Based off Tweet ZTE Might Have Something for IFA 2018!

Comments

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

With the notch and ZTE's track record of security updates I'm going to pass. I absolutely won't buy a phone with a notch.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@underthehill said:
    It also looks like it might be the first device released with 5G since all the marketing stuff so far says "Leading 5G Innovations". As far as carriers supporting 5G, that's a different matter.

I'd settle for better coverage across the board before needing 5G download speeds.

@ram1220 said:

With the notch and ZTE's track record of security updates I'm going to pass. I absolutely won't buy a phone with a notch.

From what I read it looks like 2019 will be the year of the notchless phone possibly.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,111 mod

@hollap said:

@engelsprite said:

@hollap said:
    Nice find @engelsprite ! Love the blue color for sure!

You're welcome 😁 ✌️, but the Iceberg design looks much better imo and why removing the dual front facing speakers to go mainstream like everyone

Yeah I was a fan of the Iceburg concept as well. Not sure what plans, if any, they may or may not have for that device, or if the leak was even credible for that matter.

The iceburg concept looked amazing! Definitely hoping to see it and dual front facing Axon goodness!!! 😎

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It better have crazy spec, because with this picture.... I pass.

Notch - Too big
    Stereo speaker - Maybe top & bottom
    Camera - Must be very good to support the notch

Judging by the picture, the 9 won't have the effect the 7 had when it launched.

But ZTE can show us we're wrong in the design. Let's wait and see.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@acatrus said:

Notch - Too big

it looks like an iPhone X sized touch, doesn't seem to look anything like the monstrosity that is the Pixel 3 XL and Poco F1. I hope ZTE includes software to hide the notch.

IMO the Axon 7 beat the Oneplus 3 because it had better speakers, display, and sd card support. As long as the Axon 9 has these (as well as good software) it can complete with the Oneplus 6T.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hate the notch but actually liked the iceberg concept. Here we have a notch plus a chin and if there aren't 2 front-facing speakers then I'm very disappointed. Even with dual front-facing speakers, I don't think I could buy a phone with a notch at this point. Let's at least hope they kept the headphone jack.

@saeedted said:

@acatrus said:

Notch - Too big

it looks like an iPhone X sized touch, doesn't seem to look anything like the monstrosity that is the Pixel 3 XL and Poco F1. I hope ZTE includes software to hide the notch.

IMO the Axon 7 beat the Oneplus 3 because it had better speakers, display, and sd card support. As long as the Axon 9 has these (as well as good software) it can complete with the Oneplus 6T.

Except that TMobile will be selling the 6T. Carrier is king in the US.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Going with the trend on notches..

The notch is not the problem, but part of the problem.

A notch with ok camera is not good. But 2 excellent front facing camera, it's fine.

Give it stock android/project treble for fast update, the phone stand a chance.

Amoled screen high dpi, with software to hide the notch, maybe.

Sounds... Right now we don't see the side, top and bottom. Where can the speaker be hided, this can surprise us.

We can't judge a product by a picture, but the 1st impression is not good, at least to me.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 126 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also not the biggest fan of the notch. But to be fair, I haven't really used a phone with one yet.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I really don't mind the notch. Hopefully it will have close to stock Android software. Dual front facing speakers is one of the things I like most about the A7. However dual speakers using the earpiece speaker and the bottom speaker is also a good option. I wonder if they will have a beta test program for the Axon 9.

Also many SD845 with decent price are hitting the market. So the 9 don't have the timing on it's side.

6T, 5Z, PoccoF1 and many more

• rasalonrasalon Customer Service/PC Technician United StatesPosts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @hollap

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As @acatrus stated there's a lot of competitively priced smartphones out in the market right now. That doesn't make things easy for the Axon 9. On top of which the design looks like it's trying to copy the iPhone X, which isn't bad but that bottom chin is just too big. I would prefer if they just took the Samsung route if they plan on keeping a chin that big anyways because I don't think the notch does much for devices with chins

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2018 10:52AM

@dnewman007 said:
    Personally I really don't mind the notch. Hopefully it will have close to stock Android software. Dual front facing speakers is one of the things I like most about the A7. However dual speakers using the earpiece speaker and the bottom speaker is also a good option. I wonder if they will have a beta test program for the Axon 9.

