Suggestions for A7 replacement?

birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 104 ✭✭✭✭

I love my A7 (and my wife loves her A7 Mini), but I fear the writing is on the wall for these to be the last ZTE phones we'll ever see. So I'd like to start looking for replacement phones so I can have something in hand before our A7's become non-functional due to the loss of all updates.

Basically I'd like to find a phone with comparable features & capabilities at a price of around $500.00. I've looked at a few that are out there now, but so far nothing is a clearly obvious choice. Perhaps there is something coming down the pike soon that will be a good alternative. "Soon" is the key word there because we don't know what the remaining useful life of the A7's will be.

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Comparable specs while sticking with a 800 series processor will be hard for that price. Even a One Plus 5T is $550. Doubt One Plus 6 will even be $600. Moto Z from 2017 could be an option. LG G6 now the G7 is out. And Huawei and Honor phones wouldn't be a good choice right now either in my opinion.

Lots of good 600 series phones for $300-400 price. Some even in the $250 range. A recent 800 series phone around $500 is non existent unless you export something in from China from a non USA brand.

I am looking at getting a Nokia 6 with Android One to tied me over while I wait for fall releases.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

May be just wait a little bit to see if this whole ordeal can be sorted out. I still have hopes that something will get sorted out after the US and China meeting. And hopeing that once it does, we will see the successor to the Axon 7 soon.

Hard to say what device coming in the pipelines but there are always something new coming that can be better and possibly cheaper. Rumor i that Google may release cheaper Pixel 3 phone so that maybe an option if you can wait a little bit. If not, maybe by that time, Pixel 2 would get a price drop that you can grab it

The 600 series chips have gotten better and support shooting 4k video. All depends on what you use your phone for.

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 104 ✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    Comparable specs while sticking with a 800 series processor will be hard for that price.

@samsamha said:
    Rumor i that Google may release cheaper Pixel 3

Well I said "around $500.00" because I'll have to get 2 phones. I freely admit I was spoiled by the prices for both of our A7's ( and for my Nexus 5 before that), so maybe I'll just have to pony up some extra cash. :'(

I was disappointed at the price Google decided to charge for the Pixel phones; it would be nice if they decided to return to their old Nexus pricing model.

@birkbinnard said:

@jasonscarter said:
    Comparable specs while sticking with a 800 series processor will be hard for that price.

@samsamha said:
    Rumor i that Google may release cheaper Pixel 3

Well I said "around $500.00" because I'll have to get 2 phones. I freely admit I was spoiled by the prices for both of our A7's ( and for my Nexus 5 before that), so maybe I'll just have to pony up some extra cash. :'(

I was disappointed at the price Google decided to charge for the Pixel phones; it would be nice if they decided to return to their old Nexus pricing model.

Well they were going after Apple and Samsung. Some people believe a $800 device really is $300 better than a $500 device. Catering to the mass market and not enthusiasts like with Nexus

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been eyeing the ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro on sale at Amazon for 499 down from 599. I really liked my ASUS ZenFone 2.

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 108 ✭✭✭✭✭

OnePlus 6. It's really the only alternative.

@marcwool1 said:
    OnePlus 6. It's really the only alternative.

Alternative maybe in specs....not in price.

@wrbird said:
    I've been eyeing the ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro on sale at Amazon for 499 down from 599. I really liked my ASUS ZenFone 2.

That's a good price for that device. And within the $500 range

• erichopeerichope San Francisco, CA, USAPosts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 12:26PM

You can get an LG V30 for about $400 on eBay. It doesn't have stereo speakers, but tries to compensate by giving you a VERY high quality headphone jack. The display is also not quite as good as the Axon 7's (the Axon 7's display was manufactured by Samsung), but it's still a very good phone. Also, if you don't find the thought of switching to iOS too distasteful, you can get an iPhone 7 Plus for about the same price (https://www.n1wireless.com/apple-iphone-7-plus-32gb-gsm-smartphone-unlocked-turbo-sim-black-4760.html?fee=4&fep=4757&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxN_XBRCFARIsAIufy1Y6sxRnWzVY4C1uHryIzNcaH0yh1D2s7iPGCQCAHLkhI3Unv7x_cfoaAlnaEALw_wcB). Personally, I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S9+ on AT&T from Best Buy. I'd rather have paid for it outright, but by the time all is done & dusted, I will have paid $420 for the phone (in addition to the plan, which I would have had anyway). You have to sign up for a 24 or 30 month payment plan, though (I did 24), as you arrive at that final price through bill credits. Though I went with a 2018 phone (the S9+ ticked about all my necessary boxes, and I got it on a good deal), last year's flagships are always a great option.

• webman1956webman1956 United StatesPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭✭

@samsamha said:
    May be just wait a little bit to see if this whole ordeal can be sorted out. I still have hopes that something will get sorted out after the US and China meeting. And hopeing that once it does, we will see the successor to the Axon 7 soon.

Hard to say what device coming in the pipelines but there are always something new coming that can be better and possibly cheaper. Rumor i that Google may release cheaper Pixel 3 phone so that maybe an option if you can wait a little bit. If not, maybe by that time, Pixel 2 would get a price drop that you can grab it

I would get with the LG G6. The last year flagship phone can be found for under $300 and will get the Oreo update although the phone style is a bit boring.

