Suggestions for A7 replacement?

Comments

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 161 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Amen to the no notch! ☺️

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2018 9:16PM

Not sure you'll have much choice about phones without notches, in the future.

I don't understand the opposition to it, it's barely noticeable as most apps are unable to use it yet, but when you can use it, (like for your home screen) it's great.
    Here's some examples:
    Home screen with notch,
    Google Chrome as it displays on a notched phone.

• erichopeerichope San Francisco, CA, USAPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcwool1 said:

I don't understand the opposition to it, it's barely noticeable as most apps are unable to use it yet, but when you can use it, (like for your home screen) it's great.
    Here's some examples:
    Home screen with notch,

I think people react strongly to the notch because it seems derivative of Apple's design. I know Essential did it first, but the notch, as it appears on most phones that sport it today, is similar in appearance to Apple's execution. And we know how much Android manufacturers love to blatantly copy Apple! It just seems like everyone was falling over themselves to be the FIRST to copy them this time. I have a lot of respect for Samsung NOT following that trend (or the "no headphone jack" trend, that other Android manufacturers ALSO copy from Apple), and doing their own thing. That was worth my dollars. So I got the S9+. If it wouldn't have been this, I probably would have chosen the LG V30.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we talk about the A7 replacement, how do you think ZTE will market their phone after what is happening? Will they be very agressive in the marketing, flagship Axon9 for a very good price to get market share? Or will they go the safe, mid-range/low-range phone?

I personnaly would like ZTE go all-in with the Axon9, flagship phone, priced under the O+6, with a very good camera, but no gimmick AI.

@erichope said:

@marcwool1 said:

Here's some examples:
    Home screen with notch,

I think people react strongly to the notch because it seems derivative of Apple's design. I know Essential did it first, but the notch, as it appears on most phones that sport it today, is similar in appearance to Apple's execution. And we know how much Android manufacturers love to blatantly copy Apple! It just seems like everyone was falling over themselves to be the FIRST to copy them this time. I have a lot of respect for Samsung NOT following that trend (or the "no headphone jack" trend, that other Android manufacturers ALSO copy from Apple), and doing their own thing. That was worth my dollars. So I got the S9+. If it wouldn't have been this, I probably would have chosen the LG V30.

Personally I'm not reacting to the imitation of an iPhone. If it actually added value then I'm all for it, copy someone else's design, that's fine. The problem with the notch, so aptly illustrated in the above pic, especially for us OCD types, it's a distraction. It's like going into an art museum and admiring a Rembrandt. The only problem is that someone flicked a booger on it, so now what's the only thing people notice, that darn booger. 😂😂

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2018 6:53PM

@acatrus said:
    Since we talk about the A7 replacement, how do you think ZTE will market their phone after what is happening? Will they be very agressive in the marketing, flagship Axon9 for a very good price to get market share? Or will they go the safe, mid-range/low-range phone?

I personnaly would like ZTE go all-in with the Axon9, flagship phone, priced under the O+6, with a very good camera, but no gimmick AI.

If they get to move forward, they will have new management and would have lost at least 3 months of development and testing time. They also have taken a big cash flow hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beef up on those carrier and lower cost MVNO devices and not focus on a A9 where they have to go it alone as far as marketing and sales support. Just my opinion. But no idea what direction new management will go. They also may be tied up with new USA compliance officers who will slow things down. They have to find and hire those as well. So it might be 4 months of downtime by the time they can get going again.

And there is Congress, who is getting ready to stop any deal in it's tracks. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-27/rubio-sees-supermajority-backing-for-possible-bid-to-block-zte

• crcostelcrcostel ChicagoPosts: 62 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly my biggest regret of the A7 has been the capacitative buttons. I’m old school and want a real home button. The best of those right now is the View 10, but thats a risky bet in this environment. So i have to decide between the U11 and the Z2 Force.

Any thoughts?

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not meaning to sem argumentative, but....

Z2 Force = $720. Not a reasonable price in my opinion, although I expect many people will pay it.

U11 available only from Verizon? Perhaps only Apple is more greedy and charges higher overall prices.

