Based off Tweet ZTE Might Have Something for IFA 2018!

Comments

• lee18lee18 United StatesPosts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't hate notches. Curious to see what they have in store for us on the 30th.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    Not sure if this is new news or not?

@hollap, interesting.

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

oh so the A9 is coming. Looks ok minus the toolish notch like the others. Hopefully they wont chince on the antenna.

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

From ZTE Devices Twitter feed today. Can't wait.

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully, this will be my first Axon device.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I sure hope it doesn't ship with 8.1. They should come out in full force with 9 out of the box. Axon 9 with Android 9! They need the tech enthusiasts on board to help spread the word and repair the name of ZTE in the market so the general consumer just reading the news headlines know it's a safe and good device to buy.

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 12:29AM

@jasonscarter Rumor mill for Axon 9 is 8.1 with latest security patch as of release. I am sure they are working on 9.x for it, but with all the backlog from the Ban, The Axon 7/7 Mini has not gotten Oreo (8.x) yet. I figured as promised the 7 was going to get Oreo, beta and all and then the ban happened. ZTE was already working on the A9, So now that the A9 is out, the real question is, will they still finalize and finish the update to Oreo on A7/ 7 Mini's or since the 9 is out no more updates for it. I figure since ZTE promised 2 years of support for the A7/ A7 Mini, then I assume it will be 2 years from the date ZTE stopped selling it. So I am hoping that A7/A7 Mini will get some version of Oreo (8.0/8.1) with the latest security fixes, and then only thing we will see after that is any major bug or security patches needed until 2 years from the last sale. As far as 9 Pie on A9, If ZTE catches back up to where they were, follow the same formula as the 7 meaning 2 year passport warranty meaning that ZTE will support this phone and it's variants for 2 years, we will see Pie (9) soon and Pie 9.x after and whatever Q will be if that is released next year on it. Keep in mind the A7/Mini came with Android 6 and within months was upgraded to 6.1 then a few months later, 7, then a month or two after that (now we are like 6 months later) we are on 7.1 and Daydream support. Then we got a couple of security/feature updates with bug fixes after that but that stopped since A7/Mini was going to get Oreo then the ban happened. So I conclude by saying, We'll see what ZTE announces for US sale as far as the A9 and it's variants, but even though they got their act together with a A9, ZTE is still recovering and going back to normal and when they do, ZTE unlocked devices in the US will have a regular update schedule again I think. Also I think now they can get the parts for their American Standard Toilets/Urinals in their headquarters in China which doesn't hurt. LOL.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    I sure hope it doesn't ship with 8.1. They should come out in full force with 9 out of the box. Axon 9 with Android 9! They need the tech enthusiasts on board to help spread the word and repair the name of ZTE in the market so the general consumer just reading the news headlines know it's a safe and good device to buy.

Based on the finger in the pie comment, Axon 9 just may come out with the Android Pie. If so then it will be the first phone that is released with the new update.

Hopefully that is true @saeedted if I were them, I would pull development resources off other models to make it happen. They have to make it the best it can be out of the gate. They need to prove themselves. Competition is fierce. They won't have carrier deals for it in the USA (unless there is a surprise announcement). One Plus 6T is getting a carrier deal. They need to come out swinging. Agresssive price point as well.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget it may not be be the first released with pie. This is just an announcement tomorrow I'm guessing. But it's encouraging none the less.

With nothing announced, it's all speculation. Lets wait and see. I am hoping they can at least achieve an aggressive retail price point like with the Axon 7. Time to rebuild those relationships that were hurt with the ban.