If so, it would be awesome to be chosen!!

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the price of the A9 & A Pro is as competitive as the A7 was compared to other devices of similar specs. I think it definitely is going to have to undercut the OP6 & 6T release prices (especially with T-Mo/OP deal) to catch a buyer's attention beyond A7 & ZTE loyalists.

@chuckbort said:
    I just want to say how happy I am to have all this discussion and excitement again!

Couldn't agree with you more @chuckbort!

I will say this. Notch or no notch when it comes down to it for me it's performance that counts. Give me a relatively fast device with smooth running software and a huge battery and I'd be very happy.

Now, with the notch, from what I understand there are very few panel makers, but many OEMs. The OEMs have limited options available to them when it comes to panel design as far as I know, which is why you see copycat devices all the time, especially when you are not Samsung or LG and make your own panels. Add to that Google fully supporting the notch lifestyle, and you have a perfect storm of how the notch came to be.

From what I researched, notchless designs won't be out until 2019 at the earliest, unless you want the large north and south bezels ala Samsung. So it is what it is. I'm with Chuck though. I'm just glad to be talking about it again!

@chuckbort said:
    I just want to say how happy I am to have all this discussion and excitement again!

@chuckbort I agree!

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chuckbort said:

Amen to that brother!

Hollap is right -Carrier is King in the US. Alot of new customers are gonna know about Oneplus and once they see how good the 6T is (assumption but c'mon no T reease has sucked so far) they less likely to try out other affordable flagships from other OEMs like ZTE imo.

• engelspriteengelsprite GermanyPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    I will say this. Notch or no notch when it comes down to it for me it's performance that counts. Give me a relatively fast device with smooth running software and a huge battery and I'd be very happy.

Now, with the notch, from what I understand there are very few panel makers, but many OEMs. The OEMs have limited options available to them when it comes to panel design as far as I know, which is why you see copycat devices all the time, especially when you are not Samsung or LG and make your own panels. Add to that Google fully supporting the notch lifestyle, and you have a perfect storm of how the notch came to be.

From what I researched, notchless designs won't be out until 2019 at the earliest, unless you want the large north and south bezels ala Samsung. So it is what it is. I'm with Chuck though. I'm just glad to be talking about it again!

I appreciate the info on how the notch came to be. But for me I hate them. Looks like I'll hang onto my A7 until 2019 at least. If the A7 craps out I still have a perfectly working HTC One M7. I don't care how good the specs are. I won't buy a phone with a notch.

Me it's getting the best for the price, and in a certain way being unique.

I was unique with my Axon7, as very few had an Axon7 in Canada.

ZTE need to upgrade the camera in general, so this will be important for the 9 to go on par with at least OP6.

If there is no HIFI dac like the 7, it's a shame, because still today when people listen to my 7 they are curious.

Glass or Metal don't matter to me, we all use a case.

Let's see what kind of spec ZTE will give us.

But like I said, the competition is too strong. They don't stand a chance if they don't have something apart from the rest

Verifying what most have already guessed for specs, but there seems to be more and more leaks every day. August 30th is not far off now! Nice find @engelsprite !

• rasalonrasalon Customer Service/PC Technician United StatesPosts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody know here if the announcement will be broadcasted live on the 30th and how to watch it?

@engelsprite, Nice find. Thanks for posting it

@rasalon said:
    Anybody know here if the announcement will be broadcasted live on the 30th and how to watch it?

Chinese site Weibo I think will have it. But I'm not positive on that.

Not sure if this is new news or not?