Axon 9 Pro

blatidoblatido Posts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally, it was presented today in Berlin... https://www.gsmarena.com/the_zte_axon_9_pro_runs_stock_android_boasts_stereo_speakers_and_a_large_batery-news-33019.php

All the specs you would expect from a 2018 flagship phone, including water resistance. Drawbacks? In my opinion: no 3.5mm audio jack, $745 usd price and it won't be available in the US market.

I think the Asus Zenfone 5Z it's a much better value for the money, even with a smaller battery and no waterproofing.

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Think most comments are in the other post, but the lack of mentioning a USA release makes me wonder if somehow ZTE still has some challenges in getting new devices in the USA market after the ban. Perhaps those USA government regulators are delaying the process with additional checks. I really hope we don't have to wait into 2019 for a another flagship Axon device here.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

for the price and specs, Axon Pro 9 is pretty good. Given to the fact that you get 128GB of storage, IP68, wireless charging, stereo speaker, 4000mAh of battery life, it's fairly well rounded device for its price. I think the notch and the lack of 3.5mm can be somewhat disappointment for some. Overall, it's a decent phone for the price. Looks to me the software has been improved to more stock look and if the camera holds up against the competitor, then it could be a good competitor.

Sadly, the phone is not coming to the US.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Notch plus removal of the 3.5 jack equals no way for me. Plus the phone is just too big. Huge fail as far as I am concerned.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Carrier is king in the USA, and I doubt no one want a deal with ZTE. Only option is selling directly to customer, and the price is high

• lee18lee18 United StatesPosts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it was kinda disappointing to say the least. Even if they did eventually bring it to the US, carriers definitely won't carry it now. That price tag makes it very unlikely lots of people will buy it unlocked (especially given the other offerings via Samsung, LG, Asus, and even OnePlus that are cheaper).

• TGstringTGstring TorontoPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

no 3.5? no sale. Not helping the situation is that it'll be hard to recommend zte being left in the cold with an axon7 purchased in Canada. We had no issues similar to the USA here and we still got shafted.... we're 2 updates behind. Thanks for nothing.

• cacarrcacarr Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 4:21AM

DOA. They utterly forgot or misunderstood what people liked about the Axon 7 -- a unique phone, with exceptional hardware for the money; front-facing speakers, high-quality headphone jack with great sound; etc.

They finally have some sort of clue as to what N. Americans want in a ROM, and I'm seriously doubting we'll ever see it.

And if it does become available in the States, why would anyone buy it over the OnePlus 6T?

Axon 9 Pro is likely the last phone they'll ever make.

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cacarr said:

There's an overstatement. ZTE sells vastly vastly more low end phones than flagships. It might be the last flagship they produce, but even of that is true that's a really really small portion of their phone revenue which in turn is a small piece of their overall revenue.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@louisd said:

@cacarr said:

There's an overstatement. ZTE sells vastly vastly more low end phones than flagships. It might be the last flagship they produce, but even of that is true that's a really really small portion of their phone revenue which in turn is a small piece of their overall revenue.

What @louisd said. Exactly.

• js1701js1701 United StatesPosts: 138 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. Too pricey to be "budget friendly". No 3.5 jack & a notch. Pass.

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love my A7 but would not spend $745 for the A9 even if it were available in the US.

Sad.

745$ US, so 975$ CDN for me. At this price I pass, because since the only way to get one is to buy directly, at this price point, might as well go on contract with my carrier.

Paid around 600$ CDN for the Axon7 2 years ago. I won't pay more than that.

• brunormcbrunormc Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

There are several issues to consider, and price is one of them.
    1) Specifications. Nothing new and especially nothing exceptional. If anything the screen resolution itself is a backward step. The other specs are close to what the competition offers at the similar price points.
    2) Market stability. The European market has a stable relationship with China, and ZTE can safely assume that tariffs and commerce will remain unchanged for the next year or two. In the US, we are at the mercy of a tweet from you know who, and that is not the way industry likes to invest its money. The same goes for commitment from carriers, who do not want to be saddled with inventory that does not move because of tweets.
    3) Price. The European price includes Value Added Tax, which for cellphones is around 22%. Here we pay sales tax on top of the purchase price, and it is a lower percentage. So the perception of price is different.

If things stabilize then we are likely to see a similar or better product here, but for now there will not be much new investment by any Chinese company for items to be exported to the USA. On the other hand.......ZTE might want to set up a plant here, and that would be a totally different ballgame.

• js1701js1701 United StatesPosts: 138 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brunormc said:

"... In the US, we are at the mercy of a tweet from you know who..."

Oh, you mean #Twittler ? LOL

• Harish_SridharanHarish_Sridharan DuPont WA Posts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to admit it but I have now lost faith in ZTE and I'm going back to my OnePlus 6

• brydges81brydges81 South AfricaPosts: 4 ✭✭

Definitely a mistake not letting Designworks do the design again like on the Axon 7. It seems ZTE was trying to save money and it didn't work.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was expecting to see a new Axon 9 for the USA. I am disappointed that did not happen yet.