Not necessarily related to the A9, IFA, but a article just popped up and a good read right before Ifa.

https://cnet.com/news/ztes-production-is-back-on-track-after-lifting-of-us-ban-execs-say/

@rasalon said:
    Not necessarily related to the A9, IFA, but a article just popped up and a good read right before Ifa.

https://cnet.com/news/ztes-production-is-back-on-track-after-lifting-of-us-ban-execs-say/

Interesting article @rasalon thanks for posting! It's good to see small tidbits of good news starting to filter out on a more consistent basis now.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/zte-axon-9-news/amp/

The Article above from digitaltrebds claims that the Axon 9 isn't. Coming to the US at all. Unless they just mean the pro version only which would make sense. The Axon 7 was the same. We got the regular version and except for a limited release the higher ram/room version stayed in China. We'll see what they announce tomorrow. Availability and pricing etc. Hopefully the Axon 7 is not where ZTE's US journey ends.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rasalon said:

The Article above from digitaltrebds claims that the Axon 9 isn't. Coming to the US at all. Unless they just mean the pro version only which would make sense. The Axon 7 was the same. We got the regular version and except for a limited release the higher ram/room version stayed in China. We'll see what they announce tomorrow. Availability and pricing etc. Hopefully the Axon 7 is not where ZTE's US journey ends.

@rasalon Interesting article. So the Axon 9 supposedly won't have the notch but the Axon 9 Pro will. I guess we will know for sure in a few hours. Exciting times!

@rasalon said:

So sort of like the Mate 10 release but in reverse... Well if that means we have a headphone jack :D

Very interesting indeed. Many Chinese manufacturers don't mention at their release announcements whether or not devices will be sold in the US or other countries, so that's not surprising. We'll see what happens today!

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do we know at what time they unveil the Axon9?

What are your guys thoughts?

edited August 30, 2018 10:35AM

Doesn't appear the phone is coming to the US according to Engadget. Though I'm not sure the phone would have been too competitive here anyways given the price point.

• underthehillunderthehill United StatesPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are two more links:

https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-9-pro-899487/
    https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-9-pro-review-898917/

It mentions no microSD support, which is odd if it has the dual-SIM/microSD tray like the Axon 7.

Not so sure. The hands on was pretty quick. Ok fine with ZTE Visions and it seems to have a HDR mode, but if the device is not L1 certified, who cares.

Didn't know much about the camera, seems decent. IP68 is great. Missed the part if it's stereo or not.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm...

Just watched the stream on Facebook.

Stereo Speaker, Stock Android, Dolby Atmos, solid camera apparently

No expectation for North America, so no information about LTE band

@underthehill said:
    Here are two more links:

https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-9-pro-899487/
    https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-9-pro-review-898917/

It mentions no microSD support, which is odd if it has the dual-SIM/microSD tray like the Axon 7.

Approximately $757- seems a fair price given the specs. Imo that is a proper procedure for a flagship.

No sold yet, but it's a solid contended for what is offered for the price. But if there is no North American support, it's a no for me

edited August 30, 2018 11:36AM

Hmmm, no USA release at launch, or even a hint that it's coming later on. That doesn't sound good for us here looking for a A7 replacement. The wait continues. Other phones are launching so I have a lot of news to catch up on. Maybe ZTE USA will have some news to share soon about when/if we can expect it here. Love they went with a bigger battery!

• rick50rick50 Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been nothing but a big waste of time......

I don't think this phone will be coming to the US at all do to issues with the ban like Hauwei phones as I have mentioned previously. They didn't announce a non pro version of the Axon 9. So as my ZTE Axon 7 is out of the 2 year Passport Warranty, My battery doesn't last as long as it used to, and quick charging is gone as well as charging while the phone is on as well as charging unless I have the stock charger in a certain position. But again this is the longest I have had a smart phone work. Like I said in a previous post, I will use my A7 as long as I can tolerate this, but if I can't any more and there is no new ZTE phones hitting the US market, then I think other than community support for people still having ZTE phones, or just a social club to talk about non ZTE stuff. I have not found a replacement phone from a different company I like that is reasonably priced yet. We'll see what the 1+6T is like which will sell in the US, but beyond that...... Lets hope a Mod here or someone has something to say to keep us here.