Based off Tweet ZTE Might Have Something for IFA 2018!

Comments

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind in the US ZTE is the 4th largest manufacturer. They won't abandon this market I think. But the formula might change.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had said this in another post, but I am wondering if the USA regulators placed within the company are delaying new product launches in the USA for the time being until security concerns are addressed. They probably have to tread very softly with plans for new devices for the USA market and those things just weren't in place in time for this product launch. I am sure they didn't wan to further delay this product for other countries while they get their ducks in a row for the US market.

I don't think they are going to abandon the market here at all, but I think new products are going to subject for slow rollouts for the time being until the new processes are fully in place.

I just hate seeing this product delayed to this market (or skipped). I really want a new flagship phone RIGHT NOW and I still have a lot of things about ZTE I like. I wanted to stick with the Axon brand, but if I want a high end phone right now, they are not an option.

• rasalonrasalon Atlanta, GA., USAPosts: 75 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 3:26PM

correction @acatrus. US ZTE "WAS" the 4th largest. Now that the ban was in place, If I recall correctly they lost that place. Not even know if they are on the top 10 even. I could be wrong but last time I checked. If I hear no words from ZTE that a Axon 9 variant or a new ZTE phone is coming to the US soon to replace my ailing A7, then I/we may have to look for something else unfortunately. Throughout all this we have not heard a peep from the original guys here @Aerospaceman and @petershih or @jyee. Maybe they can shed some light on all of this and put things to bed. My point is, as nice as the A9 pro is, I/We can woo over it's flagship specs, however, I feel there is really no point in talking about a phone we can't get in the US natively. Meaning we would have to import it and pay those prices with no guarantee that the phone would even work in the US with all the 4G bands we have. Any thoughts anybody?

You are right, they were 4th. The phone was announced today, and a few hands-on review are live, so we'll heard more soon.

But if there no official support for America, I will pass.

The more I think about the Axon9 the more I think it's a solid device, but pricier.

Right now the best contender is the Asus 5Z

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit that I am disappointed there isn't a US model at this point. I read in an article yesterday that there was a US model that did not have the notch. Hopefully we will hear something from ZTE soon about their plans for the USA.

edited August 31, 2018 12:05AM

@acatrus @dnewman007 I hope you both are right and that they release something for the US soon. The phone without the notch was Blue Phone that looked like bigger Axon 7 with dual cameras from earlier this year before the ban when Oreo for the A7 was still in testing. The only thing I know is that ZTE only showed off a Pro Model. If there is a non "Pro" model that will make it to the USA, I hope the 3 users I called out in my previous comment say something or ZTE itself soon or else even you @dnewman007 I am sure will look for a different phone outside of ZTE to have as your daily phone. Like I said I will use my A7 until I completely can't stand the issues it has as I am just outside my passport 2 year warranty, and I have the mulah to do so.

As far as Asus 5Z phone, I looked it up. It is a Decent priced phone and looks allot like the A9 pro. Except for the following. Sony makes their cameras so they are different resolutions, Smaller battery, 3300 vs, 4000 on the A9 pro, Not sure because I can't tell from any of the reviews out there if the A9 Pro has a SD Card slot, but the Asus does. Same 6 gigs of ram, but the Asus has a sd card slot, but comes with only 64 Gigs of ram. Also it is a better than 1080P screen resolution vs. a 4k like the A9 has. Not sure what version of Android it comes with or if Asus is good at keeping up with security update patches and Android updates until a new model comes out. I do know that allot of people like Asus's Zen UI. So it is a little bit of a compromise in specs compared to the A9 pro minus the unknowns.

Other than maybe a Sony XZ2 or XZ3 (when that comes out (assuming it is a similar price point and even still the XZ2 retail was close to Samsung S9 prices(The XZ2 premium is like $1,000 and out of contention based on price I think))). The only other phone I can think of that is officially sold in the US and has similar current high end flagship specs and is at the similar mid range non flagship price point that is sold unlock only is the One+ 6. The One+ 6t when it comes out later this year but sort of like the ZTE Axon M, will be the 1st flagship phone from One+ that besides being sold unlocked will actually be sold by a carrier directly(T Mobile). Even though the phone specs and changes from the regular 6 have not been announced or even a existence of the device yet, other than the T Mobile confirm I mentioned, I am not sure of any other unlocked device that comes close the the A9 Pro or what A7 was price point and specs without being like $800 or more lika LG, Samsung, or Iphone assuming you can buy those unlocked which I am sure you can.

So hopefully something from ZTE soon because if not, then I say again, What is this forum for?

I don't mind a different version for US/Canada. Maybe something for Axon7 user.

But not something cheaper.