I wonder if people who object to the notch are viewing it differently.
    I don't see it as something over top of the image, I see it as extra pieces of the image on either side of the notch.
    Without the notch, it would be all black with no extra pieces of image.

If you're going to have a solid black bar at the top of the screen, that reduces your usuable space, than you may as well have a phone with giant bezels.

• crcostelcrcostel ChicagoPosts: 62 ✭✭✭✭

@birkbinnard said:

Z2 Force = $720. Not a reasonable price in my opinion, although I expect many people will pay it.

U11 available only from Verizon? Perhaps only Apple is more greedy and charges higher overall prices.

@birkbinnard said:

Att's is now 400 from Moto and you can get a refurb for 250 easy.

U11 is available for all 4 carriers.

One issue of mine is that neither is terribly more up-to-date on security patches than the A7 (U11 is December/Moto is Jan 18)

@crcostel said:

@birkbinnard said:

@birkbinnard said:

One issue of mine is that neither is terribly more up-to-date on security patches than the A7 (U11 is December/Moto is Jan 18)

U12 is out now.....but is more expensive. You can get either from HTC.com unlocked. Nokia 6.1 is at least Android One, but it's no where need the A7 spec wise. With my .edu address I could get a 5% discount on the One Plus 6...but eh...that notch.

• webman1956webman1956 United StatesPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crcostel said:

@birkbinnard said:

@birkbinnard said:

I think the LG G6 or maybe the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge are great replacement for the Axon 7. Both can be had new for around $400 or less and both have or will have Oreo. The G6 is not much of a looker though.

@webman1956 said:

@crcostel said:

@birkbinnard said:

@birkbinnard said:

I think the LG G6 or maybe the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge are great replacement for the Axon 7. Both can be had new for around $400 or less and both have or will have Oreo. The G6 is not much of a looker though.

LG does offer 2 years of warranty with registration though. That's better than 1 year from others if that's important to you.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2018 10:47AM

The Moto Z3 Play is another option if you're willing to accept a SD 636 instead of the latest 800 series CPU. They just announced some details including a 6 inch 2:1 AMOLED display and it sounds like they're throwing in their 2000 mAh mod battery pack with the unlocked version at $499. It also has as close to a pure Android experience you can get outside of a Pixel phone.

@kidnova said:
    The Moto Z3 Play is another option if you're willing to accept a SD 636 instead of the latest 800 series CPU. They just announced some details including a 6 inch 2:1 AMOLED display and it sounds like they're throwing in their 2000 mAh mod battery pack with the unlocked version at $499. It also has as close to a pure Android experience you can get outside of a Pixel phone.

SD 630/636 wouldn't bother me at all personally, but at $499, you are getting just $30 within One Plus 6 territory, which I think is a no brainer at that point right now.

I am testing a Sony XA2 Ultra with a 630 right now, and performance is fine. Battery life is killer with the 6xx series chipset. It has some quirks in other areas like built in storage being only 32GB, and some weird Bluetooth issue since it's only on 8.0 instead of 8.1

edited June 6, 2018 12:20PM

@jasonscarter said:

@kidnova said:

SD 630/636 wouldn't bother me at all personally, but at $499, you are getting just $30 within One Plus 6 territory, which I think is a no brainer at that point right now.

I am testing a Sony XA2 Ultra with a 630 right now, and performance is fine. Battery life is killer with the 6xx series chipset. It has some quirks in other areas like built in storage being only 32GB, and some weird Bluetooth issue since it's only on 8.0 instead of 8.1

Well, the Z3 has a few differences that some might view as benefits over the One Plus.

1) Expandable storage
    2) Close to stock Android
    3) Supports QC 3.0 (4.0?)

On the other hand, the OP6 has the faster CPU, more RAM, and a headphone jack, so it certainly has advantages over the Z3 plus. If I were buying one for myself I'd probably lean towards the OP6, but the expandable storage and QC support on the Moto would make it a tougher decision that it may appear on its face.

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2018 1:15PM

I am currently using an Honor 7x and like it. For the price, it is darn good phone. Though I do understand some people have concerns about another Chinese company.