I won't say I'm disapointed by the Axon 9, because all hands-on review says it's a solid device, and one of the best new models.

But, as a Axon 7 user, I feel like ZTE has nothing for me. We have no information about LTE Bands, will it be import friendly. Also it's design, while ok, it not as impressive as the 7.

If ZTE would open an online shop, do worldwide support, OTA work everywhere, OS is global with multiple language, this device could have a chance.

I feel like ZTE want us to pay, American (All America, not USA) for what happenned. The customer don't have to pay if there is a trade war with China. And there is also a trade war with Mexico and Canada...

Wait and see they say...

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:
    I was expecting to see a new Axon 9 for the USA. I am disappointed that did not happen yet.

Same here....😥

• rasalonrasalon Customer Service/PC Technician United StatesPosts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:

Looks like it may not happen at all. Hopefully I am just cynical and maybe it will come true. For those whom are still using their Axon 7 as their daily driver still waiting for that phone to be completely unusable (meaning completely or close to death) or can't deal with the 2 year old phone any more (mine stopped quick charging a while ago and the battery doesn't last long), then I think we should all start looking at Flagship alternatives. Again I hope my comment is proven wrong and cynical but........

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rasalon said:

@dnewman007 said:

Looks like it may not happen at all. Hopefully I am just cynical and maybe it will come true. For those whom are still using their Axon 7 as their daily driver still waiting for that phone to be completely unusable (meaning completely or close to death) or can't deal with the 2 year old phone any more (mine stopped quick charging a while ago and the battery doesn't last long), then I think we should all start looking at Flagship alternatives. Again I hope my comment is proven wrong and cynical but........

Hopefully there will be some news as to whether there will be an Azon 9 for the US soon. I know many people are ready to purchase another flagship device and are currently making decisions about it.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

DOA. They could've just improved on the Axon 7, but they didn't listen to us at all. The Axon 9 is already dead before it's released. The POCO F1 is a much better value for half the price. Even disregarding budget phones, the OP6 and the future op6t will provide much better value for the price. The Axon 9 just looks like a cheap Chinese iPhone knockoff.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

POCO F1 is not officially available in the USA though. Lots of phones you can import, but some people won't go through that trouble and forgo warranty and support.

• castanetcastanet Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

Does it have a microSD card slot ?

• rasalonrasalon Customer Service/PC Technician United StatesPosts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018 6:37PM

This is it: our amazing #ZTE #Axon9Pro with #AI camera! See first impressions: pic.twitter.com/gyOnFYxoaU

— ZTE Mobile DE (@ZTE_Mobile_DE) August 31, 2018

This is a picture from ZTE Mobile Devices. It shows the Axon 9 on Display like it could be in a store from their IFA display listing all the phones specs etc. What is curious to me is picture#2 of the 4 there which is a closeup of the specs for the A9. If you look at the top spec. listed, which lists the countries that this phone has celular bands for I assume, besides Europe and Asian Countries, the sign also says US, CAN and others. Again under "Global Band Compliant Planning". For a phone that has no plans of coming to North America as far as reports say, I wonder why they would even list US and Canada bands being a point for this phone. I know that phone brands that do not sell in the US like Xiomi, OPPO, and others, don't even have bands for US on their phones because their phones are not designed for sale in for North American use. So I wonder if something is coming down the pipe. Interesting, you think? I know with the Axon 7 because of feedback and then adding the 3 painted on buttons at the bottom of the phone vs. on screen popup buttons like the Global variant had, the launch of the US A7 variant was delayed and then Canada surely followed. So not that this phone would look good with physical buttons, but maybe ZTE is doing something like that? All I can say is we'll see.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2018 1:13PM

@rasalon said:

This is it: our amazing #ZTE #Axon9Pro with #AI camera! See first impressions: pic.twitter.com/gyOnFYxoaU

— ZTE Mobile DE (@ZTE_Mobile_DE) August 31, 2018

This is a picture from ZTE Mobile Devices. It shows the Axon 9 on Display like it could be in a store from their IFA display listing all the phones specs etc. What is curious to me is picture#2 of the 4 there which is a closeup of the specs for the A9. If you look at the top spec. listed, which lists the countries that this phone has celular bands for I assume, besides Europe and Asian Countries, the sign also says US, CAN and others.

Thanks @rasalon . Here is the photo with that GBCP info. I haven't read up on the GBCP much. Could it have those bands just in case a user travels to the US or Canada (that's a good thing for N.A. users )? I know it's more expensive to add bands that aren't needed for countries the device won't even be sold in. I think ZTE's intentions are to bring the device to N.A., but ZTE is making sure everything is tidied up and in place after the ban to avoid any more problems. We'll see🤷🏼‍♂️

SO disappointed. Expensive, but to add Water protection and wireless charging is not cheap. I love the blue color and features though for sure.

It's expensive because it's ZTE. But for what it is it's an ok price. If ZTE would do a trade-in program to lower the cost, this would be very attractive

@acatrus said:
    It's expensive because it's ZTE. But for what it is it's an ok price. If ZTE would do a trade-in program to lower the cost, this would be very attractive

ZTE is known for everything but being expensive.