Contacts constantly deleting

HingeHinge United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭

Anyone else experiencing repeatedly finding contacts being deleted. Not just a few but 1000 or more 4 times since purchasing phone

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you saving contacts locally on the phone, or syncing them through Gmail? Outlook? Some other email service?

• HingeHinge United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭

Yes in the ZTE Axon M phone Contacts app. One morning I woke up there were 422 and when I went to sleep 8 hours earlier, there were 1878. This has happened at least three times in 3 weeks.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If the contact is saved to the gmail account? If so, how many contacts do you have showing up when you log into your gmail account?

I am thinking that maybe the contact is not synced properly and that is why you saw it showing as 422 but then showing up as 1878. Sometimes if you have other branded phones previous that has some customization for their contacts app like setting up groups or if the contact has special character or phone is not entered correctly, etc, it can cause issue syncing with another phone. Try to look through your list of contacts on your google account on a browser and edit them if needed, then resync to the phone to see if that helps.

@Hinge said:
    Yes in the ZTE Axon M phone Contacts app. One morning I woke up there were 422 and when I went to sleep 8 hours earlier, there were 1878. This has happened at least three times in 3 weeks.

Yes it the contacts locally? Or Yes the contacts are sync'd from a email service like GMAIL, Hotmail, Office 365, Exchange server, etc....? That very much depends on how we go about troubleshooting the issue.

Sorry for the delay. I am new to Android OS. Prior phone was a Microsoft phone. So best I can describe, transfered Contacts over from Microsoft phone into Axon phone Contacts, via ATT transfer doftware. Not sure how or if this Contact app on my Axon phone is Google or some other app. I am assuming it is Google app this being an Android OS

@Hinge said:
    Sorry for the delay. I am new to Android OS. Prior phone was a Microsoft phone. So best I can describe, transfered Contacts over from Microsoft phone into Axon phone Contacts, via ATT transfer doftware. Not sure how or if this Contact app on my Axon phone is Google or some other app. I am assuming it is Google app this being an Android OS

If you used ATT transfer software, then you contacts are stored locally on the phone. I would suggest you take the time to put them inside and email account that can be syncd to the device, and any future device you may have. That will help you out with this issue, and not having to worry about manually transferring contacts when you get a new phone. Yes, you will have to type them all in, but it's a one time thing, unless the ATT transfer software and spit out a CSV file or something.

Thank you for understanding the problem, your solution doesn't address the reason which leads me to to think the contact app built in to the phone and the working of the app is a failure of the phone, unfortunately. This is a basic function of any cell phone and should not have arisen as a problem in the first place. Indication of poor quality control in manufacturing. Wish there would be a real permanent fix.

@Hinge said:
    Thank you for understanding the problem, your solution doesn't address the reason which leads me to to think the contact app built in to the phone and the working of the app is a failure of the phone, unfortunately. This is a basic function of any cell phone and should not have arisen as a problem in the first place. Indication of poor quality control in manufacturing. Wish there would be a real permanent fix.

Not knowing really what the ATT transfer software does, I can't really speculate what happened or what is happening with the original contacts transfer. I always sync my contacts from an email account and have never had a problem going back to smartphones back to 2008. You sure the contact view just isn't getting changed? Possible wrong account selected/unselected?

Did it again, was sorta fine up till yesterday. Was havinng Contact lookup issues for a while. Had to scroll to get contact, then boom, all 2055 contacts disappeared down to 50. A most basic function not cooperating, really tiring having to put up with such unacceptable performance. What can it be, poor coding, inferior hardware components, inferior manufacturing. ZTE will never be World Class with failings like this. Pick up your game ZTE, you created a great idea, you just need to execute and follow throuugh all the way, not half way and show consumers you really care about the real experiennce you designed for them.

• deerme86deerme86 Posts: 6 ✭✭

I recently had a similar problem. My contacts have always been saved in Google. I get this phone over a year ago (maybe over 2 years by now) and noticed that some contacts were saving to the phone instead. I took the time to figure out how to import them to Google and made sure I wasn't saving any others to the phone. Everything worked fine for a while until I realized that some contacts were randomly disappearing recently (within the last month or so). So I would recreate them only to realize I was creating duplicates in Google. Once I recreated the contacts after a short while they would disappear again even though I see them on my computer. So I backed up my phone, reset it to factory settings and loaded everything again only to notice even more contacts disappearing now. I loaded a previously saved contact file that I found in settings somewhere, likely an old cloud backup, and it added contacts back but I'm still missing many who have been in my Google account for years. I can no longer just start typing a name on the dialer because many contacts are no longer showing in the phone. I can't figure out why my phone isn't displaying things correctly. I even downloaded Google's contacts app to use instead of the stock app and still have the same problem. Please help!!

• BillyBeckhamBillyBeckham CanadaPosts: 16 ✭✭✭

If you have encountered one of above situations and lost your important files, such as contacts, from ZTE phones and want to get them back, then you can use MobiKin Doctor for Android to restore lost contacts from ZTE cell phones. This Android-based tool has an intuitive interface to help you get back what you need without any technical knowledge.It enables Android users to scan both internal memory and external SD card to find and recover contacts, text messages, photos, videos, music and many more files.