@chuckbort said:
    I am currently using an Honor 7x and like it. For the price, it is darn good phone. Though I do understand some people have concerns about another Chinese company.

My concerns are more about what will the US Govt do that makes it really tough for them, and they then just pull out of the USA device market and leave my device unsupported as far as warranty and software updates. Huawei already stated they are scaling back here since its so tough to break in and get carrier deals now. Plus Best Buy dropping them becuase of political pressure. They are focusing on growth in Europe.

The ASUS ZenFone 5Q was just released. Looks like a viable replacement for the Axon 7. However, now that ZTE is back in business I can patiently wait for the next generation Axon since my 7's still working flawlessly.

Aren't Asus phones very expensive?
    Shouldn't a replacement for the Axon 7 be within the same price range?

@marcwool1 said:

5q is $299.99 on Amazon pre-order

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:

@marcwool1 said:

No Band 71 is a no go for me. I like the wide angle lens though. But whatever phone I end up getting next will have band 71 for T-Mobile.

@hollap said:

@jasonscarter said:

@marcwool1 said:

No Band 71 is a no go for me. I like the wide angle lens though. But whatever phone I end up getting next will have band 71 for T-Mobile.

@hollap So does your region support the 600MHz spectrum? Last I read T-Mobile is rolling it out to their customers who are in rural areas or areas that currently have poor coverage. Larger cities won't be added for a few more years. I can probable find that article if you're interested. Also I would imagine that phones with band 71 will be above the midrange price that we're discussing here. But that's my guess, I could be totally wrong.

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best deal I've seen lately was last Sunday. Amazon had the Huawei Mate 10 Pro 64GB (US ver) unlocked for $428.

I know some will shy away because of the brand. But if Huawei is a decent company they will honor any US warranty on their products. You may have to ship it back to Huawei for warranty work but that isn't any different than ZTE.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wrbird said:

@hollap said:

@jasonscarter said:

@marcwool1 said:

@hollap So does your region support the 600MHz spectrum? Last I read T-Mobile is rolling it out to their customers who are in rural areas or areas that currently have poor coverage. Larger cities won't be added for a few more years. I can probable find that article if you're interested. Also I would imagine that phones with band 71 will be above the midrange price that we're discussing here. But that's my guess, I could be totally wrong.

@wrbird I saw that article also. I remember looking at the areas that have it now and my area (Las Vegas) didn't have it yet. You are right to they are rolling it out to the areas with the weakest a coverage first.

• Mach1naMach1na Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't stand notches, so I swapped for an LG V30+ and couldn't be happier.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:

@wrbird said:

@hollap said:

@jasonscarter said:

@marcwool1 said:

@wrbird I saw that article also. I remember looking at the areas that have it now and my area (Las Vegas) didn't have it yet. You are right to they are rolling it out to the areas with the weakest a coverage first.

my brother owns a cabin in northern Wisconsin that is now blanketed in 600mHz. They are rolling it out to rural areas first. so I would get use immediately. where I live it's not there yet, but will be during the lifetime of my next phone.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:

@dnewman007 said:

@wrbird said:

@hollap said:

@jasonscarter said:

@marcwool1 said:

my brother owns a cabin in northern Wisconsin that is now blanketed in 600mHz. They are rolling it out to rural areas first. so I would get use immediately. where I live it's not there yet, but will be during the lifetime of my next phone.

I'm with you on wanting my next device having be Channel 71.

@Mach1na said:
    Can't stand notches, so I swapped for an LG V30+ and couldn't be happier.

@Mach1na I'm with you on the notch. Is your LG a US or international model? What was the cost? My Axon 7 was $400. I'm curious if it's a viable replacement cost wise.

@wrbird said:
    The ASUS ZenFone 5Q was just released. Looks like a viable replacement for the Axon 7. However, now that ZTE is back in business I can patiently wait for the next generation Axon since my 7's still working flawlessly.

Interesting. With a SD 630 and 3300 Mah battery it should have pretty great stamina. Not sure if you saw the announcement a couple days ago, but the US Congress drafted an amendment to the defense spending bill that would block the ZTE deal so they're not out of the woods yet unless Trump is willing to veto the defense bill.