Suggestions for A7 replacement?

245

Comments

  • wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2018 12:29AM

    The Essential has the notch, no external storage, and no audio jack. Yes, I know, I'm old school but thankfully there's still phones out there that have these features and no notch. I have no interest in an Android that mimics an iPhone.

  • marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 116 ✭✭✭✭✭

    All of the current reviews of the essential phone say the camera has improved in the sense that it went from terrible to mediocre, and the camera software (user-experience) is still terrible.
    Plus several reviews state this phone still operates like early Android phones, in that it is simply not stable and suffers software crashes, quite often, even after all of the numerous updates.

    This phone was launched with a high-end price initially and they lowered the price so much they're practically giving it away. That tells you everything you need to know.

    OnePlus 6 is the phone to beat, but in Canada, LG is throwing in a free 43 inch, 4K TV if you pre-order their new ThinQ phone. That might make the phone price competitive with Oneplus 6, BUT.... Who wants a 4K TV under 50 inches????

  • cablemancableman NortheastPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Remember the essential ph1 was out b4 the iphone x so they aren't mimicking anyone.
    My wife has one and it is a nice phone, camera is on par with a7 but the zoom is horrible. Updates are crazy fast, faster then googles pixels. If they come out with a 2nd phone I will be all over it providing the camera is good.

  • Cshirey1980Cshirey1980 United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

    I'm posting this from my not even 48 hour old pixel 2xl. Let me be perfectly clear so there's no misunderstanding. I miss my axon7 and given the choice is take the axon7 over the new pixel any day off the week.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @marcwool1 said:
    All of the current reviews of the essential phone say the camera has improved in the sense that it went from terrible to mediocre, and the camera software (user-experience) is still terrible.
    Plus several reviews state this phone still operates like early Android phones, in that it is simply not stable and suffers software crashes, quite often, even after all of the numerous updates.

    This phone was launched with a high-end price initially and they lowered the price so much they're practically giving it away. That tells you everything you need to know.

    OnePlus 6 is the phone to beat, but in Canada, LG is throwing in a free 43 inch, 4K TV if you pre-order their new ThinQ phone. That might make the phone price competitive with Oneplus 6, BUT.... Who wants a 4K TV under 50 inches????

    TV would make a nice TV for a bedroom. I'd take it! No such offer like that in USA

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    One Plus 6 on sale tomorrow. Anyone biting?

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @marcwool1 said:
    All of the current reviews of the essential phone say the camera has improved in the sense that it went from terrible to mediocre, and the camera software (user-experience) is still terrible.
    Plus several reviews state this phone still operates like early Android phones, in that it is simply not stable and suffers software crashes, quite often, even after all of the numerous updates.

    This phone was launched with a high-end price initially and they lowered the price so much they're practically giving it away. That tells you everything you need to know.

    OnePlus 6 is the phone to beat, but in Canada, LG is throwing in a free 43 inch, 4K TV if you pre-order their new ThinQ phone. That might make the phone price competitive with Oneplus 6, BUT.... Who wants a 4K TV under 50 inches????

    I would love that TV for my bedroom. I have a non 4K 32" in it right now.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @wrbird said:
    The Essential has the notch, no external storage, and no audio jack. Yes, I know, I'm old school but thankfully there's still phones out there that have these features and no notch. I have no interest in an Android that mimics an iPhone.

    I agree. I won't buy a phone with a notch.

  • marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 116 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:
    One Plus 6 on sale tomorrow. Anyone biting?

    I'll be buying it this week as soon as pay day rolls around.

  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:
    One Plus 6 on sale tomorrow. Anyone biting?

    I might get one. I do hope there will be a trade in program in Canada, because the Axon7 is worth close to nothing right now

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @marcwool1 said:

    @jasonscarter said:
    One Plus 6 on sale tomorrow. Anyone biting?

    I'll be buying it this week as soon as pay day rolls around.

