supported device
    -----> How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
    If you already have a TWRP, then flash the latest TWRP 3.2.1.5 and reboot your phone again to recovery.
    Now Wipe system/data/cache/dalvik
    After wiping, you can now proceed to install by flashing ROM (B), and then bootstack (C), Modem (D) and then you install Magisk for root.
    Again Wipe cache/dalvik and reboot your phone.
    Tap power on “5sec” and “30sec” screen ( I know….the corrupt boot is awful, don't blame me...)
    You’ll be powered off/red lights
    Power for around 10sec and you’ll boot
    Once you are booted, complete the Android boot screen setup
    Uncheck auto update into Playstore!
    Check safety net magisk. Should be ok
    That's it! Enjoy Android 8.0 Oreo on ZTE axon 7.

I'm not sure if it's a translation issue or what. But some of the steps don't make anysense to me. That's why I haven't tried it yet. For 1 example of what I mean can you please explain what the following means?

edited May 7, 2018 3:51PM

@ram1220 I was quoting the person who posted it lol! That is 100% not for the Axon 7!

• MSTKMSTK USAPosts: 60 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have both the Axon 7 and Axon M which I may get rid of now. I switched to iPhone as a main driver a couple months ago but was still using the ZTE phones for work. I was just not able to do what I wanted musically on Android. They were cool phones but after seeing the ban I almost wondered if it was a good thing I switched. I hope things work out for ZTE and it’s employees.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@smh032395 said:
    @ram1220 I was quoting the person who posted it lol! That is 100% not for the Axon 7!

I kind of figured that but wasn't sure if you knew what it meant. The confusing lack of simple instructions is why I haven't gone to Lineage on my A7. I rooted an old HTC Hero years ago and it was simple. But trying to read the instructions for Lineage just makes my head hurt. It's too confusing. I wish they would just make a page of simple instructions. I would have done it already.

@ram1220 I feel you I rooted an old Moto 2nd gen on Boost Mobile about 4 years ago... It was easier then! Hell I even got CyanogenMod 12.1 on it at the time and it was my first time installing a custom ROM and I got it on the first try! This **** with the ZTE is ridiculous... All Chinese phone companies should keep their bootloader's unlocked by default or provide a way to unlock it for us!

• HitakshiHitakshi IndiaPosts: 2 ✭✭

How to download update from online?