• erichopeerichope San Francisco, CA, USAPosts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018 10:13AM

If I had to choose between the G6 and the V30, It'd be the V30 all the way for me.

• shaneeliballanceshaneeliballance Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a oneplus 5t off eBay for 420.00...so it can be done. All so look at the asus zenfone 5z..its a killer

• webman1956webman1956 United StatesPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erichope said:
    If I had to choose between the G6 and the V30, It'd be the V30 all the way for me.

Nice upgrade but the V30 will put a lot more hurt on your wallet.

@webman1956 said:

@samsamha said:

I would get with the LG G6. The last year flagship phone can be found for under $300 and will get the Oreo update although the phone style is a bit boring.

Good choice!

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 108 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the new Onplus 6 starts at $535 American currency.

@marcwool1 said:

$529 for the 6GB 64GB model. No expandable storage so the $579 model with 128GB is probably the sweet spot for most enthusiasts.

@marcwool1 said:

That one looks real good, it's just too large for me. 5.5" is about the largest I want to go.

• Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if you wanna risk another Chinese manufacturer but I'm guessing the Huawei Mate 10 Pro will soon drop to the 500 range if Huawei built a bunch of them for the At&t Postpaid launch.

Huawei I am staying away from until this whole flack about them being some security threat is over. Not that there has been any evidence, but I just don't want to throw down money on something, and then the US Govt goes after the company/attacks the company and then forces them to not be consistent on support and updates for the US market because of it. Same thing with Honor.

• samwichsesamwichse Posts: 41 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at the Nokia 6.1 ($270) right now in the case that my Axon 7 develops some kind of hardware fault. Yes, it has a 6-series Snapdragon, but it's a couple generations newer than our Axons' 8 series and should be about as fast but with better power efficiency.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Nokia 6.1.

But otherwise, I'll just throw Lineage on my 7 and keep using it till it dies. It's a nice bit of hardware and it doesn't immediately turn back into a pumpkin if the clock strikes midnight on ZTE.

@samwichse said:
    I'm looking at the Nokia 6.1 ($270) right now in the case that my Axon 7 develops some kind of hardware fault. Yes, it has a 6-series Snapdragon, but it's a couple generations newer than our Axons' 8 series and should be about as fast but with better power efficiency.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Nokia 6.1.

But otherwise, I'll just throw Lineage on my 7 and keep using it till it dies. It's a nice bit of hardware and it doesn't immediately turn back into a pumpkin if the clock strikes midnight on ZTE.

Only real negative thing I have heard is the camera app is slow to load sometimes. Could be fixed with software update. Open Camera gets around the issue for those users. That is the device I am thinking of getting my wife as well.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Although its priced above your budget, you should definitely consider the S9+. I picked up the international model yesterday (with Exynos 9810) for $700 USD and its been great so far.

• omnomnomomnomnom Posts: 30 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I'm holding out for the Z3 Play or the Nokia 7 Plus (assuming it releases in the US, if not then the 2018 Nokia 6). Maybe the Honor V10 if the whole Huawei situation doesn't get worse.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wrbird said:

@marcwool1 said:

That one looks real good, it's just too large for me. 5.5" is about the largest I want to go.

Keep in mind that the Oneplus 6 has a 2:1 display, so in regards to width it's about as wide as what you'd usually see on a 5.5" display phone. If you compare it to the A7 it's actually slightly smaller in both length and width due to reduced bezels.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9109&idPhone2=8067

@omnomnom said:
    Personally I'm holding out for the Z3 Play or the Nokia 7 Plus (assuming it releases in the US, if not then the 2018 Nokia 6). Maybe the Honor V10 if the whole Huawei situation doesn't get worse.

Sold my Honor 8, and I still have my Huawei Watch 2, but I don't think I am going to buy a Huawei or Honor phone at this time because they could soon be in the same situation ZTE is in.

@kidnova said:

@wrbird said:

@marcwool1 said:

Keep in mind that the Oneplus 6 has a 2:1 display, so in regards to width it's about as wide as what you'd usually see on a 5.5" display phone. If you compare it to the A7 it's actually slightly smaller in both length and width due to reduced bezels.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9109&idPhone2=8067

@kidnova Thanks for pointing that out!

• Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:

@omnomnom said:

Sold my Honor 8, and I still have my Huawei Watch 2, but I don't think I am going to buy a Huawei or Honor phone at this time because they could soon be in the same situation ZTE is in.

I don't think Huawei depends on any US parts to build their phones but I think they'll be dead in the water without the Google Playstore.

@Ock1 said:

@jasonscarter said:

@omnomnom said:

I don't think Huawei depends on any US parts to build their phones but I think they'll be dead in the water without the Google Playstore.

Don't know for sure if US parts are used. They have their own chipset which helps a lot. Was surprised to see how many things ZTE uses from the USA hardware wise. Wouldn't be surprised if Huawei didn't use suppliers here

• kedlundkedlund United States of AmericaPosts: 20 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since this thread was suppose to be about a replacement for the Axon 7, I would seriously consider the Essential PH-1!
    It's Way cheaper that any of the phones listed in this thread, already supports Oreo, with P not far behind!
    Excellent support, excellent specifications.

I've had mine since March, with no concerns, long battery life, and excellent camera now after the many updates.

Seriously, why in the heck would even consider ANYTHING from Oneplus! They are not cheap anymore, or reliable, or have any good customer service!