    I am sure it will sell out today. Sale starts at 10am eastern. Second batch probably be ready early June.

  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    No rush. I can wait my Axon work great. Also this give time to see things evolve!

  • kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @marcwool1 said:

    @jasonscarter said:
    One Plus 6 on sale tomorrow. Anyone biting?

    I'll be buying it this week as soon as pay day rolls around.

    The two things that have always put me off to One Plus is the lack of expandable storage and their proprietary charger. I haven't been able to get past those issues so far.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @kidnova said:

    @marcwool1 said:

    @jasonscarter said:
    One Plus 6 on sale tomorrow. Anyone biting?

    I'll be buying it this week as soon as pay day rolls around.

    The two things that have always put me off to One Plus is the lack of expandable storage and their proprietary charger. I haven't been able to get past those issues so far.

    You can use another charger, you just won't get the fast charge capabilities. Some would say the quick charge charger with the A7 is proprietary. Everybody is doing thier own charging thing it seems like now.

  • wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @kidnova I totally agree with you, not to mention the notch.
    @jasonscarter I have a couple different third party fast chargers that fast charge my A7. It's definitely not proprietary.

  • kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:

    @kidnova said:

    @marcwool1 said:

    @jasonscarter said:
    One Plus 6 on sale tomorrow. Anyone biting?

    I'll be buying it this week as soon as pay day rolls around.

    The two things that have always put me off to One Plus is the lack of expandable storage and their proprietary charger. I haven't been able to get past those issues so far.

    You can use another charger, you just won't get the fast charge capabilities. Some would say the quick charge charger with the A7 is proprietary. Everybody is doing thier own charging thing it seems like now.

    I can't think of who would say the quick charger with the A7 is proprietary since it supports QC 3.0. That would be a huge stretch. OP has refused to implement QC because they want to push their overpriced dash chargers on you. That's fine for them from a business perspective, but it's not for me as a consumer who already owns multiple QC 3.0 chargers.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @wrbird said:
    @kidnova I totally agree with you, not to mention the notch.
    @jasonscarter I have a couple different third party fast chargers that fast charge my A7. It's definitely not proprietary.

    There are third party ones, but some still argued when the whole micro USB thing went away when you could basically use a charger from any phone to charge yours. You can still use another charger, it just won't quick charge. Just like if you were using the USB port in your car or your computer to charge your phone. It works, just slower. I don't consider it a deal breaker. I had Huawei phones, and they do their own thing as well. Not everyone is doing QC 2.0/3/0 (if 4.0 out yet?)

  • kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:

    @wrbird said:
    @kidnova I totally agree with you, not to mention the notch.
    @jasonscarter I have a couple different third party fast chargers that fast charge my A7. It's definitely not proprietary.

    There are third party ones, but some still argued when the whole micro USB thing went away when you could basically use a charger from any phone to charge yours. You can still use another charger, it just won't quick charge. Just like if you were using the USB port in your car or your computer to charge your phone. It works, just slower. I don't consider it a deal breaker. I had Huawei phones, and they do their own thing as well. Not everyone is doing QC 2.0/3/0 (if 4.0 out yet?)

    Fair enough, but to me not being able to quick charge would be a deal breaker. Have you seen how long it takes to charge one of these big batteries with a trickle charger? Yes, there are a few companies doing their own proprietary charging technology, primarily Apple, Huawei, and OnePlus. It's no coincidence that I've not owned any of those devices in many, many years.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I use an old adapter at work because I didn't want to spend the money on an extra quick charge for my A7. Cables is another pain if you have multiple phones. I don't know how many variants of USB type C cables I have had to buy. Huawei is USB C to USB C with their adapters to phone. ZTE and others are USB A to Micro USB C. And I had to get another kind of my car due to the length I needed. After years and years of Micro USB everything, I have a stockpile of adapters and cables I can't use anymore. Anyone need some cables?