I wouldn't mind keeping the notch, I don't mind ZTE Vision, but would trade that technology for a better screen.

Also price I would lower price also

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My Axon 7 is over 2 years old now, and with no support in the US I will most likely be forced to look at options. Since I'm a T-Mobile customer, I will most likely go with the Oneplus 6T when released in October. It's a shame, I really liked the specs of the phone.

Wide angle camera on back, plus a solid 12M to match
    Wireless charging
    Stock Android 8.1 with Pie coming
    4000 mAh battery
    Bluetooth 5.0
    6GB Memory

Dislikes:
    No SD card slot, but I can live with 128Gb internal
    No headphone jack, doesn't bother me because all of my headphones are Bluetooth
    Stereo speakers yes, but NOT front facing
    No band 71 support for T-Mobile
    Notch is too big

• chuckbortchuckbort United StatesPosts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    My Axon 7 is over 2 years old now, and with no support in the US I will most likely be forced to look at options. Since I'm a T-Mobile customer, I will most likely go with the Oneplus 6T when released in October. It's a shame, I really liked the specs of the phone.

Wireless charging
    4000 mAh battery
    Bluetooth 5.0
    6GB Memory

Dislikes:
    Notch is too big

I am thinking the same thing with the OP 6T on T-Mobile.

Actualy it seems there is a SD card reader, accoring to various place

@hollap said:

Wireless charging
    4000 mAh battery
    Bluetooth 5.0
    6GB Memory
    :
    Notch is too big

@hollap I agree with your view on the new A9 Pro. Currently I'm using my Axon 7, and an S9 Plus. I bought the S9 Plus from Costco 3 months ago for $599 straight out. They had it $100 off and issued me a $100 Costco card. I was really wanting to get the new Axon 9 to test it out. I am also considering the Oneplus 6T if no Axon 9 comes to the US. Hopefully we will hear something soon on the Axon 9 front.

One Plus 6T might be in line for me also. I am not on T-Mobile though. I will just pay for it outright and forgo the device payment plan option TMobile customers will have as an option.

LG V40 looks interesting to me as well, but I am sure it will be $900-$1000. To much for me.

@jasonscarter said:
    One Plus 6T might be in line for me also. I am not on T-Mobile though. I will just pay for it outright and forgo the device payment plan option TMobile customers will have as an option.

LG V40 looks interesting to me as well, but I am sure it will be $900-$1000. To much for me.

@jasonscarter, It will be interesting to see how they price the unlocked model compared to the T-Mobile model. Also I wonder if they will include channel 71 on the unlocked model. You would think there has to be some differences between the 2 models.

71 is a non issue for me. Couldn't care less about it....so if it's left out of the unlocked model, fine with me.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 687 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2018 10:24AM

It's a bit of a disappointment that no info about a N. American variant release has been mentioned yet, anywhere I've read. I know there is supposed to be a variant without a notch that I assume was/is the regular A9, maybe that'll be the N. American variant and ZTE will make an announcement once all is in order here in N.A. If the latter is the case, let's hope an announcement is made rather soon for the loyal ZTE fans and Axon7 owners who have waited for the Axon7 successor..

With all that being said, despite my distaste for the notch I must say I like the device except for the price which is more than the OP6. If they could've kept it at least close to the OP6 that would've been great!

I am liking that Zenphone 5Z. Yes the screen is only HD+ indtraed of QHD or 4k, yes the internal storage is still only 64GB for the US variant (but unlike the Hauwei, the One+ phones so far, and if I read reviews right, the A9, there is a MicroSD card slot that can handle up to 2TB), and yes only a 1 year MFGW, and yes no official awesome forum like this community in Asus's stable that I found yet, and yes it is a non Amoled regular IPS+ Glass Screen, but at $499 it is still a cheaper unlocked flagship specked phone than any other phone out there with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, 6GB ram with a decent 6.2" screen in it. Cheaper than the 1+6 (we'll see what the T costs), The Axon 9 pro international version (price converted) and other phones with a a flagship 845 in it. Carrier and store deals like the S9+ that @dnewman007 got outright which usually costs allot more (especially for a non carrier unlocked phone) As we get closer to the US Holiday season we'll see what everyone else is doing. We still got the Iphone even on Sep. 11, we still have yet to see US sale and pricing on the Asus ROG phone, Last year's flagship specked Razer Phone is going strong and maybe they will have an upgraded model. So we'll see what happens. I am just limping along with my A7 still as my daily driver, but at some point as it is ailing I may have no choice (if nothing new from ZTE) but to switch to something like the Zenphone 5Z etc. We'll see.