    As for One Plus 6...one minute I am thinking "yeah, lets get it!" Then the next I am like "but what if something else comes out that will work for me, that is cheaper!"

    Sales start in 20 min. Wonder how fast they will go. And One Plus 6T is probally just around the corner.

    Looking at my A7 on my desk....I just hate to see myself having to spend over $100 more than what I spent on the A7 when it came out my next phone. ZTE spoiled me on pricing.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2018 10:36AM

    Looks like LG is doing a second year warranty for thier flagship phones:
    http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/warranty

    G7 ThinQ, V30, V30+, V30S ThinQ models.

    That is a good thing if warranty is important to you. Will be just as good as having that 2 year warranty with the Axon 7.

  • wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:
    Looking at my A7 on my desk....I just hate to see myself having to spend over $100 more than what I spent on the A7 when it came out my next phone. ZTE spoiled me on pricing.

    Yes, I'm definitely spoiled with this A7 and am in no rush to get it replaced. It still works perfect, and yes, I'm not getting the updates, but I'm ok with that. By the time I'm ready to replace it there'll be a whole new generation of phones to choose from☺️

  • alferalfer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My A7 is a marvel of "budget" phones no doubt and I love the features it offers, but I decided this week to dust off my S8 to start making it my daily phone now that it's on Oreo and will get security updates.

  • wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @alfer said:
    My A7 is a marvel of "budget" phones no doubt and I love the features it offers, but I decided this week to dust off my S8 to start making it my daily phone now that it's on Oreo and will get security updates.

    You can't beat that option!

  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I used to think that I needed one of the top-of-the-line killer flagships like the Samsung Galaxy Note. That is until one day I finally realized that I used a fraction of the phone capabilities. Now, I'm perfectly satisfied with a phone that cost half as much. Don't get sucked in by these corporations' marketing hype. They'll do everything they can to make you feel like you need one of these things that you don't. It's how they make money.

  • alferalfer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2018 5:22PM

    I agree to an extent. But so far of the 2 "flagship" mid-range unlocked phones I've purchased, all of them have quickly become obsolete software wise because the companies just don't support them past the time they are being sold in stores. Once stores stop carrying them (less than a years time) the phones start seeing fewer and fewer feature/security updates and become slower and in the end abandoned much quicker than the mainstream flagship phones like my S8 etc.

    Sure it's "cool" at times to be the guy with the "unique" off brand phone with "cooler" features, but that excitement fades all too fast. Then you're left with a $300/400 near brick phone.

  • marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 116 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bought my OnePlus 6 this afternoon.

    Expandable storage doesn't matter to me if I have more than enough onboard storage.
    On my Axon, I'm using a grand total of 20 gigs, and half of that is on the SD card.
    The 128 gig OnePlus 6 will last me until I'm ready to buy a newer phone down the line.

    The dash charging is fine because I can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't use it, and Charging with a standard charger is still much faster that charging with a trickle-charge, so worst-case scenario, it'd be fine.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I decided to go against the OP6 at this time. Still holding out for something else. I just don't know what that something else is.

  • sedp23sedp23 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

    Asus Zenfone 5z. It's the same phone in this video but with a sd 845 processor. This will be my next phone

    Should be $499

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @sedp23 said:
    Asus Zenfone 5z. It's the same phone in this video but with a sd 845 processor. This will be my next phone

    Should be $499

    I don't want an imported phone personally. ASUS still hasn't announced US dates for any series 5 phone yet.

  • dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,212 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jasonscarter said:
    Looks like LG is doing a second year warranty for thier flagship phones:
    http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/warranty

    G7 ThinQ, V30, V30+, V30S ThinQ models.

    That is a good thing if warranty is important to you. Will be just as good as having that 2 year warranty with the Axon 7.

    It's good to see another manufacturer offering the 2 yr. warranty. I'm on T-Mobile and the G7 is just too expensive for me.

Sign In or Register to comment.