@rasalon said:
    I am liking that Zenphone 5Z. Yes the screen is only HD+ indtraed of QHD or 4k, yes the internal storage is still only 64GB for the US variant (but unlike the Hauwei, the One+ phones so far, and if I read reviews right, the A9, there is a MicroSD card slot that can handle up to 2TB), and yes only a 1 year MFGW, and yes no official awesome forum like this community in Asus's stable that I found yet, and yes it is a non Amoled regular IPS+ Glass Screen, but at $499 it is still a cheaper unlocked flagship specked phone than any other phone out there with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, 6GB ram with a decent 6.2" screen in it. Cheaper than the 1+6 (we'll see what the T costs), The Axon 9 pro international version (price converted) and other phones with a a flagship 845 in it. Carrier and store deals like the S9+ that @dnewman007 got outright which usually costs allot more (especially for a non carrier unlocked phone) As we get closer to the US Holiday season we'll see what everyone else is doing. We still got the Iphone even on Sep. 11, we still have yet to see US sale and pricing on the Asus ROG phone, Last year's flagship specked Razer Phone is going strong and maybe they will have an upgraded model. So we'll see what happens. I am just limping along with my A7 still as my daily driver, but at some point as it is ailing I may have no choice (if nothing new from ZTE) but to switch to something like the Zenphone 5Z etc. We'll see.

@ rasalon, ZTE could be waiting to release a US model to see what is going to happens with the tarrif situation. Who knows, I hope someone will say something soon.

I'll repost a comment I made in another thread @dnewman007. It is interesting and if my instincts are correct, I hope you are right.

@rasalon said:

This is it: our amazing #ZTE #Axon9Pro with #AI camera! See first impressions: pic.twitter.com/gyOnFYxoaU

— ZTE Mobile DE (@ZTE_Mobile_DE) August 31, 2018

This is a picture from ZTE Mobile Devices. It shows the Axon 9 on Display like it could be in a store from their IFA display listing all the phones specs etc. What is curious to me is picture#2 of the 4 there which is a closeup of the specs for the A9. If you look at the top spec. listed, which lists the countries that this phone has celular bands for I assume, besides Europe and Asian Countries, the sign also says US, CAN and others. Again under "Global Band Compliant Planning". For a phone that has no plans of coming to North America as far as reports say, I wonder why they would even list US and Canada bands being a point for this phone. I know that phone brands that do not sell in the US like Xiomi, OPPO, and others, don't even have bands for US on their phones because their phones are not designed for sale in for North American use. So I wonder if something is coming down the pipe. Interesting, you think? I know with the Axon 7 because of feedback and then adding the 3 painted on buttons at the bottom of the phone vs. on screen popup buttons like the Global variant had, the launch of the US A7 variant was delayed and then Canada surely followed. So not that this phone would look good with physical buttons, but maybe ZTE is doing something like that? All I can say is we'll see.

Interesting

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure it's because people from the countries it will be selling in will travel to N. America. So they can still use their phones.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 687 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 5:42PM

@jyee said:
    @hollap - a quick correction. The Axon 9 Pro does have an SD card slot.

@ All - thanks for the comments regarding Axon 9 Pro. We do hope to get an Axon to the US in the near future and appreciate all of your feedback and comments.

@hollap said:

Wireless charging
    4000 mAh battery
    Bluetooth 5.0
    6GB Memory

Dislikes:

> No SD card slot, but I can live with 128Gb internal

Notch is too big

Knowing that ZTE does plan on bringing an Axon device to the the US in the near future is great news. It eases my mind and gets my hopes up. Thanks @jyee

Thanks for the update @ jyee.

edited September 8, 2018 8:16PM

In the near future is rather vague. It's better than a no, but will my Axon7 break before that???

If we only new how long the "near future" was.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just got an email survey from ZTEUSA; I'm now confidant the US has not been forgotten.

No survey here...hope it was for something worthwhile!

• chuckbortchuckbort United StatesPosts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    No survey here...hope it was for something worthwhile!

Me either.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jyee said:
    @hollap - a quick correction. The Axon 9 Pro does have an SD card slot.

@ All - thanks for the comments regarding Axon 9 Pro. We do hope to get an Axon to the US in the near future and appreciate all of your feedback and comments.

@hollap said:

Wireless charging
    4000 mAh battery
    Bluetooth 5.0
    6GB Memory

Dislikes:

> No SD card slot, but I can live with 128Gb internal

Notch is too big

Thanks for the update @jyee! it's good to know the SD card slot is there, it can be difficult early on to gather correct specs from the different blogs and sites. Also good to know that ZTE is looking to the US again! As others have stated I wish we knew when, but I hope it's sooner than later.

@saeedted What kind of survey did you get from ZTE-USA? What was it about?